• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
If they do RE3make I hope they change her outfit and add the original as an easter egg or something.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second point still stands. If you're planning to do a lot of running, dodging, climbing etc. mini-skirt and a tube top should be one of your last choices. Realistically you would want to wear something more comfortable and durable, that wouldn't limit your range of movement, and wouldn't roll up (the skirt) or fall down (the tube top) while you're trying to escape zombies.

Let's not pretend that Jill doesn't wear what she wears simply because of fan service.

I don't think it is fanservice, the series has never really done this with main costumes. In the late 90s tube tops were super popular in fashion (as was tying a top round your waste) so the Devs just went with current trends for civilian clothing.

And those arguments are, to me at least, on level with "Why not just shoot the locks to open the door/climb over obstacle/walk out of city in straight line" etc.

Last edited:

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys! i got this today, my first time owning one. Started to play RE2 dual shock on it. pretty neat =)
8Haa2XGh.jpg
Very nice! I still play. Love laying on my bed and playing it ha.

As a kid, I wanted one of those so bad. Mainly to have it with the battery pack. So I could have a portable PS1.
Even now I still kinda want one.
Dude, you should! I finally bought the car adaptor for it last year, for a road trip. My friends and I took turns playing Twisted Metal and Legend of Mana mp/co-op.

Oct 30, 2017
The second point still stands. If you're planning to do a lot of running, dodging, climbing etc. mini-skirt and a tube top should be one of your last choices. Realistically you would want to wear something more comfortable and durable, that wouldn't limit your range of movement, and wouldn't roll up (the skirt) or fall down (the tube top) while you're trying to escape zombies.

Let's not pretend that Jill doesn't wear what she wears simply because of fan service.

In my opinion Jill's RE3 outfit was definitely a "sex sells" or fanservice kind of thing. It doesn't bother me that she's not in full tactical gear but this outfit in particular is pretty blatant.

I went to google and found on Wikipedia that I'm not the only person to wonder about her outfit, the Jill Valentine page says "The reason given by Capcom for her informal clothing is that she had recently resigned from the RCPD immediately prior to Raccoon City being overrun by zombies." and the citation for that line says "She is just on her way out of town (hence the casual attire) when the new nightmare begins."

so I guess maybe ALL of her clothing is like that and she picked the best set, HA!

The funny part is I think the RE3 chapters were probably the best ones in the whole game on balance.
I can't speak to balance, played all the levels once or the minimum amount required to A Rank and unlock bonus levels, but it was the first time I felt the difficulty go up. Considering we're in the Raccoon City streets now, they put more zombies on screen than before which was nice. The robot Nemesis voice is so bad though, why...

Speaking of Umbrella Chronicles, I beat it like an hour ago. The last few boss fights were tough! It reminded me of Castlevania or other games where you have to memorize and react to the enemy patterns. The whole Russia area along with the new characters for this part, Sergei and the Ivans, are pretty bland and generic. I hope they don't count as canonical.

Faria

Jan 26, 2018
I can't speak to balance, played all the levels once or the minimum amount required to A Rank and unlock bonus levels, but it was the first time I felt the difficulty go up. Considering we're in the Raccoon City streets now, they put more zombies on screen than before which was nice. The robot Nemesis voice is so bad though, why...

Speaking of Umbrella Chronicles, I beat it like an hour ago. The last few boss fights were tough! It reminded me of Castlevania or other games where you have to memorize and react to the enemy patterns. The whole Russia area along with the new characters for this part, Sergei and the Ivans, are pretty bland and generic. I hope they don't count as canonical.

The entire game is canon, but as for the RE3 chapters, they just reused the environments for the Outbreak games. That's why it was so different.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Umbrella's End is definitely canon.

Oct 25, 2017
Found a high resolution image of the iconic RE1 cover last year, and tried to clean it up a little in Photoshop.

http:///DKPc.png
http:///EKPc.png

876cfa2b13b5f85766a7d6017f1e89fb.jpg

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If they do RE3make I hope they change her outfit and add the original as an easter egg or something.

