• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's better than no VRR for sure. But I don't think it feels good compared to a locked consistent but lower framerate.

For me, how it feels will really depend on how stable this "45" target is. If it's just unlocked with a 60 cap, but framerate jumping from 30s to 50s, then that's definitely no good. Generally hanging at 45 w/ VRR would be nice, but who knows.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Terrible if you play on a standard 60hz display without any kind of variable refresh rate.

Wait...is this why 30 fps on my new Sony xh900 looks like there's stutter in my games?

I feel like in my old crappy 4k tv from Hisense this didn't happen.

Sorry for the off topic. If someone knows, feel free to send me a PM so that we don't derail this topic.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
These next gen consoles can't even hit 4 year old PC hardware performance and I don't get it.

45fps advertised is not good

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
www.microsoft.com

Buy Resident Evil Village - Microsoft Store

Experience survival horror like never before in the 8th major installment in the Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village. With detailed graphics, intense first-person action and masterful storytelling, the terror has never felt more realistic.
install size is 45gb too.
start the theories

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
45fps is perceivably pretty smooth with VRR. I'm talking from experience of using Gsync/Freesync on PC with a controller, where fps varied between 40-60fps.

It depends on the game though
VRR only works well if there aren't many drops into the 30's, if there are (which I am assuming there will be at 45 fps average), it wont be great even with VRR.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck is 45 FPS? Why the fuck would you not just knock down the rez to 1440p?!!!!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For me, how it feels will really depend on how stable this "45" target is. If it's just unlocked with a 60 cap, but framerate jumping from 30s to 50s, then that's definitely no good. Generally hanging at 45 w/ VRR would be nice, but who knows.

I can pretty much guarantee that this "45 FPS" means "totally unlocked and just averaging roughly 45 FPS". I bet it'll jump all over.

Nov 8, 2017
Wait...is this why 30 fps on my new Sony xh900 looks like there's stutter in my games?

I feel like in my old crappy 4k tv from Hisense this didn't happen.

No, that has nothing to do with 45fps.

However, some games do have bad frame pacing (specific frames are still duplicated while others are produced at 60fps for very short bursts, averaging to 30 total but looking bad). Bloodborne on PS4 was famous for this.

If your old TV didn't have a problem, but your new tv does, on the same games, under the same circumstances, it's concievable that you had some form of motion smoothing on for the old TV. If they're both LCD panels the perception of "stutter" and "judder" should be very similar or identical under like-for-like scenarios. Without access to your setup, I don't know for sure what you might be seeing (if anything).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
These next gen consoles can't even hit 4 year old PC hardware performance and I don't get it.

6700XT

These GPUs also run at 4K/45 FPS ...

Resident-Evil-Village-PC-System-Requirements-1.jpg

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting for the new page.
Capcom also used 45 FPS on their PC requirements.
It doesn't mean the game has a 45 FPS ceiling. Just a generous average estimate.
They did the same thing for DMC V. Capcom said the RT graphics mode for DMC V was 30 fps but it ended up hovering closer to 60 fps than 30 fps. I hope it's the same case here.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Judging by the demo performance on PS5 which ran at 60 fps most of the time, I think it's pretty clear the noted 45 is the low point for each platform. Also why are so many people freaking out if you have a 60 fps option available as well? This forum feels so on edge about everything lately.

Dec 11, 2017
www.microsoft.com

Buy Resident Evil Village - Microsoft Store

Experience survival horror like never before in the 8th major installment in the Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village. With detailed graphics, intense first-person action and masterful storytelling, the terror has never felt more realistic.
install size is 45gb too.
start the theories
45fps and 45GB. So single frame per second takes up one gigabyte. Interesting...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the demo performance on PS5 which ran at 60 fps most of the time, I think it's pretty clear the noted 45 is the low point for each platform. Also why are so many people freaking out if you have a 60 fps option available as well? This forum feels so on edge about everything lately.

The previous demo isn't a good indicator of performance of the actual game. It was enclosed and literally nothing happening.

This next demo should give us a better idea of what to expect from the full game in a few weeks.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
this

like how god of war 3 on ps3 would kinda fluctuate around 40-50 most of the time
same for God of War on PS4 Pro if set to the unlocked framerate mode

which I still chose to play on despite the wonky judder and inconsistent framerate because it always still felt a lot more responsive than the 4K mode

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I can pretty much guarantee that this "45 FPS" means "totally unlocked and just averaging roughly 45 FPS". I bet it'll jump all over.

