• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Does anyone have a legitimate story behind this particular track? Like, I don't know how one of the leading VG companies allowed this to go through.
It's so unintentionally funny I can't help but find it iconic.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

Does anyone have a legitimate story behind this particular track? Like, I don't know how one of the leading VG companies allowed this to go through.
It's so unintentionally funny I can't help but find it iconic.

It is rumored that they used the wrong instruments, so this garbled mess came out.

That is the fixed version of it

m.youtube.com

Resident Evil DC- Basement Music Fix/Rehash

Remember the awful basement music of Director's Cut that sounded like someone blowing a trumpet out of their rear? Well, I wanted to see what it sounded like...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't even understand why they got that guy to rescore a game with a fantastic soundtrack. His music generally isn't that good.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Actual talent aside, Samuragochi was considered like a Japanese Beethoven at the time, so having his name attached to the rerelease was actually a pretty big deal.

I do talk about this in detail in the book I wrote. Not allowed to elaborate but it is a humorous story nonetheless.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
It's just an error in the instrument used it seems like:

Also here's the very well known story about the composer:

www.theverge.com

Deaf 'Resident Evil' composer faked writing his music for over a decade

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Wow, this makes all the difference. It is actually scary instead of DOOT!

Oct 28, 2017
every four months I am reminded this song exists, its a curse and I hate it. People here say it's cause they used the wrong instruments but that doesn't make much sense as the song still sounds like ass and you know... this is in a commercially released game, it's not like the composer made the track never listened to it and just slapped it in there.

My headcanon is that this is the only real song that fraud composer created, like they asked him on the spot for some reason and he couldn't fall back on his ghostwriter

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

www.theverge.com

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

How do we know it's truly an error? the video description just talk about changing the instrument but doesn't really show how it was a legit error and how the new sound it's the one it should be sounding in the game.

About the track, is so hilarious I just can't help but love it. It's like on of those Simpsons episodes where Homer is ordered to do some shit for a company like a car or a movie.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.theverge.com

Finally, now I know! Thanks

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap OP, you got me in tears, lol. It sounds like a kid playing with a midi keyboard.

Yeah, that's some terrible stuff right there. Makes you wonder how it got there in the shipped game in the first place.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
kestral631 year ago
If the composer was faking his deafness, imagine how hard he was gritting his teeth unable to tell people these were the wrong instruments and this wasn't supposed to be Clowns Farting in the Basement.

New Resident Evil Save Room Music1 year ago
Perhaps someone from the sound team knew about the fraud and set up the mess on purpose as a challenge for the composer.

OMG XD

Basically this scene irl (Steve Martin is a conman pretending to be crippled, Michael Caine is a conman who knows this):

LOL thanks, amazing scene!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
That fixed version still isn't a patch on the original

Interestingly I don't think REmake even had a remix of this track.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Goofy in what way? Because it sounds pretty much what i'd expect of a PS1 ambient horror soundtrack
The instrumentation is fine and appropriate but the melody is all over the place and unfocused.
I see what they were trying to do (using non-conventional melodies to create an unnerving atmosphere) but I don't think it works all that well, I have a lot of trouble taking this melody seriously.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If they ever remake RE1 a second time, the first time Rebecca attempts to play the piano and completely botches it, a piano rendition of this should be what she plays.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, I feel like this song would fit right into a sketchy locale in Earthbound.