• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be factitious. We want the same treatment applied to RE 1- 3 to 4. Not hard to grasp.
RE1 didn't get the same treatment as RE2 and 3 have with their remakes (REmake 1 was still close enough to be considered a replacement for its original rather than an alternative in how it was updated), and is certainly more "archaic" than those games and RE4 alike from a gameplay standpoint.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The issue I have with that is they would most likely end up removing the unique aiming system and just making it work like every other shooter in existence where the aim is always center screen. I like how the aiming works

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just update the controls so i can rotate the camera around the character like RE2 remake.

Is that possible on Pc? I want to know how

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Incorporating elements from 1.5 into REmake 2 that didn't make it into the original RE2 rules out anything else being done with 1.5, I'd say.

A remake of Code: Veronica is still plausible, but I highly doubt its potential to be better than REmake 2, never mind scarier.
I was thinking about remaking REmake again with a new twist and new cutscenes
I believe Code Veronica can easily be better than REmake 2 and scarier too wich 2 wasn't much at all outside of mr X , CV has some of the best level design in the series and Alfred was one of the best villains in the dSC,soundtrack is fantastic too pure gothic madness <3

Didn't feel in love like others with REmake 2 though, it was fine

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about remaking REmake again with a new twist and new cutscenes
I believe Code Veronica can easily be better than REmake 2 and scarier too wich 2 wasn't much at all outside of mr X , CV has some of the best level design in the series and Alfred was one of the best villains in the dSC,soundtrack is fantastic too pure gothic madness <3

Didn't feel in love like others with REmake 2 though, it was fine
Very much disagreed about CV having some of the best level design, but it did have a great soundtrack.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously struggling to think of things they could add something to RE4 without it ruining the design of the original game and i can't think of anything. Even something like easier aiming screws the difficulty balance of the game. The Wii version of proof of that. I don't think Capcom is in any position to do a huge game like a RE4 justice with a remake. The original game was filled with varied scenarios and content. (RE5 was basically half a game in comparison) So we would likely get a RE2 Remake scenario where it might as well be a completely different game from the original with the RE4 name slapped on the package. No thanks. Just make RE8 instead.

Besides REmake, RE4 is the only other game in the series that i would say is pretty much perfect. They nailed it from the start. I just wish Capcom would put more effort into porting RE4 as most of the ports are half-assed. Including the recent PC version.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
1. RE4 controls are perfect to this day

2. The entire game is designed around the range of motion you have with those controls. You would literally have to remake the entire game if you changed the control scheme, down to even enemy movements and timings on their swing attacks, to the point that it wouldn't even be RE4 anymore. Once you are at that point why even bother remaking the game. People love RE4 for it's gameplay and amazing design, not for it's story and graphics. If you are losing the thing that made the game a legend then why even bother remaking it at all.

3. This is what happened when they 'updated the controls' on REmake in a game that wasn't designed for them at all
GgSy7ka.gif

This should be avoided at all costs.

Good game design does not age, this forum has a bad habit of not blaming their own inability to adapt and adjust to a games systems and instead acting like the game has "aged" or is unplayable or something. Resident Evil 4 is as great today as it was back then, I still don't get third person shooters as well paced or as varied as RE4, and depth wise unless its RE6 or Vanquish, you aren't offering me deeper combat systems in a single player tps either.

Exactly, and it's leading to really boring and stale design trends. People just want everything to play like what they are used to because even the slightest bit of being uncomfortable and having to learn something is thought of as 'poor design' these days. So we have a world where every third person shooter needs to play like Uncharted and every FPS needs to play like COD.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with remaking RE4 as long as RE4 Classic is still available.
It's a bit of a problem with the Gamecube REmake of RE1. It has completely replaced the original game and I think that's a real shame.

I love REmake, but sometimes I want to play the 1996 version of the game. This usually means I'll play the DS version which has the original version of the game as well as the REbirth version which moves items and adds some DS minigames.
I'd really like to be able to play the original Resident Evil 1, Directors Cut and Saturn versions on modern hardware. Same goes for RE2 and 3, but at least I can play them on my Dreamcast.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I like RE4 but at this point I would seriously prefer if Capcom stripped everything between RE3 and RE7 off the canon.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident Evil 4 being remade will get the RE2 treatment. The gameplay systems will get a overhaul to adapt to moving and shooting.
It's just the nature of the beast at this point, there's definitely a way around it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 being remade will get the RE2 treatment. The gameplay systems will get a overhaul to adapt to moving and shooting.
It's just the nature of the beast at this point, there's definitely a way around it.
It's how I feel they should do it honestly if they remake RE4. I think the Ultimate HD Edition with the HD Texture mod is the most HD-ifying the original RE4 needs. If Capcom decide to remake RE4, which I don't think will be for a while so when it happens the game would be over 20-years old probably, they'll try to modernize it. Which is fine and what they should do, but that will mean the game adds more options for movement and moving while shooting.

