• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why Capcom doesn't give up on those shitty multiplayer spinoffs and just makes RE: Mercenaries with 6's gameplay and a shitton of characters, maps and DLC costumes (can even be gacha) to make a bunch of money is beyond me.

They wouldn't even have to bundle it with other games to pretend they have more content and beg people to play them, we would actually want to download the thing from the store. Even buy if it's not F2P.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Just based on current trends, when do we expect RE2 and RE7 to crack the top 3?

Assuming 7 doesn't get any boosts from Village or anything

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Why Capcom doesn't give up on those shitty multiplayer spinoffs and just makes RE: Mercenaries with 6's gameplay and a shitton of characters, maps and DLC costumes (can even be gacha) to make a bunch of money is beyond me.

They wouldn't even have to bundle it with other games to pretend they have more content and beg people to play them, we would actually want to download the thing from the store. Even buy if it's not F2P.

RE: Mercenaries with the Raid Mode if you want to go through the gauntlet!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
And by being the lowest rated mainline game in the series? The backlash was pretty epic in 2012, and you'll notice even Capcom realized they needed to 180 the series

Yeah, and selling 10 million copies and being constantly in the top 3 sellers of the entire franchise. I mean, I'm not a big fan of RE6 myself tbh, but numbers don't lie. It doesn't really matter what critics or forum browsers thought. Clearly, not 'everyone' was driven away by any stretch of the imagination

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's a solid action game with the second best Mercenaries in the franchise.
It is a terrible action game, but mercenaries was fun. However those 10 million copies are not 10 million unique costumers. Same for RE4, same for RE5. However RE7 and RE2R will overtake this trio in the next couple of years.

In case of Village being well received and selling well, the new top 3 will be Village, RE2R and RE7 (not necessarily in that order).

Village will surely help boost RE7 sales a bit due to the bundle.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I love 5 and 6 and don't hate them, but it saddens me that they are in TOP 3.

Top 3 should be like this in a JUST World:

1- Resident Evil 2 (Classic)
2- Resident Evil Remake
3- Resident Evil 7

Oct 25, 2017
I love when people say RE5 only did what it did because 4,
Yet people turned around and bought way more of 6 than 4 as well

5 was a popular game and well recieved

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
KIAL.gif

170F1520CDC93004CA728CDD3141F28F352D9796

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
As a fan of the classic resident evils as well as a fan of the newer entrys (I love Re 7) it makes my stomach hurt to see resident evil 5 and 6 so high on the list. Funny thing is, I am currently replaying the whole series and finished re5 yesterday. I didn't like it when it came out, but now... God damn I don't like that game. In my opinion it's not a good action game and a horrible resident evil game.
I can't thank Capcom enough that they go back to the horror roots with 7 and the two remakes. I hope someday one of the newer entrys will climb on top.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Which one is this I have my credit card out
This is 6

I think RE 5 being fun in co-op is what carried the game. With the Gold release (and re-releases on PS4, Xbox One and Switch) which added the DLC chapters in one package it makes for a good purchase. Its still one of my least favourite entries, but I get why.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry RE5 and RE6 port sales are being used to fund the much better survival horror entries!

lol jk glad the series is doing well.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Diluting the RE formula to shooty bang bang western audiences sells a ton even if the campaign's are shit? color me surprised. Theres a reason Transformers and Michael Bay shit sells so well. At least the Mercenaries mode is good.

Oct 30, 2017
21 years and many ports and STILL Code Veronica is at low as 2.5M.... so sad the game is being treated like this among the classic RE games.

Also, so sad RE3R got effected by the stupid decision of not making a more faithful Remake to the original like RE2R, it pissed off fans and plus the short campaign really effected it.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
21 years and many ports and STILL Code Veronica is at low as 2.5M.... so sad the game is being treated like this among the classic RE games.

Also, so sad RE3R got effected by the stupid decision of not making a more faithful Remake to the original like RE2R, it pissed off fans and plus the short campaign really effected it.

If we had the sales of PS2 HD and PS3/360 ports it's probably at minimum just past 3 Million. Sales currently are sadly only the PS2 and DC versions.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Surprised that 4 didn't sell more than any others, as it's probably the most acclaimed. I guess it's the hype it created that bumped 5 to the top.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
0 seems to have sold decently well considering that its usally looked on as the black sheep of the main games. Rev 2 is a much better game imo but sold less so i think there is some merit in not labeling games as "spin-offs" as it lowers them in some people eyes.

Oct 30, 2017
If we had the sales of PS2 HD and PS3/360 ports it's probably at minimum just past 3 Million. Sales currently are sadly only the PS2 and DC versions.
Oh these are only the DC and PS2 versions?

What about the CG?

Anyhow still so low compared to even side entries.

What a shame, it is a main entry but always treated like a side because there isn't a numbered glued to it.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How the hell did ORC outsell Revelations?

Actually, it didn't. Revelations' total doesn't include the Switch, PS4, Xbox One and 3DS versions. Capcom's internal data suggests that the 3DS version sold around 1 million, 500K on Switch and another 650K on PS4/XB1. I imagine in a few years, the Switch and PS4/XB1 will gain their own entries in the Platinum Chart. We're not sure why the 3DS version isn't, but Capcom might add it someday.

Revelations 2 outselling the first annoys the completionist in me. Who are these uncultured swine buying numbered games out of order?

Also I thought RE4 would be higher, it has been ported to everything.

Same reason as above–Revelations 1 is missing 4 platforms' worth of sales.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Playing RE5 again just now on PS4 (going for platinum), still holds up and is a great co-op game

Really wish I enjoyed RE6 more, on paper I should love it

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How the heck is 5 at the top of the list

Not that it's a bad game at all, but you always see people talk about literally every other entry than that one.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
If it takes the Resident Evil name to get crazy coop action shit like 6 and sell well, so be it.
I do hope that they refine the formula a bit and get a more polished game out the door. Maybe make a spinoff title with less budget, just focus on one story like in 5, make more crazy combat moves, use newest engine and sell it for 40 bucks and you might have a nice little 5 mio. seller to fund your other titles.

I do love some over the top stuff in 4, 5 and 6 and the newer more serious 7 and 8, so I'm happy that everyone gets some kind of cherished Resident Evil.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
RE5 is such a good co op game that I don't mind it being top.

Now remake Code Veronica cowards.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
i'm guessing 0 has only sold so much because it's bundled with the HD remake of 1?

If I had to guess re7 will be 3rd by the end of this year since it's bundled with 8, I can see RE2 remake getting into the top 3 if capcom make a ps5 version or bundles re2 and re3 remake together to sell on the ps5