• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Whether that be Gothic Horror or Southern Horror; I find Resident Evil to be the most appealing when you have locations filled with tons of cultures and folk horror tropes.

From the sprawling, gothic Spencer Mansion, with it's elaborate secret passageways and beautiful elaborate decorations

3b9a7db2fd29418a06cf058578ea95042e671913eebbf47d044a27734c5539c8.jpg

latest

To the Baker Ranch's homely, cluttered, but still dripping with character, hallways and crudely put together expansions.
latest

latest

residentevil7.jpg

These two locations have so much character, and when you add the labyrinth, Metroidvania-esque level design, there probably the most memorable character of these games. When you compare them to Resident Evil 5 and 6's boring streets, skyscrapers, and industrial complexes, you can see why those game are considered such horrible regressions in terms of level design. And even to there forefather, Resident Evil 4, it's first two locations were dripping with atmosphere and character (with the gothic horror influence nailed to a tee)
20170531173305_1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It's one of the reasons i'm so excited for Village; it's absolutely teeming with moody Gothic Horror goodness.
large.jpg

resident-evil-village-september-2020-7.jpg

EaQplUXWsAEweqe.jpg

large.jpg

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Every RE should spend about 2/3rds in a creepy mansion, then the final third in a high tech laboratory. That is the way.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This is absolutly true.

Village looks like RE4 fused with RE7 and I am sooooooooooooooooooooo excited for that combo.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's another reason why the RCPD is so memorable compared to the second half of the game in both versions of Resident Evil 2.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed OP, that's a good way of putting it. RE7 is so goddamn amazing when you're in the house(s) that even if the stuff after you leave them is still a perfectly competent game, it loses some of its luster. But man, when you're in the house, it has that classic RE atmosphere just nailed to the walls.

Absolutely can't wait for Village.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Agreed- I think you could throw the RCPD in there as well even though it's a slightly different aesthetic

Nov 1, 2017
Resident Evil has tried a lot of different things and many of them really work with the franchise in interesting, cool ways. I love what they did in 7 and I'm really excited to see how they expand on it in 8, but I also want them to keep experiences like 6 and Revelations going. I don't care what they label it as, but I love horror RE and I love arcadey RE.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Agreed, and also the reason why I think DMC1 is my favorite DMC game. The mood is lifted from RE and it's perfect.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Playing through RE5 for the first time at the moment and it feels so off playing the entire game during daytime. It removes the horror element completely.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Give me zombie city infestation or give me death. Ain't nothing like creeping through city streets and subways with the looming threat of zombies popping up at every corner.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Agreed, and also the reason why I think DMC1 is my favorite DMC game. The mood is lifted from RE and it's perfect.

Yep.

Horror doesn't really work for DMC, after Itsuno firmly chose the "misadventures of wacky-wahoo-pizzaman and friends", but I still would like to see actual gothic ambiance and level design return again.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the city was more interesting. RE 2 is still the best game in the series for me so I may be biased.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played RE5, recently bought the remakes of 1, 2 and 3, curious how they compare to 5. It's a shame the new ones are first person, that always seems to give me a headache.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Gothic town/city horror is the best. I feel like RE4 flies off the rails at the end when you have to deal with a fucking gigantic statue and then the game turns into COD.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gothic town/city horror is the best. I feel like RE4 flies off the rails at the end when you have to deal with a fucking gigantic statue and then the game turns into COD.
The final part of the game is a military complex with enemies like this. It was certainly...something.
latest

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I like the spooky mansion vibe, the city streets, even the village in 4.

I have ZERO interest in RE: Village; it's setting, the witches and werewolf shit, and to top it all off, Ethan, Mia and nuChris

Loved the fairytale stuff in the Witcher, keep it out of RE please

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Agreed, I found RE1 and RE7 to be among the creepier games in the series for those reasons. I'm excited to see what they do in Village.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like the spooky mansion vibe, the city streets, even the village in 4.

I have ZERO interest in RE: Village; it's setting, the witches and werewolf shit, and to top it all off, Ethan, Mia and nuChris

Loved the fairytale stuff in the Witcher, keep it out of RE please
LOL WTF does "fairytale Witcher stuff" even mean?

Oct 27, 2017
While I like them as well my favorite is still RE3 (the original).

Racoon City in that game was really cool. It had a more familiar setting but it also had the clocktower which was very gothic looking. Then the game ends in the Dead Factory which is still the best final area in the series.

The variety is unparalleled. You have the city (with it's own fair share of unique locations like gas station, the townhall, the garage and more), the police station, graveyards, parks, hospitals, heck it even had sewers but they weren't that big and of course the dead factory which is so disgusting and dark compared to the many labs in the series.

It is one of the reasons I dislike the remake. The original had it all.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
These games benefit from a couple tea spoons of conspiracy/spy shenanigans too along with an intimate setting but they can sometimes go overboard with it.

The common thread between all of my favorite REs is level design that has you backtracking, planning routes, and exploring. And an intimate location that has a lot of mystery.

But RE2's (original and remake) crazy lab stuff in the final stretch was cool, I think because the police station is a pretty spooky environment.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These games benefit from a couple tea spoons of conspiracy/spy shenanigans too along with an intimate setting but they can sometimes go overboard with it.

The common thread between all of my favorite REs is level design that has you backtracking, planning routes, and exploring. And an intimate location that has a lot of mystery.

But RE2's (original and remake) crazy lab stuff in the final stretch was cool, I think because the police station is a pretty spooky environment.
I always thought the NEST was the weakest part of both games, but to each there own.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I agree. Resident Evil has always had schlocky elements (Giant Snake and Killer Plants are both in the first game), but it works best when paired with some subtler settings and atmosphere. RE6 has a lot of problems, but the biggest is that it is never scary, even for a moment.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing i hope REmake 4 does is to cut the Island entirely or vastly rework it to fit the more horror aspects of previous settings.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
These two locations have so much character, and when you add the labyrinth, Metroidvania-esque level design, there probably the most memorable character of these games. When you compare them to Resident Evil 5 and 6's boring streets, skyscrapers, and industrial complexes, you can see why those game are considered such horrible regressions in terms of level design. And even to there forefather, Resident Evil 4, it's first two locations were dripping with atmosphere and character (with the gothic horror influence nailed to a tee)
20170531173305_1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
The village was great, the castle was garbage. RE5 was very similar to RE4 in locations, weird grouping that with 6 when it's by far the most similar game to RE4 in the whole series when it comes to locations!

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i don't disagree...i loved the house/adjascent outhouse of RE7 so much, that i felt brokenhearted to leave (even with that asshole chasing all the time) for the submarine or whatever RE revelations setting that final act when down in

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be more excited if they would show literally anything from Village.
I agree. Aside from RE2. I love that setting

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Gothic and folk horror will always be the best for these kind of games, 100%

I routinely think of just how insanely atmospheric and well realized REmake's environments are. Truly one of the GOAT.

The game itself isn't great but I do love some of Outlast II's whole cult hiding out in the deep forest theme, with all the witchcraft undertones. The beginning hour or two is pretty strong with the attention to detail put into the settlement and some of its inhabitants. Creepy af. Shame the core loop ended up sucking all the tension out of it.

Another thing that makes the RE games stand out are the great soundtracks, especially the various battle themes as enemies are hunting you. RE4 in particular has this sort of heartbeat rhythm thing going on during the village portions, it feels dangerous and oppressive. Those composers are some of the best in the business imo 👍

closer

Oct 25, 2017
if there was a scene in re8 where they were doing that goth rave thing thatd be sick