• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
On my death bed, as my life flashes before my eyes, I'll remember those eight seconds. Those damned eight seconds. I could have used eight seconds to think about making a sandwich, or to inhale once, but no - I wasted it. Wasted on a fucking loading screen.

To hell with you, Capcom. You took those eight seconds away from me, you bastards.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Great video!
I have an LG CX TV and I know it supports VRR but I'd it just always on? I'm definitely getting on Series X If I can use the VRR to smooth out the little bumps while RT is on.

I can't believe we have a 4K60 with RT this early in the new generation. On a cross gen game no less. The future is gonna be crazy

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I went with the Series X version. The fact that the game sticks very close to 60fps most of the time with RT on is really cool.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Must be something wrong with the Xbox port. The RE8 demo on Steam loaded in a couple of seconds on my basic-ass SSD.
Another user earlier in the topic posted a video, I think, showing a 5 second initial load.

Could be a multitude of things. By tomorrow we'll have more user samples to compare.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
User warned: Platform wars
Oh boy, DF comparison threads are fantastic.

One console with X in the name has higher resolution in a game: "Pff, you can't even see the differences. Framerate is KING."

One console with X in the name has higher framerates plus VRR for basically a flawless output: "Framerate is KIN... fuck Framerate. Loading times ftw!"

Just for the record: I LOVE what Capcom has done with both versions. Looks really, really good for both platforms and both of em deserve it. That goal post moving is extremely entertaining, tho.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
The 6-7 second vs 2-4fps argument(s) are as silly as they can get. Just get it on the machine you prefer. Simple. There is no 'gotcha' in either case because it isn't a matter-of-fact 'win' for either of them. What part of one of the closest calls we've ever seen have people let fly past them?
Seriously. Lmao. No one's going to be disappointed technically.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh the aiming is completely fixed btw on Series X. You can make small perfect circles unlike before.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I thought it was still there until I cranked it down from 4 aiming speed to 2 just to check.

Last edited:

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
But you're going to be dealing with FPS performance 99% of the time that you're interacting with the game. Isn't that a better trade off than load times that are 5 seconds faster? It's not like the XSX version has MGS4 load times or something.

Can always turn RT off if it's much of an issue. If it's just one loading for the entire thing, then that's not bad. But I'd take the hit if there was more instances of needing to load to just save that time. I relish fast loading.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Quick Resume kinda nullifies this debate anyway.

Quick Resume is hit or miss. I don't rely on it because so many games don't support it and I can never tell so I always make sure I save a game before I close it just in case. Plus again, when you die you have to load regardless.

Also the Series X has dead zone issues when PS5 doesn't. I wish DF covered that.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Quick Resume is hit or miss. I don't rely on it because so many games don't support it and I can never tell so I always make sure I save a game before I close it just in case. Plus again, when you die you have to load regardless.

Also the Series X has dead zone issues when PS5 doesn't. I wish DF covered that.

Quick Resume is definetly not hit or miss.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Great video!
I have an LG CX TV and I know it supports VRR but I'd it just always on? I'm definitely getting on Series X If I can use the VRR to smooth out the little bumps while RT is on.

I can't believe we have a 4K60 with RT this early in the new generation. On a cross gen game no less. The future is gonna be crazy

I think it is.

I'lol be playing this on it in the next 30 mins. Excited!

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Lol people are not really picking up ps5 version instead just because of the load time right?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does the full game have better dualsense motion controls? Or is it still the same nonsense that was in the demo?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Its wild seeing one version of the game have a loading screen while the other just uh... doesn't.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oh the aiming is completely fixed btw on Series X. You can make small perfect circles unlike before.

The circle thing is a symptom more than the actual problem imo. My issue is that diagonals are slowed down. Trying to aim in a wide circle is just the easiest way to demonstrate this. Full game felt the exact same as the demo to me. This is what I'm talking about (9 sensitivity, no acceleration):

I don't know how much of it comes through the video because it's something you ultimately have to feel, but the diagonal movements are clearly more sluggish to me than the cardinal directions. It feels really bad to me whenever it happens.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Did they fix Gyro aiming on PS5? I remember reading that one of demos had it, but it was busted.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
The circle thing is a symptom more than the actual problem imo. My issue is that diagonals are slowed down. Trying to aim in a wide circle is just the easiest way to demonstrate this. Full game felt the exact same as the demo to me. This is what I'm talking about (9 sensitivity, no acceleration):

I don't know how much of it comes through the video because it's something you ultimately have to feel, but the diagonal movements are clearly more sluggish to me than the cardinal directions. It feels really bad to me whenever it happens.

What about at aim speed 2 like your original video?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I mean 8 second load time is great, but the PS5 is essentially non existent. And so far going between my kids PS4 and my PS5 it is the biggest game changer. Love the SSD in both consoles the difference it makes to general QOL is out of this world!

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
But you're going to be dealing with FPS performance 99% of the time that you're interacting with the game. Isn't that a better trade off than load times that are 5 seconds faster? It's not like the XSX version has MGS4 load times or something.

don't slander mgs4. Those egg scenes were pivotal plot points.

in general differences seem pretty minor.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I played the ps5 and xbox demo and it was definitely faster loading in ps5 but I'm playing the retail series x version and it doesn't feel like 8 seconds. Must be a certain section of the game. Feels like 3-5 to me where I'm at.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so too. I'll have to mess around with this, as someone who doesn't always enjoy the motion of my CX.

I think it was a digital foundry direct, their new weekly podcast show where he went into detail about how with HDR the extra brightness can counter the motion so you have better motion and no brightness lost essentially.

I can't remember the game, but I'm sure he said it in regards to a 2D style game. Makes sense to me as it would fix any issues with motion while having great brightness.

I only have an E8 so no idea if this would work but I always found BFI to have this weird flickering that I just can't see past, but as I said I have no idea if newer models have fixed this

EDIT: he talks about in for samurai Shodown 120fps mode at 34:09. Says it gives perfect motion with no brightness loss, and reminds him of playing fighting games on a CRT

Last edited:

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Just a pet peeve, people that want to make comparisons need to compare apples to apples. If you want to use percentages, use percentages for both metrics, if you want to use differences, use them for both if you want to use absolute values use them for both.

So it's either framerate difference is 6 fps and load time difference is 6.9 s or it's framerate is 12.5% greater on XSX / 11.1% smaller on PS5 and loading times are 78.9% smaller on PS5 / 439.5% greater on XSX or it's minimum framerates are 48 and 54 fps and load times are 1.57 and 8.47 s.

Do not mix if you want to make fair comparisons

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I think it was a digital foundry direct, their new weekly podcast show where he went into detail about how with HDR the extra brightness can counter the motion so you have better motion and no brightness lost essentially.

I can't remember the game, but I'm sure he said it in regards to a 2D style game. Makes sense to me as it would fix any issues with motion while having great brightness.

I only have an E8 so no idea if this would work but I always found BFI to have this weird flickering that I just can't see past, but as I said I have no idea if newer models have fixed this

EDIT: he talks about in for samurai Shodown 120fps mode at 34:09. Says it gives perfect motion with no brightness loss, and reminds him of playing fighting games on a CRT
Yeah in this video he enabled tone mapping to make up for the loss in brightness.