Jill's outfit whilst making no sense in her current situation is iconic. I would hate to lose it but I understand why it would most likely be changed.

I quite liked this tank top version from the DC release which makes more sense than a tank top but the skirt is pretty much the same (just not leather?? (was her og skirt leather???)).

4ff2fccc93f2a.png

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Just started with resident evil 7 today got two questions so far:

Just escaped the family after being kidnapped in the guest house

1. How do I see my health?
Will the family members always walk around the house? I just escaped the father (I assume) and found my way to the laundry room. The thing is that I found this segment extremly stressful and I'm not sure I can take a full game of it

EDIT: Just figured out question 1, Yay for rubber duck problem solving.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just started with resident evil 7 today got two questions so far:

Just escaped the family after being kidnapped in the guest house

1. How do I see my health?
Will the family members always walk around the house? I just escaped the father (I assume) and found my way to the laundry room. The thing is that I found this segment extremly stressful and I'm not sure I can take a full game of it

EDIT: Just figured out question 1, Yay for rubber duck problem solving.

The family won't always chase you. Depends on what has happened in the game.

Zambatoh

Oct 29, 2017
Jack and Marguerite's encounters are very heavily scripted. They will only appear at certain points in the story and even then they will only follow a set "patrol" route until they spot you.
And even when they do spot you, they generally won't leave their designated areas and will not follow you into a save room.
I've had some pretty hilarious situations where Jack would instantly lose sight of me the moment I step into the save room and he immediately reverts back to saying "WHERE ARE YOU BOY?"

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
"Good" to hear that I am not alone. The first part was super stressfull to me.

Yeah it's Maniac Mansion all over for me, MM was the scariest game I knew when I was like 5-6 years old with the crazy family (especially nurse Edna) chasing and capturing you if you met them whilst exploring their house. And playing MM still makes me nervous/stressed even to this day.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The North American branding of the original 3 Resident Evil logos was always so weird in comparison to Japan and Europe.
logo-1-dc-us.png
latest
latest

There's just no brand consistency.

Versus:

Resident-Evil-Sony-PlayStation-1-1996-European.jpg
res2dc0f.jpg
residentevil3-400x400.png

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's Maniac Mansion all over for me, MM was the scariest game I knew when I was like 5-6 years old with the crazy family (especially nurse Edna) chasing and capturing you if you met them whilst exploring their house. And playing MM still makes me nervous/stressed even to this day.
The opening part of RE 7 is probably the most stress-inducing part of the game aside from one other very special segment which I won't spoil for you. In terms of limiting how stressed you'll be:

when you get upstairs (after the bossfight), do not touch the bathtub until you've explored and collected what you need. It becomes even more stressful if you touch the tub first.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The opening part of RE 7 is probably the most stress-inducing part of the game aside from one other very special segment which I won't spoil for you. In terms of limiting how stressed you'll be:

when you get upstairs (after the bossfight), do not touch the bathtub until you've explored and collected what you need. It becomes even more stressful if you touch the tub first.

Got past the part in the spoiler. It was easier to handle this time, possibly due to having more space to maneuver in. But sheesh I really see how they went more for horror compared to the last couple of games.

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing the RE games I haven't played yet or don't remember anything about. I stagger the RE games with non-RE to keep from burning out but man, I am having trouble enjoying the non-RE games right now. I'm playing Radiant Historia on DS and it's good, but the whole time I'm just dreaming of playing more RE.

I ordered PS2 RE Outbreak 1 on ebay for $7. I never played either Outbreak game and the responses that the RE3 part of Umbrella Chronicles used those assets intrigued me. I checked gameplay vids and am pleased to see it's basically multiplayer classic RE with tank controls. I'll be playing with AI but I'm looking forward to a civilian's point of view during this whole mess. If I like Outbreak enough, I'll get File 2.

