• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking RE4 needs a remake more than Code Veronica. What a crazy world that would be.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
With the new tonal direction of the series, perhaps. But not for a long time. I'd much rather see the less easily-revisited entries in the series reimagined, than seeing a still very playable game remade.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was sooooo ready to correct your list before I even read it Escaflow hahahah...but there it is, Zeebo.

I copied from Wikipedia LOL !

Also , RE4 controls perfectly fine . RE:Remake controls perfectly fine . There's no such thing as modern controls , you just need to adapt and it will make sense .

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
the controls have always been terrible because they were designed for a terrible controller

the game is quality despite that

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I played the Switch version in October and was surprised at how well it's held up, it still plays great.

I'd still love to see the graphics updated though.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You'll get a bunch of people try and convince you the controls are good and not archaic, that it's intentionally bad to help build up tension or some shit like that, but make no mistake the controls are extremely outdated.

Just adding the ability to strafe (re5) made a MASSIVE difference.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that I do think Code Veronica could really benefit from a remake. Though I'd also just really like RE8 at this point, and hope that it builds off RE7's foundation.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm afraid a remake of 4 will make it loose it's atmosphere. I might be wrong but there just something about the graphical limitations of it's time that still makes it feel so eerie. And it plays just fine still today imo.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 remake running on PS5/XSX with a next gen version of RE Engine is too crazy to even dream

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You guys have some serious nostalgia goggles for this game. I played RE4 for the first time a week ago and the over-the-top action is fun but Leon controls really awkwardly and the story and characters are really bad (except for the merchant who is incredible).

RE4 could definitely use the RE2 treatment. They'd do a good job. It's not like the existence of an RE4 remake would erase the original game you all seem to love so much.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Now this... This is such a hot take that I've almost burned myself just by looking at it. And to top it all off, you finish by praising what is, in my opinion, the most overrated game in the entire series.

RE4 is the finest of wines in almost every aspect except for the third chapter. If anything, I would much prefer to have seen something more akin to the village and castle chapters instead of that Rambo looking silliness the game ended up with. And even then, that has little to do with age, I've just never been a fan of that even on my first playthrough, it was just a bit too "Call of Duty like" for my taste.

One could argue that they could mix up the story to make it more "Resident Evil" and less "Leon's Wacky Adventures 4", but mechanically the game is still incredibly well balanced and fun to play today, so I wouldn't change a single thing about that aspect. Once the Resident Evil 4 HD Project is complete, I will have reached personal RE4 Nirvana.

Now Code Veronica, that is the perfect example of a remake screaming to happen, but I'm really not sure how they would achieve that. Mediocre story and so-so gameplay, terrible characters and uninspired enemies, they certainly have their work cut out for them to save that mess of a game. I would rather get a new title in the series to be honest.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like a remake sure, but doesn't really need one, still perfectly playable and it's been ported 9001x at this point.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm not opposed to a remake, but I'm not sure if modernising the controls of RE4 would result in a better game. I understand that it can be a pain to adapt to control quirks, and that following standards is easier and more accessible, but sometimes those very quirks are the game. Sanding the edges off can result in a blander game. If they were to retool how it controls, they might as well rethink the whole game and think of new gimmicks to compensate for it.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I actually think this is the last game that needs to be remade. I've just finished playing the PS4 remaster and it's just such a wonderful experience.

It took me 30 minutes to get used to the controls but by the time I cleared the village they were second nature. What helps is that the game is completely balanced around the control scheme.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We'll see RE4make before we see CVX. Capcom will prioritize the money maker that despite what people are saying here has aged and is harder for newer generations to get into.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
the only way I could get behind a resident evil 4 remake is if it was a complete graphical overhaul and nothing else.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
All it needs is a gyro/pointer version in HD.

Even without that it's better than 5, 6, 7 and every other one released after it.

Last week I played it for a couple of hours on the original GameCube version on an ancient CRT connected via RF for grimy vibes. Still brilliant.

6a32c795db744a8f3c5b5aac663525947aaa3429.jpeg

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
More than the genre defining gameplay would get lost in an RE4 remake, its "self awareness" would be affected as well. Part of the games memorable charm also came from the way Leon and the other characters dialogue were written. It was a serious plot with characters dying awful deaths, but it also knew when to not take itself so seriously. Mikami and his team designed this game with the focus on FUN, and we see and feel that through the games combat, level design, and characters.

