• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Hi all.

So I'm about to start Resident Evil HD on the PS4, and in the options menu there are two different control schemes: alternative and original. Anyone know what the difference is? And which is better? Which do you prefer?

This is my first ever Resident Evil game (despite gaming for 25 years...) so I'm not familiar with the 'original' controls.

Appreciate your input!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure original is tank controls and alternative is more traditional 360 stick movement. I'd recommend original since that's what the game was designed around.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Alternative controls basically puts modern controls and swifter movement in those environments as opposed to tank controls. Purists won't use it but they're much more intuitive to me especially for speed running.

GgSy7ka.gif

you cannot do that with tank controls.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
If you'd like to experience the original game in its "fullest" then go for the OG controls.

However, I prefer alternative as it makes dodging enemies easier (and just more fun).

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Original has tank controls, alternative has standard analog controls.

Because of fixed camera angles tank controls are more suited for the sudden camera switches, but it can feel pretty clunky if you've never played anything similar. Personally I like analog controls more but they occasionally backfire when you get stuck in-between transitions.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Original controls are the 'tank' controls. They are the worst by far.

Alternative handles much better overall, but you can switch between them at any time and try for yourself which suits better.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Despite only really playing the game for the first time last year, I preferred the original tank controls. The camera switches angles frequently and it can be a bit disorienting to keep the character straight with the new controls

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tank controls with forward movement mapped to the right trigger is how I played it on GameCube. Is that scheme still in the PS4 release?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, RE and Tomb Raider are like the two tank control games I played where the game seemed to be designed around that restricted form of movement, as opposed to being there purely because devs hadn't figured out analog movement/the controller didn't add an analog stick.
Being able to duck and weave through enemies on RE kills any tension it has in the same way a run and gun mode would ruin RE4.

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks all! I'll start with the OG tank controls and go from there!

Wonder if I'll be able to get through all RE games before VIII comes out!

Oct 28, 2017
Just go by alternative. You can still use the D-pad for tank controls and decide which you prefer as you go along the game.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Alternative controls basically puts modern controls and swifter movement in those environments as opposed to tank controls. Purists won't use it but they're much more intuitive to me especially for speed running.

GgSy7ka.gif

I once had a top 10 spot for this game on speedrun.com original controls are better Because you can get jumbled during screen switches. I mean even in the gif the zombie is missing because of factors other than controls

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
What's with the character selection? Two versions of Chris and Jill... Purely cosmetic I take it? Or will it effect stuff such as story, ammo capacity, weapons available, etc?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure the "original" control scheme only applies to the d-pad anyway, and you can use the analog stick for 2D movement if you prefer itā€”or maybe I have that backwards, and it's the "alternative" controls which behave that way.

3D "tank controls" are better for navigating games which use fixed camera angles though, as your controls remain constant even as the camera angle changes.
2D controls change every time the camera angle does.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Starting off with the intended controls sounds like a good idea.

One thing to note, if you enable the alternative control method you'll still be able to play with tank controls with the D-PAD, and the alternative controls on the analog sick.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Go with whichever is most comfortable to you. I went from start to Platinum with the modernized controls. Contrary to popular belief, unless you're intentionally trying to break the game with these controls, they work well and do not degrade the experience. The only annoyance is the camera angle swaps messing with your orientation, but some believe it's worth it.
Use tank controls. That gif is pretty ridiculous
A new player will not be cheesing the game with such maneuvers.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
A new player will not be cheesing the game with such maneuvers.
That GIF is of Dan Ryckert panicking in this Giant Bomb video (11:40) not someone that's particularly skilled at Resident Evil.
Here's another bit from the same video (9:15) where he gets stuck in a corner going back and forth between two screens as the camera angle changes:

That doesn't happen with tank controls because up is always forward.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer original but you should try both. Learning the tank control will make it the better of the two and the game is designed for it. With that said, it takes time to get used to it if you are a fresh player used to the modern games so I would rather you play analog if tank controls are absolutely a no go. The game is that good.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I will always say give tank controls a chance at first. The game is designed around them and they are best control scheme for dealing with quick camera cuts without disorientation because up is always forward.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
What's with the character selection? Two versions of Chris and Jill... Purely cosmetic I take it? Or will it effect stuff such as story, ammo capacity, weapons available, etc?
Just costumes from later games added for the HD version, no gameplay differences, but they look awkward sometimes (especially Chris, who the game is not intending to be that size).

As for the controls, the newer control scheme makes the game a lot easier, to the point some think it ruins the balance of the game. But if you didn't play a lot of PS1 games, the original controls may be difficult for you to get used to.

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
A question regarding items:

So I've just come to the Golden Arrow item, but my inventory is full so I can't take it (playing as Chris). Is it a key item? How can I drop items, if I can say all? (Haven't noticed a way of doing this). If I come across a key item and my inventory is full, then am I screwed?

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

So I've just come to the Golden Arrow item, but my inventory is full so I can't take it (playing as Chris). Is it a key item? How can I drop items, if I can say all? (Haven't noticed a way of doing this). If I come across a key item and my inventory is full, then am I screwed?
IIRC you can store items in safe rooms. Inventory management is kind of a big deal in the classic RE games, you should try to only carry what you really need.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

you can only get rid of items In your inventory by A) using them or placing them where they belong or B) putting them in an item chest, which are usually by save points and have Infiniti's capacity.Planning what items to take with you and what to pick up when is a major part of the game. I usually don't bring extra ammo or health with me unless I know I'm gonna be facing a boss or something. But it's your first time so figuring it out optimal strategies is all part of the fun.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017

Keep in mind you can also customize the OG tank controls. My favorite is the one that uses R2 to run forward (I think it's control scheme C?). Makes the tank controls a lot easier to get your head around, especially with all the camera changes.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Once you choose original you can then go into the settings and choose from several control schemes. One of these maps forward momentum to the shoulder button, give this a try. It completely fixes tank controls for me and I wish every tank controlled game had it.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once you choose original you can then go into the settings and choose from several control schemes. One of these maps forward momentum to the shoulder button, give this a try. It completely fixes tank controls for me and I wish every tank controlled game had it.

I recall that this is basically how I played Shenmue, right trigger was basically an accelerator.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

GgSy7ka.gif

do-not-want.gif

Real talk OP: try both and play the one that feels right but actually give the tank controls a chance. It's how the game was meant to be played because it preserves momentum across static camera angle transitions and allows for backing up, which is a signature moment of tension in this game and in the series in general.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Play Jill if it's your 1st time. She gets more inventory space and more firepower.

Chris is for those who know how to manage inventory.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

OP I strongly suggest you play as Jill first - she gets two more inventory slots than Chris does. I found him incredibly frustrating to play if you don't know where you find puzzle pieces and where exactly they go.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
As someone who played the original games on PSX, I played REmaster with the modern control scheme and enjoyed it.

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Ok so I've tried both control types now, and I think I prefer the tank controls. But just by a smidge. This is the first fixed camera game I've played since Onimusha back in the day so I'm getting used to that more than anything!

Had also considered restarting with Jill but figured I'd just plough on.

Haven't played much since I started, but love the tone and atmospheric nature of the game.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had also considered restarting with Jill but figured I'd just plough on.

Haven't played much since I started, but love the tone and atmospheric nature of the game.
On the one hand, you'll be able to take much more damage- which is great for running around the mansion the first time! But it will certainly make exploration more plodding- ye have been warned! šŸ˜†

One of my favorite games of all time, and I'd probably just say the GOAT Survival Horror game if it weren't for the Silent Hill franchise.

DB0A95C3159AAC521BDE414B9F00A589C364B9B9

Jun 18, 2018
That doesn't happen with tank controls because up is always forward.

It shouldn't happen because RE preserves your movement direction when the camera changes whilst using the new controls. You don't need to change direction with the analogue stick after a camera switch, but they don't explain that. That first used that trick in Devil May Cry, back on the PS2.

I can play with either, but my only issue with the new controls is that there isn't a turning circle speed - you can go from standing and facing one direction to running in the opposite direction in a frame, which looks odd and makes dodging easier than it should be.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
You can never screw yourself out of key items.

A big aspect of early resident evil games is inventory management. All item boxes (usually in save rooms) share space across the game.

Drop an item off in one item box, retrieve that item from another.

So, you'll usually have a weapon or 2, ammo for that weapon, an herb or health item and then leave open space for things you pick up along the way. When your inventory is full and you need to pick something up, you'll need to find the nearest item chest, drop stuff off and go back.

You're gonna find a lot of keys, arrow heads, gems, crests, things of that sort. They all play into progression through the game.

Use a key to open a door, or slot a gem to move a statue, or collect 3 crests and place them to open a gate. Things like that.

Also remember you can "examine" items in the inventory. That will be important occasionally.

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
On the one hand, you'll be able to take much more damage- which is great for running around the mansion the first time! But it will certainly make exploration more plodding- ye have been warned! šŸ˜†

One of my favorite games of all time, and I'd probably just say the GOAT Survival Horror game if it weren't for the Silent Hill franchise.

DB0A95C3159AAC521BDE414B9F00A589C364B9B9

Lol that meme already hurts!

Are the latter RE games like this with the inventory management? And did they get rid of the fixed camera?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It shouldn't happen because RE preserves your movement direction when the camera changes whilst using the new controls. You don't need to change direction with the analogue stick after a camera switch, but they don't explain that. That first used that trick in Devil May Cry, back on the PS2.

I can play with either, but my only issue with the new controls is that there isn't a turning circle speed - you can go from standing and facing one direction to running in the opposite direction in a frame, which looks odd and makes dodging easier than it should be.

but this means you'll have situations where holding backwards goes forwards. It's extremely disorienting imo.