And that one change will mean they have to completely redesign the whole game anyways, so we'll end up with a reimagined RE4 in the vein of the RE2 remake, trying to capture the spirit and memorable moments of things but the actuality is changed.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's how I feel they should do it honestly if they remake RE4. I think the Ultimate HD Edition with the HD Texture mod is the most HD-ifying the original RE4 needs. If Capcom decide to remake RE4, which I don't think will be for a while so when it happens the game would be over 20-years old probably, they'll try to modernize it. Which is fine and what they should do, but that will mean the game adds more options for movement and moving while shooting.

And that one change will mean they have to completely redesign the whole game anyway, so we'll end up with a reimagined RE4 in the vein of the RE2 remake, trying to capture the spirit and memorable moments of things but the actuality is changed.

I mean I was one of the biggest worriers with the Resident Evil 2 remake thinking they couldn't capture the spirit of the original game and ended up changing tunes after I played the final product. I just think trying to remake RE4 is an even more daunting challenge and would be such a radically different title I don't even know if it'd resemble the original game.

RE4 stands out to me still because of it's balance and control scheme working in tandem to create tension and that's the meat of RE4 to me (Along with the cheesy B level presentation). RE2 remake worked for me despite being worried about the perspective change because it captured much of the meat of the original with its environment exploration, puzzles, item conservation, etc, everything sans the fixed camera angles I love but it's still very much RE2 to me.

Plus then the worries about fitting in all the content in the jam-packed original game at a higher visual fidelity and even trying to re-tell the story seems like such a crazy endeavor when we saw they couldn't capture everything from the original RE2 in the remake.

I guess what I'm saying is for most people remaking the fixed camera angle games makes sense cause very few people still dig that whereas I feel RE4 still has a very solid fanbase that loves everything about that game outside a couple of people who can't handle the controls. I guess Capcom probably has lots of time to think about what they'd want to do and I'd still be interested to see what their ideas would be.

Sorry if some of my sentences feel redundant, I had to read over this a couple of times and type different thoughts out.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I was one of the biggest worriers with the Resident Evil 2 remake thinking they couldn't capture the spirit of the original game and ended up changing tunes after I played the final product. I just think trying to remake RE4 is an even more daunting challenge and would be such a radically different title I don't even know if it'd resemble the original game.

RE4 stands out to me still because of it's balance and control scheme working in tandem to create tension and that's the meat of RE4 to me (Along with the cheesy B level presentation). RE2 remake worked for me despite being worried about the perspective change because it captured much of the meat of the original with its environment exploration, puzzles, item conservation, etc, everything sans the fixed camera angles I love but it's still very much RE2 to me.

Plus then the worries about fitting in all the content in the jam-packed original game at a higher visual fidelity and even trying to re-tell the story seems like such a crazy endeavor when we saw they couldn't capture everything from the original RE2 in the remake.

I guess what I'm saying is for most people remaking the fixed camera angle games makes sense cause very few people still dig that whereas I feel RE4 still has a very solid fanbase that loves everything about that game outside a couple of people who can't handle the controls. I guess Capcom probably has lots of time to think about what they'd want to do and I'd still be interested to see what their ideas would be.

Sorry if some of my sentences feel redundant, I had to read over this a couple of times and type different thoughts out.

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and was my "gateway" into becoming the horror enthusiast I am today. Trust me, it's a very special title for me. But the original Resident Evil 4 isn't going anywhere, and at least it's available on nearly everything, and on PC at least is getting a fantastic HD mod from some very talented, hard-working fans.

I don't know if they'll choose to remake RE4, I know the possibility is on the table for them. Even if they choose to remake it, we wouldn't see it before 2025, and probably even later than that. By that point RE4 would be over 20 years old. I know the temptation is to say just remake the game but prettier, because there's a huge chance they may end up making a game that's just not as good as the original game was.

But then Resident Evil 4 ironically was created by the team choosing to change up Resident Evil's original formula from what it had been, and then with their new direction focusing to get the most out of it with design and pacing and variety. Theoretically to remake RE4 in the style of REmake 2, the task would be to embrace that spirit, to change up in this case Resident Evil 4's formula from what it had been and then with their new direction focusing to get the most our of it with design and pacing and variety.

I think the Ultimate HD RE4 with the HD Mod is as much HD-ifying as the original RE4 needs. I think if they choose to remake RE4, they should focus to modernize and stylize it, and again the original game isn't going anywhere, so a remake should try to modernize it's vision. And to make RE4 for a modern audience in something like 5+ (probably more) years from now, it will mean they have to reimagine the whole game anyways.

RE2 I know some of the dev story behind it, there was a lot of things scrapped and redone and trouble with direction and rough patches within the team itself. It was a very turbulent development cycle, and ultimately it lead to them deciding to home in on what was working with the remake and what was crucial and making that as good as they possibly could while cutting out the fat. There's good and bad to that, but it made a very focused experience.

I know the inherent risk of the task, but as Capcom's RE team is staying more the same team and consistent these days, and since even the possibility of RE4 is still some ways off, here's hoping their experiences with REmake 2, RE8, and whatever else before then help prepare them for taking on that sorta' task (if it even happens).