• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm finally finishing Resident Evil 7 - spoilers coming up

I am in the boat section and, frankly, I wish the game had finished as you left the house.

There's lots of exposition going on but I'm getting a bit bored and as I say I'd wish they wrapped it up at the house

What's your thoughts?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
been a long time but I believe I remember feeling the same. Felt like a little too much near the end of that area.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boat is the weakest part of the game, yeah, but the very last level of the game is pretty good.

Make sure you play End of Zoe!

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
You are at the action part of the RE formula its not great but its still fine.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You're correct; game goes to shit after the Lucas part. everything up to that was perfect though. I'm hoping 8 is a more consistent experience.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Yes the house is the best part. The most creative memorable stuff happens in the house. The boat section isn't too bad but the section after that is very boring.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry OP, it gets worse! I still really like the game, but it definitely goes downhill hard. Fortunately I'm pretty sure Capcom are aware and will rectify it for Village.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the boat section was okay, although I would've preferred we got more of the Baker residence to explore. The mines were the real low point.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
I actually really like this part from both a storytelling and gameplay perspective, I thought the contrast between it and the rest of the game was fine and that it was a good, welcome change of pace to lead towards the final section of the game.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, honestly felt like once you leave the house, the game's pacing falls apart. I like exploring the mansion and its surroundings. I wish the game stayed there a bit longer and just fleshed it out a bit more.

I liked playing as Mia though, but the boat setting was just boring imo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The boat is effectively the obligatory shootbang lab section of other Resi games, a curse the franchise can't escape.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
The bottom floor of the boat was one of the creepiest parts to me And super tense in VR especially. It was so murky and dark and hard to tell where enemies were at. I loved the boat section so my least favorite would probably be what's after that. I say least, but all of it was great still.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The boat is effectively the obligatory shootbang lab section of other Resi games, a curse the franchise can't escape.

Actually the boat is the closest to classic RE level design in the game (even more so than the mansion). It's the boring environmental art and lack of new enemies that holds it back. It's the *next* section that's the obligatory "shoot bang" lab section.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the boat is the closest to classic RE level design in the game (even more so than the mansion). It's the boring environmental art and lack of new enemies that holds it back. It's the *next* section that's the obligatory "shoot bang" lab section.
Guess it's been too long and my memory has failed me somewhat, my mind keeps relating exploring the dark and dank boat with a submachine gun for goop monsters.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's been too long and my memory has failed me somewhat, my mind keeps relating exploring the dark and dank boat with a submachine gun for goop monsters.

Oh yeah, the awful videotape flashback there is definitely what you describe.

Mansion, boat, laboratory.

Every Resident Evil game ends action-y. Every single one. Remake and RE2 don't escape this. I'm wondering why RE7 gets hit for it more than the others.

It's not that it's more actiony, it's that there are no new enemies or challenges, the environment is boring, and the level design literally just becomes a tunnel. The more action-y sequences that end the other games are of a higher caliber imo (even if they're usually the weakest parts of their respective games) and tend to offer some twists and little more navigational challenge than what 7 throws at you.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Unpopular opinion, but I thought the boat section was one of the game's highlights. Even though I didn't really know what was going on story-wise, I enjoyed the section's tensity.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy talk. The boat is excellent level design with two distinct depictions (past and present) and features some of the most harrowing exploration and enemy encounters in the game, as well as playable Mia and new insights into her and Eveline. If anything it adds enormous content value to the game.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game's quality takes a huge nose dive when you leave the main house around 4 hours in. RE2 did a much better job of keeping the game well designed all the way through.

Oct 28, 2017
Actually the running around the boat without a weapon part was kinda refreshing after how the game ramped up gradually up to that point.
But wait till you get in the mines, LOL. That's where they REALLY ran out of ideas.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the last area in most RE games take place in a boring sterile environment. RE6 is ironically the only game in the series that has an epic last area (if you play as Leon). Was never a fan of lab sections. They always felt budget constraint compared to every other area.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
The boat is okay. It's the
underground lab
when things go bad. Luckily the game is still good even with a bad last section/boss fight.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the last area in most RE games take place in a boring sterile environment. RE6 is ironically the only game in the series that has an epic last area (if you play as Leon). Was never a fan of lab sections. They always felt budget constraint compared to every other area.

I think REmake's lab is the only one in the series that I'm not at least somewhat let down by (and it's still not as good as the mansion—obviously—or guardhouse).

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Far from bad, but the last 25% of the game was a weaker experience compared to what came before it, all I wanted by then was for the game to warp it up.

Everything before the boat though, was the best gaming horror experience I've had.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy the series, but I feel like every Resident Evil game follows this formula, where the first 50% is amazing and then the rest is weaker, and more so as you press on. RE7 was no different.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game for the first time and completely agree. Everything went downhill after getting to the boat.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not as strong as the house but I was fine with the change of pace and thought it was solid, the boat isn't even close to the worst part of that game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'd straight up forgotten the mines from the main game and was just thinking of Chris' post game DLC run when people were on about mines.
I need to revisit this game, preferably with the DLC so I can punch stuff.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I wished they expanded the boat part and reduced the amount of time on the Baker property. I kept asking myself: How many more houses did do they own!?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I think REmake's lab is the only one in the series that I'm not at least somewhat let down by (and it's still not as good as the mansion—obviously—or guardhouse).

Agreed. It's the only lab in the series that's actually really good And felt fresh at the time. It got way to redundant in its sequels.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Each area after the main house gets worse and worse. The molded suck and RE7 has the worst enemy variety.

Honesty, I like the Beginning Hour demo better than the full game.

Oct 27, 2017
The end of RE7 feels a bit like Capcom questioning their own confidence in what they were doing. Almost like they felt they needed to leave the house because players expect multiple areas in these games.

I know RE1 technically takes in a couple of different areas, but there is still a focused consistency on a single location that I wish RE7 had replicated.

Dec 11, 2017
I just want to let the OP know that after you finish RE7, the Not a Hero DLC and then the End of Zoe DLC actually wrap up the story and are worth playing despite being a bit of a departure.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, everything from the boat onward sucks. RE games have always struggled with the final area being the least interesting part of the game. Revelations 2 being the exception with the end actually being one of the best parts of the game. And RE6 as well... Though Leon's campaign end area was pretty bad.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
After the house I was bored until the end. Only End of Zoe was any fun after that. Least favourite RE. You're definitely not alone in feeling the way you do.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I'm on my Madhouse playthrough now and I'm not looking forward to the boat section at all. I'm gonna feel so naked without the Circular Saw :( It's definetely the most claustrophobic environment in the game for me.