• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
God I hope the whole thing is in vr, if not then it's automatically a giant step back in gameplay and I hope it bombs.
Honestly if you haven't played this in vr then you don't love video games.

It's the Mario 64 moment for this generation

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the hate for RE7 Chris design. Chris redfield is 44 years old in Resident Evil 7. His design is perfectly fitting. The entire cast main cast of the series is getting older their designs need to reflect it eventually. A minor pet peeve in some series where the main characters barely age visually/design wise throughout the series (looking at you Yakuza đź‘€, I want whatever secret fountain of youth Kiryu and everyone is drinking haha) though RE series is pretty decent at aging characters compared to other series.
Wut

we just saw Chris age from
latest

to
latest

3AmdLL0.png

You think that RE7 face looks more aged and weary than this
eFdLdCi.jpg

f5eoYZ0R9OEj98rmu7M4IRhLNOgXnbGl3k6il1CieOZ82O84MgBoRQ5QyCGqGko2EBHB-ib2FNDWA4nhKpSJZdrMTW_6l_GEvuy4AB0kST8i_Y6jK8AgegJegx3x3ZzxDFk1BJtsjtmxxzUlaQYtnHLz2mQefR_3iA

Last edited:

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Enemy Variety for sure and please fix Chris... Please

but I think they should really look back at RE7 and also take many good things from that game. Especially the weirdness of situation you would always be put in. RE7 was Perfect at this.
Great Antagonists and creepy lore was also great in RE7
The Design choices were also great

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I liked RE7 but I didnt like the Mold. Bring back Zombies please it would have been far more terrifying.

OP
OP
plateaux

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
Wut

latest

to
latest

eFdLdCi.jpg

If anything Chris looks way better in RE7 than these instances.
Wut

latest

to
latest

eFdLdCi.jpg

I'm not sure if these are meant to represent positive examples of how Chris should look, but to me they are very "sculpted from clay" Gears of War meathead style direction. Also each of those three examples provided look like they could be an entirely different person. So I wouldn't exactly say they were consistent by any point. RE7 Chris seemed to take the same revised subtle approach Capcom had with the update to Leon and Claire (and Ada) in RE2. I'm still really not sure what everyone's problem is with RE7 Chris.

Dec 6, 2017
US
RE7 was more of a vaguely interesting hodgepodge of ideas than a good game to me. My reaction was like well, bless their hearts, they're at least trying to bring Horror back into the franchise...?

It seems they're sticking with this template so I'd at least like to see a way more fleshed-out, way less scripted version. I personally don't come to RE for something like that garage fight set piece for example and I hope RE8 moves away from that.

Honestly I'm just glad we got Remake2, it's what I wanted out of a modern RE game despite some flaws. Remake3 is what I can't wait for, RE8 is a big proceed with caution for me.

God I hope the whole thing is in vr, if not then it's automatically a giant step back in gameplay and I hope it bombs.

Lol

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Redfield went from like JJ Watts to Joel Kinnaman.

Jan 4, 2018
I just want the true sequel of Resident Evil 5 with Chris and Jill teaming up like like in Lost in Nightmare and the return of the Mercenaries mode and the Versus mode.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything Chris looks way better in RE7 than these instances.

I'm not sure if these are meant to represent positive examples of how Chris should look, but to me they are very "sculpted from clay" Gears of War meathead style direction. Also each of those three examples provided look like they could be an entirely different person. So I wouldn't exactly say they were consistent by any point. RE7 Chris seemed to take the same revised subtle approach Capcom had with the update to Leon and Claire (and Ada) in RE2. I'm still really not sure what everyone's problem is with RE7 Chris.
Remake, RE5 and RE6 are all the same base face,
2of those 3 examples I provided are from the same game...

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

This game doesn't even take advantage of vr.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I liked 7, but id like a better location after the mansion. That boat and mine parts are really boring.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
A new Resident Evil in the style of 2 and 3 REmake. Though I didn't dislike 7 at all. The other style, classic RE style, is just preferable.
This. These latest remakes are the platonic ideal of RE for me: modern action, but you're surviving in horrifying scenarios. Low ammo; even the most basic enemies can kill you easily; darkness is *dark* - that's what I want to see in RE. Their choice to randomize health and require headshots was absolutely inspired, and the latter mechanic I've been saying for years. Only recently has RE felt like you're actually fighting zombies, and it's great.

So a new adventure should absolutely keep that up, with a few changes.
-Structure wise, I'd want to see multiple police station-type environments strung together in a chain; like 3 or so multilayer psuedo-hubs, strung together with shorter, more linear paths where they could put the [restrained] set-pieces.

-I'd want to see more enemy types. REmake 2 had a bunch of great enemies, but I'd still want to see more, and enemies who don't just feel like rare obstacles - like those plant enemies - compared to how the zombies were a much more present force.

-Bigger crowds would be good to see too, especially towards the end when the threat of just 1 has diminished a good bit. Like imagine a late game scenario where suddenly you get dropped in on a crowd of, like 10 all around you. Terrifying!

-Finally, I'd like to see enemy evolution. By this I mean I'd like to see enemies go through all sorts of different states over time. Maybe you shoot a zombies arm off, and it crawls around on the ground for a few seconds to trip you up. Maybe you pop some cyst on some shambling monstrosity, and a horrifying spider thing bursts out. Maybe you can put a few rounds in the unstoppable monster to open their chest up and get an angle on the zombies on the other side. Etc etc.

-I'd like the weapon mods to be more meaningful. Now, the mods in REmake 2 weren't bad, and I don't mean get absolutely crazy, but maybe, say, a shotgun could pierce multiple enemies. Maybe the pistol ricochets its bullets. Maybe the SMG has tracer rounds which have a chance to set enemies on fire. Unless a stat shift is at least a 50% change (like a magazine going from 30 to 45 rounds) then it tends to be pretty boring, and I'd like to see Capcom branch out.

-More optional methods of engagement. Remember how you could board up windows if you happened to find some planks? More of that. There must be a whole slew of "oh that's neat" non-shooting ways to using your wits and resources. Find light breakers, activate laboratory defenses, stuff like that. Bring back burning bodies vs having a light source. No need to go crazy; this isn't Prey, but I'd want to see more to be done here.

-For me, and this is very much a "for me" thing, but I'd like to see reloading become a analog-stick-based QTE, like pulling off a fireball in Street Fighter to reload a pistol or a charge motion to slot in a shotgun shell. Basic enough, but requires commitment and precision, something that may be in short supply in high stress scenarios...which only ups the tension.

-Mobility with commitment. Building off of 6 here, and maybe it doesn't need to be quite as involved, but I'd like to see some more moves from whoever we're playing as....but I don't want them Doomslayering around the place. Rather, I'm ok with the occasional quick movement, but I'd want to see a labored followup which switches up the scenario. Maybe a jump backwards to avoid a swipe, only to wind up lying on your back...which presents a different field of view, and then getting up would be a second long animation at least, whenever you wanted.

-More..hmm..intuitive health system. I want to be able to operate without having a health bar at all, although I'm sure people would want it in. Lower health has very slightly more jittery aim, maybe the walk animation is a little clunkier as they limp, and so on. Lets make using an herb a tactical choice in an uncertain world, and not just a means to top off a bar for maximum punch tanking.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
God I hope the whole thing is in vr, if not then it's automatically I giant step back in gameplay and I hope it bombs.

It's the Mario 64 moment for
RE7 was more of a vaguely interesting hodgepodge of ideas than a good game to me. My reaction was like well, bless their hearts, they're at least trying to bring Horror back into the franchise...?

It seems they're sticking with this template so I'd at least like to see a way more fleshed-out, way less scripted version. I personally don't come to RE for something like that garage fight set piece for example and I hope RE8 moves away from that.

Honestly I'm just glad we got Remake2, it's what I wanted out of a modern RE game despite some flaws. Remake3 is what I can't wait for, RE8 is a big proceed with caution for me.

Lol

did you play it in vr first, because if you didn't you really shouldn't even be allowed to comment in this thread

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I enjoyed 7, but it felt too scripted at times, and it kinda killed it for me. I didn't really enjoy fighting the same people over and over.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I disliked 7 because of the first person perspective which I don't enjoy in general, the new characters who weren't interesting or memorable, the complete lack of enemy variety and the weak plot and pacing which falls off a cliff in the last third of the game.
However, atmosphere was on point, it felt fresh, and the enclosed location of the Baker house with all its backtracking was reminiscent of the OG PS1 Resident Evil. Awesome stuff.
For me, I want them to use what they pulled off with RE2make and at the same time come up with stronger characters, plotting and enemies. I understand if they feel the need to forge ahead with first person but I need an optional third person mode because first person games make me seasick.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The different scenarios in RE7 have different feels from each other. The variety offsets the relatively short main campaign length, but I would gladly give up all of the side scenarios in favor of a longer and more fulfilling main campaign.

Please don't make RE8 like Not A Hero, though. NAH was clearly the weakest element of RE7 and I'm glad Capcom didn't charge people for it.

I'm still really not sure what everyone's problem is with RE7 Chris.

Doesn't look like Chris. Doesn't act like Chris. Doesn't sound like Chris (in the English dub, anyway).

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Quit the paranormal FEAR/SilentHill-stuff, please. Keep it "grounded".

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
A classic RE in third person, like RE2 Remake. FF7 was it's own thing too much.

I'm not too mad they took that direction for 7 (and 8 apparently) now that we got 2&3 Remakes though, at least they keep appealing to the old fanbase with quality games.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I really don't get the hate for RE7 Chris design. Chris redfield is 44 years old in Resident Evil 7. His design is perfectly fitting. The entire cast main cast of the series is getting older their designs need to reflect it eventually. A minor pet peeve in some series where the main characters barely age visually/design wise throughout the series (looking at you Yakuza đź‘€, I want whatever secret fountain of youth Kiryu and everyone is drinking haha) though RE series is pretty decent at aging characters compared to other series.

I'm just glad he no longer looks like the atrocity that was RE5 and 6 Chris. My least favorite character redesign in series history bleh .
There's a difference between a character getting old (TLOU 2), and a franchise changing its characters' face completely for no reason like what Capcom does with Resident Evil.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I actually quite liked RE7, had been the first mainline game I did since RE4, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer RE8 to build off of what REmake 2 did (not all that convinced that I'll like REmake 3 yet, seems like it's changing significantly more in updating RE3 than RE2 when I felt that the former didn't need as many alterations to the scenario as it's getting). Other than the pacing being better in REmake 2, particularly when comparing openings, the setting and aesthetic are more interesting to me in spite of the fact that I think they did great with the old house in Louisiana in RE7 (not much to say about the abandoned ship or the mines). I didn't mind first-person, but actually being able to see Leon and Claire contributed to making them more engaging compared to Ethan (whom I also didn't dislike), and I preferred REmake 2's over-the-shoulder + defense items combat over aiming in first-person and having ducking/blocking.

Also, hated how RE7 still didn't actually interrupt the game while opening the inventory screen, which remained annoyingly unwieldy and something I'm glad did not carry over to REmake 2 as it got rid of real-time inventory for the first time in a mainline game since RE4.

Oct 28, 2017
Although I like Resident Evil 7 for what it was, it just isn't what I want from RE8. I'd like to see an all new game with the same structure as the RE2 remake. Third person, zombies - maybe Jill and Claire as protagonists.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I enjoyed RE7 a lot, but I LOVED REmake2. I suppose if RE8 has REmake2's enemy variety and mechanics/physics of having to maim them and strategically place shots, RE4's weapon upgrade system. I'd be real happy.

Dec 18, 2017
I think it's time for a hard reset, honestly. Start from the beginning, with a new story and contagion or whatever.

I liked RE better when it was some massive conspiracy we knew less about and was focused on a smaller contained narrative. Having Chris show up or other characters, to me, is shitty fanservice.

RE7 was awesome when it wasnt trying to be RE.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
More enemy and environment variety, thats it, liked base RE7. Please don't go back to dumb over the top action like the DLC hinted

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
- third person (don't care if it's fixed camera but I don't see why they'd do that in this age)
- themes and characters that people know and love (not Ethan, not doing something that feels out of another game, etc)
- don't make some weird faces with the RE Engine (not worried about that, only RE7 really had this issue)
- good pacing
- good bosses
- gameplay that isn't hampered by having to be done in VR too

That's relatively simple, I'm not asking for a masterpiece.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 Chris is straight poop, plain and simple. They need to fix him if they're going to bring him back for RE8.
Remake, RE5 and RE6 are all the same base face,
2of those 3 examples I provided are from the same game...
Yup. What I don't understand is how people can argue that the old designs were all equally wildly different depictions of the character. RE7 is the only outlier in a very long time.

Yes, Leon and Claire in the remake look different too, but we actually like their new versions. There's dozens of people who like RE7 Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I want it to be a whole new scenario, just like 7, and it doesn't have to even link to the rest.

I don't give a flying fuck about the nonsensical continuity or generic characters of the franchise. It's all about feel and scares to me.

I like RE2make but it's not groundbreaking enough. The first half of RE7 was absolutely incredible. All the RE games are basically better in their first halves where you don't know shit about what's happening and you find some weird notes and photographs and you're weak and running around. The minute they try to explain anything and give you flamethrowers and freakin' secret agents or whatever, they go downhill.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Everything also they should cut the first person horror bullshit and go back to its roots.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I just never wanted RE7 to be FPS - It is one of the best 3rd person survival horrors of all time and now they have turned it into a FPS Horror - I don't know why.

RE7 was an amazing horror game - Just WOW - But it was an OK Resident Evil game. That is my take.

I don't know what happened. Were they making a completely new horror title and got worried about sales figures and attention and half way through just slapped in Resident Evil characters here and there to make it R7? Because that is what it looked like.

RE8 is now going to be another FPS / Horror - And yes I am still looking forward to the PSVR Mode - As it was amazing.

With that being said - What I want from RE8? Here is the list of things...

Want more classic characters from previous RE games -
Want levels from previous RE games - So I can experience them in FPS and in VR -
Co-op support - up to 2 players - That'll make it more fun - Even if not full Single Player Campaign, at least give us side missions with co-op -

Last but not the least and I know it'll never happen...

Give us an option to switch from FPS to 3rd Person over the shoulder? Like Battlefront games ...

I am still very much looking forward to RE8 - But now I have started to look more forward to the Remakes more than the actual sequels.

OP
OP
plateaux

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
This. These latest remakes are the platonic ideal of RE for me: modern action, but you're surviving in horrifying scenarios. Low ammo; even the most basic enemies can kill you easily; darkness is *dark* - that's what I want to see in RE. Their choice to randomize health and require headshots was absolutely inspired, and the latter mechanic I've been saying for years. Only recently has RE felt like you're actually fighting zombies, and it's great.

So a new adventure should absolutely keep that up, with a few changes.
-Structure wise, I'd want to see multiple police station-type environments strung together in a chain; like 3 or so multilayer psuedo-hubs, strung together with shorter, more linear paths where they could put the [restrained] set-pieces.

-I'd want to see more enemy types. REmake 2 had a bunch of great enemies, but I'd still want to see more, and enemies who don't just feel like rare obstacles - like those plant enemies - compared to how the zombies were a much more present force.

-Bigger crowds would be good to see too, especially towards the end when the threat of just 1 has diminished a good bit. Like imagine a late game scenario where suddenly you get dropped in on a crowd of, like 10 all around you. Terrifying!

-Finally, I'd like to see enemy evolution. By this I mean I'd like to see enemies go through all sorts of different states over time. Maybe you shoot a zombies arm off, and it crawls around on the ground for a few seconds to trip you up. Maybe you pop some cyst on some shambling monstrosity, and a horrifying spider thing bursts out. Maybe you can put a few rounds in the unstoppable monster to open their chest up and get an angle on the zombies on the other side. Etc etc.

-I'd like the weapon mods to be more meaningful. Now, the mods in REmake 2 weren't bad, and I don't mean get absolutely crazy, but maybe, say, a shotgun could pierce multiple enemies. Maybe the pistol ricochets its bullets. Maybe the SMG has tracer rounds which have a chance to set enemies on fire. Unless a stat shift is at least a 50% change (like a magazine going from 30 to 45 rounds) then it tends to be pretty boring, and I'd like to see Capcom branch out.

-More optional methods of engagement. Remember how you could board up windows if you happened to find some planks? More of that. There must be a whole slew of "oh that's neat" non-shooting ways to using your wits and resources. Find light breakers, activate laboratory defenses, stuff like that. Bring back burning bodies vs having a light source. No need to go crazy; this isn't Prey, but I'd want to see more to be done here.

-For me, and this is very much a "for me" thing, but I'd like to see reloading become a analog-stick-based QTE, like pulling off a fireball in Street Fighter to reload a pistol or a charge motion to slot in a shotgun shell. Basic enough, but requires commitment and precision, something that may be in short supply in high stress scenarios...which only ups the tension.

