• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should Capcom do?

• a simple port

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • a remaster

Votes: 198 36.5%
  • a remake

Votes: 295 54.4%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
People forget that RE4 is 14 years old. By 2026 it'll be just as old as RE2 when it got its remake released.

So I think a remake will definitely happen. Though it won't be until RE3 and CVX remakes happen. That way they can by themselves more time.

Now if we're talking the RE4 port on PS5 and such. I could see them taking the HD mod graphics and making those standard.

RE4 as-is on PS5 for $20 at 4K with nothing new added isn't exactly a seller. The game is showing its age now.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are a lot of people unaware of the HD project that gets updates on this very forum? It's had more time and care put into it than any remaster Capcom would ever deliver (at least if their rushed out "ultimate HD edition" is anything to go by).
http://www.re4hd.com/

A full remake in the new engine would look nice and flashy but I feel like it would inevitably diminish the gameplay. Standing still to shoot while a chainsaw man is coming at you is a part of the game.
You cant remake perfection.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably just keep the PC version installed forever. I'll buy the Switch version and maybe any new portable versions that show up thereafter, but that's probably it forme as far as re-buying the original version of RE4. In future ports they should just continue to spruce up the textures and get loser to the original GameCube color balance.

I understand it's technically outdated by today's standards, but I'm still wary of doing anything to the core gameplay or controls. RE2 had aged WAY more than RE4, and the RE2 remake gameplay looks fairly similar to RE4, similar enough that that it'll feel jarring to completely redesign the whole game just to have a slightly updated control scheme. RE4 is a very delicately-balanced game. The best thing about it today is how good the encounter design is, and that was designed around the controls of the time. If you change the controls you gotta change enemy behavior, level design, everything really. Capcom hasn't been able to make a third person shooter quite as good since.

The most I'd ever want them to do really, would be an SOTC/Halo Anniversary-style remake where it's just a totally new coat of paint on top of the same core gameplay, but even that would be possibly as controversial as PS4 SOTC's changes to the original's art style.

Now if we're talking the RE4 port on PS5 and such. I could see them taking the HD mod graphics and making those standard.

RE4 as-is on PS5 for $20 at 4K with nothing new added isn't exactly a seller. The game is showing its age now.

The Xbox version'll probably just be playable on the next Xbox.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
REmake4.

Hoping that after REmake2, Capcom remakes RE: Code Veronica as I see it as the true sequel and successor to RE 2 and then eventually remake RE 4. Don't give two shits about RE 3 to be perfectly honest.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Remake, control are outdated and not funny anymore.

Story was always garbage and need to be modernized like Resident Evil 2.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Story was always garbage and need to be modernized like Resident Evil 2.

Tonally RE4 was always took itself a lot less seriously than perhaps any other RE game. You take the camp away, you got nothing left. I feel like a modernized version would be at least equally campy, and with new graphics it would be tonally closer to DMCV.

RE2 at least was sorta in-line with 90's horror/suspense movies.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Just use the insane high rez texture mods that are on PC from those modders. Game holds up and looks INSANE with those textures. Give them some money and port it over.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
If they make a remake with modern 3rd person controls I might be able to finally play it pass the intro.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the logical step after remaking RE3 is remaking... Code Veronica. After that, they can remake RE4.
Just use the insane high rez texture mods that are on PC from those modders. Game holds up and looks INSANE with those textures. Give them some money and port it over.
It looks great, but nowhere near as good as a modern game. This isn't to rob that mod of credit, though, just to point out that there are more to graphics than just the textures. Still would be cool to involve those guys in efforts to remake the game.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I already bought it twice: on PS2 to have the collector's edition, and on 360 just to have it digitally. I'd only buy it a third time if its a full remake with modern-day graphics, audio, and MINOR tweaks to the gameplay (ex. I think being able to move while shooting would work).

Nov 1, 2017
Ask this question after REmake 2 comes out. Heck, ask this question after REmake 3 comes out.

In honesty though, if it's legally possible: Grab the guy (team?) behind the HD Mod for RE4 PC to release a console version of said mod, and we're in baby.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
How do you improve perfection? They should just do a high quality remaster and maybe some bonus content, but no remake. That's crazy talk

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with those saying the game still hold up and if they do touch it only do a Sotc style graphical touch up not that I feel it even needs that.