Given how ALL of the dialogue was re-written in RE2remake to give it a more realistic feel to match its realistic visuals...I can't say I'm all too anxious for RE4remake.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this on another group, but what is the ideal control scheme on switch when playing portable? Stick to default or change?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
100% agree. RE4 remake would be amazing and is needed. I could do without the RE3 remake and go straight to RE4.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
You guys have some serious nostalgia goggles for this game. I played RE4 for the first time a week ago and the over-the-top action is fun but Leon controls really awkwardly and the story and characters are really bad (except for the merchant who is incredible).

RE4 could definitely use the RE2 treatment. They'd do a good job. It's not like the existence of an RE4 remake would erase the original game you all seem to love so much.
I played it for the first time a few years ago so I don't think there's any nostalgia there for me. It was a phenomenal ride that hold up perfectly even 10 years later.

The original will continue to exist no matter what, you're right, but that's not the point. As a fan of the series I'd just prefer to see a new entry rather than a completely redundant remake of 4. I'd most likely play it but I don't need anything to be changed or improved so it would just be wasted resources in my eyes.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Leave RE4 alone!!!
I literally finished the game on Pro last week and it was perfect just like it always has been. Don't fix that which isn't broken.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played it for the first time a few years ago so I don't think there's any nostalgia there for me. It was a phenomenal ride that hold up perfectly even 10 years later.

The original will continue to exist no matter what, you're right, but that's not the point. As a fan of the series I'd just prefer to see a new entry rather than a completely redundant remake of 4. I'd most likely play it but I don't need anything to be changed or improved so it would just be wasted resources in my eyes.

Yea there's zero nostalgia involved for me too. The controls are only awkward if you're not used to them, which takes half an hour or so max. The game is absolutely perfect.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
I asked this on another group, but what is the ideal control scheme on switch when playing portable? Stick to default or change?
Control scheme 2, or B, or whatever. You want a control scheme where you aim with the movement stick, and shake the camera around with the right stick. If you aim with the movement stick, you'll see what's going on with the aim/mobility dichotomy in the game. The default control scheme in the HD remake is gonna make Leon feel slow and dumb, because movement and aiming are part of the same function in the design. If they're separated physically, it's confusing and awkward why Leon is tanky. It's not a 2 stick shooter.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware today was opposite day. RE4 is the last game in the series to need a remake. The HD remaster project is exactly what it needs, nothing more.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that would need a change is adding weapon quick-switch (via d-pad) and removal of cutscene QTE's (the in-game ones are too integral to the gameplay), game is almost perfect otherwise.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Switch version of this game compared to something like the Gamecube version? I played it on Gamecube so it'd be cool if the port was similar to that at least.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Even if it has aged well, that wont stop Capcom from remaking 4, so we should have fun speculating how will they go about it

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The game is balanced for the slower controls. You can't just throw in modern shooter controls and call it a day. It would be an completely different game.

Adding more enemies and/or toughness is not enough either imho

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Basically a lot of remake requests boil down to "I want this game to play like this other game" even though games are supposed to be different from each other. No wonder the industry is mostly creatively bankrupt when all people want are the same games with different skins.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Control scheme 2, or B, or whatever. You want a control scheme where you aim with the movement stick, and shake the camera around with the right stick. If you aim with the movement stick, you'll see what's going on with the aim/mobility dichotomy in the game. The default control scheme in the HD remake is gonna make Leon feel slow and dumb, because movement and aiming are part of the same function in the design. If they're separated physically, it's confusing and awkward why Leon is tanky. It's not a 2 stick shooter.

i love you!

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the remake shouldnt change the controls, especially not to add movement while aiming

the remake should run at 60fps tho but with all the animations tied to 30 fixed so they dont look weird. thats a huge nitpick tho

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom need to release a 4K basic version first for next gen :p then maybe a remaster some time after :D

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit of a broken record on this, but the only thing they need to change in a remaster of RE4 is to make the fish equipable as melee weapons.

Edit: and would be nice to get the option to use rifles with regular aiming rather than only being able to use it with a scope.

How is the Switch version of this game compared to something like the Gamecube version? I played it on Gamecube so it'd be cool if the port was similar to that at least.

There are some effects in the gamecube and wii version that used a Nintendo specific api (which has not been carried over to newer Nintendo systems). These effects were just absent from the PS2 and original PC release etc, but they did recreate them for the newer HD releases that the Switch version is based on. They didn't recreate them perfectly, if you look at things like the lighting and smoke side by side you'll spot the different, but the recreated effects are a reasonably close approximation, and I think if you enjoyed the Gamecube version there's no reason why you won't enjoy newer versions, including the Switch release.