-Mobility with commitment. Building off of 6 here, and maybe it doesn't need to be quite as involved, but I'd like to see some more moves from whoever we're playing as....but I don't want them Doomslayering around the place. Rather, I'm ok with the occasional quick movement, but I'd want to see a labored followup which switches up the scenario. Maybe a jump backwards to avoid a swipe, only to wind up lying on your back...which presents a different field of view, and then getting up would be a second long animation at least, whenever you wanted.

-More..hmm..intuitive health system. I want to be able to operate without having a health bar at all, although I'm sure people would want it in. Lower health has very slightly more jittery aim, maybe the walk animation is a little clunkier as they limp, and so on. Lets make using an herb a tactical choice in an uncertain world, and not just a means to top off a bar for maximum punch tanking.

I love all these ideas and it sounds like you probably enjoyed Dead Space too!

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just couldn't deal with the first person perspective - and it's not even something that usually bothers me. Maybe I need to give it another go one day. I wound up watching SBF's playthrough and I came away understanding just why so many loved the game, I was legit impressed. Loved how ridiculous the Joe Baker DLC was too.

If I had my way though the series would go back to being third person.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked 7, but there were still some complaints.

-Greater enemy variety. The molded were a fun idea if contained exclusively to either the Baker basement or the ship. In those areas it makes sense. But to have them permeate throughout the whole game as the only real common enemy sucked.
-Please avoid sections like Jake's funhouse. That back and forth in such a small area to do small puzzles was the least satisfying way of presenting puzzles I could think of.

The game is great but its scope and size left a lot to be desired. I love the Baker estate but beyond that, especially by the time you get to the ship, the game really goes on-rail and becomes a slog. I want huge mansions or explorable areas much larger in size than what we got. RE7 felt like a test run, so I hope RE8 does it better.

Jan 31, 2019
I'm having trouble getting into Re2 remake. I liked the first person style from RE7 better - as it felt more immersive. It also just controls more natural in confined spaces in the 1st person IMO. Anyway, glad to hear about Re8 being 1st person, as I believe it to be the superior perspective for the newer entries.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I must prepare the jury by saying I LOVED RE7. When news broke that RE7 would be first person and 100% playable in VR, I was completely ecstatic. I have long been an RE fanatic: each entry has some level of respect from me, with RE1 through Code Veronica being my favorites. 4-6 diminish in quality in that order for me.

I could not believe how well RE7 worked once I had my hands on it. To be clear, I bought PSVR mostly for RE7. I preordered the unit and had it at launch. It remains one of the paramount gaming moments of my life, up there with Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 at launch, Metroid Prime on GameCube - as well as GTA3 on PS2.

Since my initial Launch play through, I have been wanting to go back to it - but I've moved homes and setting up the PSVR on my new PS4PRO and Tv has been kind of an obstruction. I have considered starting a new play through "flat", with no VR, and will likely do that before 8.

As I think about 8, and read recent rumors, I cannot help but ponder what exactly it could be like. 7 struck a perfect balance of new and old for me, however I did miss traditional zombies. I'm curious to hear what the community largely wants out of 8.
Give it a go flat the hdr is excellent it made it hard for me to choose between vr & non vr.

Personally I would like more interesting enemies.

And third person

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
I liked it, but it had several problems.
1 - More interesting enemies. Molded-monsters were boring, both as scare devices and gameplay-wise. RE2 Remake zombies are top. Can we have at least something in the middle?
2 - Stealth against 'villains' was bullshit. Jack was Alien: Isolation for noobs. The part against Marguerite was something so limited and broken that probability would feel embarrassing even in early PS2 era.
3 - Some consinstency in the tone. Going from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to the Thing or whatever, to SAW and Ringu was meh. I know, Resident Evil has always been B Series stuff, and I love it for that, but that was Z Series, without any chance for a post-mortem redemption.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bad RE game. I stand by what I said. RE7 was more true to the spirit and design of the franchise despite Chris only making a cameo at the end.
You're right.

RE7 is an amazing RE game that nails the core survival horror that series is known for. Not only is it a return to form in that respect, but it's a fresh take on a formula that needed one.

RE6 strayed too far from that SH core