• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i'm guessing 0 has only sold so much because it's bundled with the HD remake of 1?

0 HD was released on its own day one digitally too, people who would've already bought REmake had to buy it alone (like me).

It even had a singular PS3 physical release in Asia.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've been maintaining a private database of RE shipment figures going back to 2005.

iOOIqPY.png

This graph compares RE2, RE7 (+GE) and the original releases of RE5 and RE6 in their first five or so years of sales (RE7 and RE:2 aren't there yet). The rate in which RE:2 is selling this early in its lifecycle is unprecedented for the series. It's pretty much inevitable that RE:2 overtakes RE5, even when combining all of its various re-releases.

Here's another graph of the same games, but with all versions accounted for (last gen remasters, Gold Editions, etc.). It's not a perfect graph because we're not sure how RE5 Gold Edition sold before Capcom abruptly reported that 2.3 million copies were sold by Q2 2017. But still, I can't see RE:2 not taking the crown in a few years.

6JuOOnw.png

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I've been maintaining a private database of RE shipment figures going back to 2005.

iOOIqPY.png

This graph compares RE2, RE7 (+GE) and the original releases of RE5 and RE6 in their first five or so years of sales (RE7 and RE:2 aren't there yet). The rate in which RE:2 is selling this early in its lifecycle is unprecedented for the series. It's pretty much inevitable that RE:2 overtakes RE5, even when combining all of its various re-releases.

Here's another graph of the same games, but with all versions accounted for (last gen remasters, Gold Editions, etc.). It's not a perfect graph because we're not sure how RE5 Gold Edition sold before Capcom abruptly reported that 2.3 million copies were sold by Q2 2017. But still, I can't see RE:2 not taking the crown in a few years.

6JuOOnw.png
This is awesome to see, specially given how two of the best games in the series are just a damn rocket.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

iOOIqPY.png

6JuOOnw.png

Context really changes everything huh.

Also reminds me when the NPD shared that despite all those extra copies sold, RE7 still topped 6 in pure revenue despite having half of its lifetime.

Resident Evil 6 is so damn cheap everywhere and since its reviews tanked the public reception of the series.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
RE5 was incredible in co-op. Some of the best times I've had during the 360/PS3 generation. RE6 was a ton of fun too. The story sucked, but all RE stories suck.

Everyone just hatin'.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where is outbreak 2's numbers. Outbreak deserves so much better.

It suffered the same fate as Dino Crisis 3 and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. There's a reason why we never got a File #3.

If it takes the Resident Evil name to get crazy coop action shit like 6 and sell well, so be it.
I do hope that they refine the formula a bit and get a more polished game out the door. Maybe make a spinoff title with less budget, just focus on one story like in 5, make more crazy combat moves, use newest engine and sell it for 40 bucks and you might have a nice little 5 mio. seller to fund your other titles.

I do love some over the top stuff in 4, 5 and 6 and the newer more serious 7 and 8, so I'm happy that everyone gets some kind of cherished Resident Evil.

You're never gonna get more polished versions of 5 or 6 on a smaller budget.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing any of the action ones in switch handheld mode is basically gaming heaven. That got me to buy them all again for the 92nd time

Been replaying 5 solo and its a lot of fun.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that sees RE6 as one of the best 3rd person action games of all time? It has everything that great action games have. Lots of environmental variety, enemy variety, tons of bosses and some fun set pieces. Game is mega long with no DLC. I totally get there are some boring parts like some of Chris's CoD early levels and Jakes shitty snow level, but besides that, if you pretend it's not an RE game, it's great. Even better now knowing that the series is back on the right track.

Also funny that RE3R and RE3 have almost exactly the same sales. Both really deserved more and I want a do over remake.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Am I the only one that sees RE6 as one of the best 3rd person action games of all time? It has everything that great action games have. Lots of environmental variety, enemy variety, tons of bosses and some fun set pieces. Game is mega long with no DLC. I totally get there are some boring parts like some of Chris's CoD early levels and Jakes shitty snow level, but besides that, if you pretend it's not an RE game, it's great. Even better now knowing that the series is back on the right track.

Also funny that RE3R and RE3 have almost exactly the same sales. Both really deserved more and I want a do over remake.

Well, RE3R is less than a year old lol. It will continue selling so it will get much more as time goes on.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
This is 6

I think RE 5 being fun in co-op is what carried the game. With the Gold release (and re-releases on PS4, Xbox One and Switch) which added the DLC chapters in one package it makes for a good purchase. Its still one of my least favourite entries, but I get why.
Don't believe those gifs, the experience won't be as cool as it looks.
If you want action buy RE5, it's better than RE4 and RE6.
Don't believe his lies gifs. No amount of flashy animations will make up for how exceptionally poor everything else in RE6.

