• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
this is where I'm at...like are you people serious??!!

My hope is after seeing the load times in Ratchet and Clank that all non cross gen games on PS5 can load similar times. Especially if they aren't even loading a full entire world like R&C is doing. Maybe multiplats will get there too?

Before this gen started, I really did think we would get to the point where there would literally be no transitions/loading screens at all. I'm still holding out hope after seeing the entire world change when Rivet hit that gem and changed the scene. To hear Jstevenson say it will be faster in the final release is mind boggling.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
2-3 frames can make all the difference sometimes. If one is consistently hitting 60 while the other is struggling to maintain 60, it's very noticeable.

Neither is, in this case. Both, as described, go as low as high 40s, so in the instances highlighted, you're looking at...what? 49 vs 52 for a few seconds? Imperceptible, unless your work depends on dissecting said titles, ala DF or NXgamer...

Oct 27, 2017
Neither is, in this case. Both, as described, go as low as high 40s, so in the instances highlighted, you're looking at...what? 49 vs 52 for a few seconds? Imperceptible, unless your work depends on dissecting said titles, ala DF or NXgamer...

Agree. The load times would be far more noticeable and evident than the frame rate differential. But even 8ish seconds is still relatively quick. It's just that compared to PS5, it sticks out more, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I'm furious. 6 seconds loading when starting the game.

said no one ever, except era.
It's one of the only loads too, lol. I mean, PS5 is shorter, but it's a difference of 6 seconds in a one-time load. The majority of actually playing the game is load-free on both, so this barely even registers as something to care about

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No. Cerny did. Ms only gave theoretical numbers, the best case scenario, like they usually do
No they didn't, but I also can't be bothered to search quotes for you, because you try to spin it however you want anyways. You clearly showed this with your nonsense comparison of RAW (Xbox) vs compressed (PS).

Edit: You can try the DF interview about Series X, though.
Cerny has said it all. Raw speed is only one part of the problem, the biggest problems are the numerous bottlenecks still present on traditionnal consoles, PC and on Xbox Series
Cerny outlined what everyone knows on the industry and everyone worked on, albeit the solutions are different. What do you think DirectStorage, which is part of the VA actually is? Seriously...

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Also that graphic is comparing SSD to HDD, and the difference of sticking an SSD in your PS4 vs. no bottlenecks - bottlenecks are something the PS5 still has.
People like him don't get that Cerny wasn't deep diving Xbox vs PS. All his comparisons where about how it was done in the past (PS4) and how it's progressed with PS5.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
What is this I keep seeing about the Series X and this game re:the controller?

Ive been playing some RE games I love on Xbox for the first time on my Series X. I played REmake, 7, and now 2 remake and think they all look and play great on Series X. But I keep seeing something about the Series X controller and RE8 not meshing well or something. Should I cancel my Series X preorder and get it for PS5 instead?

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of the only loads too, lol. I mean, PS5 is shorter, but it's a difference of 6 seconds in a one-time load. The majority of actually playing the game is load-free on both, so this barely even registers as something to care about

This.

I saw the posts from and expected to see multiple cases of loading in the game.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

Ive been playing some RE games I love on Xbox for the first time on my Series X. I played REmake, 7, and now 2 remake and think they all look and play great on Series X. But I keep seeing something about the Series X controller and RE8 not meshing well or something. Should I cancel my Series X preorder and get it for PS5 instead?

Yes me too. I need confirmation this game plays fine on xbox and isn't needing a patch before I break the seal tomorrow.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I don't understand why they put spoilers in their videos
I would like to get the info before buying the game but I can't because of spoilers

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Yes me too. I need confirmation this game plays fine on xbox and isn't needing a patch before I break the seal tomorrow.
Just from my experience, the diagonals move much, much slower than the cardinal directions. Personally, it's not really something that seems to affect how I aim (I guess I maybe tend to aim left/right then up/down? not using diagonals much?) but I didn't notice it in the demo either and it seemed to rub people the wrong way.

I'd have to guess if it bothered you in the demo then it'll probably bother you in the main game? Hard to say though, since like I said, I didn't notice it in the demo and it's not like I can go back and compare now. I guess you'll just have to wait for more impressions from others starting tomorrow.

edit: Oh my God, I just unpaused and startled the EFF outta myself, lol. It was nothing, but I thought I saw something (I'll leave it at that).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Andromeda
From the link you posted of Cerny. The first picture was literally about PS4:
You can see this on PlayStation 4 if I use an SSD with 10 times the speed of a standard hard drive I probably see only double the loading speed if that
But keep believing in your dream that IO bottlenecks are only solved by Sony and nobody else worked on them. If you wake up from your dream, you could try and Google RTX IO, DirectStorage, Velocity Architecture, decompression block on Xbox and how PC in the future will tackle decompression of so much data. The info is out there...

