• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was recently playing the game and my goodness it aged badly. The controls aren't as good as the new RE games. Even the old RE games with tank controls aged better than this game. RE4 has this weird tank hybrid control that just doesn't work. shooting is wonky, movement is jank. Its trying a to be a tps with Tank controls. OTS camera for this game just doesn't work anymore. Hopefully its remade one day it has aged poorly out of all the RE games. Doesn't help the camera is soo zoomed in for a game that controls this bad. RE 1-CVX still holds up surprisingly well and can still be speedrun with ease but this game on the other hand...

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I played RE4 for the first time like 2 years ago and it controlled really well honestly. Game is amazing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It most assuredly does not.

RE4 is still leaps and bounds above the genre it helped to create. It is perfectly designed around its limitations and to go back and attempt to tart it up would be a mistake.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I completely fucking disagree so goddamn hard it's not even funny. I played through it yet again not long ago and it absolutely hasn't aged at all, with the exception of a handful of goofs (like the QTE gimmicks, which were fun for the time, but have aged on principle). It is otherwise one of the rawest examples of what I'd consider an absolute masterpiece of game design where every function and system works exactly as intended, is satisfying in interactivity, and conveys a rewarding, thrilling, memorable experience.

OP
OP
Gunslinger

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the controls are fine. they are just arcadey
its not resident evil psx bad
doesn't feel like arcade controls but rather game is not sure what its trying to be control wise. Its a tank control game but with some modernization sprinkled in. Problem is Tank ctrl doesn't for work for a game that's trying to be a OTS TPS

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
But...why? Resident Evil 4 isn't great because of the story or art style, but it's revolutionary gameplay. It's so familiar in so many ways but it's dated aspects actually work in it's favor.

I dunno, boss. It's pretty perfect on its own. Are you playing the HD version with slightly better controls.

Oct 31, 2017
I wholeheartedly disagree about the controls (though I wouldn't mind playing through it with a Wii pointer again...).

That said, I'd be there day one for a version that kept the gameplay intact but gave us some 4K/HDR/RTX lighting. I'd be alllll over that.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica X needs a remake much more. That game was a mess and would benefit a lot from a remake that makes it closer to the original trilogy.

RE4 aged perfectly. It's controls are different from other games but they work perfectly when you learn them.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
RE4's controls are perfectly fine for the type of game they wanted to create; no you can't just go around run and gunning and I'm sure that upsets some people; but it makes RE4's combat feel so fresh and fun knowing (or finding) the best spots to engage enemies and knowing when to run away or create more room for yourself utilizing the tools you have at your disposal (E.G A well-timed QTE roundhouse kick or using that useful grenade).

I know it's not a great meme, but really get good. Learn how to play the game, and you'll be getting 5 stars in Mecs all the time.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Code: Veronica X does not hold up well. At all. Out of every mainline RE, it's the one in most desperate need of a remake.

RE4 is fine as is.

Oct 25, 2017
both consoles have backwards compatibility so capcom cant rerelease re4 for the 50th time

they gonna remake it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread on this pretty recently so I'll just quote what I said there.

Re4's combat is entirely based on risk/reward and positioning. You have to plant your feet every time you commit to a shot, and from that go for staggers. Moving directly at a crowd of enemies to kick them all over is moving into danger, and given the methodical movement Leon has, if you go for a shot then let go and move up without confirming a stagger you're going to get rocked.

Aiming, realizing an enemy is too close, and being forced to disengage, pivot, and run is completely changed if you can slightly walk backwards and go for the staggers.

An enemy like Garrador, the blind claw enemy, charges in a straight line at you once it tracks the sound source to you. If you have re2 controls, you slightly move to the left or right and invalidate the entire enemy.

Re4 does not work at all unless it's exactly how it is. Remake works, because the game is about figuring out the wider picture of navigating the mansion's puzzle labyrinth—Zombies are mere hazards in the way that can be avoided. Re4 is direct engagement the entire time, and the controls are vital to that standoff you have with the enemies.

This applies to something as drastic as Re2 as well. Re2 is a game where you need to drop ammo or a health item to pick up a valve you need to progress. Re4 is a game where your inventory is a tetris block of weaponry to kill hordes of enemies, with infinite pockets for the other stuff.

TL;DR: Touching RE4's mechanics will totally ruin the entire game.

Also the effort that would be involved in actually retooling all of the enemies to suit Leon being able to move, on top of giving such a long game a modern graphical treatment, would be so much work and effort it would likely be harder than just making an entirely new game. There IS an adjustment period to get on RE4's pacing, but a remake is not the answer to that.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
We need Resident Evil 8. The Remake treatment for RE2 and RE3 made sense. We don't need RE4 R now.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
if only the switch version got gyro patched. I'd buy it in a heart beat. But sure updated models and textures for a remake with gyro/IR aiming would be great.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I couldn't disagree more. Barely any of its mechanics were held back by any technical limitations back then and it's perfectly playable to this day.

A Remake with RE2 gameplay would make it completely different and I doubt most people would want to see that.

