• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think it just needs an RE Engine facelift like Bluepoint did with SotC.
Gameplay might be problem for those who jump from RE3 to RE4.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I see lot people saying changing RE4 tank ctrls to modern ctrl like re2 will need a entire game change. And thats the idea. To remake the game.
That's the thing though, it can't be an entirely new game. It will still be an over-the-shoulder shooter following the same storyline. It will need to do what REmake did which was invalidate the original game. And despite how well Capcom has been doing lately, there's no way they can make a better RE4.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say maybe in another 5 year maybe, but I feel like it's still too soon to try and remake it. The game has aged pretty well. I'd after 3 that RE:CV could use an HD digital release, but that's it. I think after RE3 Remake they need to move on to 8.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I will say that RE4 is still one of my favorite games and that I think we're due for an RE8, but it's not so precious that I don't think it would benefit from an updated control scheme and the touch ups a ground-up remake would provide.

I might get proven wrong after RE3, who knows, but I have faith the RE2 Remake team could make a hella fun version of RE4. Purists have the game in HD. What's the harm?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Do I want it to be remade? Oh yeah sure.

Does it need to be remade, no. You can play that game now and within like 10 minutes be like " Oh yeah this is one of the best games ever made " like you start getting into playing it and the shit is like instant. The only RE game able to replicate that feeling for me is re2 remake.

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 is still perfect other than the weapon switching, what is this take.

How does it need a remake more than Code Veronica.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
doesn't feel like arcade controls but rather game is not sure what its trying to be control wise. Its a tank control game but with some modernization sprinkled in. Problem is Tank ctrl doesn't for work for a game that's trying to be a OTS TPS

This is basically the original OTS TPS, the game is 100% designed around the controls too. It's like a fully manual Time Crisis game with basic puzzles and wild pacing. If anything, I'd like a graphics/animation update with the exact same gameplay.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just got into the RE games because of the remakes, I agree. The controls in RE4 look like complete trash and I'd never play it unless it got remade.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I played it last year and felt it held up pretty magnificently. I thought it would have aged more than it had. The game is built around its control methods pretty flawlessly. The only thing that felt a bit awkward were the QTE events, which sometimes felt out of place.

Like there was a little bit of a learning curve, and you have to play the game the way it's designed, but I think it has aged very well and is as fun to play today as it ever was (the castle segment still drags a tad though).

Last edited:

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
They should remake RE4 into an open world "hub" type game and Leon spends his time harvesting wood and junk to craft bows, arrows and ammo. By the third day Ashley's already returned and the president is infected with the virus, but who cares, Leon's still having fun foraging in the forests and caves.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should remake RE4 into an open world "hub" type game and Leon spends his time harvesting wood and junk to craft bows, arrows and ammo. By the third day Ashley's already returned and the president is infected with the virus, but who cares, Leon's still having fun foraging in the forests and caves.

The story is redone so that Leon is a 50-year old father looking for his daughter, Ashley, who was last seen partying in Spain while taking the new drug Las Plagas.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's actually by far the best RE game imo. The newer ones aren't as good and the older ones are unplayable.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
I'm actually playing through it again right now. Controls feel a little wonky at first, but you adapt really quickly. The game is still so damn good!!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Congrats on having one of the worst takes in the history of era. It controls perfectly to this day. The design fits those controls perfectly.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I was on mobile and couldn't remember my password, but seeing this thread forced me to bust out my laptop.

I decided to replay it on Switch recently and am halfway through my 2nd playthrough. (Got the Infinite launcher, tommy gun, fully upgraded broken butterfly with around 70 rounds of ammo.) I think the game still plays extremely well with the current controls. I'm also biased since I just love the game so much. Playing the modded version on PC vs. the hypothetical re4 remake will be interesting I think. I really do hope they give re4 the same love they gave 2 and are hopefully giving 3.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Just for the OP, Capcom will remake RE4 in either classic RE style or RE7 style.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Blasphemy. This game has barely aged a day, and with a nice facelift on the modern consoles it's just perfect.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Shooting is wonky? Movement is jank? I have a hard time even parsing this. Leon shoots directly at where his laser sight or scope is pointing. There's zero ambiguity. Movement is insanely simple; you rotate, move forward and move backwards (sometimes you rotate and move forwards or backwards at the same time). I have a hard time understanding how it's more or less jank when that aspect is virtually the same as the other classic RE titles, just wth a different camera angle.
[...] RE 1-CVX still holds up surprisingly well and can still be speedrun with ease but this game on the other hand...
I have a lot of issues with a lot of things you said but the notion that RE4 couldn't be "speedrun with ease" is also baffling and wrong. RE4 has always been a popular speedrun game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can not imagine a RE4 Remake without tons of original content being removed.

RE2 Remake already lost many original contents like the spiders, the giant moth, the crossbow and the super licker. Don't forget we almost didn't get the alligator as well.

They can't even remake a 5 hour long game without cutting out a bunch of stuff, can you imagine how much they are gonna cut out in a 20 hour long game with 40 hour worth of content?

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let me list down all the platforms RE4 already in

GameCube
PlayStation 2
Microsoft Windows
Wii
iOS
Zeebo
PlayStation 3
Xbox 360
Android
PlayStation 4
Xbox One
Nintendo Switch

Yupe , and we need more RE4 .

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Code Veronica should be the last remake and it should come after RE8.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The controls are why I've never finished it, I've tried to force myself to play it twice, but I just cannot enjoy it with those controls.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like Resident Evil 4 but would be very happy for a PS5/Xsx/Pc Remake in the RE-Engine.

It's like the FF7 Remaster imo. The original is still around. Nobody is deleting it. Like Re 2 and shortly Re3 it will be a REimagening.

But imo they should give us Resident Evil 8 (@ PSVR2 Launch) first. And Code Veronika is also waiting for its remaster.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Eww, no. RE4 is basically perfect, don't do anything except touch up the graphics. If any game needs a remake it's Code Veronica, and even then I'm not sure it's worth bothering with. Just move on to 8, Capcom.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the missing special effects of the Gamecube/Wii version restored. The atmosphere is lacking because of their absence from the modern ports.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RE4 remains a top 5 GOAT. It controls perfectly even today - the entire game is designed around the limitations of your movement.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
If you meant NOW that 1-3 have been remade, I might agree with you, but saying it needed one more than the ps1 games is nuts.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I disagree about the original fixed camera games' controls having aged better, RE4 essentially has the same controls and they're much better for having the over-the-shoulder camera. I do find RE4 takes some acclimatizing to when returning to it but I personally find it much easier to come to grips with than something like RE1make. I think the game holds up fairly well.

That said, I absolutely would love an RE4 remake with more modern controls. I'd love the ability to move and shoot and I would love to see those environments reimagined with modern graphics.

A next gen RE4 remake? Sign me the fuck up. If they screw it up that's okay, the original game gets ported to everything possible anyway. I don't care much for idolizing RE4 to the point that it's considered unable to be improved. Frankly that's nostalgia-tinted horseradish. One of the best games ever made? Absolutely, but a remake done right could absolutely be an improvement and be amazing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i played this game like 3 weeks ago for the first time and my first reaction was that it controlled like ass but i kept playing and eventually i found them perfect.

I wouldn't mind a remake for better graphics and a more serious tone (kill me whatever idc).

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Good game design does not age, this forum has a bad habit of not blaming their own inability to adapt and adjust to a games systems and instead acting like the game has "aged" or is unplayable or something. Resident Evil 4 is as great today as it was back then, I still don't get third person shooters as well paced or as varied as RE4, and depth wise unless its RE6 or Vanquish, you aren't offering me deeper combat systems in a single player tps either.