• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta admit it's weird that the car stopped near him if his appearance is just symbolism.
Well, who knows..
what's really strange though is that the car actually stops??

Man, this game made me actually want more of Ethan and Rose. I really hope they continue their story, I haven't been this invested in RE characters since...RE4 Leon I guess but that was mainly due to teenage thirst ngl

I feel people only noticed the figure because the car stopped. Again, I feel like they aren't saying Ethan survived but rather a strange sendoff for Ethan.

Again, the whole "his story comes to an end" marketing stuff they did which I assumed was for Chris was actually for Ethan. Unless they do some Code Veronica stuff, Ethan is dead or he is a mold ghost in Rose's head

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think that if Capcom wanted us to know it was Ethan, they would have made it more explicit. needing to turn the camera in a photo mode to reveal something like that just comes off as "we just reused the model"

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Im really wondering where RE9 will take place since there is a pretty large time gap between the end of RE8 and the epilogue with rose. I feel like RE9 will take place right after 8 with most likely Mia and chris as playable characters taking on the BSAA. I do wonder if this mean will get the chance to see other member of BSAA such as Jill and Sheva.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE8 has Heisenberg call Chris Redfield a boulder punching idiot, then makes a joke of Ethan reattaching limbs with herb juice, only to make it an existential horror reveal later on. Heck, the game's characters even call out Chris for not simply telling Ethan what was going on, which made the situation worse than it should've been.

Gotta admit - the writing for this franchise has come a long, long way from the RE4-6 era.

All of this. I was so impressed with the more self-aware writing in this game.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Ethan was a hero in this game,but he is boring, I will not miss him.
Ethan should have taken Heisenbergs deal.

Kill Miranda and then take out Heis if needs be.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Really Ethan going after Heis after getting the jar made no sense to me.
I agree, and he sitting in that chair was stupid even for him.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Would anyone love a DLC of Chris making his way through his own House Beneviento Hallucinations trip like Ethan had it would be the perfect chance to deep dive into Chris's mind and maybe even resurrect old favourites in a hallucinogenic form obviously like wesker, tyrant, the original zombie even some areas of spencer mansion or what he did during RE2-CV
they could make even more twisted versions of these moments like how the baby was a twisted version of Ethans child. There are notes saying Donna brought up your fears and used them against you it's such a cool idea

Obviously it would have to take place before Ethan reaches the house but maybe they can shoehorn a way for Chris to escape and not have it affect the main story would be really cool IMO

Oct 27, 2017
I still think that if Capcom wanted us to know it was Ethan, they would have made it more explicit. needing to turn the camera in a photo mode to reveal something like that just comes off as "we just reused the model"

That's exactly what they did. Saving time, or money, whatever. There's nothing more to it. This is RE7's "Redfield isn't Chris Redfield" again, making something out of nothing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
So Miranda tries to write her dead daughter's personality onto Rose's brain, but fails, and then she wants Rose regardless, for superpowered baby reasons. Did I get that right?

I wasn't surprised that it didn't work, because Eva (that was the daughter's name?) never came into contact with the mutamycete. Why did Miranda think it had recorded her daughter's data? Had it already infected/copied everyone in the village before Miranda found it?

Also...was Rose technicality killed when Miranda crystallised her and broke her apart? I guess she's half mold, so she can turn into mold gunk and be reformed from mold without missing a step. Still, I feel like RE7 and 8 are pretty bullshitty when it comes to death. Because isn't Mia "dead" after all the shit with Evaline and Jack and Evaline again? What makes her more human than Ethan? They're both mold-turned-flesh copies of people who died when they were possessed or absorbed by the mold.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
isn't Mia "dead" after all the shit with Evaline and Jack and Evaline again? What makes her more human than Ethan? They're both mold-turned-flesh copies of people who died when they were possessed or absorbed by the mold.
Nah, Mia was only infected and had regenerative mold properties like the rest of the bakers she never died and was infected back on the ship before even getting to the bakers house.Youre not dead just because you're infected by the mold, Zoe isn't a walking corps either not was her brother who grew back a whole hand and his finger nails. Ethan never killed Mia in his encounters with her because she had regenerative properties, that's why she could tank shots and axes just like the bakers.

Ethan is different, he died in the guest house and was a dead corpse that was infected. Instead of turning into a molded creature he was able to maintain his body, conscious, and make babies, that's why he was "special" and different. He was the first of his kind of mold infection.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
what's really strange though is that the car actually stops??

Man, this game made me actually want more of Ethan and Rose. I really hope they continue their story, I haven't been this invested in RE characters since...RE4 Leon I guess but that was mainly due to teenage thirst ngl
Same boat. Was kinda ehh on Ethan on 7, but he's such a goober that I love the dude now.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I feel people only noticed the figure because the car stopped. Again, I feel like they aren't saying Ethan survived but rather a strange sendoff for Ethan.

Again, the whole "his story comes to an end" marketing stuff they did which I assumed was for Chris was actually for Ethan. Unless they do some Code Veronica stuff, Ethan is dead or he is a mold ghost in Rose's head

There is a rule in movies and games: unless you have seen the character die on screen, he/she is alive. Capcom cut the scene before be even pulled the trigger. He is alive, I can bet money. They will find some explanation for that

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind the death of the primary mutamycete, whether it be the E-Series host or the Megamycete, doesn't mean death for the entire colony. Jack Baker continued to terrorize the area weeks after Eveline was killed, and Ethan's mutamycete colony continued to work in its limited fashion (needing supplementary herbal concoctions to regenerate/reapply severed bits). So Ethan could still live. However, being in ground zero is pretty BS in making it out, so of course that will be the case.
If I have cooked all food, I should sell subsequent food, correct?
Yup, there's no other use for them as the buffs carry over as well.

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
As a fan on Chris, I'm really glad that Capcom has really been pushing Chris as the main character of RE since RE5. I'm hoping that Outrage will be a third person game starring Chris (and hopefully Jill) taking on the BSAA. Then RE9 can focus on Rose and an older Chris in a fatherly/mentor role. It could be Chris' final game and bring his story to an end.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
They made a deliberate choice not to clearly show the person at the end. The fact it's Ethan's model only viewable through mods and not intended by the developers doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. If Rose is a playable character moving forward he may show up as a mold force ghost or something, but I think his death was intended to be pretty definitive, they killed the poor guy twice.

DLC doesn't seem likely, which is a shame because this game is rife with opportunities for it. A "Separate Ways" style campaign with Chris and the Hounds is a gimmie, but I think one focusing around the villagers during the start of the lycan attacks would be cool too.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think ethan is dead tbh, i dont think he'll be playable again though cause of the message at the end
This.

The "his story comes to an end" probably just means we won't be playing as him anymore, not that he's outright dead (permanently dead, not mold dead). There's no reason to have that silhouette of a person walking towards the car (and having it stop) if it didn't mean something. The asset didn't need to be Ethan, they could have used anyone else for that job, and since it would tie in with Rose, having him appear would make sense.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I feel like they are too wholesome and pull their punches. Like, Rose being dismembered is such a damn gruesome concept…but then she's put back together and all is well. I kinda wish they'd go darker

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I feel like they are too wholesome and pull their punches. Like, Rose being dismembered is such a damn gruesome concept…but then she's put back together and all is well. I kinda wish they'd go darker

True, though it's missable that they crystallize her first - the "hooooly shit this is MESSED UPPPPPP" effect was still in full swing for me during the scene when Ethan wipes off the jar that reveals it's her HEAD in there.

I was legit like, "no way - open the jar maybe it's a copout" lol.

Also the entire concept of the fetus monster thing was already pretty freaking dark.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Nah, Mia was only infected and had regenerative mold properties like the rest of the bakers she never died and was infected back on the ship before even getting to the bakers house.Youre not dead just because you're infected by the mold, Zoe isn't a walking corps either not was her brother who grew back a whole hand and his finger nails. Ethan never killed Mia in his encounters with her because she had regenerative properties, that's why she could tank shots and axes just like the bakers.

Ethan is different, he died in the guest house and was a dead corpse that was infected. Instead of turning into a molded creature he was able to maintain his body, conscious, and make babies, that's why he was "special" and different. He was the first of his kind of mold infection.

I'm with you! Okay, that makes sense. Living + mold = mold powers, but you can be cured and go right back to being human; dead + mold = you're clay for the mold to use how it wants; it might just make a fresh copy of you, but you're still definitely dead.

But then so WTF is up with Mia knowing Ethan is dead, rather than infected and regenerated like her? And WTF is up with her being totally fine with him being a cloned copy of her husband, like that episode of Black Mirror?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think they're foreshadowing some conflict between chris and jill with bsaa being kinda shady now?
I mean, chris seems to have a beef with them and jill doesn't seem to be part of his squad.
It's funny how the Winter family seems to have a priority over these new plot elements, we still don't know what's up with this new Blue Umbrella for example.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you! Okay, that makes sense. Living + mold = mold powers, but you can be cured and go right back to being human; dead + mold = you're clay for the mold to use how it wants; it might just make a fresh copy of you, but you're still definitely dead.

But then so WTF is up with Mia knowing Ethan is dead, rather than infected and regenerated like her? And WTF is up with her being totally fine with him being a cloned copy of her husband, like that episode of Black Mirror?
Correct.

I can only assume that once she found out/ was told about Ethans infection, it didn't matter at that point that the mold kept him on life support. I mean the dude retains all of his memories, eats food, makes babies, and is essentially a living breathing human being. I don't think any of us would want our loved ones dead rather than alive regardless of the means of them being able to still be them.

The issue lies in the fact that if Ethan does find out that he's dead(outside of the context of him finding out during his village journey), how does he handle that long term and what kind of therapy can you get to get over that fact? lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Do you think they're foreshadowing some conflict between chris and jill with bsaa being kinda shady now?
I mean, chris seems to have a beef with them and jill doesn't seem to be part of his squad.
It's funny how the Winter family seems to have a priority over these new plot elements, we still don't know what's up with this new Blue Umbrella for example.

Honestly, I just hope Jill will be there at all, if they even adress that plot point

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
RE8 has Heisenberg call Chris Redfield a boulder punching idiot, then makes a joke of Ethan reattaching limbs with herb juice, only to make it an existential horror reveal later on. Heck, the game's characters even call out Chris for not simply telling Ethan what was going on, which made the situation worse than it should've been.

Gotta admit - the writing for this franchise has come a long, long way from the RE4-6 era.

Mmmm none of them have been able to match the self aware wittiness of RE4. That was the most self aware the franchise ever was.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
True, though it's missable that they crystallize her first - the "hooooly shit this is MESSED UPPPPPP" effect was still in full swing for me during the scene when Ethan wipes off the jar that reveals it's her HEAD in there.

I was legit like, "no way - open the jar maybe it's a copout" lol.

Also the entire concept of the fetus monster thing was already pretty freaking dark.

The whole Beneviento House segment is so interesting in retrospect when you realize he's just tripping balls and everything down there was a product of his own mind. It's a reflection of his own anxieties over being a father that he has to overcome in order to press on in his quest to save her. It's surprisingly Silent Hill-y and makes me appreciate Ethan as a character a lot more.

Like I know the obvious comparison is to P.T. but the actual Eraserhead vibes are stronger here than in that even.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing my second replay on Normal difficulty with an Infinite Ammo Wolfsbane. I would have liked to buy the SPIKE, but I didn't really have the CP or the Lei available to make it happen.

If I want to try another replay on Hardcore or Village of Shadows, what should my next CP purchase be? I don't know if the SPIKE is really that much better than the Wolfsbane, or if maybe I should take a chance on the WCX. How does the Handcannon PZ compare to the other magnums?

Are there any decent unlockables for beating the game on Village of Shadows? Everyone seems to agree that the Rocket pistol sucks

Oct 28, 2017
Never noticed it before, but there are E-Series attache cases in Miranda's lab in the leaked version.

Untitled.png

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I've been doing my second replay on Normal difficulty with an Infinite Ammo Wolfsbane. I would have liked to buy the SPIKE, but I didn't really have the CP or the Lei available to make it happen.

If I want to try another replay on Hardcore or Village of Shadows, what should my next CP purchase be? I don't know if the SPIKE is really that much better than the Wolfsbane, or if maybe I should take a chance on the WCX. How does the Handcannon PZ compare to the other magnums?

Are there any decent unlockables for beating the game on Village of Shadows? Everyone seems to agree that the Rocket pistol sucks
From everything I read the stake is a must for village mode.

Hardcore mode it actually not to bad as long as you have at least an infinite ammo powerful shotgun or granade launcher

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the OT but without spoiler tags

So finished the game on Hardcore with far too much ammo (I was way to frugal with it) and absolutely loved it, replaying on Shadows with unlimited ammo weapons lol. But getting major flashbacks to Bloodborne with that one door that felt like it was a secret, but never led anywhere. At the very beginning of the game, in the bedchamber, there's a lever with a gilded horse on it, and I could never figure out what it was for. Is there anything to that lever?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
And WTF is up with her being totally fine with him being a cloned copy of her husband, like that episode of Black Mirror?
I feel like a lot of Mia and Ethan's fighting was due to a combination of her being worried and trying to come to terms with that fact, and the tension between her being in denial about it and Ethan constantly bringing up the past.