• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Haven't found much information about this and I'm going to guess that the image might've been updated sooner than it should've been. Typically we get a new list of PH titles in January from my recollection. Regardless as of this moment RE6 and RE7 are the only titles currently part of this branding. Glad to see all RE titles doing well even after the fact. Wouldn't be surprised if 4 & 5 are added as well when the actual update happens.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
The best co-op Resident Evil game, despite how naff the game actually is.

Basically, it's fun to laugh at how bonkers it is whilst playing with a mate.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
WHAT A GAME. Got this for birthday from my brother(and it was his first gift for me!) and is still easily the RE that I had most fun with because we played from beginning to end together.
Seriously, if you hate this game play it with a friend or something, it's a whole new, and amazing, experience.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Game shines in mercenaries, its a shame Capcom hasn't taken that combat and turned into something else.

Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic game and one of my favourite co-op experiences. I wish Capcom would take the gameplay and spin it off into it's own line.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Fun game with a friend, although even with the co-op banter helping to carry the worst parts, it's still too damn long.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I feel like this game would've been much better received if they had focused all their efforts on a single campaign that was only half the length of the entire game.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I tried so hard to get into this when it first came out, and then I purchased the remastered version for PS4 in 2016ish. Just couldn't do it. Absolutely hated this game. It remains to this day the only mainline RE that I have never nor ever will bear. Hats off to Capcom on selling another monster though 👍

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the "PlayStation Hits" branding.

I know that they reduce the base price to $20 but that can't be the only criteria for getting that label. I've heard before that it's for titles that have sold over a million copies, but I can't find any source for that, and RE6 has long past the 1mil mark, but it has only now given that label.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who has beaten every RE game released in the West, it took me a good four years or so to finally get through this game. Afterwards I disliked it a bit less, but it's still got buckets of problems. I'm sure Mercs is great if you manage to master the combat though.

I know that they reduce the base price to $20 but that can't be the only criteria for getting that label. I've heard before that it's for titles that have sold over a million copies, but I can't find any source for that, and RE6 has long past the 1mil mark, but it has only now given that label.

From what I remember about the program on previous consoles, it's both a sales threshold and specific curation/selection. Like, every Madden game sells over a million copies, but there's not much value or interest in re-circulating them. Based on the PS4 collection, there's likely some intention by Sony to highlight certain titles: we've got an EDF game in there, and Yakuza 0 was added just as the series was hitting its more recent resurgence.

As for RE6, I suspect this is the PS4 re-release hitting whatever sales threshold they have. The original release has sold quite a bit.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I think it's a bit pick and choose. No way Fist of the North Star sold 1 million in the us lol

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hate it and think it's a poor game but I'm glad the franchise is healthy. People are hungry for even the worst of it.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe Capcom is doing another print run?

Getting the Greatest Hits label won't apply to those copies already out on shelves, so they waited till it was a reasonable time to ship out a new batch.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember about the program on previous consoles, it's both a sales threshold and specific curation/selection. Like, every Madden game sells over a million copies, but there's not much value or interest in re-circulating them. Based on the PS4 collection, there's likely some intention by Sony to highlight certain titles: we've got an EDF game in there, and Yakuza 0 was added just as the series was hitting its more recent resurgence.

As for RE6, I suspect this is the PS4 re-release hitting whatever sales threshold they have. The original release has sold quite a bit.
I see. I wonder what the threshold is then, since some of those games aren't really big sellers.
I think it's a bit pick and choose. No way Fist of the North Star sold 1 million in the us lol
Yea, exactly lol
Maybe Capcom is doing another print run?

Getting the Greatest Hits label won't apply to those copies already out on shelves, so they waited till it was a reasonable time to ship out a new batch.
Hmmm... I was under the impression that this probably only applies to the number of digital copies sold.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I believe since the PS1 days, it was available to publishers so long as a game hit 500k. Not sure if that's changed since 500k isn't even a high metric for sales anymore.

It's only just a marketing tool that helps both the publisher and Sony. As it gives Sony a tool to use in terms of great games that sell on their platform and it gives publishers extra legs on games because Sony helps advertise them.

As for why some games don't magically turn into greatest hits. It's because it's opt in and it plummets the base price to, I believe, $20 USD/$30 CAD. Depends on whether a publisher finds value in dropping perceived price to get more copies sold.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I meant, it technically is a hit. The game sold a ton.

Quietly is definitely the way to acknowledge that outside of shareholder meetings, though.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Why they did this will be a question I ask myself everytime I boot up my PS5 once I get one...
I've ranted about this in detail ever since getting a PS5, but it seems like the issue is that, opposed to how (most) games worked on the PS4, where the icon was tied to the SKU you had (i.e. Japanese SKU = Japanese Icon, non-greatest hits SKU = non-greatest hits icon), it seems like now regardless of what version or region of a game you have, it just pulls from whatever the latest icon happens to be for the language your console is set to. This is made extra-worse for series that only have some localised games, but not others.

