• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
I can say this now: It 100% had VR, but I won't claim it does for now. For the record, 100% the game was cross-gen just a few months ago. I know for a fact there was a PS4 version and it was playable on PS4. But at the moment it looks like they dropped that, and I got word they decided to focus on next-gen while in the overhaul process (to make the game as pretty as they want and not have to worry about being held-back by last-gen tech in the process).

While I heavily doubt they'd remove VR from the game (Especially as PS5 supports PSVR headsets from this gen), I suspect they'll announce if it is or isn't and the date they're aiming for next August.
Thanks a lot! I hope they do not discard the VR implementation for PS5

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Thought there were a lot of low level assets in the graphics, everywhere. Just look at the gun for instance, probably a 360p texture. Could be that it's just pre-alpha, but their usage of shaky first vision cam had me thinking. This game looks exactly like what VR games look like. Could it be a VR-first title?

edit: welp I had this open on the last page for a long time apparently, and missed the newer posts.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited! (and finally can log-in to my account again so I can express that).

There's so much I want to say, but I'm going to try to summarize a bit of what I've been tweeting recently here for the thread.

-This game was pitched as RE8 originally, but got shifted to a sideline game, but it turned out excellent and internal testers & people within the company realized they had something really special here, so they turned it back into a mainline title. The game is fully playable (and has been for a few months), but they've been overhauling the graphics (still a work-in-progress), focus testing and collecting feedback from RE fans with the ambassador test to make it the best it can be. It's a very interesting thing.

-The trailer 100% includes footage of older builds of the game, placeholders (from the older version of the game that hasn't been overhauled yet), etc, it was a very "not final" trailer.

-I've personally heard this game will be longer than RE7/RE2/RE3. I don't know by how much, but part of what they wanted to do with this game's direction is what many suspect (RE7 meets RE4 with its own stronger gothic flavor and what I hear is actually a interesting original story). They wanted to respond to most of RE7's criticisms, which includes enemy variety, more exploration and segments like the Baker House, and a better last third and a bit more meat to the game. The trailer here actually showed very little of the game, they purposefully avoided showing a LOT.

-All the spoilers floating around the internet currently about the deeper story are fake. The game was never third-person in development (it was always first-person), the girls name is not Emily and she's not looking for her father, the details in the supposed bigger leaks are bullshit, so you can know the game isn't actually spoiled for anyone right now.

I know there's a lot more I want to say, but how I'll start off. I'm 100% on-board with this direction and feel this game nailed the aesthetic they're going for!

Sounds good!

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I started and beat Resident Evil 7 over the weekend for the first time, and due to the lack of a better thread ima ask this here. Was it supposed to be a Resident Evil? I am by no means knowledgable of any deep RE lore, but I never felt like it had any RE connections till the end when Chris shows up. So I am kind of under the impression that this was meant to be a very different game, that was converted to RE at the end.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tSI6Mqc.gif

CC: Miamiwesker looks amazing doesnt it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I started and beat Resident Evil 7 over the weekend for the first time, and due to the lack of a better thread ima ask this here. Was it supposed to be a Resident Evil? I am by no means knowledgable of any deep RE lore, but I never felt like it had any RE connections till the end when Chris shows up. So I am kind of under the impression that this was meant to be a very different game, that was converted to RE at the end.

Yes, RE7 was always meant to be Resident Evil. There is actually plenty of references you can find around the Baker mansion to other stuff in the series. But it was always meant to be a step back from the craziness of RE6 which basically had everything and the toilet sink thrown into it.

Callego

Nov 22, 2017
The biggest link to the series at large was the return to the classic RE structure of item management and key finding. For fans of the old games (like myself) RE7 is closer to a "true" RE game than action games like 6.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You could say the same about RE4. Capcom is not afraid on shaking up the formula and do soft-reboots with the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I think Resident Evil 7 was somewhat of a soft reboot in terms of plot for the series (none of the crazy shit seen in 5 or 6, very much more standalone, you don't need prior knowledge of the series), but the gameplay was brought much closer towards the original games (1, 2, 3) as opposed to the more action-focused gameplay of later entries - just in first person.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the game will be somewhat openworld-ish given the focus on exploration. My guess that the village is so huge that load times on current gen systems cannot keep up with loading parts of the area without loading screens so they had to make the game next-gen only.

I hope the castle area is more like RE1/RE7 mansion with the puzzle solving, backtracking, and exploration.

Also is it safe to assume that RE4make is next-gen only? Given how they are willing to go next-gen only with RE8, I'm guessing RE4 will get the same treatment given full development started this year if the rumors are true. Give me an expanded village area please

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the game will be somewhat openworld-ish given the focus on exploration. My guess that the village is so huge that load times on current gen systems cannot keep up with loading parts of the area without loading screens so they had to make the game next-gen only.

I hope the castle area is more like RE1/RE7 mansion with the puzzle solving, backtracking, and exploration.

Also is it safe to assume that RE4make is next-gen only? Given how they are willing to go next-gen only with RE8, I'm guessing RE4 will get the same treatment given full development started this year if the rumors are true. Give me an expanded village area please
Resident Evil 4 will be next-gen only, I feel that's okay to say at this point as it's pretty obvious.

