• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing through REmake a few days ago and with a decent SweetFX/Reshade config it looks much better, but I was disappointed at how bad the backgrounds look. I've taken a fair few screenshots already so I'll make a few comparisons once I finish downloading this on my shitty Australian internet.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Appreciate this post a lot (genuinely wanted to see the worst of it before I bothered downloading), but honestly if that's as 'bad' as it gets then I'm more than sold. I can deal with a little less wood grain considering the other improvements.

This mod is right on time, too. I'll get over RE2make sooner or later, but it's so good it definitely put me in the mood for more RE when I'm done with it (And classic RE is best RE).

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
This is brilliant since I started the game yesterday!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. I was hoping that someone would do this, and I'm disappointed that I have played through about 2/3 of the game in its original state prior to RE2's release.
For anyone thinking about playing this, there are a number of other mods/tweaks that I recommend:
  • In the remaster, some of the music tracks apparently play at the wrong speed. This mod fixes it: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3149/fixed-background-music
  • If you have a high refresh rate monitor you will need to use the SpecialK mod to override the game's refresh rate (I used 0.9.24). The game sets it to 60Hz, but will run at up to 120 FPS if your refresh rate is higher (or if V-Sync is disabled).
  • If you have a G-Sync monitor, I found that the game's mouse cursor was preventing it from activating. Having SpecialK hide the cursor fixed that.
  • The game only supports up to 2560x1440 officially, but even that was not an option on my 3440x1440 monitor for some reason; it only went up to 1920x1200. The game will support higher resolutions if you set them via the config file in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CAPCOM\Resident Evil - biohazard@HD REMASTER\". I recommend sticking to 16:9 resolutions. EDIT: 3440x1440 native is working fine for me now. Not sure why it did not originally, but setting this avoids a mode switch.
  • This plug-in will skip the door animations: https://github.com/ThirteenAG/RE0.RE1.DoorSkipPlugin/releases
  • There is a mod to increase performance here: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/607-resident-evil-hd-remaster-slowdown-fix/ Apparently the game was using certain D3D API calls excessively/unnecessarily, and the mod fixes that. To use it at the same time as SpecialK, rename it to "fpsfix.dll" and add the following lines to the SpecialK config:
    [Import.fpsfix]
    Architecture=Win32
    Filename=fpsfix.dll
    When=Late
    Role=d3d9
Most of what you're seeing is a lack of oversharpened "detail" and sharpening/compression artifacts, not actual texture detail which is missing. These upscales look far more natural and faithful to the original source. The upscaling used in the HD release was awful.

I never realized that the HD remake was that awful and blurry looking. Why even call it HD remake?
3D elements still render at a higher resolution, and it isn't stuck at 30 FPS any more.

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I never realized that the HD remake was that awful and blurry looking. Why even call it HD remake?

I think they're comparing it to the original GC version...

It's technically HD.... The models are rendered at a higher resolution and they did the best they could with the tech available for the backgrounds.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this shit started like... 2-4 years ago. We've gotten several HD Remasters which used basic upscaling techniques that look like trash, and not all of them are as "easily" fixed as a game like this. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for example literally used a photoshop action, which scaled up images, applied a sharpening filter, and then a grain filter. The textures in it look like trash. I dunno how possible it is for someone to update all the textures in that game like this, but I hope it happens. FFXII is a gorgeous game, and I hate seeing the textures muddied.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018

Not sure but I think some of the detail you mention isn't actually texture detail but black crush from heavy sharpening (and then filtering) the original source.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is another good excuse for a replay. I hope there's going to be an attempt to do the same to the older games as well.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to load up RE1, but then remembered those dumb loading door animations. Re2 remake spoiled me.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The game only supports up to 2560x1440 officially, but even that was not an option on my 3440x1440 monitor for some reason; it only went up to 1920x1200. The game will support higher resolutions if you set them via the config file in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CAPCOM\Resident Evil - biohazard@HD REMASTER\". I recommend sticking to 16:9 resolutions.

Alas it seems the internal resolution is locked to 1920x1440 regardless of output resolution, though it's still worth doing the trick you mention for sharper scaling. Sucks to have GPU headroom wasted but it still looks quite nice on a 4k TV, if a tad soft.

But aye the list you've cultivated there is essential, the performance one in particular! Without that the game was constantly hitching for me, pesky D3D calls...

I've started it and it looks extremely good, far better than any of the other upscales with this tech I've tried (like FFIX). Once I've finished with RE7, I'll definitely give this a go since I never finished it last time.

To be fair, this is working from higher resolution assets than FFIX was, which is always going to be an advantage within the recommended ESRGAN range. I suspect FFIX can't look much better than the job they've done given the res

Last edited:

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I kinda like loading doors, it brings additional tension into the mix.
I don't HATE them, but the animation is too long for how frequently you're moving between rooms. ~7 second animation that could be accomplished in 3 or 4. I know that sounds nitpicky. But it adds up and just becomes kind of tedious after a while.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I liked how the doors were skipable in the DS version of RE1. (Ie:you press a button and it skips the animation).

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I kinda like loading doors, it brings additional tension into the mix.

The ideal for me is having them play but be skippable with the press of a button. The DS port of RE1 lets you do this and it lets you keep them there for tension while still easing up the tedium backtracking (also having knife on you by default and not being part of inventory thank christ)

The mod for this is a fair compromise, playing them but then cutting them off a couple of seconds in. Though with it I do miss the sound effects

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, this is working from higher resolution assets than FFIX was, which is always going to be an advantage. I suspect FFIX can't look much better than the job they've done given the res

Yeah. And I imagine it's easier for the algorithm to upscale REmake's darker, more realistic environments as opposed to FFIX's.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Never played REmake, love the RE2 remake though. Because it's modernized just to the right degree. Don't know if I can stomach to jump into the "ancient" mechanics of the og REmake. But I'm tempted, it looks great.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, had no idea. That's cool

Considering the two games came out like eight months apart, one has to wonder what the hell happened for them to lose the files for 1.

Another possibility is that they don't have the means to easily re-render them anymore. REmake's backgrounds were made in Softimage, whereas Zero's were made in Maya (which is still an industry standard, iirc). It might be the case that they didn't want to spend too much money into setting up the licenses and equipment needed to use Softimage again, so they opted to just upscale the backgrounds. If you'll notice, Umbrella Chronicles made use of entire room models lifted directly from REmake, so they definitely have the files still stored somewhere.

PacoChan

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty frustrating that they didn't give the same treatment to this game as with RE0. I love 0, but this one is the game that deserves the most care. Re0 looks and works beautifully, without bugs of any kind.

And you know the most frustrating part? REmake actually has completely re-rendered depth maps. A depth map wouldn't work with just scaling it and it's easy to see that they are actually rendered at high resolution. So contrary to popular belief, I think that they actually have the original assets and they simply didn't give a shit.

Back to the topic, those AI scaled backgrounds look really improved. Maybe I'll play the game again with them.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

There's supposed to be 2 variants of this thing .. one which speeds up the door animation and one which straight up automatically skips them.

I would have loved to get the speed up thing working but for some reason I can't get it to work with my game. The straight-up-skip one works as intended.

I would have liked if the game supported being able to skip the animations by pressing A/X like the older PC versions of RE games did, so you can skip them if you want to or not.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I love what the mod scene has done for REmake, shout out for the original soundtrack and voice acting mods as well.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
So another project was brought to my attention, a 3D artist is recreating the backgrounds, but it seems its still a far ways off (and started in 2015)

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/5581/high-quality-backgrounds-mod

HS074v6.jpg

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Incredible. I was hoping that someone would do this, and I'm disappointed that I have played through about 2/3 of the game in its original state prior to RE2's release.
For anyone thinking about playing this, there are a number of other mods/tweaks that I recommend:
  • In the remaster, some of the music tracks apparently play at the wrong speed. This mod fixes it: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3149/fixed-background-music
  • If you have a high refresh rate monitor you will need to use the SpecialK mod to override the game's refresh rate (I used 0.9.24). The game sets it to 60Hz, but will run at up to 120 FPS if your refresh rate is higher (or if V-Sync is disabled).
  • If you have a G-Sync monitor, I found that the game's mouse cursor was preventing it from activating. Having SpecialK hide the cursor fixed that.
  • The game only supports up to 2560x1440 officially, but even that was not an option on my 3440x1440 monitor for some reason; it only went up to 1920x1200. The game will support higher resolutions if you set them via the config file in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CAPCOM\Resident Evil - biohazard@HD REMASTER\". I recommend sticking to 16:9 resolutions.
  • There is a mod to increase performance here: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/607-resident-evil-hd-remaster-slowdown-fix/ Apparently the game was using certain D3D API calls excessively/unnecessarily, and the mod fixes that. To use it at the same time as SpecialK, rename it to "fpsfix.dll" and add the following lines to the SpecialK config:
    [Import.fpsfix]
    Architecture=Win32
    Filename=fpsfix.dll
    When=Late
    Role=d3d9

Most of what you're seeing is a lack of oversharpened "detail" and sharpening/compression artifacts, not actual texture detail which is missing. These upscales look far more natural and faithful to the original source. The upscaling used in the HD release was awful.

3D elements still render at a higher resolution, and it isn't stuck at 30 FPS any more.
I'm quoting this post to come back to it. Thanks for linking to all of this.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Man, there needs to be a master thread archiving all these mods, I want them all!

I'll be installing this one ASAP. Have been meaning to clean up Chris's route for a while.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't open the site at my job.

Is this a texture pack for Dolphin or a mod for the PC version of REmake?

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So another project was brought to my attention, a 3D artist is recreating the backgrounds, but it seems its still a far ways off (and started in 2015)

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/5581/high-quality-backgrounds-mod

HS074v6.jpg

This looks extremely promising, even if it still has a long ways to go. Just like the RE4 HD Mod project, I'm sure it'll be finished one day in its entirety. Just checked out the thread and Bunny posted recently so it's still making progress currently.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It hurts knowing they had the original .... stuff to remake the backgrounds in RE:0 (they look brilliant), but not the daddio remake :(

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Bunny's mod is probably going to end up looking the best if they finish it, but I wish the upscaling was a little more specific.

Like, I wonder what would happen if we took the GC backgrounds from Zero, and trained the upscaler using the high res versions of those from it's HD version as ground truth, and then used that AI to upscale REmake. I suspect you'd get even better results (unless that's exactly what they did).

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Damn looks good but I borked my install with some other mod(probably just a reshade ) that toggles black crush, fog , grain , and bloom try to force a reshade on top all that and the door mod , i suck at dll chains, will try again with just the textures and reshade

Oct 27, 2017
Never played this particular resident evil ever, and just purchased the remake on steam, glad to see there some mods for the graphics.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just wanted to buy it on the last sale but I keep forgetting about these thing because I'm trying to avoid the clusterfuck that is the Steam store as much as possible...

I played the game already on PS3 and loved it, but this should be something else, it looks great!

Hmm could try some of those key resellers...

Any videos of the mod in action btw?