Chandoog pointed out this odd 45 target is used for PC as well, so it definitely means ~60. Like I said though, for it to break VRR it'll have to jump a wide range. 30-55 or 75-100, that'll be noticeable even with VRR. Most games don't make constant fluctuations like that, so I'm not too worried?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

turn off RT then

this is AMD's first go at it and it's $500, these things are already performing better than the shitboxes that were the PS4 and XONE

maybe it's just me, but 4K/60 even on cross-gen titles is pretty damn nice and it's literally the beginning of the generation, I imagine things will get even better

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No, that has nothing to do with 45fps.

However, some games do have bad frame pacing (specific frames are still duplicated while others are produced at 60fps for very short bursts, averaging to 30 total but looking bad). Bloodborne on PS4 was famous for this.

If your old TV didn't have a problem, but your new tv does, on the same games, under the same circumstances, it's concievable that you had some form of motion smoothing on for the old TV. If they're both LCD panels the perception of "stutter" and "judder" should be very similar or identical under like-for-like scenarios. Without access to your setup, I don't know for sure what you might be seeing (if anything).
Wouldn't this also vary based on the screens' refresh rates?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
1440p/45 vs 1080p or even 900p/60 on Series S is such a bizarre choice You're better off playing the RT mode if you don't have VRR.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
turn off RT then

this is AMD's first go at it and it's $500, these things are already performing better than the shitboxes that were the PS4 and XONE

And the game is being developed for... uuuhh...

- Xbox One Fat (similar enough to the One S but not the same nonetheless);
- Xbox One S;
- Xbox One X;
- PS4;
- PS4 Pro;
- Xbox Series S;
- Xbox Series X;
- PS5;
- PC (lets not count Stadia since its running in the cloud(tm)).

...9 platforms! They even got RT working on Series S. I'd rather have 1080p60fps, but I'm fine with unlocked 60fps.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
that lack of a 1440p/60 rt mode is weird, if I had to guess its that the rt mode already brings it down to 1440p

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
And the game is being developed for... uuuhh...

- Xbox One Fat (similar enough to the One S but not the same nonetheless);
- Xbox One S;
- Xbox One X;
- PS4;
- PS4 Pro;
- Xbox Series S;
- Xbox Series X;
- PS5;
- PC (lets not count Stadia since its running in the cloud(tm)).

...9 platforms! They even got RT working on Series S. I'd rather have 1080p60fps, but I'm fine with unlocked 60fps.

Stadia is effectively a Linux port so I'd even count that as a separate platform.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Chandoog pointed out this odd 45 target is used for PC as well, so it definitely means ~60. Like I said though, for it to break VRR it'll have to jump a wide range. 30-55 or 75-100, that'll be noticeable even with VRR. Most games don't make constant fluctuations like that, so I'm not too worried?

Most games don't jump around like that because they have a locked framerate target, though. If you ever play game on PC and leave them totally unlocked they do fluctuate around like that, and this will too.

Feels better IMO thanks to the potential for 45fps w/VRR to feel noticeably more responsive than 30fps locked

I mean if it was locked at 45 FPS with VRR, sure. But from personal experience unlocked framerate jumping all around the 40s constantly doesn't feel good and I'd rather just lock to 30 (or even more ideally, drop resolution and settings to get to a locked 60).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that is a really weird thing to put on your website.

I think I could live with 45 if I had a VRR TV. When playing the Evil Within on PC, for some reason trying to do like... a half-refresh VSYNC it locked it to 48FPS, and that felt perfectly fine for me (on a GSYNC monitor).

There really should be a toggle for users without VRR capable TVs though, for a 30FPS cap.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Most games don't jump around like that because they have a locked framerate target, though. If you ever play game on PC and leave them totally unlocked they do fluctuate around like that, and this will too

It needs to be *constantly* doing that. If it's see-sawing most - or even half - of the time, then there's something else entirely wrong with the game. We'll see how stable whatever their target is soon enough.

I also play on PC. The most recent game I played at this lower vrr range is AC Odyssey at 4K- mostly in the mid 40s/low 50s. Capped at 60. With the exception of lighting a torch inside caves, which brings it down to the low 30s, the framerate was generally stable and a much better experience than just locking to 30. Hopefully RE8 will be the same.