It's the Dragon's Dogma effect.
But but tentacle screw!

Sherry all growed up! 😌

Shining Birkin!!!

Okay I'll listen and buy RE5 instead. Hope Africa the stuff ain't problematic.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
It suffered the same fate as Dino Crisis 3 and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. There's a reason why we never got a File #3
It was online game in the PS2 era.
But seriously Capcom has to see why it didnt produce gangbusters. File 2 today would have been a dlc season pass. Fans like it and the devs keep putting in easter eggs about it. With todays modern online structures i cant see it not being a hit. At least a REV size hit at the worst. I know its not getting made cause budgets and the too brass most likely. Easier to poop out outsourced garbage for a minuscule return i suppose.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
But but tentacle screw!

Sherry all growed up! 😌

Shining Birkin!!!

Actually if you're a Sherry fan like me then 6 is worth it, at the very least for her campaign. Even better if you can get a friend to play coop with you.

Sherry really deserves her own game. Her mutated genes would give some cool gameplay potential re: healing mechanics and such.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
RE5 really is one of the best co-op games ever made. Unfortunately even with complete global saturation it's just not a super great Resident Evil game, but that's ok, I still enjoyed it.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
The remakes deserve every tiny bit of success, really great work. I just wish they would drop those crappy MP modes for an Outbreak remake.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
RE5 came out at the perfect time.

People forget that the co-op craze was at an all time high back then.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

I wouldn't say its best of all time... it's woefully uneven, but when it is working, its really fun. Its just it fails almost as often as it succeeds. Part of me thinks it would've worked more if you cut out a campaign or two and really drill down and polish the remainder.

It does give you an astounding amount of content though.

I'll even say I disagree with the "if you pretend it's not an RE game", because RE has been everything under the sun at one point or another, even only counting the fifteen years between 1 and 6.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I never understood. RE3 sold 3.5 mi on the Playstation alone. Does this means all the other ports didn't amount to 100k units sold if we combine them?
No. For them to be added on the list, they have to sell 1 million copies on their own.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was online game in the PS2 era.
But seriously Capcom has to see why it didnt produce gangbusters. File 2 today would have been a dlc season pass. Fans like it and the devs keep putting in easter eggs about it. With todays modern online structures i cant see it not being a hit. At least a REV size hit at the worst. I know its not getting made cause budgets and the too brass most likely. Easier to poop out outsourced garbage for a minuscule return i suppose.

The first one sold perfectly fine. Capcom fucked up by going cheap, just like they did with SF3, Dino Crisis, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and MvC, and the game paid the price for it, despite there being proven interest under better conditions.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI, Capcom counts Humble Bundle numbers as sales, so keep that in mind for games like 5, 6, Rev 1-2, and REmake and 0 HD.

One thing that I never understood. RE3 sold 3.5 mi on the Playstation alone. Does this means all the other ports didn't amount to 100k units sold if we combine them?

We don't have official sales data for any other versions of RE2, 3 or CV.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I don't get some people ITT eagerly awaiting their preferred RE game surpassing their less liked RE game. Do y'all have bets going? Will this happening lead to more content magically appearing for those games?

The more recent horror focused games have done well critically and commercially. RE7 already has a hotly anticipated sequel. I don't get the need for validation through sales rankings.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI, Capcom counts Humble Bundle numbers as sales, so keep that in mind for games like 5, 6, Rev 1-2, and REmake and 0 HD.

We don't have official sales data for any other versions of RE2, 3 or CV.
The PC sales aren't even included lol. Only 4 has them I think.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But but tentacle screw!

Sherry all growed up! 😌

Shining Birkin!!!

Don't listen to what others tell you about RE6. Despite its shortcomings, the mechanics and the action in the game are still good. If you are intrigued by those gifs then give it a try. You should be able to find it for cheap anyways.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The PC sales aren't even included lol. Only 4 has them I think.

DL covers all digital sales. If they weren't included, RE6 would've had a separate PC entry with numbers above 1M at this point.

But but tentacle screw!

Sherry all growed up! 😌

Shining Birkin!!!

It is. RE6 has its issues too, but they're eclipsed by RE5's (RE5's problematic elements mostly aren't abject horrible, except for one really glaring example, but it's still somewhat egregious). If you're worried about that kind of thing, then go with 6. Or 4, if you haven't played that.

Last edited: