• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually have much hope for video game movies but god damn do they seem to be putting an effort into production .already a 50% bonus.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're nailing the atmosphere. Want to see that kind of effort into faithfully adapting the characters and story but the casting sheet didn't inspire any confidence.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's too bad they didn't film something in Vancouver (for once) We have the perfect geography for Raccoon.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
So for this topic first, this upcoming movie that this thread is about stars Claire Redfield and co-starring her brother Chris Redfield, who both grew up orphans in Raccoon City, a sorta' shithole place that Claire ends up leaving, but her brother stays and becomes a cop there. There's other characters in the movie, like Leon, Birkin, Wesker, Irons, Jill, etc., but it's basically adapting RE1 & RE2 into a single movie.

The Netflix live-action series is set in two time periods it hops between, the first being in the early 2020s in a picture-esque "New Raccoon City", a town that seems too perfect and obviously hiding dark secrets. We follow Jayde & Billie Wesker, who yes their father is Albert Wesker, though in this series they live with him as a single father and we follow the two sisters. The second time period is 20 or so years in the future, in 2040-something, when the apocalypse has happened, only certain cities have fortified and still stand against the relentless monsters that have taken over the world, and we follow one of the sisters in one of the cities as a survivor.

Now to clarify one more thing, there is a SECOND Netflix series, but it's not a live-action thing, it's a CG animated series named "Infinite Darkness". This is canon to the games unlike the other two (Though all three are set in separate universe to each other), it stars Leon and Claire somewhere after the events of Vendetta (same animation studio that made Vendetta), the White House experiences an outbreak while Claire Redfield checking on a friend finds them dead and with strange things on the site that lead her to investigate.

That's basically the breakdown for the three Resident Evil series/film in the works right now. The more surprising thing to me is all three seem well in development and not in development Hell or something. Not even one or two, but all three seem healthily in the works.

Holy shit, thanks for all the info!

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It looks like humans are putting legitimate craft and effort into this, which is really weird for a Resident Evil movie.

Next you're going to tell me they aren't abusing the talent.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Hope she is good, I can picture it at least.

She should be. She's extremely watchable in Killjoys.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Oh snap, so Lisa Trevor's gonna be in the story.

I was really upset at first that the original movie series deviated a ton from the game's story.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
God I hate bumfuck Sudbury and I'm glad I'll never have to go there ever again but at least something cool is going on there for once. For reference one of the landmarks there now is an abandoned hospital that has been abandoned for so long now that they decided to just slather it in paint to make it look appealing.
2020915-mural-2.jpg

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
God I hate bumfuck Sudbury and I'm glad I'll never have to go there ever again but at least something cool is going on there for once. For reference one of the landmarks there now is an abandoned hospital that has been abandoned for so long now that they decided to just slather it in paint to make it look appealing.
2020915-mural-2.jpg

The fact this is in Sudbury is pretty cool though. My bud was hype about recognizing places in the shots.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's cool to see sets that actually look like they come from a RE game. Gives me some hope for this movie.

Now let's just see how bad they screw up the characters and story, with unnecessary changes.

OcelotUnit64

Jan 22, 2020
The last tweet in OP is they lobby of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh. I know people that work there and they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them.

The building is amazing though, definitely visit if you get the chance. Would definitely be a good fit for resident evil.

ScottishNationalPortraitGallery_02.jpg

national-portrait-gallery.jpg

scottish-national-portrait-gallery-edingburgh-scotland-uk-picture-id1018425114

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
When they do bring in certain game characters I want them to feel and look like actual characters and not cosplaying actors.

This still bugs/haunts me.

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't be getting excited for this. The director's track record is worse than PWSA.

But damn these shots are getting me excited.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else I'll definitely watch this movie just to see how much of it I recognize. Haven't been back there since last year due to COVID and oddly am starting to miss it.

I will say it's ironically a place I can't imagine having much trouble with a zombie outbreak, lol. Very spread out and zombies would probably freeze solid in -40 degree winter. T-virus moose would be scary though.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I mean they couldn't even make it green at least, wtf.
Its sad because they had actually done the STARS uniform well twice in that series
latest

latest

latest

Ah yeah of course Barry too and Peyton looked the part even if he wasn't an official character.

a2be088cd019c220c15391dd72305c3a.jpg

e0afc3b73dbd32c674ddb60a167035b5.jpg

Movie Carlos' colour scheme was very well done they did something similar for Remake Carlos.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
With a good script, I think the director can pull off something that at least pleases fans more than the Anderson films. He has the eye for it, he's just been giving/or has wrote lackluster scripts. There are visual moments in the second Strangers movie that I love.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I only saw the first 2 pages of the casting call and it sounded crammed AF. It wasn´t clear from them how much of RE1 would make it into this loose take on RE2 but both games will seemingly happen side by side even if I only factor in the set photos and the announced cast. Even Bravo team members will be in the film!
I wonder how much insight the writer(s) had into Capcom´s design docs and the development of REmake 2. Movie Leon being an alcoholic is technically from very early RE lore and only made it into the canon through anime films much later. Him being a shitty cop certainly ain´t. REmake 2´s orphanage was supposed to be a bigger element at first and the Redfield are now orphans. Hm. Technically true to the games but them nearly becoming Umbrella lab rats in an orphanage that lost kids and Chris being funneled into the local police force because he, this bit is just me connecting the dots, showed promise certainly isn´t.
I bet that Lisa is what the siblings could have become. I wonder who´s personal nemesis she will be among the siblings? You can´t have the characters unearth a mystery through reading documents and stuff with only 2 hours, at best, so the film will just connect every dot it can and have it all explained tough exposition that arises in the dialogue (hopefully) naturally as everyone knows each other.

Page 1 and 2 of the casting sheet which includes bigger spoilers. Most are from the games of course:
Why do I get the feeling that even the nuke from RE3 will make it into the film? Not every event from summer to fall 1998 needs to happen in one film Sony/Constantin. Good luck finding ways to escalate in the sequel if I will be proven true if you give us RE 1+2 Speedrun: The Movie.
They will probably do a weirdo take on CVX which already has the introduced Redfields + Wesker and combine it with something else (the backstory bits of Zero and RE5 kinda fit for Umbrella lore flashbacks) before Capcom can remake CVX if this momentum is held up. Or REmake 4 and a film based on that scenario can come out instead for perfect synergy. Putting all the characters into one introductory film is arguably sound from a producer viewpoint as it opens up the doors to do basically anything else thereafter. ANYTHING. This approach also tests the waters on who/what connects with the viewers or not. RE Focus Test: The Movie.

PS: Infinite Darkness is getting a US manga next year. Maybe a prequel or tie-in story? So there will be even more wiki canon fodder for the sake of it.
A 25th anniversary like no other when it comes to output. We´ll see about quality control...
FmNK.gif

Mar 19, 2020
The casting call sounds good. It's a lot for one movie but I think the changes they're making for the characters will work well in the context of a film.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like they are getting the look and stuff right but they are cramming way too much stuff into one movie for it to be good.

It's not going to be just one movie, though, right? This first movie should really just cover the events leading up to and involving the Spencer Mansion incident and maybe end with the truck driver from RE2.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's not going to be just one movie, though, right? This first movie should really just cover the events leading up to and involving the Spencer Mansion incident and maybe end with the truck driver from RE2.

Nah they're actually right.

From everything that has been leaked and confirmed this far, the movie is a direct adaptation of RE2 with elements of 1 sprinkled all over it.

Claire and Chris are the actual protagonists, while everyone else (the list is absolutely massive) seem to be in a supporting role.

How that will work remains to be seen though (i assume either flashbacks of Resi 1 or both events happening simultaneously).