• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Kolbe1894 for posting this in the demo game play thread. This channel seems to have gotten the comparison out real quick between the PS5 and Series S|X version.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary from the video description:

- In PS5 and Series X the Ray-Tracing mode is activated by default. In S Series it must be activated.
- Resolution is identical on PS5 and SeriesX. Both run at 2160p and, although it uses a checkerboard-like technique unique to RE Engine, the game seems to never drop below 2160p. S series runs at 1440p.
- In the Xbox versions the lighting seems somewhat warmer in the town area. Personally I find it more successful since the PS5 version sometimes gives a too blue tone. In any case, it is a setting that we can easily change on our TVs.
- Series X performs better than PS5 with Ray-Tracing activated, suffering fewer drops. Higher stress areas will have to be tested in the final version to better see the differences.
- In Series S, we have an average of 40FPS with the RT activated. I recommend playing without RT in this version, since we will get a practically stable 60FPS.
- The quality of the Ray-Tracing in global illumination as in reflections is identical.
- Loading times are slightly faster on PS5, about 3 seconds. Excellent loading times in all 3 versions.
- Same quality of shadows, textures and anisotropic filtering in the 3 versions.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Suprised the Series S fps is uncapped with RT on because it felt awful to play in the village.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Suprised the Series S fps is uncapped with RT on because it felt awful to play in the village.

Same thing with the PS4 Pro. The "4K" mode runs un-capped, when it REALLY oughta have been a 30 FPS cap.

It's either somehow baked into the engine in such a way that Capcom isn't able to ... or it's just a massive oversight ... that there isn't a 30 FPS cap for Pro/SS and likely Xbox One X.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Capcom wasn't really lying when they said 45 fps for Series S RT mode huh. It seems to hover around there most of the time, or a little lower. Still prob better to cap at 30 for smoothness. I doubt changing to 1080p would be enough. Doesn't even seem like RT is worth it? I can't even see a difference, really. I mean, the other consoles it's almost 60 always so I guess if you want, go for it.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Capcom wasn't really lying when they said 45 fps for Series S RT mode huh. It seems to hover around there most of the time, or a little lower. Still prob better to cap at 30 for smoothness. I doubt changing to 1080p would be enough. Doesn't even seem like RT is worth it? I can't even see a difference, really. I mean, the other consoles it's almost 60 always so I guess if you want, go for it.

They said 1440p30 for the RT mode and 1440p45 for the performance mode. In other words they undersold the games performance on all platforms.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They said 1440p30 for the RT mode and 1440p45 for the performance mode. In other words they undersold the games performance on all platforms.
Oh, gotcha. Definitely surprised then. It's doing great on non RT for a game running at 1440p and not lower at performance mode! Great little machine. Even tho I have an XSX, I think the S gets a bad rap, but Capcom showing some work.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The gamma looks the same. Could just be my brightness settings then.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
- In Series S, we have an average of 40FPS with the RT activated. I recommend playing without RT in this version, since we will get a practically stable 60FPS.
Why are developers doing this? Cap it at 30 if a mode is running ~40FPS average. Thanks for the summary Chandoog

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Can you deactivate RT on PS5?
Would have been nice if there was any 1440p option on the PS5 version for those with a 1080p display.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Does RT affect the lighting in addition to reflections?

In some areas it does feel like it yes, in one section near the end of the village part, RT on adds volumetric fog and light reflects on it where none of that's there with RT off.

There are also these comparisons from NXGamer from last week.

181jjp.png

246kgf.png

366ju7.png

4ltjk04gkcj.png

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
In some areas it does feel like it yes, in one section near the end of the village part, RT on adds volumetric fog and light reflects on it where none of that's there with RT off.

Oh my, definitely playing with RT on, thanks Chand.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you deactivate RT on PS5?
Would have been nice if there was any 1440p option on the PS5 version for those with a 1080p display.
Doesn't need to go that low. I was just messing around with this on PC and benching it myself. Like, if this was just below 4k it'd be locked on series X and PS5 with RT on. 1800p would be more than enough. Could probably be higher than that.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Doesn't need to go that low. I was just messing around with this on PC and benching it myself. Like, if this was just below 4k it'd be locked on series X and PS5 with RT on. 1800p would be more than enough. Could probably be higher than that.
Sure! Forgot about that potential possibility. Hope Capcom adds 1800p RT ON/OFF support for PS5/X.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
As someone with both a PS5 and Series X I'll most likely get it on Series X because of VRR alone. This is one of those games that I'd rather get on PS5 because of it's history but until Sony implements VRR on PS5 I'll stick to Series X.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, PC for me. I have both the consoles but they seem to struggle in some areas.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I'll go with PC with this one due to 120hz, but if I had to choose between consoles, Series X is clearly the way to go: VRR, better performance, Quick Resume... Sony has to offer VRR and Quick Resume ASAP, we are almost 6 months in the new gen, come on.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I knew how the results all arround was gonna be looking at the amount of posts before opening the thread haha

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Resi looks to be the perfect example why VRR is so damn important. Looks like Series X is the way to go

