• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Despite the story making no logical sense once you think about it for longer than like 30 seconds, I probably found it one of the most engaging RE stories thus far, and the ending was super emotionally resonant.

I just have a few random questions:
  • Did the fairy tale in the beginning have any sort of metaphorical meaning? I kept looking for parallels between that and how Rose/Ethan's story played out but I'm not seeing any.
  • Isn't Mia also a Mold Monster? Also do we have any clue as to when Miranda replaced her?
  • During the Doll House part, the tapes from Mia - what was she referring to when she said "I had to do it" and "I can't tell Ethan, anything but this"? What was she sorry for?
  • If Ethan is "dead"...how is he, uh...fertile lol. Like I know in the grand scheme of things it's a silly thing to get hung up on but for some reason that detail (well, not really a detail since it directly affects how Rose turned out) kinda squicks me out/intrigues me
Based on the ending I kinda feel like Rose will be the next protagonist, and Ethan will be a big guiding presence through the mold connection, kinda like in Dr. Sleep. The way she spoke "to" him at his grave, as well as how she said "I know" as a response to being told how much like him she is felt like she really knew him.

I think the little weird flashes Ethan got picking up the flask also points to how their consciousnesses are connected, since it seemed like he was seeing the world from her point of view for a sec.

Also the fact that the far away figure is Ethan at the end of the game feels deliberate. They wouldn't use his character model as a placeholder knowing that mods exist, and knowing how deep the community likes to go into the lore.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I just ran away where he breaks through a wall and either entered a door/elevator to get out of there. I assumed it was a chase sequence.

There are like two chases sequences. In the room where you fight him, both doors are locked immediately until you kill him.

I've googled it and I can't find any info on skipping the actual boss fight

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
  • Did the fairy tale in the beginning have any sort of metaphorical meaning? I kept looking for parallels between that and how Rose/Ethan's story played out but I'm not seeing any.
  • Isn't Mia also a Mold Monster? Also do we have any clue as to when Miranda replaced her?
  • During the Doll House part, the tapes from Mia - what was she referring to when she said "I had to do it" and "I can't tell Ethan, anything but this"? What was she sorry for?
  • If Ethan is "dead"...how is he, uh...fertile lol. Like I know in the grand scheme of things it's a silly thing to get hung up on but for some reason that detail (well, not really a detail since it directly affects how Rose turned out) kinda squicks me out/intrigues me
- Well, I guess the connection is just that there are similar characters (little girl, her parents, a witch, a bat, a fish, a horse and a spider (? not sure how the spider represents Donna and her dolls) and that the father sacrificed himself for his daughter. I don't think there is some deep meaning there.
- Mia could be a mold monster as well. But maybe she isn't, because unlike Ethan she got infected before she died.
As for when real Mia got replaced - it's unknown. I personally think she got replaced days, maybe even hours before the opening scene. Because 1) We get a flashback of likely recent events where Ethan gets a call from Rose's doctor, and Mia is real there; 2) Real Mia at the end of the game wears same clothes as fake Mia in the opening scene. Though maybe Capcom just didn't think about this detail.
- I think the tapes are all in the Ethan's head. Mia actually never recorded them, it's just Ethan's imagination.
- Most likely the mold just supports/imitates Ethan's normal body functions, so outside of regeneration abilities and abnormal survivability Ethan's basically a normal person.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are like two chases sequences. In the room where you fight him, both doors are locked immediately until you kill him.

I've googled it and I can't find any info on skipping the actual boss fight

Honest, I saw the fight against him on YouTube and that just did not happen with me. I was left wondering after the Heisenberg fight what happened to him, and didn't realise there actually was a boss fight. Who knows, maybe it's a high frame rate bug on the PC version that allowed me to "skip" it or something.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
So jealous. I think the mercenaries is super toxic. I hate losing my combo because the game doesn't spawn enemies in time for no apparent reason.

Don't be jealous, it's not that good... you don't cut people in half, it just feels like a baton...
so it's more like... kindergarten foam lightsaber than actual slicing-cauterizer

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Don't be jealous, it's not that good... you don't cut people in half, it just feels like a baton...
so it's more like... kindergarten foam lightsaber than actual slicing-cauterizer
It may feel like a baton, but it's probably still way more fun than a knife run for an achievement (unless you can't get the knife only achievement with the lightsaber?).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It may feel like a baton, but it's probably still way more fun than a knife run for an achievement (unless you can't get the knife only achievement with the lightsaber?).

That's a good question... i have absolutely no clue...
i don't have that challenge done yet, i guess i now know how i'll try that.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I wonder how Mia discovered that Ethan is a mold-man. Does he turn into a black goo in his sleep randomly?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
more I think about it

Mia makes more sense as the protagonist for 8 than ethan did imo.

Could've been the reverse re7 and it's not like she was some average joe.

A little disappointed we didn't get much from her in this one. Like we still don't know much about her ties to the connections or anything.

