• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I played this at release with my gf and we had such a blast with it. In anticipation of RE2 we decided to play it again on PS NOW and while the visuals are obviously dated the mechanics and encounter design is still tight. It never gets old landing a haymaker on a zombie and watch it fly backwards in dramatic fashion, and likewise for using any weapon that packs a punch. The game really has a satisfying interplay between the player moveset and the physics reactions/ragdoll effects in the enemies. Details like being able to shoot an incoming thrown melee weapon as it arcs towards you midair just adds to the fun. Also those dogs whose heads split open with writhing tentacles like in The Thing still creeps me the hell out.

55bb551cc4195204bb5f2eabb7dc56cc.gif

Haven't gotten very far yet, we just beat Ndesu but I remember once you get to the tribal areas some of the enemy designs get pretty gnarly what with that whole bug virus (clearly I know the lore) taking over everything and mutating enemies in different ways. After we finish the main campaign I want to tackle Mercenaries mode as the thread made on here recently got me interested, sounds like a lot of fun.

Also what was up with RE5 and RE6 local coop not fully filling the screen for split screen gameplay? Only thing that kind of takes me out of it but thankfully my current TV is a tad larger then the one I played on at time of launch, that one was a real squint fest.

So what were your experiences with RE5 or its coop mode? Also we need more of these in general wrt survival horror and coop modes in them.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's legit one of the best games I've ever played in co-op, aside from the last level, where it's hard to tell what order you're supposed to do things in.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, played with entirely with my wife and it was a blast, plenty of coop-specific mechanics made it real fun.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite good. Played through it multiple times with my brother at release. I've been wanting to replay it with my wife, but just haven't gotten around to it. Should change that soon...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
RE6 is the most fun co op game of all time

There's nothing more enjoyable than partnering with a friend and laughing at how terrible the game is together

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I truly believe RE5 is in the top 5 best co-op games of all time. Just a ridiculously fun, silly and stupid ride.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes it is, and it's a shame people screamed so loudly about it and 6 so that they never made anything that fun in Co-op since. Still trying to find something that scratches the itch with friends to no avail.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it first in coop. The later levels with huge ass cockroaches is frustrating.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly if I had played it single player I probably wouldn't have liked it in the least. Co-op was marvelous.

philstorm95

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you know another amazing videogame that people love to hate just because it's coop and have tons of action just like Res 5 ? Resi 6

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As an action game RE5 was great and I also had a lot of fun with it, especially when playing it co-op with others. I think the problem starts when comparing it to other games in the series.

Jun 4, 2018
RE5 co-op is the best game in the series... (RE5 solo, not so much.) Unforgettable experience. Play through with friends once or twice a year. Never gets old.

JaydensApples

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As a huge fan of the resident evil series, I hyped the shit outta this game back in 2009, played the demo released on Xbox live countless times online. Got the collectors edition day one, (well my dad got it for me since I was only 9) and I played the game into oblivion. Due to how young I was I considered it the best resident evil game ever besides maybe Outbreak file 2.

As I've grown over the years my opinion on the game as a resident evil title has definitely lowered. The pacing of the story was off, the game wasn't scary in the slightest (even as a 9 year old I wasn't scared by it at all) and it lost a lot of the classic re charm that even 4 had. But as a co-op action game...pftttt. I consider it probably the best cooperative experience you can have in a video game, besting even left 4 dead and portal. This game was also the reason I wanted and got an Xbox 360. Lel sorry halo 3.

But yeah, if you haven't haven't played Resident evil 5 you most definitely should. It's super cheap on Xbox one and PS4, and probably even cheaper on the 360, ps3 and pc. Grab a friend and give it a shot!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah it is. I love the flashy quick time events where you have to save each other or someone dies horribly. Many games are better in co-op, but RE5 improves by a huge factor.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best Co-op and Resident Evil game out there.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that your weapons can be upgraded and carried over to subsequent playthroughs makes RE5 one of the most replayable games in the franchise.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The RE engine makes me nervous with bringing back characters. Chris is unrecognizable and Claire kind of looks different every other angle. Wonder how Sheva would fare.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It's borderline bad solo, but absolutely amazing with two players. I played through this with an old girlfriend back when it was released, and it counts as one of my better gaming memories as an adult.

Last edited:

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
YES

I like this RE5 praise trend. One of the best co-op games ever if not the best!

Even though i tremendously enjoyed RE7 in VR and RE2 is shaping up nicely, still hope that Capcom will get back to the co-op formula soon.

Oct 25, 2017
It truly is one the best coop games I have ever played. I have been replaying RE5 with many friends and it has always been a blast. As a Resident Evil game it's pretty much a failure but the over-the-top action and stupid dialogues make it good stupid fun. It's such a shame that CAPCOM removed the splitscreen mode entirely from the PC version (yeah, I know there's rollback but pointless without a proper save file).

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I played through it about 6 times with various friends, magnificent game. Was crushed when 6 came out and hand iffy-at-best co-op. I know people sing 6's praises for moving the combat mechanics forward but I really just wanted more of 5 :(

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Great game, especially with the co-op like you said OP. I know some people hate it but in a way I don't think there is a more "Resident Evil" game, in terms of how ridiculous the series can get.

Sure RE4 is tongue in cheek with its villains and one liners, but this game takes everything seriously and it's so dumb I love it.

Lekyl

Nov 15, 2017
Couldn't really get into RE5 but I had enormous fun playing RE6 with a friend. I would pay good money for another such experience.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 5 is only recommended if you intend to play it co-op it's fun but the single player is broken.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Actually it was one of my most played game from last gen. Played co-op to death with my ex at the time.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm sad I missed it. I got it when it came out, heard from a cousin that he was getting it and would play it with me, then was later told he and my other cousin had done the campaign.

I need to make a point of playing this.

Nov 21, 2017
It and Portal 2 are my favorite co-op games. So much fun.

Was still very disappointed by the game as a single-player experience my first time through, however.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Even the worst, buggiest games can be fun when playing co-op. I've found that, so long as the players are progressing, they will be inherently more entertained to a significant degree than playing alone.

Oct 28, 2017
It is. It's a fantastic co-op game one of the greatest of all time. It's just that the co-op focus ruined the single player design.