Considering where current Capcom seems to be on the development/managerial decisions side, the fact that 7 showed you could make a new school RE that was survival horror and not just an action title, and the way Remake 2 is shaping up and looking so far I would rather they split their efforts between making a new game in the franchise now that it's back in a better direction, and remaking the two that actually need it, which would be 3 and CVX, especially CVX. Than you would have fully updated and modernized RE of the old school, 4 is still fine and want to see what's next. And as much as I love 5 it's a really fun action game but it's fine and works as intended, and 6 just needs to disappear into obscurity, same with 0.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
A remake would only fuck it up, not improve it.

People who already dislike RE4 will always find a reason to dislike it, fuck'em. Why even bother making a game for those people?
From what I've seen those people don't like RE6 anyways, which also has ''shooting and moving'' gameplay that they asked for.
Seriously just admit you don't like RE4 and move on.

No amount of modernizing can make you love a game that you never liked in the first place.

You don't just change the gameplay as if it's some PC mod, the game was designed and balanced around its gameplay, everything was build from the ground up and perfectly tuned like the way it is. You don't just ''add to it''.
Some half ass remake effort from some young ass designers who probably haven't even played the original game isn't gonna match the same quality Mikami and his team did years ago, it's just not the same shit.

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i say remastered or a remake with similar controls. i hope capcom skips cv honestly. I really dont think that game is worth the effort of saving, with everything that would need to be done.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Why hasn't anyone done of those Unreal 4 versions that butcher Nintendo games? Surely Era deserve to be subjected to an Unreal 4 version of Resident Evil 4?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait. Do people hate Zero? I know it's not the best, but I quite enjoyed it when I played it back in the day. I'd take 0 over CV (which I also enjoyed, though I never finished the last couple of hours).
I don't know if Hate is the right word but it's definitely seems to be considered the least of the old school games. I was never a huge fan. And yeah CVX does have a lot of issues but I would love to see it reimagined and fixed up, especially since while it can be a chore to play it's actualy one of my favorites from a story and lore perspective other than maybe a story thread I am not completely comfy with.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty perfect. No need to fuck with it unless you are adding more to it. Like new scenarios. They had Assignment Ada. Let's get in missions for Krauser, Hunk and Wesker.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
People think a remake is just new engine, new cutscene plus some gameplay improvement and BOOM, 200% BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!
What a laughable garbage juvenile idea. It's almost like they don't know shit about game design.

Imagine replacing Mona Lisa with an ultra realistic CGI image and called it a remake.

''Damn look at that, way better than the original. Definitely more like a real person.''
''Hell yeah!''
''Absolutely, people who said the original is better must be trolling lol''

That's gamers for you. Shallow as a fucking puddle. Funny because they keep calling games art as if they know it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with a remake is that Capcom today hasn't proved it can make a new third person shooter as good as RE4. It seems like they can make good survival horror games again, but not straight-up shooters on the same level.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
LBxuvRC.jpg

Obvious answer is they should stop and cancel all existing ports.

pic is from twitter, can't remember who posted it sorry!

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Capcom should just buy that HD texture mod that has been worked on for years and release it as an official remaster when it's done.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remake on the RE7 engine or whatever they have next gen. In the vein of RE2 remake.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And that's when you start asking too much of people who probably don't have the vision Mikami has. The core mechanics is why the encounter design is so perfect. You start running and gunning and it starts to become every other game. Can a game be done as masterfully as RE4 with running and gunning, yes, has it ever been done, nope. Do I trust some new team at capcom to do it, not exactly.

I don't even trust if Mikami take the helm again, RE4 was his peak and none of his game match that since.
But to be fair, I don't think Capcom see the need to remake RE4, despite the game being older than 15 years already, it still feel relatively new compare to the old school RE. Any director who dare to touch this game would be very very confident.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
The only thing RE4 needs is a weapon switching system. Having to go into the inventory just to switch between 2 weapons gets really annoying fast, other than that the game is perfect.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'd also kind of like to have the option of using rifles with regular aiming, instead of scoped being the only option.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the absurd amount of ports and remasters the game got, and realistically, it won't look any better than it already looks on future generations, I'd like a remake, just to see how they would approach it. I mean, the original won't go anywhere, so why not?

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remake it.

I've play it until 100% trophy & port it over & over again to other systems without something new are boring.

Make it option-able improvements; so could choose either original game or new modes.

360 degree camera, aiming while shooting, customizable button layouts, instant weapon select via d-pad, make Ada Wong, Krauser, etc playable in single player, new costumes, anything.

Just do something new for it. : /

I agree with everything you said, but the last part especially. If they're gonna port it, again and again, add something new to it. I have this game for the GameCube, the Wii, the ps4 and PC....i really love this game but I'm also tired of it.