It didn't actually start development this year, actually RE4 Remake started development something like two years ago now. Still got more time needed in the oven though as it's a bigger project. Before you ask, yes the Resident Evil development pipeline is surprisingly efficient right now, I know many are questioning how they're spitting these RE games out at this rate.

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 will be next-gen only, I feel that's okay to say at this point as it's pretty obvious.

It didn't actually start development this year, actually RE4 Remake started development something like two years ago now. Still got more time needed in the oven though as it's a bigger project. Before you ask, yes the Resident Evil development pipeline is surprisingly efficient right now, I know many are questioning how they're spitting these RE games out at this rate.
Thanks for clearing that up. Was worried that RE4 will be held back by current gen systems but the RE8 reveal got me optimistic that it'll be next gen only.

So they started development in 2018? If the rumors about the game releasing in 2022 is true then the game will undergo 4 years of dev time. Hopefully the devs take their time with it because RE4 is my personal GOAT and a proper high-quality remake is one of my most wanted things in gaming

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, my ideal for this game would be that the village sections are a mix of open, explorable "hub" areas and combat zones with more linear sections stringing them together, and then the castle is 100% classic RE design (hopefully more on the level of complexity of REmake 1 & 2 than 7's Baker house).

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

How many RE teams is there? I mean if they've worked on RE4 for 2 years and this game at least as long, doesn't that mean that they've worked on 4 RE games simultaneously?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clearing that up. Was worried that RE4 will be held back by current gen systems but the RE8 reveal got me optimistic that it'll be next gen only.

So they started development in 2018? If the rumors about the game releasing in 2022 is true then the game will undergo 4 years of dev time. Hopefully the devs take their time with it because RE4 is my personal GOAT and a proper high-quality remake is one of my most wanted things in gaming
2022 is if everything goes well, I personally think it may end up in 2023 with Corona slowing development for a while, them taking more time on RE8, and probably making sure it'll satisfy people after some mixed response from fans on RE3 REmake. I think those three factors are going to end up with RE4 taking a bit more time, but we shall see.

How many RE teams is there? I mean if they've worked on RE4 for 2 years and this game at least as long, doesn't that mean that they've worked on 4 RE games simultaneously?

At this very second even I don't know since I know they've been doing more hires and expanding even this last year. Several though, not all of them are working on RE (one is dedicated to Itsuno's current project for example), but they have quite a pipeline going. It can be larger if you include things like Resistance, which aren't made in-house (mostly) but are part of the current pipeline they have going.

And RE8 has been in dev longer than RE4 has. At this very second it's been in dev for about 3 and a half years.

Probably the craziest period for everyone was 2017, where RE7 Gold Edition (DLC stuff), RE2, RE3, RE8 & DMC5 were all in development at the same time (and the pipeline had a total staff size smaller than it is now).

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Nice to see dusk back!

All the info we are getting is cool but I need to see this in action, hopefully August we see the combat on display.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, don't know where else to post this, but with the recent PSN sale, I'm thinking of getting RE7 (Dusk Golem's tweet didn't help too lol), although I am kind of cautious because I normally don't like FPS but loved the classic Resident Evil titles. I was considering getting RE3 Remake but the reviews I read is making me cautious.

Plus, RE7 is $10 vs $39 for RE3 Remake. I do have to spend a little bit more on PSN Credits though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else hope that the final section of the game retains the same level design as the rest of the game? Like the reason people love the RPD, Baker Mansion, Streets of Raccoon City is that they allow for proper exploration. By going for hyper linear in the final stages just makes it feel like a different game.

Ideally, I feel like you should be able to massively explore up until the very end of the game.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, don't know where else to post this, but with the recent PSN sale, I'm thinking of getting RE7 (Dusk Golem's tweet didn't help too lol), although I am kind of cautious because I normally don't like FPS but loved the classic Resident Evil titles. I was considering getting RE3 Remake but the reviews I read is making me cautious.

Plus, RE7 is $10 vs $39 for RE3 Remake. I do have to spend a little bit more on PSN Credits though.

Both games are short, it's just that RE3 is aggressively linear whereas 7 allows for some classic RE exploration (even if it's not as complex as I'd like). RE7 took me around 8-9 hours my first playthrough taking my time, RE3 took me about 6 hours my first go. Replays are encouraged in both games but you'd probably get more bang for your buck with 7 for the moment.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

Despite being fps and all that, RE7 felt like such a modern take on classic RE in many ways that RE4-6 didn't. I can really recommend it! I was hesitant before playing but now it's one of my favorites in the franchise.

RE3 is fine, but at those prices I think you can afford to give RE7 a chance!

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Despite being fps and all that, RE7 felt like such a modern take on classic RE in many ways that RE4-6 didn't. I can really recommend it! I was hesitant before playing but now it's one of my favorites in the franchise.

