• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
However, while we have the total number of copies sold on 360/PS3 and on PS4/Xbox One (which in RE6's total 6+ years of existing, is around 8.6 million currently including 360/Ps3/PS4/Xbox One), we actually lack the total sales now on PC since SteamSpy went defunct and RE6 apparently hasn't sold over 1 million copies on PC as it's not on Capcom's Platinum Titles list.

We can use the Wayback Machine to check how the numbers looked before that. Here's a capture from March 30, 2018 which lists RE6 as having sold over 1M copies:
nHTyq4e.jpg

That also matches with this leak that happened a few months later which revealed accurate numbers:

Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6 - 1,317,100

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. It rekindled my love for the series. Experiencing it in VR pushed it to one of my top 5 gaming experiences of all time.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this goes for most games, but how much of that sold for 20 €/$ or less? Game has been that or below for at least year I think.
Probably still made more off RE7 for £20, Then they did for RE6 which was ridiculously cheap on steam for years, Let alone dropped dramatically few weeks after release due to poor reception.

As much as i loved RE7 in VR, They ballsed up the so called big expansions for it( EOZ/NAH).. As they pandered too the action fans bigtime with those, Old man punching molded felt so removed from the main game.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
That's fantastic news! I was actually fearful it hadn't performed well due to the move to a more intimate survival-horror experience.

Really great game. I'm pretty much in RE heaven with RE7 and RE2.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Stocks aren't what determine a game's success. Again, you seem to ignore that shareholders were disappointed with the most successful game in Capcom's history. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold over 20 million copies and yet Take Two's stocks dropped, in no way does that mean Red Dead 2 was a failure. What determines a game's success are breaking even and then profit margins after that. RE7 made it's budget back on preorders alone, everything else has been raw profits.
In the cases of Monster Hunter and RDR2: overestimation from investors. There was no overestimation for RE7 since its expected sales were lower than the previous two RE titles.
As for RE7 making its budget back on preorders alone, that's likely because it was a low budget title (which raises a question: why was a low-budget, contentless game sold at $60?)
With regards to the second point...they combine sales because...they're the same game? Are you being serious right now?
Capcom never did that until RE7. The Gold Edition of RE5 is counted as separate.

Most games' lifetime numbers are based on steady amounts of unit sold at discount prices unless you're a Rockstar mega hit, RE7 really isn't as much of an outlier as you seem to think it is. RE3 and Nemesis in particular are so beloved the idea they wouldn't sell is preposterous.
The lion-share ($) of most games happens during their release windows.
I didn't say a RE3 remake can't sell, I said it would sell less than REmake 2, just like the original RE3 sold less than RE2. Also, Capcom can't remake games forever.

I won't even address that last bit, you're clearly trolling at this point.
To survive in the AAA market you either create trends or follow trends. Capcom is too risk-averse to create trends, so going full open-world would be a great way to refresh the series and incentive consumers. Do you really think there's a lot of people willing to pay $60 for another small, linear, single-player only game?

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
This isn't true at all.

It's survival horror for the majority of the game, the only time it really dips into action is when fighting the mercenaries on the island toward the end.

The way the combat versus the cultists is designed is core RE. The need to position shoot, reposition. The need to manage and conserve ammo. The need to prioritise targets and solve each encounter like a puzzle.

It has action elements but they don't change the core.
That's like... every game with guns ever.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
RE 7 was a game I definitely had to eat crow over. When first announced a first person RE game centered around a hillbilly family didn't not interest me at all and was worried we'd get another poor title in the series. Ended up enjoying the game alot more than I thought I would. While the game has a couple flaws it's overall a solid experience and was alot of fun. Happy to see it has sold well.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My opinion? Make RE8 an open-world title with a robust survival/battle-royale multiplayer mode.

*Also, combining the sales of the vanilla edition of RE7 with the Gold Edition feels like an attempt to inflate the results. Capcom rarely does this but they did with RE7 and Street Fighter V, both games that underperformed.

Open world survival horror? Nah. We already have that shit in Dead Rising 3. Don't really think it works well.

Also, despite me thinking that RE7 sold less than Capcom expectation, but I don't think they combine all SKU to inflate the result. They just keep changing the way they count their game. Originally they separate the number for every single SKU ( look at vanilla RE 1,2,3,4, code veronica ). Then they start combining multiple platform ( RE5, 6 ), and now they combine every release which base from the same game ( RE7 ). This don't just apply to RE or game that underperform but every game now. Maybe it doesn't matter for them since they still make money with minimal investment anyway.

BTW, lots of people around me who didn't play RE7, not because it went back to being survival horror game but because it use first person POV. That is a big factor for people who has motion sickness. Same people bought RE2 only because it's use RE4 camera angle. Outside of resetera, there are actually normal people who will just buy any RE game regardless of it being survival horror or not. To them it's just a fun zombie game.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It was really difficult to be a Resident Evil fan last generation. Resident Evil 7 put the series back on the map and REmake 2 further pushed it back into GOAT status. I hope Capcom can continue to momentum.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The way the combat versus the cultists is designed is core RE. The need to position shoot, reposition. The need to manage and conserve ammo. The need to prioritise targets and solve each encounter like a puzzle.

That doesn't make it survival horror, that makes it an intelligently designed action game.

RE4 is a giant, ridiculous, action setpiece romp. You may as well call RE6 survival horror.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is easily one of my 5 favorite games of all time, but it is not survival horror.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
In the cases of Monster Hunter and RDR2: overestimation from investors. There was no overestimation for RE7 since its expected sales were lower than the previous two RE titles.
As for RE7 making its budget back on preorders alone, that's likely because it was a low budget title (which raises a question: why was a low-budget, contentless game sold at $60?)

RE7's expected sales were 4 million, which is what RE6 made in it's first week. They just adjusted projections to match the previous numbered title, plus taking into account they were going in a new direction departing from co-op and action, and that is bound to result in lower numbers (which it did, and yet the game has enjoyed a steady success ever since).

Regardless, though, it's very clear where you stand when you call RE7 a "low budget, contentless game". You're either very misinformed, have a serious vendetta against the game, or both.

Capcom never did that until RE7. The Gold Edition of RE5 is counted as separate.

And yet when talking about RE5 sales you add up all of it's ports and the Gold Edition, because that's the totality of RE5's sales. Doing it now is just simplifying a process they internally do anyway.

Yes, a big chunk of a game's profit is initial sales. And then they keep selling, eventually getting discounts. That's lifetime sales.

To survive in the AAA market you either create trends or follow trends. Capcom is too risk-averse to create trends, so going full open-world would be a great way to refresh the series and incentive consumers. Do you really think there's a lot of people willing to pay $60 for another small, linear, single-player only game?

6.1 million and counting say yes.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It was really difficult to be a Resident Evil fan last generation. Resident Evil 7 put the series back on the map and REmake 2 further pushed it back into GOAT status. I hope Capcom can continue to momentum.

think they have now understood what make resident evil special and fun... Took then a couple of failure... happy they woke up.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit, what a fucking take!

That salt...

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I didn't say a RE3 remake can't sell, I said it would sell less than REmake 2, just like the original RE3 sold less than RE2. Also, Capcom can't remake games forever.

LOL what a garbage opinion.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome but im hoping REmake2 surpasses it in a year because I really want to see RE 8 be in third person as im not a fan of RE in first person. Just doesn't fit for me personally.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Resident Evil 7 is a shitty game. I actually can't believe it has a fan base seeing as how it stripped away all of RE's personality in favor of crappy VR gimmicks and generic slasher film tropes. Seriously fuck that game.

I'm so glad RE2 got made to remind people just how great the series is when its characters take front and center.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion? Make RE8 an open-world title with a robust survival/battle-royale multiplayer mode.

giphy.gif

Both RE7 and RE2 Remake (which shipped 3 million in its first week) are small, linear and single-player games which proves you wrong.

Last edited:

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It wasn't too long ago I read that the sales of RE7 were disappointing to Capcom so this is interesting.

I'm a huge fan of the brand but it took me a while to get around to it since it looked like a game designed for streamers. My feelings on the game are that it's good but has serious pacing issues. Hurts its replayability. Thankfully the Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLC campaigns were incredible.

RE2R is going to likely be the best selling game in the series at some point though. That game is just too good and the response has be ridiculously positive. The RE series is in the best spot its been since the original PlaySation.

They never said they were dissapointed. It underperformed compared to their internal expectations by a few hundred K's. They actually stated multiple times that they're really happy with the sales despite of that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make it survival horror, that makes it an intelligently designed action game.

RE4 is a giant, ridiculous, action setpiece romp. You may as well call RE6 survival horror.

Sorry but I disagree. And those aren't the only elements, it plays just like core RE games from a different perspective
That's like... every game with guns ever.

It's really not. I didn't think I had to eleaborate as we're al familiar with RE, but all those things have a specific emphasis that's there in the original games and is there here too.

All the elements from RE1-3 are intact in terms of exploration, item management, management of enemies, encounters style, item use, puzzles... just because it's third person and has some action moves doesn't mean it's an action game

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly happy. Finally managed to beat the game after taking years to get around it. People always clowned the sales, trying to return the series back to Resident Evil 6. Good to know, and Resident Evil 2 remake has been far better than expected.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is two years old? When did this happen??!! Reminds me that I should probably play through this game again. Such a great game that it deserves an annual playthrough, especially around the Halloween season.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking fantastic, and well deserved.

RE7 is to VR what Super Mario 64 was to 3d.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm someone who loves both sides of the RE coin but I would be pretty disappointed if RE8 turned the franchise back into something that's action focused considering that from 2005 to 2014 we got 5 action games (3 mainline games & 2 important/major side games). Like, it still feels like Survival Horror RE just came back. However while I want RE8 to still be a horror game (preferably first person but I'll take third person) BUT I would be 100% on board with the RE3 remake being a full on action game. I think making the RE3 remake a action game honestly almost fits the tone of that game better than if it were a horror game as Nemesis was the only scary thing about RE3 and even then the game really encourages you to fight Nemesis by rewarding you for fighting him.

Also, I've said this in other threads but (I think you might appreciate this thought) bring back Dino Crisis in an RE6 style game. I want to jump kick and suplex dinos!

I mainly say this just because, capcom has yet to put the pillar idea to work. They either go all-in on one style or make games that don't play to the strengths of either (Rev games). Even when everything was action, I kept saying "Hey, they need to do something for survival horror style". We at least got a taste of action-sided things with RE7 DLC (EoZ & NaH). But there hasn't been much outside that. Was rather disappointed they didn't capitalize on Hunk in RE2. Dude literally has flash grenades and yet can't use his iconic neckbreaker.
That's besides the point. But i'd say right now, Capcom has perfected the Survival Horror style in the current gen. So now, they should have at least one team who is working on being able to perfect that RE4 style balance of Action, Horror, Tension, & Atmosphere.
Much like you said, RE3 would be the title to do it with. But we'll see if it happens, I haven't heard much of what they're trying to do with it yet. Despite it apparently being closer than they're leading us to believe.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Much like you said, RE3 would be the title to do it with. But we'll see if it happens, I haven't heard much of what they're trying to do with it yet. Despite it apparently being closer than they're leading us to believe.

Not RE3. Remakes should stay true to the essence of the games, and the essence of RE3 is not an action game like RE4-6. It's like RE2 with a little bit more focus on action.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
RE7 was my fav RE but now that I played RE2 remake I dont know...

RE is doing damn nice these days which is great after having to experience 6 lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not RE3. Remakes should stay true to the essence of the games, and the essence of RE3 is not an action game like RE4-6. It's like RE2 with a little bit more focus on action.

All i'm saying is RE3 has the potential to be such a thing. The most I can explain it, is before RE2make came out. The idea that RE2 would be OTS was considered by many to be something that wouldn't work. Yet here we are, with it being considered one of the best titles in the series. Saying RE3 could have more of an action slant isn't me saying "It needs to be me sliding, pulling off quick shots, and doing a coup de grace". Just that I could see capcom doing something that still stays truthful to the spirit but plays much differently from RE2.

There's been two Survival Horror titles back to back. It's my turn to eat now.
Or Capcom can just make me that new Dino Crisis game so I can leave RE alone.
492667263854575617.png

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
All i'm saying is RE3 has the potential to be such a thing. The most I can explain it, is before RE2make came out. The idea that RE2 would be OTS was considered by many to be something that wouldn't work. Yet here we are, with it being considered one of the best titles in the series. Saying RE3 could have more of an action slant isn't me saying "It needs to be me sliding, pulling off quick shots, and doing a coup de grace". Just that I could see capcom doing something that still stays truthful to the spirit but plays much differently from RE2.

What are you imaging? Because I do think RE3 could have more action, more than that actually, it should have more action (just not much). But my impression is that you'd like something closer to RE4 than RE2. With Jill shooting zombies in the head and then high kicking them.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I don't want Capcom to give up on this style of FPS gameplay even though RE2Make is shooting up fire. Forge onwards and give us something just as good with RE8. Then RE3Make. Then RE9. Then RECodeVeronicaMake. Then RE10. Then... *instert thinking face emoji here*

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What are you imaging? Because I do think RE3 could have more action, more than that actually, it should have more action (just not much). But my impression is that you'd like something closer to RE4 than RE2. With Jill shooting zombies in the head and then high kicking them.

What i'd like isn't what we'd get though.
If I ever made an RE game, most people on this forum would be mad lol.
As for what capcom will do, I think they'll extend a lot of RE2's stuff. Like you'll actually be able run at a faster pace because Nemesis is coming for you. I would hope there's some sort of dodge that's tied to a button as well (Anything other than the Rev 1 style dodge).
Any sort of melee would be more practical like in pushing zombies or stomping on heads. Then i'd imagine it'd be a bit easier to move and aim compared to RE2.
You definitely want that balance to bring tension to playing as Jill, without making it seem she's just a weakling despite being a decorated STARS member at that point.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
What i'd like isn't what we'd get though.
If I ever made an RE game, most people on this forum would be mad lol.
As for what capcom will do, I think they'll extend a lot of RE2's stuff. Like you'll actually be able run at a faster pace because Nemesis is coming for you. I would hope there's some sort of dodge that's tied to a button as well (Anything other than the Rev 1 style dodge).
Any sort of melee would be more practical like in pushing zombies or stomping on heads. Then i'd imagine it'd be a bit easier to move and aim compared to RE2.
You definitely want that balance to bring tension to playing as Jill, without making it seem she's just a weakling despite being a decorated STARS member at that point.

This sounds like a pretty conservative estimation of what a more "action" oriented title would look like. In terms of being one such title, I'm sure most people would at least expect RE2, but with a more capable Jill, more enemies, and more firepower to deal with them proportionally - while still balanced in a way that the original (Heavy/Hard) was that doesn't encourage you to go from room to room shooting everything that moves. The original did a great job of creating an "escape" scenario for a more capable Jill where she is somewhat more capable of dealing with the threats at hand, but the city is absolutely crawling with them, forcing her to part the sea of the undead and make a break for it. All while being chased by something to reinforce it as a struggle.

It's difficult to know what people are talking about in terms of a more "action" oriented RE3, in a series where certain titles had enemies drop ammo.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank God it's about to surpass 6. I honestly think the "weak" sales at first were people burned from 6, looks like word of mouth is bringing it back up.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Any talk that in this thread that "RE7 was not a success" for Capcom is pure fiction.

Capcom's only miscalculation regarding their expectations was indeed how much they would sell initially. Capcom, not having rebooted a series in a long time, didn't realize that it would take time for users to become adjusted to the new style, even for a brand as powerful as RE. They're now rewarded with one of their most consistently performing games on a quarterly basis. That it's currently budget priced is irrelevant - Capcom profited on day one, and Nintendo aside, games almost never stay full price for more than 6-9 months. RE7 is just behaving the way the RE catalog does post-release, except with better consistency and performance.

RE7 is probably going to outsell RE5 and RE6 on last gen consoles within a year. That's a tremendous achievement.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any talk that in this thread that "RE7 was not a success" for Capcom is pure fiction.

Capcom's only miscalculation regarding their expectations was indeed how much they would sell initially. Capcom, not having rebooted a series in a long time, didn't realize that it would take time for users to become adjusted to the new style, even for a brand as powerful as RE. They're now rewarded with one of their most consistently performing games on a quarterly basis. That it's currently budget priced is irrelevant - Capcom profited on day one, and Nintendo aside, games almost never stay full price for more than 6-9 months. RE7 is just behaving the way the RE catalog does post-release, except with better consistency and performance.

RE7 is probably going to outsell RE5 and RE6 on last gen consoles within a year. That's a tremendous achievement.

It is indeed. What's even more impressive is how they took such a creative risk with it being in first person and in VR and it paid off big-time.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Resident Evil 7 is a shitty game. I actually can't believe it has a fan base seeing as how it stripped away all of RE's personality in favor of crappy VR gimmicks and generic slasher film tropes. Seriously fuck that game.

I'm so glad RE2 got made to remind people just how great the series is when its characters take front and center.
How dare lots of people not agree with my opinion...some of these posts are crazy.