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
[QUOTE="arsene_P5]
Quick Resume isn't as easily addable imo. After all it relies on VM and PS games don't run in VM. If PS ever gets the feature it'll be a while imo.
[/QUOTE]

A shame then, for me Quick Resume is the most next gen feature out there. I no longer want to play on PC due to it.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Summary from the video description:

- In PS5 and Series X the Ray-Tracing mode is activated by default. In S Series it must be activated.
- Resolution is identical on PS5 and SeriesX. Both run at 2160p and, although it uses a checkerboard-like technique unique to RE Engine, the game seems to never drop below 2160p. S series runs at 1440p.
- In the Xbox versions the lighting seems somewhat warmer in the town area. Personally I find it more successful since the PS5 version sometimes gives a too blue tone. In any case, it is a setting that we can easily change on our TVs.
- Series X performs better than PS5 with Ray-Tracing activated, suffering fewer drops. Higher stress areas will have to be tested in the final version to better see the differences.
- The quality of the Ray-Tracing in global illumination as in reflections is identical.
- Loading times are slightly faster on PS5, about 3 seconds. Excellent loading times in all 3 versions.
- Same quality of shadows, textures and anisotropic filtering in the 3 versions.

good, thanks!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap those RT comparison shots are incredible. Astonishing how much of a difference it makes.
To think this is only the beginning of the generation.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Aiming controls are incredibly fucked up on Series X. VRR ain't worth that (coming from a C9 owner).

Hopefully there will be a patch to adress that issue. But there are not many people complaining about that, so here's hoping it's not too bad.

VRR on the other hand is just incredible, probably one of the best next gen features. Playing Resi on my CX without any hitches? I'm game.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Can't wait for Unreal 5 games to arrive. Their non-triangle RT GI looks just as good as RT GI, and that should allow these consoles to focus their RT hardware on reflections. Not to mention unlimited detail with Nanite. Imagine how incredible games are going to look.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's wrong with the controls on Series X?

Quoting myself from the demo thread:

Aiming is completely borked for me on my stock Series X controller. This is what happens when I try to move the reticule in a circle (acceleration off, aiming sensitivity at 2):

It's like the diagonals are at a lower sensitivity which causes the movement gets hung up on them. Same issue as launch Uncharted 3. Tried MCC and Doom Eternal on the same controller and they felt fine. Oddly enough, using my Elite controller fixes the issue about 80-90% but I still feel a slight bit of that mushiness on occasion. PS5 feels completely flawless (same settings, acceleration off with 2 sensitivity):

tl;dr right stick diagonals on Xbox seems to be at a lower sensitivity which makes camera movement feel randomly heavy and inconsistent.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Can't wait for Unreal 5 games to arrive. Their non-triangle RT GI looks just as good as RT GI, and that should allow these consoles to focus their RT hardware on reflections. Not to mention unlimited detail with Nanite. Imagine how incredible games are going to look.
Standard Ray Traced techniques probably wouldnt work well with Unreal Engine 5's Nanite (the more polygons, the complex the BVH, and Nanite pushes in a lot of polygons), this is why they made Lumen that does not rely on triangle based RT and rather on a combination of multiple techniques to get very close to real time Ray Traced global illumination, well, I am saying that, but there are 2 possibilities for the RT hardware usage.

The first is to take the same approach that Housemarque did for Returnal, use the Ray Traced acceleration to speed up the rasterized GI solution in areas where it could be done faster with that unit's capabilities, given that it is trying to imitate the effects of Ray Tracing, it is not crazy to imagine that the hardware could still serve some use in that even on a technique that does not directly try to trace light particles (it is possible that Lumen is already doing that to be fair, but I dont think Epic said you need an RT supporting card for it). That way Lumen could be done quicker and have developers push other graphical aspects beside Ray Tracing.

The second approach would be to create a simplified version of the world and keep it stored in memory and have the RT hardware creates a BVH tree of it and run its RT calculations based on that, the advantage is that you obviously can get more Ray Traced effects, but the disadvantages are that depending on how Nanite works, it could invalidate a major advantage of the technology (still gotta create manual LoDs for RT), and Lumen costs more performance. If Nanite can have the capacity to self generate simpler LoDs for the use case of RT then that would at least make the problem easier.

Personally, I rather the first appraoch, it could make Lumen that much more performant and help developers push other effects beside RT while still looking very convincing as... well, UE5's Lumen is just really impressive, and it doesnt make the developer's jobs potentially harder by forcing them to manually make LoDs regardless of Nanite.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Quoting myself from the demo thread:

tl;dr right stick diagonals on Xbox seems to be at a lower sensitivity which makes camera movement feel randomly heavy and inconsistent.

Yeah, I noticed this straight away as well. Definitely going to go with the PS5 version as the lack of VRR isn't as big a deal-breaker to me compared to wonky controls. Sucks, because I feel like my Series X is being neglected a bit when it comes to new games :(

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

181jjp.png

246kgf.png

366ju7.png

4ltjk04gkcj.png
Damn that's a bigger difference than I expected.