• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Story was super dumb, but it was a blast playing coop and graphics were amazing for the time, so I guess I'm kind of OK with that.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of punched boulders.

Seriously for a game that Era has told me is a terrible RE ppl sure seem to love it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly is a good game & the boulder punching is one of those iconic moments that people will joke about 50 years from now, i still find it hypocritical people say it's not a real RE game after praising RE4, like that wasn't pew pew action either.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Had fun with it back then, Paid like £5 for it, Decent co-op fun but no way near would I play something like that in todays gaming landscape.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
These numbers add up to roughly 65m .... Yet Franchise sales are at 86m.

Just goes to show how much missing data is there. 20m is a huge gap.

Especially when you consider the older titles. I bet Capcom dont count re-releases or ports of older games. Like that RE1,2,3 number is probably just for the PS1 Launch SKU. No Dreamcast,N64,Saturn,PC or other budget SKUs counted.

Yea , there are a lot missing in the platinum list

Resident Evil 4 for example misses the following : PS3/X360 version , PC original version , PC Ultimate Edition

For RE2 case , I hoped that Capcom would reveal the true number of the original's sales due to the occasion of the Remake , but they still said that it sold 4.9M which is only the PS1 version according to platinum page

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
RE5 is a big let down after RE4,but RE4 is GOAT tier,so RE5 is still a good game,at least is not RE6.Well deserved,I expect RE2 Remake can break at least 8M mark.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
First non-mmo I've ever put in hundreds of hours into. Amazing game, the Mercs mode will forever have my heart.

Well, first after Monster Hunter anyway.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It was the first game I got a 1000/1000 achievement on Xbox. While it underdelivers as a proper RE experience, it's a fantastic action coop game.

I love it :)

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love that Capcom shows numbers. Would love for more publishers to do the same. Specially Sega.

Played it through twice with two different friends on PS3 and then i split screened it with another friend in one go on the 360. Good times. Was my first online co-op game.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I loved RE5's online co-op mode, but at the time it didn't seem like the game was THAT popular though.
So how is it possible that it beats RE4 in sales? RE4 is a classic, had critical acclaim, been ported to lots of consoles...

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be awhile before we see another RE game pass 11 million. Wonder which game will do itz

Yea , it will be a while until a game reaches 11M

RE6 could be too near to 10M if predicted Switch port sold nicely , while RE4 has a chance for the same conditions and If they counted the PS3/X360 versions and the Ultimate PC version numbers ( Which is near 1M for the latter )

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I like this game for what it is. I enjoyed playing it coop with a friend.

It's not my favorite RE by any means though, but it's good to see it achieving those numbers.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Wait, there hasn't been a single Resident Evil game that has sold less than a million copies? That's insanely impressive to me, for an M-rated franchise with such a large catalogue.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
This is kinda unrelated but I guess I'll ask since it deals with Chris Redfield and continuity from RE5 and 6. Are those CGI movies any good? I been playing my way up to 7 this last month and I'm wondering if I should bother watching them?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. Got the full 1000/1000 cheevos completely solo. Never played coop. Was really fun. Also, Sheva is bae. Bring her back.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely loved this game when it came out and have liked it far less every time I've revisited it. Lost In Nightmares and Mercenaries mode are both still incredible though. Also this is awesome:

Also also, the fact that ORC outsold anything on that list bums me the hell out. ORC wasn't terrible but it was aggressively mediocre despite having a pretty strong premise.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's not worthy of being the *first* RE game to hit the milestone, but it's worthy of hitting the milestone. I played through RE5 multiple times with different friends and had a great time every time. It looked amazing and ran incredibly well on the hardware it launched on. Played very well too, and even offered a great split screen experience. I only played through it once in single player (with razer hydra motion controls) but it held up.

It's not the best game in the franchise, but I will always put it 5 on a tier farrrrrr above 6.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
one of the best online coop experiences i ever had.
played with so many people across multiple platforms. old friends, new friends, randoms, first girlfriend... so many memories attached to this game. i love it. :')

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I played it at launch and thought it was good, but didn't really appreciate it cos it came out not too long after Gears 2 and felt too slow.

Subsequent playthroughs helped me see that it's the best action campaign of all time. Top 10 gaming experiences in co-op mode

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Resident Evil 2 Remake will surpass it. Also, hopefully Resident Evil 7 will get some ports on the next gen and that will help it climb above Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 5 is emblematic of an era of gaming that almost drove me away from the hobby.

RE5 is the worst in the series for me, even worse than RE6.

I feel the same (at least in regards to the mainline stuff). I actually enjoyed Resident Evil 6 and argue, to this day, that it is one of the first true "B movie" style games. It is obviously awful and dumb, but it is just a hilarious time. My friend and I laughed our way through the entire game. Resident Evil 5 is also dumb, but not as gleefully so. It feels like it is taking itself pretty seriously.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
So good. RE5 co-op on 360 was fantastic and I played through the co-op game multiple times on PS4 as well. It's an excellent action game.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
No doubt why Capcom pushed this Chris even on the Marvel .vs series.

I hope the next entry (if it ever happens) feature Leon Kennedy. Its time!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's the best Resident Evil. It was very fun. Had tons of fun with co-op and Mercenaries.