• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
BE WARY OF POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Resident Evil Village gets the full Digital Foundry Tech Review treatment! Check out our thoughts on the game, the RE Engine, the quality of the art and design plus image quality comparisons and performance tests for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching, and be warned there are might be some content here you could consider spoilers. Seeing envirnoments I've never seen before, I think Capcom was pretty careful with only showing a small slice of where you'll explore in the game.

Oct 30, 2017
At what point with a low frame rate does VRR no longer become useful? Just commenting on their Series S commentary about VRR and its uncapped frame rate.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The RT in this game is subtle but I really like it compared to the non-RT look. Helps that the performance hit is pretty minimal.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
A couple things:

1. I wish Capcom used a native resolution on the non-RT mode, especially since the performance is so stable.
  2. Wow, a whole 7 seconds slower on the Series consoles. Biggest difference on a new game so far.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
XSX with RT on in my case. VRR will iron out any frame rate issues. I can handle 8 second load times, but the PS5 having near-instant loads is awesome

Oct 29, 2017
Seems there's only one spot In the game where RT mode really affects frame rate. Looks like I'll stick with that

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DR

- Near field scene variety can rear its ugly low quality head when you're pressing right up against some surfaces.
- Most assets hold up very well.
- Volumetric and lighting is praised both indoor and outdoor.
- There is little interactivity with the greater environment outside of some marked breakable objects.
- The game includes a model viewer like the past few games which let you get up close with character details.

- RT support's cost seems 'reasonable'.
- RT includes reflections but resolution is on the low side, approx 1/8th resolution.
- RT occlusion shadows and lighting are praised as benefits.
- RT also improves interiors with local bounce lighting.
- The solution is cheap, but it is a nice touch with numerous benefits.

- Non RT mode targets 2160p using an excellent CB rendering solution.
- In Non RT mode. Both PS5 and SX consoles deliver 99.9% locked 60 FPS experience. DF did not encounter a single frame rate drop in their testing.
- Series S offers 1440p using the same reconstruction with great IQ and performance.
- Prone to some drops with some dips in the mid 50s.

- RT mode on SX and PS5 retains the same visual quality.
- Both consoles do a good job retaining 60 FPS in most areas. However some sequences can push both consoles hard to the high 40's or low 50's.
- Series X generally has a couple of frames advantage in stress areas. 7 to 10%.
- With a VRR display, these drops are negligible to the human eye.

- Series S with RT takes a huge tumble in performance, prone to drops even below 30 FPS.

- Xbox SX|SS have an approx 8 second load when loading a save, PS5 has 1.5~ second load in same scenarios.

- DF comments on the controller feature usage on both the DS and Xbox Pad. Rumble triggers etc are used.
- 3D audio is supported as well.
- DF also covers some basic HDR support tweaking.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Performance is wobbly on PS4 and Xbox One, but the 1080p60 performances modes on Pro and One X deliver silky smooth response. All told, I think it's safe to say that Capcom has delivered here - and from my perspective, this one is easy to recommend.

Locked 60fps on One X is great news and makes the ongoing next gen hardware scarcity a lot easier to swallow for me.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It looks like it might not be too bad to play with RT. That Cancom didn't chose a lower resolution to keep the performance stable is weird though.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, in my experience, despite the 45 fps promise, game felt closer to 60 with RT most of the time. It's really only one section, the Moreau lake area, that I noticed any dips.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it might not be too bad to play with RT. That Cancom didn't chose a lower resolution to keep the performance stable is weird though.
The internal resolution is more than likely lower than the non-RT mode, but their checkboard implementation is good so it doesn't make a difference.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm gonna go for RT on (on Series X) and then just knock it off if it starts to become noticable. Seems like it should be largely fine.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
looks like it performs great on both NextGen consoles. I don't plan on getting it until a sale, but I hope you guys enjoy the game

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent work by Capcom. Maybe they should have reduced the resolution for the RT mode on XSS.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, Series X with RT On, if you have a VRR/Freesync display, seems like the optimal way.

The load times on PS5 are absolutely fire, but its a single seamless load only so it shouldn't be an issue.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that 6 second load time... not sure what console I'll get it for .
/s
It seems both consoles run it great. I'll definitely get this day 1.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Series X with RT On, if you have a VRR/Freesync display, seems like the optimal way.

The load times on PS5 are absolutely fire, but its a single seamless load only so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not watching the video yet because of spoilers but no loading after the initial one?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
More stable frame rates on Series X. Faster load times on PS5. Differences are minimal, plays great on both consoles!

Gonna avoid the video but if anyone else is worried about visual spoilers then check the article out, it's quite comprehensive!

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Not that I would be buying this on console, but if I was, PS5..... easily. Load times + DualSense + same performance/visuals as the more powerful console = no brainer!

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I'm not watching the video yet because of spoilers but no loading after the initial one?
Well, there will be a loading period every time you load a save file but then again, with Quick Resume you probably won't be doing that as much. Saying that, I used Quick Resume a lot during my RE7 play though the other week and that game was terrible for time keeping when sessions were resumed, it thinks I spent close to 100 hours playing it, wonder if they fixed that for Village..

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The Series X load times are still extremely minimal; you still wouldn't have time to really do anything before the game finished loading. Crazy for the PS5, though.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Series X with a bit of a performance advantage and PS5 with a bit of a loading advantage. Cool to see that Capcom leaned into the main focus of each console's design for this. Both seem like excellent versions and it holds up really well with RT on. If only there was dynamic res to keep it locked

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Are the camera controls on Xbox still wonky like they were in the demo?

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Damn i can't play until Monday! RT seems the way to go it looks slightly brighter according to this video

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
Nice to finally see a stress test on the Series X and PS5 where the specs are the same. Interestingly it looks like RE7 matches some of the pre-gen speculation with Series X having better performance but PS5 having faster loads.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Slight edge on Series X, which is where I'l m getting it, but wow I'm now more convinced than ever that these consoles have got to be the closest in performance ever.

Can't wait to see what the first party studios (Coalition and ND in particular) will come up later in the gen to push the consoles to the max