A very easy-to-see example of this is Yakuza. I own each game physically, in the Japanese SKU. Despite this, they display as:
Ryu Ga Gotoku Kiwami -> Yakuza Kiwami
Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin -> Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (since it never came out in English)
Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Remaster -> Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Remaster (Because the independent physical SKU of 3/4/5 doesn't exist in international markets)

On top of this, some games in the dashboard have titles display in text, and others display in fancy icons. This also breaks, as seen when I insert my copy of Shin Sangoku Musou 8 (Dynasty Warriors 9). The title is displayed as the English version regardless of what language I set my system to, as it is an image rather than text (presumably).

Similarly, games that have not yet released in English-speaking markets will sometimes display the Chinese/Asia icon, though this is pretty inconsistent:
とある魔術のバーチャロン (A Certain Magical Virtual-On) -> 魔法電腦戰機 (Magic Virtual-On)
真女神転生III REMASTER (Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD) -> 真女神轉生III REMASTER (only one character changes)

Really makes sorting your library, especially now that there are only auto-sort options, really difficult.

To bring it back to the thread topic, I own all my games physically unless they're digital-only, but every one that has the 'Playstation Hits' banner on the PSN Store displays it on my icon as well, so it doesn't seem to be a digital/physical issue either.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This is probably the worst coop game I've ever played.

The fact that even when playing with a friend I'm still bored out of my mind is saying something.

I cant belive this was the follow up to 5.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is probably the worst coop game I've ever played.

The fact that even when playing with a friend I'm still bored out of my mind is saying something.

I cant belive this was the follow up to 5.

I agree with you. The only campaign that's ok is Chris and Piers. I definitely enjoyed games like RE5 and Army of Two on the seventh gen.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This game started as the coolest game ever and ended as the worst game I ever played.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I played solo (well, I played part of the first chapter of Leon's story in co-op, but the rest solo). It is... I can't even say if it's good or bad. There's plenty of rather good stuff--I like the chainsaw bossfight and the actual combat system is really fun once you get used to it, but there's a ton of bloat and unnecessary shit that just drags in the game as well--I think literally making a duology or trilogy out of the main campaigns of the game would've worked better. You get plenty of stuff for your buck, but not all of it is good.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible co-op, like 2 people running about in a SP game, can't trade ammo, no melee combos. Awful steps back from 5.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And J just bought the 4-6 pack in the latest sale. Oh well, I am in the small camp that prefers other styles but still likes action RE, just a little less. Combat is so good, biggest complaint for me is it's the game that never ends. Every time it seems like it's about to, nope, here is another whole part.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Correct. No point trying to figure out the formula from sales numbers, they added this because it fuckin' rips.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
cd923effd086364e9c3d2fea8fdad278.gif

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I forgot this game came out on PS4 and thought they decided to reissue a PS3 game as a Greatest Hits for some reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I've ranted about this in detail ever since getting a PS5, but it seems like the issue is that, opposed to how (most) games worked on the PS4, where the icon was tied to the SKU you had (i.e. Japanese SKU = Japanese Icon, non-greatest hits SKU = non-greatest hits icon), it seems like now regardless of what version or region of a game you have, it just pulls from whatever the latest icon happens to be for the language your console is set to. This is made extra-worse for series that only have some localised games, but not others.

A very easy-to-see example of this is Yakuza. I own each game physically, in the Japanese SKU. Despite this, they display as:
Ryu Ga Gotoku Kiwami -> Yakuza Kiwami
Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin -> Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (since it never came out in English)
Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Remaster -> Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Remaster (Because the independent physical SKU of 3/4/5 doesn't exist in international markets)

On top of this, some games in the dashboard have titles display in text, and others display in fancy icons. This also breaks, as seen when I insert my copy of Shin Sangoku Musou 8 (Dynasty Warriors 9). The title is displayed as the English version regardless of what language I set my system to, as it is an image rather than text (presumably).

Similarly, games that have not yet released in English-speaking markets will sometimes display the Chinese/Asia icon, though this is pretty inconsistent:
とある魔術のバーチャロン (A Certain Magical Virtual-On) -> 魔法電腦戰機 (Magic Virtual-On)
真女神転生III REMASTER (Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD) -> 真女神轉生III REMASTER (only one character changes)

Really makes sorting your library, especially now that there are only auto-sort options, really difficult.

To bring it back to the thread topic, I own all my games physically unless they're digital-only, but every one that has the 'Playstation Hits' banner on the PSN Store displays it on my icon as well, so it doesn't seem to be a digital/physical issue either.
Thanks for explaining. It really is a weird choice.

I want to wish they would fix it but I am doubtful :(

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's a hit because of sales numbers, not because of the game's quality.
Probably not even the worst game out of PlayStation hits.