Yeah RE7 is as good as RE2 remake, definitely one of the series' best titles. Glad they're building upon what RE7 started with RE8.

this game will be bananas in VR (as was RE7)

Apr 3, 2020
-The trailer 100% includes footage of older builds of the game, placeholders (from the older version of the game that hasn't been overhauled yet), etc, it was a very "not final" trailer.

Let me guess, the footage when Ethan meet the old man and tried to shoot him is from old build, because it look rough.

-I've personally heard this game will be longer than RE7/RE2/RE3. I don't know by how much, but part of what they wanted to do with this game's direction is what many suspect (RE7 meets RE4 with its own stronger gothic flavor and what I hear is actually a interesting original story). They wanted to respond to most of RE7's criticisms, which includes enemy variety, more exploration and segments like the Baker House, and a better last third and a bit more meat to the game. The trailer here actually showed very little of the game, they purposefully avoided showing a LOT.

I hope they shake up the formula in this game. In other RE games (classic and remakes) the last part of these games always was shortest and not very meaty like the first and mid parts of the games. I wish RE8 tje castle is at least half of the game.

Also I would like to see one horror theme across the game. RE7 had like 4 themes

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Well i will only play it if it has VR support anyway, No way am i going back to panel RE after experiencing RE7 in VR.

Next gen only is awesome news though.

Oct 20, 2018
If this is the last game for Chris... Jill and Claire need to be in it. Also... Wtf is with Capcom and their incredibly insatiable need to have Chris in damn near all the games?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Both games are short, it's just that RE3 is aggressively linear whereas 7 allows for some classic RE exploration (even if it's not as complex as I'd like). RE7 took me around 8-9 hours my first playthrough taking my time, RE3 took me about 6 hours my first go. Replays are encouraged in both games but you'd probably get more bang for your buck with 7 for the moment.

Thanks for the comments, guys! RE7 is downloading on my PS4 now and I should be able to play it in 10 minutes or so, can't wait!

To be honest, when I saw it had become an FPS, my first reaction was "Cool, but not Day 1" though I was eventually going to get it down the line. I guess with the lockdown still in place in my city, plus the fact that RE8 is building on RE7, it's the perfect time to pick it up.

Yeah RE7 is as good as RE2 remake, definitely one of the series' best titles. Glad they're building upon what RE7 started with RE8.

this game will be bananas in VR (as was RE7)

Man, I don't have VR, but this would have been amazing in it.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The future or Resident Evil series is looking HOT. I probably won't be able to play it as it looks a bit too scary but I am excited about it and RE4

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The quality of the last few RE games have been very high, there was just not enough game there. Hope RE8 is at least 15-16 hours.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm almost afraid to look into this thread because I've only played Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7 and haven't played the other games in the series so I'm almost afraid that I'll just get spoiled on the story.

Anyway, I'm hearing that this game might be more mystical or "magical," that it'll use more supernatural elements. Is that true or just speculation?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm almost afraid to look into this thread because I've only played Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7 and haven't played the other games in the series so I'm almost afraid that I'll just get spoiled on the story.

This is a direct sequel to 7, so if you played that, it's all you need to know

Anyway, I'm hearing that this game might be more mystical or "magical," that it'll use more supernatural elements. Is that true or just speculation?

Some of the early leaks said there would be more mystical type of stuff but as always, it'll be tied into biohazard type shenanigans in the end

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
This is a direct sequel to 7, so if you played that, it's all you need to know

Some of the early leaks said there would be more mystical type of stuff but as always, it'll be tied into biohazard type shenanigans in the end
Ah, that's a pity as I'm a sucker for supernatural fiction, but regardless, I'll get the game either way as it looks fantastic.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there genuinely more love for this style of Resi than the over the shoulder Resi games? I just cant get into Resi 7... I don't understand the draw of them.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Some new info from Famitsu, sounds like we'll get more info next month. Also confirms this takes place in Europe, though that was pretty obvious
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1278228777659592704?s=21

[/QUOTE

Sadly sounds like this won't make a January release if it is only at 60% completion. Probably looking at March-April. Pretty much letting this decide if I am buying a PS5 at launch for an RE8 release in January, or just holding off until February and buying a PS5 with tax return moola

Oct 29, 2017
Jun 18, 2018
Is there genuinely more love for this style of Resi than the over the shoulder Resi games? I just cant get into Resi 7... I don't understand the draw of them.

For many RE7 fans it's not about "more love", but loved equally. And it's amazing that this series can evolve in so many ways whilst still sharing core values.

As for the draw - the draw is survival horror - of exploring the unknown, discovering puzzles, finding weapons, fighting enemies, conserving resources, optimising tactics and routes - is universal across different perspectives. That's what I'm in for.

[EDIT] What do you think is lost from actual RE's survival horror gameplay when playing in first person?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Some new info from Famitsu, sounds like we'll get more info next month. Also confirms this takes place in Europe, though that was pretty obvious
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1278228777659592704?s=21

Yeah, August info was confirmed by Fabiano and Kanda soon after the trailer was released and it's been up on the site for a while. They're going with a "tentative 2021" makes me believe this might be a late 2021 game. Would love them to release it within the fiscal year.

ZRosJAI.png