• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ShinMaruku

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Note I did say the whole Jungle section was geographically not consistent and questionable, but I am not going to overly crucify them when most of these games who are made by people who know very little about Africa and won't do consulting on that area.

I will leave that to people who understand Africa and or have been there for a significant amount of time.
I don't expect that kind of information to come out of a Japanese team back during that time.

This is not like the Smash thing where Nintendo pulled off a Blizzard asspull.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
RE5 was one of those games that works because it's nice to chill with your coop buddy but not really because the game itself.

There are some great moments but it mostly just feels like a B-team effort after RE4. I just feel like action RE wasn't sustainable without the right talent to guide it. The series just tried to be more spectacle, without really understanding how to make the spectacle good.

It's like RE was in on the joke with RE4 but they kind of became the joke at some point with RE5 and RE6.

Also holy crap at that tribe section. Truly awful.

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest problem I have with RE5 aside from it being a worse game than 4, is Chris' face. He looks like he got stung by a bee, or just had a botox injection and has limited control over his facial muscles. His RE5 rendition is by far his ugliest. Even RE7 Chris looks better (despite not looking like Chris at all) At least that one looks like an actual human being.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Not really a sentiment I can agree with - RE was and still is at heart a slower-paced, exploration-driven experience built on survival horror rather than action adventure.

RE4's action focus was a breath of fresh air at the time, but the rapid series decline it preceded shows that it wasn't the best direction for the series. The return to that core philosophy of the original trilogy proved a popular choice for VII and Resident Evil 2 remake will surely cement this reality.

I think RE4-6, particularly 5 & 6, will look ever more like series anomalies as Capcom moves back towards the classic formula.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem I have with RE5 aside from it being a worse game than 4, is Chris' face. He looks like he got stung by a bee, or just had a botox injection and has limited control over his facial muscles. His RE5 rendition is by far his ugliest. Even RE7 Chris looks better (despite not looking like Chris at all) At least that one looks like an actual human being.

That was the whole purpose of his redesign, they said they needed to change his face in order to mesh with the more realistic photogrammetry graphics style.

Oct 26, 2017
That was the whole purpose of his redesign, they said they needed to change his face in order to mesh with the more realistic photogrammetry graphics style.
I know. They could've found a better likeness though. Still, RE5 remains the worst looking Chris by far. My fav. will always be the REmake one.

That being said, RE5 is still an amazing Co-op game, and I still love playing it from time to time with my brother.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Resident Evil 5 was a great coop experience but extremely boring to play on your own. Umbrella Corps should've tried to follow the same formula instead of trying to become an e-sport and failing miserably.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I love RE5. I've played it a silly amount, just the campaign probably 20ish times, I'm not a mercenaries man.

I've got the following:

PS3 Platinum
PS4 Platinum
Xbox 360 1000/1000
PC 1000/1000

Yeah, I bought the game 4 times, in my defence though paid very little for the PS3, PS4 and PC versions. Great game solo or co-op, loads of replayability, can't get enough to be honest.

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As one of the biggest RE4 fans in this forum (I mean, it's not hard, it IS the single greatest video game ever made), RE5 was not a bad follow up. And I agree with the OP that it has that signature RE cheese, but with a seemingly higher budget and a bit of a "Hollywood" treatment. The mechanics are really, really solid, some of the best in the series.

The one thing that slightly drags it down for me is that it doesn't play all that well solo. It is truly meant to be a co-op experience. The Sheva (seriously Capcom, bring her back already!) AI is awful and even in Normal difficulty she often got in my way. Which is funny because people complain about Ashley in 4, but Ashley never gets in the way. Quite literally, you can ask her to hide in a garbage can or whatever. You can't do that with Sheva, she'll go full Rambo mode in the middle of a Majini group, and use a First Aid Spray after a simple "flesh wound."

I can't imagine what it would be like to play RE5 solo in Professional difficulty. A nightmare.

But seriously, Sheva and Josh are cool characters, bring them back Capcom!

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
My ex boyfriend used to love playing this game together. I really wish they'd so more COOP games

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Another Classical RE trope that the game has in spades is the sexual tension that is always unstated but so thick you can cut it with a knife, where when Chris first gets bodied by Wesker in a past cutscene until Jill sacrifices herself to save him, getting her Japanese/French self kidnapped by Wesker and made into Cammy
Not sure what I should make out of this, but this sentence is truly hilarious and awesome.