Last edited:

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
more I think about it

Mia makes more sense as a protagonist for 8 than ethan did imo.

Could've been the reverse re7 and it's not like she's was some average joe.

A little disappointed we didn't get much from her in this one. Like we still don't know much about her ties to the connections or anything.
Hopefully Mia will be playable in RE9. She definitely has combat training and experience, ties to The connection and she seemed kinda knowledgeable about Eveline (so probably knows a thing or two about the mold). It's really weird how her only role in RE8 is being kidnapped and then hold Rose on her hands at the end. She's not an ordinary woman.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully Mia will be playable in RE9. She definitely has combat training and experience, ties to The connection and she seemed kinda knowledgeable about Eveline (so probably knows a thing or two about the mold). It's really weird how her only role in RE8 is being kidnapped and then hold Rose on her hands at the end. She's not an ordinary woman.
Yeah, like they reference her time in Louisiana fucking her up and brushing it off (although that could've been Miranda?)

But they never once mentioned her time as a mercenary/handler. That was odd.

Hope we get more in the next game, if it does indeed take place in the time skip she'll be around 50-60

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The way they handled Mia was so boring in this game. What was the point of having her get kidnapped yet again? Do something new or interesting with her ffs

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Despite the story making no logical sense once you think about it for longer than like 30 seconds, I probably found it one of the most engaging RE stories thus far, and the ending was super emotionally resonant.

- I think this book and the local Dimitrescu wine are both meant to be foreshadowing for the Miranda-Mia reveal. Miranda mentions that the book was a local tale, states that the wine is local and Ethan even makes a comment about her "going native" right after she pours them wine.

- Mia is not a mold monster. It is mentioned in the RE7 ending and shown in the End of Zoe DLC that Chris' team has a cure for Eveline's mold virus. Also, unlike Ethan, Mia didn't die before getting infected.

- My own interpretation is that the radio is a manifestation of Ethan's fears about Rose. In the beginning of the game, you can find a note about a doctor's examination of Rose and Ethan tries to reassure himself that she will be fine. There's also a flashback scene when Ethan and Mia are arguing about Rose's health (among other things).

I think both the radio message and the baby monster are meant to symbolize Ethan's fears about his mold condition causing genetic defects or health problems for his child.

There's also the fact that in the game's climax, it is revealed that Mia knows how "special" Ethan's mold condition is. Ethan suspected in the argument flashback that Mia was hiding something and he's fearful of that because of what happened in RE7.

- *shrug* Jake in RE6 is basically a BOW and yet Sherry ends up falling in love with him. RE is a weird series.

Last edited:

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm assuming Rose will be the main character in RE9?

One thing I got to say I hope they go for the more creepy puzzle solving aspect and less action.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay beat it so...

If Ethan is infected with Mold and could regrow a heart... he couldn't regrow fingers? And would t have med tests of shown his issue? Wouldn't have Chris and crew done a full work up on he and Mia after saving them? And isn't Mia more infected than him? And didn't they both a take a cure?

And isn't the baby like made out of Mold now?

And the BSAA are bad?

I still say Ethan is a clone Wesker or something to be revealed in RE9.

I can't see them kicking the time period 15-20 years later. The old school characters are old enough as it is. Be nice to see them finally settle down. Leon stop chasing Ada etc

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
As for when real Mia got replaced - it's unknown. I personally think she got replaced days, maybe even hours before the opening scene. Because 1) We get a flashback of likely recent events where Ethan gets a call from Rose's doctor, and Mia is real there; 2) Real Mia at the end of the game wears same clothes as fake Mia in the opening scene. Though maybe Capcom just didn't think about this detail.
It's no more than a few days at most. You can see the timeline in the diary from the craftsman with the red chimney. He meets with Miranda around Feb 4th but then comments about her absence the day before the game begins. So she left the village sometime after the 4th.

a spider (? not sure how the spider represents Donna and her dolls)

Donna is a weaver. She's responsible for the various yellow threads you can find in the environment.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Okay beat it so...

If Ethan is infected with Mold and could regrow a heart... he couldn't regrow fingers? And would t have med tests of shown his issue? Wouldn't have Chris and crew done a full work up on he and Mia after saving them? And isn't Mia more infected than him? And didn't they both a take a cure?

And the BSAA are bad?

I can't see them kicking the time period 15-20 years later. The old school characters are old enough as it is. Be nice to see them finally settle down. Leon stop chasing Ada etc

also wouldn't he reinfect Mia with Mold through...husbandly duties?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Okay beat it so...

And the BSAA are bad?

If it's 15-20 years later that does give them the opportunity to re-reboot the whole thing. If Rose can age quickly like Eveline, that's coo too. I'm down for whatever crazy shit they decide to go with.

Here's a better question - Can Ethan regrow himself from the fingers that were bitten off by the Lycan?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The story only works if you take into accounts both Chris and Miranda are incompetent.

-Miranda could have snatched Rose and went away as Mia without issues. Chris never realized what had happened to the real one and it seems only realized it was Miranda because his recon team was in the village snooping around.

-Chris' whole plan is stupid on many levels. It's the most dangerous threat he faced yet and his plan is to shoot Ethan's wife and kidnap his kid without telling him anything. The fact he had a recon team there in the first place meant he could use his satellite gun thing to nuke her away instead of simply shooting her with guns.

-Chris and his lab never realized Ethan was mold even if they tested him.

-Miranda was keeping Mia alive for no reason.

-Her whole plan to give the 4 parts of the baby to her failed children she wanted dead is stupid because Heisenberg directly says they were no match for her anyway.

-The fetus fungus and the ritual is more or less "trust us, it makes sense... somehow"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The one good thing I can say about the story in RE8 is that it goes out of the way to try to finish the RE7/RE8 saga. The origin of the mold is killed off. Ethan is killed off. I get the impression Capcom went of their way to finish up this part of the storyline so they can focus on something else for the next game. The only loose end is Rose being an adult with super powers, but then again, they also left Jake alone, they left Alex Wesker as a child alone, so I think it's very possible they'll silently pretend Rose doesn't exist after RE8.

Pretty sure they already said RE9 is part of the same "story" as RE7 and 8.

Which would make sense.

At the end of RE8 there is still loose ties with...

Rose.
BSAA using BOW Soldiers
The Connections

The last game of the trilogy will likely be dealing with all 3.

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
Just finished the game. First half 9.0, second half 6.0.
Capcom, why so much action in the latter half?!

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Ethan and the mould probably isn't something to read too hard into lol. It allowed him to maintain normal human function with some slightly super human regeneration. Reattaching limbs - can do, regrowing a heart - a huge stretch and probably why we saw Eveline appear. The regrowing of the heart plus the Miranda fight was too much though.

It makes Rose way more interesting, she's the first 'natural' mold/human being, her particular strain of mould is initially part of the same mould that Miranda found but genetically modified. Miranda talks a ton about about the mould catalogues people/beings and she was using that fact to bring back her child in Rose. Would be cool if she can interact with Eveline, the Bakers and the Lords on some level.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If it's 15-20 years later that does give them the opportunity to re-reboot the whole thing. If Rose can age quickly like Eveline, that's coo too. I'm down for whatever crazy shit they decide to go with.

Here's a better question - Can Ethan regrow himself from the fingers that were bitten off by the Lycan?

I get the feeling that there probably won't be a time skip, like you said she can age quickly like Eveline but will give some justification for why it happened to stop around the Age of 21 and then normally aged after that (If she is the protag of 9, which is likely, they probably won't want to have enemies ripping apart a teen).

Also I don't think Ethan can regrow parts, only reattach. Those figures weren't just bitten off but pretty sure consumed by the Lycan.

Hence why Ethan's heart at the end was still gone cause Miranda had destroyed it. Since he couldn't reattach the heart, he started to fall apart, but was kept alive a bit longer due to the Mold/Will.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Do we actually know for sure that he regrew the heart? I figured that it was still gone and that he was pushing through on pure sad dad energy alone, which is why he started to die shortly afterward.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we actually know for sure that he regrew the heart? I figured that it was still gone and that he was pushing through on pure sad dad energy alone, which is why he started to die shortly afterward.

Pretty sure he didn't, Miranda even says he doesn't have a heart during the final part. It's why he was falling apart.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the big thing about the first-person shift (aside from being a way to draw new fans in) is to conceal the fact that Ethan's body has been horribly mutilated over the course of his adventures and yet he still keeps going. You see it in some of the damage animations (whole bits of flesh being ripped out, stomped, burned, impaled, etc.), yet the first-person perspective causes us to quickly forget that. Leon and all of the other RE characters can't survive any of that shit because they're not infected.

I think it's kind of genius honestly.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

No but I think if he was able to retrieve the fingers he could have attached them.

Insumatposa

Oct 28, 2017
Ratings were talking about a certain graphical sexual scene. What was it about and when and where does it happen? Or was it scrapped in the final game?

Last edited:

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So I've started this after watching the summary for RE7 which I havent played
I am maybe 1 or 2 hours in ? Met the shop keeper for the first time

I really don't like what I've played so far. Camera, Controls, Combat and Cinematic pacing are all horrible and feel 10 years behind the rest of the industry. It's been 0 scary so far. Bullet sponge enemies are not fun to fight at all. The gang of bad guys Ive briefly met are cartoonish as fuck and impossible to take seriously.

Does it get better / scarier ?
Last RE I played was RE2 and I liked that one, but game design has evolved and if feels like this game doesnt know it.
It doesn't, everything you noted continues and some get worse. But I'd still finish it. It's a short game with some good segments.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's amazing that we finally got to play as a zombie in a Resident Evil story, lol

I hope the next game has all the RE kids team up, like Jake, Sherry, and Rose (and I guess Moira can show up too).