I will be skipping the Survivor and Dead Aim games. They just don't look enjoyable. So still to come for me are:

Darkside Chronicles
Outbreak 1
RE 7. I'm saving this one for last

I should play 5 as well, don't remember squat about that game but I have it on PS3 with no PS3 anymore.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always like the first Survivor game, Survivor 2 is trash and Dead Aim is just bad.

The first game though I played a lot, I liked it's branching paths and story. The lightgun controls worked very well too. Controller is a lesser experience.

Oct 30, 2017
Survivor 1 looks damn unplayable. the video I watched for Dead Aim recommended using a USB Mouse for aiming (on PS2! mind blown) and looks much better than the first 1. Either way, I'll be skipping all 3. I am contemplating Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps, so my plate already has a good helping of bad on it already.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Survivor 1 looks damn unplayable. the video I watched for Dead Aim recommended using a USB Mouse for aiming (on PS2! mind blown) and looks much better than the first 1. Either way, I'll be skipping all 3. I am contemplating Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps, so my plate already has a good helping of bad on it already.

For ORC, it's best to play on easy for the most enjoyment. Unless you have friends to coop with. The higher you go on difficulty the more the enemies become bullet sponges. The games difficulty doesnt really adapt to the amount of players.

For Umbrella Corps the brained melee (With R3) is your friend. It swings quick and does major damage. You're better off using that on every enemy over guns 90% of the time.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
RE7 has neat ideas but it's a middle of the pack RE game to me. Enemy variety is low and the look of them is so plain. I will say I am a fan of the ship location, it felt the most like an old RE style hunt for items and trying to survive until you reach a save room. It's a game with a great middle but I felt the start (I don't like hide and seek games) and end were lacking.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Been on something of n RE kick ever since E3. Got a whole summer of new games I should be playing and instead I'm just playing old ones, lol. Replayed 6,7 and zero since they're the games I've beaten the least out of all the series.

And now I'm on my second favorite game in the series behind RE2, Resident Evil 5. I'm right before the Excella boss fight and damn this game holds up so well. It's also the first time I;ve played it in 60 fps thanks to the xbox remaster.

It's also been fun basically starting a new file and upgrading my guns again/collecting all medals.

Oh, and is there any question that this game has the best track in the series (besides Heat on Beat)? Damn what a good boss fight.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replayed RE4 and RE5 and I am still ticked off with how they handled Wesker at the end of RE5, I really hope they bring him back some way.

Oct 28, 2017
So I check out this thread and the first post I see at the top of the page is someone saying RE3 Remake should change Jill's outfit.

You people don't deserve RE3 Remake.

Oct 30, 2017
So I check out this thread and the first post I see at the top of the page is someone saying RE3 Remake should change Jill's outfit.

You people don't deserve RE3 Remake.
Lol, I'm the one that started that discussion. I just beat Umbrella Chronicles and was wondering if there's an in-game explanation for her RE3 outfit. I wouldn't go as far as having it changed for RE3 remake, an update would be fine but it is a part of RE3 now, like it or not. I always found it odd that that is the outfit she chose to escape the city in

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, I'm the one that started that discussion. I just beat Umbrella Chronicles and was wondering if there's an in-game explanation for her RE3 outfit. I wouldn't go as far as having it changed for RE3 remake, an update would be fine but it is a part of RE3 now, like it or not. I always found it odd that that is the outfit she chose to escape the city in
I have often wondered this. But it doesn't really matter. What matters is that the outfit is iconic. And hey, if you're gonna die, why not die in your best outfit?

September 28th. Daylight. The prudes have overtaken the city. Somehow......I'm still fabulous.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Funny thing is, as much as people shit on RE Apocalypse, it attempted to explain the iconic outfit. In the movie during that time, Raccoon City was hit with an unseasonably warm heat wave so she's wearing lighter clothing.