Feb 19, 2018
It is a fun action game (like 4 and 6) but it is not a good Resident Evil game.
IMO I'd argue that RE4 still had more than enough horror in it to qualify as survival horror. It becomes particularly noticeable when you start comparing the boss encounters with RE5 (which even had TWO bossfights that were frickin' turret sequences). Even from the ressource management aspect, ammo wasn't nearly as plentiful than in RE5 and 6, and the lack of automatic weapons (the one non-postgame machine pistol in RE4 had clear drawbacks and made for a poor primary weapon) was noticeable as RE5 literally drowns you in assault rifles for those badly implemented cover shooter sequences.

RE5 did have a few horror elements in it, particularly the swamp level with the 'natives' was great from that standpoint... but it was only one level. Heck, in RE4 only the first chapter was in daylight (except maybe for the final bossfight? Not sure anymore), everything else took place in the darkness of night. On the other hand I can't remember a single level in RE5 taking place at night.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
The first one I played was Code Veronica on PS2 but I didn't get very far so I don't count that, which makes RE5 the first one I played and finished and again and again to unlock unlimited ammo and different guns. Brilliant it was. I think they gave it away on PS3 but I bought it on PS4 and again on PC.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It feels like a fan made expansion of RE4. Exact same gameplay minus any tension or atmosphere.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
It's one of my favorites games I must say, the coop is amazing!
Even though the story was all over the place sometimes, the other sections like presentation, ost, gameplay, modes, etc are great.

I can't get away from Mercenaries too lol

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a fan made expansion of RE4. Exact same gameplay minus any tension or atmosphere.

Well, yeah, that's a good way of looking at it. It basically copies RE4 mechanically, but lacks the soul, and instead of distancing itself from the previous games it fully embraces them and continues the story more directly.

It's not a bad game at all, in fact it's rather fun, but it's just not what you'd want as the follow up to a masterpiece that redefined both survival horror and action games.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I have similar feelings like with RE4 with this.
RE4 is a great action game but a shit Residetn Evil game.
RE5 may be a great coop game (never played coop) but the single player is not good thanks to the forced coop mechanic and it's an even worse Resident Evil game than 4.
I vastly prefer 4 but as I said, I barely consider them RE games. RE for me is 1-3 and 7 (have not played CV). I better not talk about 6.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Wuuuh!?

Resident Evil was about tightly knit level design that was open with puzzle solving it only became a cheesy spy flick from Resi 4 with Leon's one liners etc, even when it took out the puzzle element it had great level design that you had to "figure out" the best way to get to the other side of the level (akin to how you complete a level in a platformer). And you can be justified in saying RE4 is very un-resident evil.

Resi 5 took the arena shooter approach where you go to one open area to the next and you have to kill all the enemies everytime, it's a large reason why I saw it as a step down, also you can't dump Sheva in a bin like you could Ashley.

Resi 5 couldn't be anymore far removed from being Resident Evil (until 6 happened) and I felt it never got what made the changes Resi 4 brought to the table great it's like Capcom saw the praise the intro area of Resi 4 got and plastered the philosophy of the village in every area Resi 5.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I feel that is missing the forest for the trees. Resident always has been deep down from the start is less a horor game and more a cheesy spy movie with zombies with some shared themes such as sexual tension, Capcom taking the piss with certain references and the subversion of certain tropes in the game in particular is extra funny to me.

Hate this new shtick of people thinking their hot takes are the be all and end all and everyone else has gotten it wrong for years.

RE was a horror game in it's early iterations. We have quotes directly from Mikami constantly talking about the horror and fear aspects of the early games. No where does he say the games themes were "spy movie" or "sexual tension". Literally none of the films he used as inspiration had either of those themes, they were zombie horror films.

Your revisionist take some 20+ years later doesn't change those facts.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The main problem with Resident Evil 5 is the lack of variety in the differebt areas. I had the impression to always runing into the same places.

It's a good game, but with a lacklustre and bizarre finale.

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
Only ever played this game cooperatively and think I've played through it 30+ times now. Sheva is my gyal.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Wesker is the god damn best in this game. I love him, his voice actor and his lines so much.

"Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I can spare to play with you."

"Let me clarify something for you, Chris. I don't think of myself as a king. No, I am a god! And even kings bow to gods!"

"In less than five minutes, we will reach the optimal altitude for missile deployment. Uroboros will be released into the atmosphere, ensuring complete global saturation."

How can you not like this cheesy bullshit <3?
Don't forget missle throwing! :D

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Fun as shit, and I wish they made something like this again. It has the worst DLC I have ever played, though.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
At launch and post launch, i really enjoyed RE5. It's such a fun experience, especially co op. It has my favorite mercenaries too

OP
OP
ShinMaruku

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what I should make out of this, but this sentence is truly hilarious and awesome.
If you think it is funny and awesome then that is what is to be made out of it. That game is funny as hell.

Now I see people questioning the sexual tension part in the games as a sub plot, now in 1 it is less there but some could argue Chris and Jill is there with the 'will they won't they' silliness, however in re2 it is there in spades. Leon and Ada in re3 Carlos is trying to be suave to Jill. Then in Code Veronica Steve and Claire, in re 5 it is a bloody gold mine of it. Albert and Excella, Jill and Sheva and Chris as 'partner' and in re6, it is the crazy guy who turns his lady into Ada, Ada and Leon. Then you hav3 Wesker Jr and Birkintina where they litterall get dressed next to each other bonding over dealing with sins of their fathers. Come on now man re is full of this shit.

As for the Cammy angle there is a little known game where you played as commandos with Cammy, shit Jill is doing makes me think of that game.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
IMO I'd argue that RE4 still had more than enough horror in it to qualify as survival horror. It becomes particularly noticeable when you start comparing the boss encounters with RE5 (which even had TWO bossfights that were frickin' turret sequences). Even from the ressource management aspect, ammo wasn't nearly as plentiful than in RE5 and 6, and the lack of automatic weapons (the one non-postgame machine pistol in RE4 had clear drawbacks and made for a poor primary weapon) was noticeable as RE5 literally drowns you in assault rifles for those badly implemented cover shooter sequences.

RE5 did have a few horror elements in it, particularly the swamp level with the 'natives' was great from that standpoint... but it was only one level. Heck, in RE4 only the first chapter was in daylight (except maybe for the final bossfight? Not sure anymore), everything else took place in the darkness of night. On the other hand I can't remember a single level in RE5 taking place at night.

Well, all the action REs still have horror elements in them to some degree imho. But to me RE is about slower paced exploration and puzzles just as much as it is about horror. The old games are basically adventure games combined with metroidvania-like exploration. Action is secondary. RE4 is much faster paced and action packed which is the main reason why I don't consider it a true Resident Evil game, it is just too different. I personally don't see that much obvious difference in gameplay between 4, 5 and 6. Maybe a little but not that much. I would definitely put them all, in the same genre of "action horror".

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like all of the game's strength lies with it's co-op element, and that's what it's rightfully remembered for. There's not much else that's special about it, in my opinion. Even Jill Valentine, my favorite RE character, aside from Leon, turned into Nina Williams here, and I didn't like that.

