• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first play through of this game and holy shit, why is this game not included when talking about the best looking games ever? It's a stunning blend of amazing visuals on a technical level, excellent image quality, and incredible art direction & cohesion. I was constantly taking screenshots throughout my play through. What a jaw dropping game.

Here's some shots of my play through:

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing it at launch and kinda fell off after a while even though I love RE. But now that 3rd person mode is coming out I can't wait to jump back in. And yeah it's gorgeous.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I didn't like how the world felt made out of plastic/cardboard pieces with little to no interaction. But it looks good in screenshots for sure.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's the first fully 3D RE to finally feel like it matched the detail and fidelity of the pre-rendered backgrounds of REmake and 0 (in interiors). Each of those houses in the village is so well staged and lit I spent like 5 minutes just looking around them. Sometimes the graphics were a bit hit-or-miss, the animations and especially enemy reactions were too stiff, but on the whole a very solid looking cross gen game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The graphics never impressed me tbh. It's not what left a lasting impression after I finished it so I'm surprised to see the op thinks it's one of the best.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
While I love the RE Engine, it's also one of the most un-even engine currently.
It can look absolutely incredible under the right circonstances, but man there's some really rough parts too with some of the lowest texture quality in recent gaming.

The third Lord area in particular, is just hideous.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah RE8 interiors are insane. Exteriors feel...off? Maybe just because they don't look nearly as good as the interiors

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
By far the best looking RE game and at times, yes, between the most cutting-edge and visually pleasing games out there.

The art direction is completely unhinged, plus RE Engine at its best paid off immensely.

A bit uneven sometimes even though for a cross-gen title, it is unmatched getting such results, with that fidelity and while prioritizing performance.

I feel RE:4 will surprise many with how great it'll look.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Too bad there is a lot of LOD pop in the outside regions. I am very sensitive to this and it ruins immersion for me. Still, cannot wait to replay the game in third person.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Really does look good all maxed out on PC but the console versions suffer from extreme pop-in when outside in the village. A bit too much obvious asset reuse throughout too, but the lighting and overall look of the game is special indeed.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I remember thinking RE2make and RE3make looked better.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
OP your screenshots are insane. The detail and clarity. I played on my PS4 Pro at 1080p so clearly I was missing out.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
It's alright.

Was very disappointed in the lack of flourishes that have been in games since the PS2 era.

No blood splashes on the environment after shooting something, blood doesn't leak out of dead npcs, lack of gore, etc

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I think it looked great an all until the factory level. It was soooo fucking dark.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I got my Series X and OLED right after I finished it. It's the last game I played on my old One X and Vizio M. Maybe I should revisit it.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Indoors? Yes, especially Lady Dimitrescu's Castle … 🧛🏼‍♀️

Outdoors? Very hit and miss.

I'd argue that Resident Evil 2 Remake looks consistently better actually.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I agree. No doubt that it looked good, but given the linearity of many areas I can't say it impressed me that much.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks and plays great, one of my favourite games in a long time. I think the artstyle and execution carries the visuals a lot, though, if that matters to you.

While it has a lot of cool details in the backgrounds themselves, I do think it lacks a little details like physics, more breakable stuff, more intricate localised damage, etc.... which would really bring the environments to life.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Indoors? Yes, especially Lady Dimitrescu's Castle … 🧛🏼‍♀️

Outdoors? Very hit and miss.

I'd argue that Resident Evil 2 Remake looks consistently better actually.
The character models can look a tad off, but that's something I found more of an issue with RE7 than any of the games after it. RE7's characters looked bad to be honest.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
It looks incredible on PS5 but also like walking through photographs where some of the illusion breaks down from lack of interaction.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

I finished the game and at no point did I ever stop to think "Damn, this game is pretty."

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to play? Ps5 or xbox series x ? I'm on oled.

Frame rate is about 10% better on Series X in RT mode. Load times on PS5 are ~1.5s on average vs ~8.5s on average on Series X.

Other than that they're pretty much identical. Just depends on what's more important to you (load times vs performance). 10% performance isn't game changing, but outside of the initial load the game almost never loads. So it's up to you.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Frame rate is about 10% better on Series X in RT mode. Load times on PS5 are ~1.5s on average vs ~8.5s on average on Series X.

Other than that they're pretty much identical. Just depends on what's more important to you (load times vs performance).

What about VRR display? Does this change the importance of the framerate ?

How about haptic controlls?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
PC version is definitely a looker. I don't remember it looking quite as good on the Series X. Mostly just the interiors looked great, but not so much the exteriors.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
I haven't played Village, but I can believe it. RE2 and 3's Remake are easily the most gorgeous games I've played. The first time in my long ass time playing games I actually oooh'd and awww'd over a games graphics. Sure, I've had games I thought "This is pretty." but nothing I was actively thinking for hours "Fuck, this looks incredible!".

Stuff like Cyberpunk, for example, can look nice in spots, but I find the animations and environment can be iffy. Meanwhile, the RE remakes just feel like everything lands so perfectly visually.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Village is definitely my multiplatform game of choice, tech-wise. Loved being even wowed at the end by the Alien-Covenant-looking lab and the final boss.

Shadows of Rose in third person will be a sick way to revisit the aesthetic.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
What about VRR display? Does this change the importance of the framerate ?

How about haptic controlls?
yeah aiming felt weird on series x, was especially apparent when doing a full analog circle on both versions.
no idea if it ever got patched.

framerate doesn't fall much below 60, so vrr should handle it nicely.

dualsense implementation was nice, if you like trigger resistance stuff.

man. i should revisit this on oled. will wait for 3rd person patch. and then again on psvr2.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto. Always preferred the look to those and maybe even 7 to village. R2/3make are probably one of, if not the best looking games.

I played through Remake 2, Remake 3, 7, and Village for the first time back-to-back-to-back-to-back over the last couple months and 7 was the obvious step down from the rest of them, visually. Texture quality, image quality (some of this was intentional of course), outdoor areas, character model detail, asset variety, enemy variety, general scope, etc.. etc.. were all a step down in 7.

I could see an argument for 2 and 3 looking better than Village though. Just depends on your preference for art direction.

Last edited: