• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 5, 2019
My dislike for the game aside, I do wonder why they they changed direction with 7 after the apparent commercial success of this game.

I may remember that 6 had an absurd budget/development team size, so I wonder if it's a cost/benefit analysis situation that we normally can't see with just a raw # of copies sold figure.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My dislike for the game aside, I do wonder why they they changed direction with 7 after the apparent commercial success of this game.

I may remember that 6 had an absurd budget/development team size, so I wonder if it's a cost/benefit analysis situation that we normally can't see with just a raw # of copies sold figure.

It wasn't a commercial success at first & RE7 has been consistently selling faster. And RE2 Remake even faster than RE7.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Over the years, Capcom's charts have indicated that the entire recent RE catalog sells a good number of copies a year, including the Revelations games and the remasters of RE and RE0. I would guess some of these sales come from newcomers to RE who end up buying multiple games -- RE6 is a unique and distinct part of the series that I think if one were to jump in starting with either RE or RE4, you might as well play RE6, as well, before you get to RE7 and onward.

Basically, there's a good chance RE6 still sells on the back of people who buy multiple RE games at once.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one not upset or happy at this news, just confused. My problem with RE6 isn't that its an action game, but that it is a poorly made action game.

I feel like I'm missing something when people say its fun. Fighting loads of tanky enemies, spraying machine gun fire that I can't realistically avoid with the cumbersome dodge and cover mechanics, causing me to get constantly knocked on my ass, is the opposite of fun.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 isn't selling faster than RE6 aligned?
What? It's outpacing RE6, yes.

Also, if we cared about sales targets, then this topic wouldn't exist at all.

Edit: Oh wait, RE6 launched in November, huh? I'm posting like trash today. By October 2013, RE6 sold 5.2, so you're right.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Played it co-op with my brother when it first came out, honestly, haven't really thought about it since lol. It was that kind of game, sort of oh yea I played that... then it exited my brain. And this is coming from huge RE fans!

I remember feeling like it was 3 sorta average games mixed into one where they should have just focused on one thing and made that really good.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, but Capcom doesn't want to have to sell the next Resident Evil at a heavy discount a few weeks after if launches... So that demand is a little more questionable than it may initially appear.

The reason they always talk about units sold, and not the profit it earned, is pretty obvious.

One aspect to consider is RE6 seems to hold the most consistent player base despite being 7 years old. It's either the most played RE title or second most played on steam, even when Survival horror fare is coming like RE7 and RE2.

We already know "action" can be good for the series. We have RE4 after all. It's more a matter of not making a Frankenstein of a game than just saying no to action across the board.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One aspect to consider is RE6 seems to hold the most consistent player base despite being 7 years old. It's either the most played RE title or second most played on steam, even when Survival horror fare is coming like RE7 and RE2.

We already know "action" can be good for the series. We have RE4 after all. It's more a matter of not making a Frankenstein of a game than just saying no to action across the board.
I wouldn't mind them spinning out action RE into its own sub-franchise, as long as they're actually good action games

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with all of this. I also think that Action RE should have its own series so that those fans aren't left out in the cold. Possibly split the timeline and continue off of Resident Evil 6. Embrace the insanity. That way everyone would be happy.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Guys, the only reason RE6 is selling is "Mercenaries".

Because you know deep in your hearts the campaign and the rest of the game is crap.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017

Even though it sold well, the reception was divisive, and some of its critics were particularly, unusually harsh. Also, Capcom took action RE to its absolute limit with RE6, given how much crazy, over-the-top stuff happens in it compared to even 4 and 5. There really was no way to go forward without abandoning the series' distinguishing hallmarks or becoming a new series entirely à la Devil May Cry. I remember thinking after RE6 that a return to the classic mood of RE (if not the classic gameplay style- although we got that too) was going to happen quickly.

the only reason RE6 is selling is "Mercenaries".

Because you know deep in your hearts the campaign and the rest of the game is crap.

Other way round. The campaign is amazing, Mercs is overrated.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think doing that type of bloated action-packed amalgamation again would've likely cost even more this gen (plus longer development needing as much manpower as possible), whereas they could pull off both the 7 shift and RE2 in a similar time frame with separate teams.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I really wanted to like re 6, it had glimpses of what could have been an amazing game marred by glitches, questionable design decisions, AWFUL pacing and just a general lack of focus, the end result was just a hot steaming mess.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
It shelved the series for like four years. There are reasons to begrudge it.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 was released in 2015, so no.
Yes, part of the reason RE7 took so long to develop was the criticism RE6 got from both press and fans, but also because Capcom wanted to try something new and they were developing a brand new engine.

I seriously think a lot of people just ironically like it, just to be edgy and different

Nah, the game is simply fun to play, if you bother to fight against its weaknesses and push through some of the lowest of lows parts. Plus Mercenaries are always amazing.

Guys, the only reason RE6 is selling is "Mercenaries".

No, campaign is also fun. It has a lot of bad chapters / sub-chapters (all the vehicles sections, sneaking sections and most boss fights), but otherwise - thanks to the amazing combat - the campaign is still fun to play. Steam shows that I spent about 230 hours in the game and probably half of that is in the campaign. I don't regret it ;)

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Glad the game sold well, it's easily one of my favorite RE games, it's up there with RE3 as my favorites.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I enjoyed the cheese fest but I'm thankful that ship has sailed. I hoped the heavy action titles were taken as lessons for RE7 and RE2R. I wouldn't say no to a spin off non numbered series with the action gameplay tho.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Here are the total sales of RE4 and RE5 for comparison.

Resident Evil 4 [PS2] 2.3 + Resident Evil 4 Wii edition [Wii, DL] 2.0 + Resident Evil 4 [GC] 1.6 + Resident Evil 4 [PS4/Xbox One/DL] 1.4 = 7.3 million copies
Resident Evil 5 [PS3/Xbox 360/DL] 7.5 + Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PS3/Xbox 360/DL] 2.3 + Resident Evil 5 [PS4/Xbox One/DL] 1.4 = 11.2 million copies

I seriously think a lot of people just ironically like it, just to be edgy and different
RE6 is the second best selling game in the series @ 9 million copies and you're seriously thinking that?

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I wish that games mechanics were in a better game. I'm already fairly bored of Mercenaries in that game, there just aren't enough cool enemies to fight against that really make you flex shit.

And replaying the campaign sucks, it's so garbage.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Resident Evil 4 [PS2] 2.3 + Resident Evil 4 Wii edition [Wii, DL] 2.0 + Resident Evil 4 [GC] 1.6 + Resident Evil 4 [PS4/Xbox One/DL] 1.4 = 7.3 million copies
Resident Evil 5 [PS3/Xbox 360/DL] 7.5 + Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PS3/Xbox 360/DL] 2.3 + Resident Evil 5 [PS4/Xbox One/DL] 1.4 = 11.2 million copies

RE6 is the second best selling game in the series @ 9 million copies and you're seriously thinking that?
Gotta love how RE4 on PS2 and Wii sold more than the console it came first on that was supposed to be exclusive: the GC.

1.6m RE4 GC is rather low isn't it?

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Tell me how The Room is a success after all these years.
I've heard that it's a horrible movie with a cult following, but that's all I know.

Anyway, my point was that it's absurd to suggest that people are liking RE6 "just to be edgy and different", especially when you look at its sales numbers.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017

Pure Honesty , No , RE6 gameplay aligns with a lot of my tastes , RE6 is an Okay at best shooting game and mediocre at best RE title and Good Co-Op game , but for me it is an Extremely enjoyable and fun OTS Brawling title , which is a genre I like a lot and we dont see a lot of those type of games nowadays

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pure Honesty , No , RE6 gameplay aligns with a lot of my tastes , RE6 is an Okay at best shooting game and mediocre at best RE title and Good Co-Op game , but for me it is an Extremely enjoyable and fun OTS Brawling title , which is a genre I like a lot and we dont see a lot of those type of games nowadays

I have to second this. The game is a great coop and fun experience to enjoy, especially the mercenaries mini game provided to compliment its mechanics. For good or worst Resident Evil 6 is a unique game on its own merits, and if nothing else it's a game worth playing to experience all of this said combined alone within its respected series.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only got round to playing this a few months ago (after going through the series again after RE2R) and i ended up liking it a lot more then i was expecting.

I had always turned my nose up at 4 because of its move towards action but after playing through both 4 and 6 for the first time i realised how similar they actually are which is surprising considering how much people love 4 and hate 6.

I also learned that 6 was a better game then 4.

6 handled better, had more varied locations, various story path aspects was interesting, graphics was obviously better.

Best for me would probably still be either RE2R or maybe RE7 (followed by RE:Remake) but 6 is a great game on its own.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Loved that amazing Re6 trailer. Played through the whole thing in chronological order with my buddy taking turns and it was amazing. Still play it every once and a while. Now I gotta play it again. Deserves the sales.

Started out today ready to play Re4 on Switch but found out it has not motion controls, now this thread has me wanting to play Re6, which then reminds me I'm kinda sad I haven't played through Re7 yet since I'm such a wuss.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

Keep in mind that the RE4 sales don't include neither of the PC versions (according to Steamspy, the PC Ultimate HD sold between 500 000 and 1 mln units on Steam) and the PS3/X360 version.

Gotta love how RE4 on PS2 and Wii sold more than the console it came first on that was supposed to be exclusive: the GC.

1.6m RE4 GC is rather low isn't it?

You can thank Capcom for that. IIRC they announced the PS2 version two months before GC verson was even released - so much for "exclusivity". And then few months later they announced that the PS2 version will include an additional Ada's scenario.