• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should Capcom do?

• a simple port

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • a remaster

Votes: 198 36.5%
  • a remake

Votes: 295 54.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I say leave it as it is. Perfection should not be messed with. I don't even use the new textures that come with the UHD version.

Nycteris

Jun 19, 2018
They should remake it. It would be fantastic. We all can agree that making a remaster would be also a good idea. Nevertheless, they are going to port it.

Less effort, more money.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I say leave it as it is. Perfection should not be messed with. I don't even use the new textures that come with the UHD version.
thats fine

the official effort was horrible and incomplete

you need RE4HD in your life

re4hdproject.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say it's already been remastered since it plays in 1080p and 60fps on PS4. A port would be like Dark Cloud on PS4.

I wouldn't mind a remake on PS5 as long as the remaster is also available.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I keep seeing everyone say Capcom should just buy Albert and Cris's work on the HD Project and use that, but has there ever been any kind of precedent for that sort of thing set by any developer or publisher, let alone Capcom specifically? Seems extremely unlikely they'd ever do something like that, unfortunately.

What's more likely is them doing their own remaster effort, one inferior to the HD Project in every way... fundamentally altering the game's aesthetic, doing a generally shoddy, cash grab job, as opposed to respecting the game's legacy and treating the project with reverence. Let's face it, the HD Project guys set the bar pretty high, just take a gander at the pictures posted above. I'd be willing to bet that once this project reaches completion, it will remain the definitive way to experience the original RE4 with modern visuals for years to come.

Last edited:

H4zeVentura

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2018
I would be so down for a Remake. There are already plenty ways to Play it smooth today.
(Just finished RE4 on Ps4 this summer and it was as great as always)

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting, I picked it up again recently with the HD texture mod and a FOV mod and was pretty amazing, the encounter design especially in this game is great. I can't say I find the gameplay to be janky, although I'm generally an old schoolish gamer and RE2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
For the first time vs "again" if you're already used to how it controls and know what you're getting into, then you won't have problems, if you come in with preconceived knowledge of how a TPS should play, then you could have a bad time.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Are you talking about the recent PS4 version of Shadow of the Colossus? That's a remake.
PS4 SotC was a remake, PS3 SotC was a remaster

Yeah but depending on how you define this stuff I can see how this can be confusing. To me, remakes are something built from the ground up with a new/different game engine, new assets and new everything. Remasters use the original game running off of the original engine and code, running at a higher resolution, that may or may not have cleaned up assets. These definitions generally hold up but there's been a few releases that have strayed from this. SOTC is a weird one because it's running off of the same engine and code as the original but the assets were completely remade and all of the models in the game were touched up as well. I can't think of another remake that has taken this approach. Shuhei Yoshida has referred to it as a remake due to all the assests being remade so I kind go with it being a remake but my point is that I don't think it falls under the traditional definitions of a remake.

With that in mind, I think taking the SOTC approach would make the most sense with RE4 and then find a way to implement optional non-tank controls for the haters out there

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the game would need is a graphical overhaul. Everything else is perfect as is.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but depending on how you define this stuff I can see how this can be confusing. To me, remakes are something built from the ground up with a new/different game engine, new assets and new everything. Remasters use the original game running off of the original engine and code, running at a higher resolution, that may or may not have cleaned up assets. These definitions generally hold up but there's been a few releases that have strayed from this. SOTC is a weird one because it's running off of the same engine and code as the original but the assets were completely remade and all of the models in the game were touched up as well. I can't think of another remake that has taken this approach. Shuhei Yoshida has referred to it as a remake due to all the assests being remade so I kind go with it being a remake but my point is that I don't think it falls under the traditional definitions of a remake.

With that in mind, I think taking the SOTC approach would make the most sense with RE4 and then find a way to implement optional non-tank controls for the haters out there
Very well-put, couldn't have said it better myself. The terms "remake" and "remaster" have begun to intersect and overlap in odd ways, and I found it strange when people kept insisting SotC 2018 was a remake. As you said, it consists of the original code, engine, physics, world design, gameplay, etc. Sure, there are some new features and QoL updates, but the game is 95% just a visual overhaul, and to me, that does not warrant usage of the term "remake" (regardless of how they opted to market it).

That said, it was the best damn remaster I've ever played. Bluepoint did a phenomenal job. That's how you honor a critically acclaimed, highly regarded classic, while also bringing it to a new audience in the process.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theyll probably faithfully remake/remaster it like shadow of the colossus or the crash and spyro games.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in RE4 at this point without the HD mod.
It literally improves every facet of the games graphics from the ground up.
It's so good it almost impossible to go back to the original.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Halo 1 & 2 Anniversary took those approaches.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Remake would be the right thing, especially considering how well Capcom has done by those in the franchise so far and how many times we've already seen straight ports of 4.

I would also like them to continue porting straight-up RE4 alongside a remake, though.

Edit: Speaking of, we getting 4 on Switch any time or what? Now I got my Gamecube controller hooked up to the thing anyways.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for a remake but I think it would come off as less impressive than RE2 remake since RE4 is basically closer to modern RE than the classics

But yeah given how awesome RE2 looks I would just say keep doing what you are doing Capcom

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Remake for sure just like RE2 is getting

They don't need to change nearly as much since it's already over the shoulder, but would be great to get some updates

RE1/2/3/CVX/4 I hope all get the remake treatment

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
A remake will change too much of RE4's identity. I'm not down with that.