Feb 19, 2018
Well, all the action REs still have horror elements in them to some degree imho. But to me RE is about slower paced exploration and puzzles just as much as it is about horror. The old games are basically adventure games combined with metroidvania-like exploration. Action is secondary. RE4 is much faster paced and action packed which is the main reason why I don't consider it a true Resident Evil game, it is just too different. I personally don't see that much obvious difference in gameplay between 4, 5 and 6. Maybe a little but not that much. I would definitely put them all, in the same genre of "action horror".
  • For one, RE4 actually has puzzles. Plenty of them. Sure, maybe not exactly as complex as those in RE1 in most cases, but they were there. Especially that one tile puzzle in the Ashley section took some serious thinking and time, easily equal to the puzzles in the older titles. RE5 had... one puzzle in that temple level? And I can't remember there being any in RE6 besides the usual 'grab key somewhere, open door in the area, proceed' repeated ad infinitum.
  • Also RE4 has RE0/RE1 'Castlevania-esque level design' in several parts of the game, at least to the extend of RE1/RE0, where doors were frequently used to funnel you into more linear routes rather than pure, rather open exploration, which is also present in RE4. This is most noticeable in the castle, a giant, multi-chapter area where you have to get various puzzle pieces only to open a gate to the route to the final boss fight of the castle. You first arrive at that gate soon after entering the area, but only get to pass it near the end of it (compare that e.g. to RE1 Remake with the door in the mansion leading you to the new research building (which was on disc 2 of the gamecube version of Remake, afair), it worked pretty much the same way). Another, smaller example would be the first boss fight against Krauser. Or the church in the village which you only manage to enter hours after first arriving there. RE5 and RE6 are entirely linear affairs and you never stay in one "room" for more than a few minutes. And you certainly don't return to rooms you have already visited except for some very rare exceptions.
  • About 40%-50% of the game will be spend at the castle, one giant building and it's surroundings serving as the setting, for the most part indoors - similar to the mansions in RE0 or 1, or the police station in RE2 (in those titles, it's more like 80%, of course). That absolutely isn't the case in RE5 or RE6, where one exciting (cough) new location chases the next and you rarely stay in one type of surroundings for more than one or two hours max.
  • Nighttime as a setting (and darkness in general) is essential for a horror game. RE1 takes place at night. RE0 takes place at night for the entirety of the game. RE2 and RE3 AFAIR as well. Only the first chapter (3 out of seventeen subchapters) of RE4 takes place as daylight, then switches of to nighttime. RE5 in it's ENTIRETY is set during daytime, which really undermines the horror potential.
  • Ammo was scarce in RE1/RE0, and you can run out of it in RE4 pretty easily as well if you don't play efficiently (aka, shoot head or knees, then use melee attacks or using the environment to maximize damage with your shotgun) and are adept at using the right guns at the right time. This is also shared by the spiritual successors of RE4, Dead Space 1 and Evil Within (would you call either of these games "action-horror" rather than "survival-horror", particularly the former?). While you could kill every enemy if playing efficiently, running past enemies in certain rooms was an option, especially for some of the regenerators in the last location of the game.
  • Several traditional horror staples of older RE games are present in RE4. A group of zombie dogs attacking in a dark area, barely lit area as a group? RE4 got it. RE5 doesn't. Also that dog attack is entirely optional, you can evade it entirely, like many encounters in older RESI-games.
  • No Co-Op in RE4 at all, even less than RE0 had. It's obvious how much of a departure RE5/RE6 and the first Revelations were from all of the older mainline titles (Revelations 2 was at least closer to RE0 with most partners being purely there for support), including RE4.
  • Also: No extreme gameplay loops common to action games, particularly shooters, that were ported over in RE5. Especially turret sequences. In RE4 you have to fight a giant zombie whale all alone on a tiny wooden boat with nothing but harpoons and control the boat to evade. In RE5 you fight a giant zombie whale with a second character to back you up and BOTH automated grenade launcher turrets AND gattling turrets (!)... and you don't even have to drive the boat AFAIR.

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
RE5's only issues were half of the game's level design, and the big action focus(at least RE4 tried to mix in some horror in it)

