• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should Capcom do?

• a simple port

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • a remaster

Votes: 198 36.5%
  • a remake

Votes: 295 54.4%

• Total voters

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens, for the ps system, it needs move controls. The aiming is terrible otherwise. Just copy re5golds scheme.

While they are at it, just make it VR.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
RE4 can totally work even by letting the player move and shoot. There simply needs to be a reworking of enemy behavior and level design to accomodate for the added player freedom.

And that's when you start asking too much of people who probably don't have the vision Mikami has. The core mechanics is why the encounter design is so perfect. You start running and gunning and it starts to become every other game. Can a game be done as masterfully as RE4 with running and gunning, yes, has it ever been done, nope. Do I trust some new team at capcom to do it, not exactly.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's when you start asking too much of people who probably don't have the vision Mikami has. The core mechanics is why the encounter design is so perfect. You start running and gunning and it starts to become every other game. Can a game be done as masterfully as RE4 with running and gunning, yes, has it ever been done, nope. Do I trust some new team at capcom to do it, not exactly.
This

If they're going to remake it, they need to come up with combat and movement mechanics that feel modern, but are somehow better than RE4's. Good luck with that.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's the least in need of a remake. Updated textures and maybe some limited new content would be a welcome addition, but I don't see the need for the game to start over from the beginning. It's the best that it can be.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They will remaster/port it with the beginning of the next gen

Then they should start remaking it after they remake Resident Evil 3

So maybe 2022-2024

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've bought this game several times for different platforms already. If it's being released on future platforms I expect them to make a proper remake, like RE2. But I think it's a bit early for that. I'd prefer they do Code: Veronica first.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying this?

It's not gonna happen

RE4 is still modern

If anything those fan made HD textures is all it really needs.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Is this a wish thread or a realistic thread?

In a fantasy world I'd prefer a REengine remake, maybe make the enemies actually challenging like just have them NOT stand 5 feet away and ask politely to be shot. I want actual sprinting towards you and burrying a hatchet into your head if you don't shoot first. Also the gore engine in RE2 would be excellent.

However realistically Capcom are just going to port the same game over and over and not do as good of job as some people doing an HD mod...

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
I would like Capcom to take a stab at a full remake. I can play RE4 in its current form on a variety of systems, so even if they mess it up, classic RE4 will always be readily available to enjoy.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
What's probably and hopefully going to happen is after remaking 3 and CV, Capcom will cap off the remake series with 4 and in that one balance out the horror, exploration and action more. Some things that can be improved/streamlined:

- Pacing. Trim some fat, replace with more deliciousness. Wave after wave of shooting really bogs down the feeling of suspense and horror and enemy encounters can be woven into exploration in a more seamless and dynamic way than pulling a lever, initializing a cutscene showing waves of ganado approaching and holding down the fort. This reaches apex ridiculousness with the Island chapter, where aside from the scenes with the regenerators the game just turns into a dumb action shoot em up. It should still be silly, but I hope a lot of that stuff gets reigned in and replaced with more interesting content.

- Stuff like ganado and animals dropping items with a large ring of glowing light around them will hopefully not be in the remake.

- When trimming out some of the many shooting gallery moments I wonder if Capcom will capitalize on the hype of recent RE games by adding more puzzles? That would be cool to see and would make it feel more like a proper RE game imo.

- You already KNOW chainsaw ganado, Chief Mendez, Verdugo and Krauser will be stalker characters.

- Strafing while aiming? I think so, but that's a tough call.

- I have a hunch that RE3make will take inspiration from the Evil Within 2 and Silent Hill via expanded environments. Raccoon City probably doesn't need to be completely open world, but Silent Hill and TEW2-sized areas would make a lot of sense for that game, and I can see a RE4make's environments being more open moving forward from that.