Cerny hit it out of the park with the PS5 and made many good choices. But please just stop with the nonsense that PC and Series X|S are IO bottlenecked like traditional consoles.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I don't understand why they put spoilers in their videos
I would like to get the info before buying the game but I can't because of spoilers

They have to show gameplay and they have to show the most demanding scenes for those videos.

Maybe the text version is of better use for you, but there are also some pictures and maybe spoilers mentioned.

EDIT:
It seems like the biggest spoilers are even not visible, because they are "subscription content"

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing results!

I'm still making my way through re7 (stopped half way in 2017) so it will be a bit before grabbing this but I'm definitely going RT on baby, love RT light bounce its my favourite thing.

RE7 looks amazing still i can't wait to see what this looks like.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Have there been any multiplat, current-gen only comparisons yet?

As far as I know, we've yet to see that. I'm almost suspecting the difference to be even less pronounced later on.

The Series S will struggle with RT though... That 1440p target is way too high. Lower it to 1080p and it should be fine!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
About to start RE2 Remake and hopefully can power through it and RE3 before Monday.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

I believe it's about the diagonals barely registering? I've only seen the below video posted in the Xbox DF demo thread where the user is rotating the analog stick.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Folks are also missing that there is only one load and it's when starting the game from the title menu. The rest of the game is a seamless experience.
Maybe I missed it, but if that's just for the initial area load, how do the individual save room load times compare?

The versions are so close, it's obviously not a big deal, but for me which version I play is going to come down to nitpicks like this. I save/load a ton in RE games.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Goin XSX here... VRR biches... ya'll can keep your 6 seconds!
kanye-smile-frown-1431347822.gif

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
No, we need to wait for Metro on that.
... I meant games that were specifically designed for current gen. I liken the Metro upgrade to the Control one (even if it is a more substantial upgrade).

I meant games that are only on current-gen consoles and PC. Even a timed-exclusive like The Medium wasn't fully utilising the SSD's inside the Series X/S (was ironically held back by PC), so I'd love a proper current-gen comparison that uses everything these consoles have to offer.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Maybe I missed it, but if that's just for the initial area load, how do the individual save room load times compare?

The versions are so close, it's obviously not a big deal, but for me which version I play is going to come down to nitpicks like this. I save/load a ton in RE games.
Looks like a reload of your save after death takes about 3-4 seconds on Series X from a video posted earlier in this thread. Honestly, you'd have to load a save a fair few thousand times for this to have any significant impact to your play time, I wouldn't recommend using the difference in the initial load time or any minor differences in save file loading as a deciding factor in which version to play.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a reload of your save after death takes about 3-4 seconds on Series X from a video posted earlier in this thread. Honestly, you'd have to load a save a fair few thousand times for this to have any significant impact to your play time, I wouldn't recommend using the difference in the initial load time or any minor differences in save file loading as a deciding factor in which version to play.
Fair enough, all I needed to know. Thanks.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Agree. The load times would be far more noticeable and evident than the frame rate differential. But even 8ish seconds is still relatively quick. It's just that compared to PS5, it sticks out more, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal.

Quick Resume kinda nullifies this debate anyway.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
The next-gen versions are virtually identical minus 1 or 2 differences Capcom did a great job even with the current gen versions

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I believe it's about the diagonals barely registering? I've only seen the below video posted in the Xbox DF demo thread where the user is rotating the analog stick.

Yea this is what kept me away from the Series X version. I'm okay with skipping VRR as most of the game is 60fps anyway. It's only a few sections that have those drops. Shit I might just skip the RT all together since the reflections look like shit with how low res they are.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Fair enough, all I needed to know. Thanks.
No problem. For what it's worth an initial load from the main menu appears to take around 6 seconds so if you're loading a save that needs a whole different set of assets from than those currently in memory it might take 6 seconds, rather than 3-4.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Slight edge on Series X, which is where I'l m getting it, but wow I'm now more convinced than ever that these consoles have got to be the closest in performance ever.

Can't wait to see what the first party studios (Coalition and ND in particular) will come up later in the gen to push the consoles to the max
They are incredibly close in terms of performance. Slight edge to the Xbox but it's not really something most would even notice.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll continue to optimise the performance in the RT mode, or whether it'll essentially just be bugfixes in the patches. I don't mind the occasional drop, but just wonder if they'd be squeezing blood from a stone trying to get it up to a consistent 60.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna turn off RT anyway for a pefect FPS, and I also get a super solid load speed as well. Not that I'd go mad over an 8 second load time but its nice to have such quick load times on any game (I got all the N.Sane stuff on Crash 4 pre next gen patch - now THOSE are bad load times! Especially when your constantly reloading the levels)

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'll go with Series X version, slightly better performance..I'll probably get over waiting 6 more seconds for the game to load.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
The 6-7 second vs 2-4fps argument(s) are as silly as they can get. Just get it on the machine you prefer. Simple. There is no 'gotcha' in either case because it isn't a matter-of-fact 'win' for either of them. What part of one of the closest calls we've ever seen have people let fly past them?