Oh right, and the biggest sin which is Sheva shooting the RPG at the end and not Jill.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
  • For one, RE4 actually has puzzles. Plenty of them. Sure, maybe not exactly as complex as those in RE1 in most cases, but they were there. Especially that one tile puzzle in the Ashley section took some serious thinking and time, easily equal to the puzzles in the older titles. RE5 had... one puzzle in that temple level? And I can't remember there being any in RE6 besides the usual 'grab key somewhere, open door in the area, proceed' repeated ad infinitum
  • About 40%-50% of the game will be spend at the castle, one giant building and it's surroundings serving as the setting, for the most part indoors - similar to the mansions in RE0 or 1, or the police station in RE2 (in those titles, it's more like 80%, of course). That absolutely isn't the case in RE5 or RE6, where one exciting (cough) new location chases the next and you rarely stay in one type of surroundings for more than one or two hours max.
  • Nighttime as a setting (and darkness in general) is essential for a horror game. RE1 takes place at night. RE0 takes place at night for the entirety of the game. RE2 and RE3 AFAIR as well. Only the first chapter (3 out of seventeen subchapters) of RE4 takes place as daylight, then switches of to nighttime. RE5 in it's ENTIRETY is set during daytime, which really undermines the horror potential.
  • Ammo was scarce in RE1/RE0, and you can run out of it in RE4 pretty easily as well if you don't play efficiently (aka, shoot head or knees, then use melee attacks or using the environment to maximize damage with your shotgun) and are adept at using the right guns at the right time. This is also shared by the spiritual successors of RE4, Dead Space 1 and Evil Within (would you call either of these games "action-horror" rather than "survival-horror", particularly the former?). While you could kill every enemy if playing efficiently, running past enemies in certain rooms was an option, especially for some of the regenerators in the last location of the game.
  • Several traditional horror staples of older RE games are present in RE4. A group of zombie dogs attacking in a dark area, barely lit area as a group? RE4 got it. RE5 doesn't. Also that dog attack is entirely optional, you can evade it entirely, like many encounters in older RESI-games.
  • No Co-Op in RE4 at all, even less than RE0 had. It's obvious how much of a departure RE5/RE6 and the first Revelations were from all of the older mainline titles (Revelations 2 was at least closer to RE0 with most partners being purely there for support), including RE4.
  • Also: No extreme gameplay loops common to action games, particularly shooters, that were ported over in RE5. Especially turret sequences. In RE4 you have to fight a giant zombie whale all alone on a tiny wooden boat with nothing but harpoons and control the boat to evade. In RE5 you fight a giant zombie whale with a second character to back you up and BOTH automated grenade launcher turrets AND gattling turrets (!)... and you don't even have to drive the boat AFAIR.

My main point is that RE4 has almost constant ACTION, which makes it much more similar to 5 and 6 than the original games (0, 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica). Again, Resident Evil (at least in my opinion) was never primarily about action but about slow paced exploration and puzzle solving in a creepy environment. RE4 is very much a third person SHOOTER. Sure, they still kept some elements from the older games like some simple puzzles and some exploration but making it an action focused game changes everything and makes it a VERY different game.

5 and 6.definitely also have some puzzles. In fact the temple area in RE5 is one giant environmental puzzle.

RE6 also has puzzles (AND a nighttime setting btw), especially in Leon's campaign

I personally don't remember ever running out of ammo in RE4 since all the enemies you shoot drop bullets but I guess maybe it is possible (seems hard though). Also, a big part of the island area (where the helicopter shows up) in RE4 is more like something out of a Rambo movie than a horror setting imho.

Last edited:

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, the game was great. It was just as campy as you'd expect and I didn't mind the more action focused play style. My wife and I beat that game so many times together now, at one point without hacking we were in the top 20 for speed runs on PS3 :p

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE5 is trash. I hated the campaign. Obviously when playing solo, but I also didn't like it much in co-op. There is too much downtime and set pieces are over before you're getting the hang of it.

No, the best parts of RE5 are the Mercs modes and the DLC chapters.

Reunion is the best Mercs mode ever, made even better with that PC mod thats also on the remasters. The DLC chapters, I liked them. Desperate Escape is what the main game should've been, balls to the walls shooting with sometimes little hope to survive. Not that dumb puzzle shit and walking sections the main game has in abundance. That never worked out well in co-op.

Lost in Nightmares I personally like a lot. I played it many times. I think I S ranked it on every difficulty. Its also fun to actually beat Wesker, which is very possible if you know what you're doing. Lost in Nightmares had the right pacing and actually had good co-op puzzles. RE5 should've been either this, or the all out action from the DE chapter.

It could very well be that RE5 is my most played RE ever, because I played a ton of Mercs and DLC chapters online.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly one of my favourite video game characters due to how awesome he is in this game.

Love him.

3951618-7781871646-37842.gif

Remember how shittily that one RE movie tried to rip off this fight ?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
A good game but completely lacking in atmosphere that all the games up until that point had, imo at least. I also really hated the way they tried to tie back into the original story, Spencer finally making an appearance was so badly done...

Either way, if it says Resident Evil on the box then it's Resident Evil, any arguments otherwise are pointless