In the mean time, I really, really, hope Capcom link up with the RE4 remaster mod team about making them a deal to use those assets for upcoming remaster ports.
Hopefully they do none of this

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
REmaster, RE4 is a 3D masterpiece and only the games with the weird camera angles need remakes imo , from voice acting to gameplay its all part of what makes it a modern classic, however the textures and models can be upgraded.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
just change the freaking controls, they're horrible since ps2. I can only tolerate it on Gamecube.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
It holds up very well, and the ports are nice, so I think RE4 is fine as is. It's in a sweet spot like say Mario 64, where mechanically and aesthetically it's as good today as ever. I say no need for further RE remakes after 2 (which also holds up, but in a different style).

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Remake it.

I've play it until 100% trophy & port it over & over again to other systems without something new are boring.

Make it option-able improvements; so could choose either original game or new modes.

360 degree camera, aiming while shooting, customizable button layouts, instant weapon select via d-pad, make Ada Wong, Krauser, etc playable in single player, new costumes, anything.

Just do something new for it. : /

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would say remaster.

Improve the textures, the lighting and the resolution and you're golden.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Remake that retains the overall feel of the game while adding in modern QOL improvements like slo-mo aim assist, HUD waypoints and path finding, and unlimited ammo laser guns.

Dec 8, 2018
Tbh, a port of the Gamecube original is what I want. No "remastering", no remaking...actually, the only way I'd accept a RE4 remake if the Man himself, Shinji Mikami, directs himself, which is probably not gonna happen :/

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Re4 doesn't need a remake if anything the gane deserves a remaster a la shadow of the colossus

Yeah I think this is the right way to go. I'd rather see new RE releases post-REmake 2, I want to see the current Capcom take a crack at the horror tps.

RE4 is my favorite game and I play through it once a year, but I'd be happy to take on new adventures of old Leon.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
A remake but a faithful one, like Shadow of the Colossus and Fable Anniversary.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I completely trust current developers at Capcom so I want a full blown REmake. I firmly believe RE4 can be a much better game remade by current standarts.

Tho I defintelly want RE3 and Code Veronica remakes first!

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should pay the guys behind RE4HD project a high price and maybe just make some minor additions or edits here and there

Oct 25, 2017
If the Remake will be treated as an " alternate vision " to RE4 , then sure why not , Different visions and viewpoints for old projects is always interesting and refreshing

If it will be treated as " A Remake that will surpass/Replace the original " ........ Then I fear that it will be a huge pressure on whoever works on the Remake at that time . Nothing is immortal of course , but Surpassing the original RE4 is at least isn't an easy Job , But Of course I hope it happens and If current Capcom is still there at that time then I trust them

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think that after RE2 they will remake RE3. And after that, they may remake RE4 if don't decide to do it with RECV before, something I doubt.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
A perfect game needs no remake. A simple port or remaster like the one that one guy is doing for PC is enough.

If we really need more RE remakes, RE3 and Code Veronica should be prioritized. Especially Code Veronica.
Game is ugly as sin and has terrible pacing issues IMO.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
just remaster it with better graphics, doesn't need much else. Focus on making Resident Evil 8 another good one. Or if you want the same style as this, make Resident Evil 4-2 or somesort of sidestory.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't need to? It'll already be on PS5/XB2/SuperSwitch. They release the game on multiple systems not because they love re releases, but because they want to get their games on as many devices as possible. It's the same things SE do.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like any remake would miss the point of what made RE4 so perfect, and I don't want to run the risk of them only using the remake going forward and not porting forward the original anymore like what's happened with the PS1 trilogy.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Remake given that original camera makes it borderline unplayable. The rest of the stuff's fine to port 1:1.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
RE4 is perfect. Changing anything with the gameplay is much more likely to make it worse than better.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they should just stop after the RE2 remake. RE4 is already pretty much perfect and any significant gameplay changes will most likely just ruin the game.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom should collaborate with the peeps from the RE4HD project and make it official. Those people made an excellent job with the game so far.