Just remaster by updating the source code to allow more new effects and polygons to bring those things in and pay the RE4HD dudes to implement the hard work they did retexturing the game (among other enhancements).

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
An RE4 remake sounds really boring.

It's an action game. A really good one, but there's less rich ground there to "remake" into something really new and exciting.

For one it would probably still just be an OTS shooter, but with better aiming and movement options.

If they must remake the old games then hopefully they stop at 3 or CV.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I feel like RE1 is the only one they should remake. I'd play another RE1 with REVII FPS/VR control options. It's the most interesting scenario with the greatest sense of place and best enemies.

Rick Sanchez

Oct 27, 2017
this
3. Remaking the game from the ground-up. This means completely new graphics, and retooled gameplay. The gameplay alterations can vary in depth; Capcom could simply add quality-of-life stuff, keeping the core gameplay the same, or they could throw out the kitchen sink and tackle the project RE2-style.

Personally, I am way more interested in option 3. What I am picturing is taking the gameplay of Resident Evil 2 Remake as a base, and adding it some RE4 DNA. This means keeping the modern movement of RE2-R (no tank controls, you can move-and-shoot), and reworking the level design and enemy behavior of RE4 to accomodate for it. RE4-R has to stay a horror-themed action game; more action than RE2-R. Enemies still carry weapons, and Leon still suplexes fools. But we're giving it a modern coat of paint.

I know that RE4 doesn't need what I'm describing; the game is still fantastic to play almost 15 years later. It's what I need to replay it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like that. Think about how many times you have played RE4. On how many different systems. If Capcom rereleased RE4 on the PS5, with the game running in native 4k at 60fps: would you really be satisfied with that? I wouldn't. I've played that game to death.

Considering the show of talent that Resident Evil 2 Remake is demonstrating, I'm sure that if the same creative team decided to take on the project of remaking RE4 by making it more modern while making sure its DNA is kept intact, I am already convinced that they would do the game justice. I have full faith in whatever concept the team behind RE2-R wants to realize.

and this
remake Dino Crisis you fools

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eeeh, the PS4 ver is already pretty much perfect in my opinion, so I don't really see the need for anything but a port.
I especially don't see the need for a remake, I'm not sure I trust anybody but Mikami to remake Mikami's game. SotC remake is a good illustration that things can become a bit... weird when a game created by someone who possesses a singular artistic vision is recreated by random people. That's why I'm still a bit hesitant about REmake2 : I'll play it of course, but I'm not sure how it will stack up against Kamiya's game. We'll see how it goes but right now I don't know if I trust Capcom with remaking RE4.

Oct 27, 2017
Both.
Resident Evil 4 remake, includes Resident Evil 4 classic.

Classic is the game we know with the HD textures from HDproject.
But I'd be really interested to see what the folks at Capcom could do with RE4 if given the chance. Change the controls, game structure. Do what you want. Just make sure the classic version is available for people to keep playing.

The classic versions of these games should not be forgotten.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've beaten this game a dozen times and the original is easily available, so the remake route seems most appropriate at this point.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
All of this 'gameplay is flawless' business I keep seeing in this thread, but RE4 certainly has room for improvement by axing/changing those shitty, outdated QTE moments and maybe even the Ashley babysitting stuff.

REmake it.
RE4 purists still have damn near infinite opportunities and avenues to play the original.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of this 'gameplay is flawless' business I keep seeing in this thread, but RE4 certainly has room for improvement by axing/changing those shitty, outdated QTE moments and maybe even the Ashley babysitting stuff.

REmake it.
RE4 purists still have damn near infinite opportunities and avenues to play the original.

In my case it's less that I think the original is perfect and more that I think it's absurd to constantly expect big revisits to a given game until the end of time.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

REmake it.
RE4 is like the one game where I think the QTEs are compelling and fun. I love running from boulders and handspring dodging Verdugo's attacks, not to mention seeing cutscene deaths play out when you fail one. Morbid, but very cool that they had fail states in cutscenes that way to keep you on your toes and shock you a bit.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
It holds up beautifully so there's no need for a remake. I played the Xbox One HD release recently and it's still amazing. Just remaster the graphics and leave the core game as it is

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Remaster with HD Project Textures. Fantastic work.

I don't care if they remove saving Ashley chapters, though. Sorry.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with buying it as is but with improved textures.

What I want is a Shadow of The Colossus style remake. Keep gameplay and artstyle/atomsphere and everything the same but with better graphics and a jacket option.

Feb 19, 2018
A remake? You don't fiddle with perfection.
Rehaul the graphics completely while staying faithful, leave gameplay and everything else exactly as it is. Bluepoint would be the perfect studio to tackle this.

Good thing the HD overhaul mod is about to be finished, it's pretty much exactly what I want.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the game could survive gameplay changes. I think the core of the game is solid enough if gameplay was closer to the more modern Resident Evil games. Enemy speeds would have to be changed, but I'd be fine with that.

I would miss the tank controls, but the game would be more playable for new players.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
They'll remake the game one day for sure. The question is will that platform not have a port of the game as a result.

Like, if we're pretty deep into the next gen and there hasn't been a port, could you take that as a sign it's being made?

Sure the port would make money like it always has but why compete with yourself/possibly confuse people.