At this point they should just make a completely new entry.

Last edited:

bender

Oct 27, 2017
The controls are perfect. It set the bar for how shooting should feel and no Resident Evil has matched it since.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I made two posts on this, so fuck it here's the other one. RE4 is my favorite game of all time and this would turn it into a game not even worth playing.

Imagine if Dr. Salvador, as he initiates his instant kill chainsaw swipe, existed in a world where Leon could move and aim. Just walk backwards, lol. He has a ton of recovery afterwards.

A Ganado is behind him getting ready to throw a sickle, you think if you shoot one more time he'll be stunned. As you're aiming, you move to the left and avoid the throw that goes in a linear arc, get out multiple shots to easily get the stun, and go in for the kick. As opposed to having the intended risk of planting your feet, shooting, not getting the stun, getting hit in the face by the sickle and killed by the chainsaw as you're now not able to move. Or the SYCK play, shooting Salvador, shooting the sickle out of the air, and going back to shooting Salvador, knowing the risk of messing this up and remaining where you are.

This would be everywhere, all over the game. Everything would need to be completely retooled. Salvador would have to run and do massive lunge attacks, recover a lot more quickly, and would likely piss off players if he could still one shot you. Yet if that was gone, they would neuter an iconic enemy. The opening Village sequence would lose a ton of its bite right from the getgo.

RE2 changed the camera angle, and changed a lot of the game around that. You can now see all the way down a hallway, when they would often use camera switches to surprise you. But this occupies a totally different space from RE4, as in 4 you have to go THROUGH everything, not around it. The hallways are still claustrophobic, and the zombies take a ton of bullets to get out of the way. Lickers and Mr. X add the missing pieces to this puzzle--a zombie in the middle of the hallway has a licker above it, you now can't run without the licker going aggro on you, and it's MUCH faster than you are. So you take it slow. But Mr. X's thumping footsteps are coming, which makes you run one direction as he nearly takes up the entire hallway with his frame. These all work in tandem to create scenarios that can be hell to navigate at times, which is part of the fun.

REmake did add a new control scheme but it actually breaks the intended mechanics. You can easily juke zombies all over the place. But even with that, RE1 still works because it's not as tied into specific encounters. You have the general overlay of figuring out where you need to be going, how to criss cross the map as efficiently as you can. I would still say it's not preferred, as Zombies still are meant to pose a good amount of threat, especially when you are in a lower health state and know based on the map what you have to go through with barely any ammo. But RE4 is so intrinsically linked to the capabilities of Leon relative to the enemy abilities that it will never work, full stop. The wii version alone shatters this balance, getting rid of the gun handling entirely, and the way the laser sways which incites you to be closer to be more accurate. Wii Leon is able to snipe with basically any weapon, just dumping ammo into people and making the game a complete breeze. There can be entertainment in that in the way a modded game is still fun, but it dilutes the original purpose of everything pretty hard. When the game is offering a stock for the Red9, a super powerful pistol, it's asking to give up valuable inventory space entirely for the sake of a more stable weapon, it's something that matters.

A remake would be so daunting to even try to tackle. RE2 is a 5 hour game that now maybe takes 8, that uses a lot of back and forth navigation primarily against three enemy types. The remake cut a few on top of that. RE4 is a 16-20 hour game that is almost always pushing forward, against a much higher roster of enemies-enemies that if any get cut would be immediately obvious due to how well the game is paced the whole time. So we have a much longer game, with many, MANY more assets, of which each and every enemy type would need to be dramatically redone to cater towards a new range of movement abilities.

...and even if they did this, we would just get LTTP "THIS is what people think is the best game of all time??" threads, because there's damn near no way in hell they can recapture lightning in a bottle while changing all of that. Seperate Ways is the same mechanical base as RE4 but it kinda blows as the encounters just aren't there. It's the entire lifeblood of why this game is so incredible.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to be remade once there has been a substantial shift in how RE plays.

Remaking the PSX REs makes sense because RE4 changed how the games are played. Maybe when RE9 comes out and its some crazy VR experience thats actually mainstream they can Remake RE4 in that.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
You're right OP... this game needs a double jump.

Or it needs to be a top down shooter.

Or it should have some RPG level up mechanics.

Or some Nathan Drake style climbing mechanics.

(What I'm getting at here is that the game was built around a specific set of rules and the game works marvelously around those limitations. The controls are not 'bad' - they're simply 'different')

OP
OP
Gunslinger

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see lot people saying changing RE4 tank ctrls to modern ctrl like re2 will need a entire game change. And thats the idea. To remake the game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica (X) needs a remake. The mess that is the plane battle...

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I see lot people saying changing RE4 tank ctrls to modern ctrl like re2 will need a entire game change. And thats the idea. To remake the game.
RE4 is action horror. It's more action-focused. Limiting the player's movement was a deliberate choice to keep the tension high. There are substantially more enemies as well. The go of the game is to figure out how to eliminate them all and survive, whereas RE2R's goal was for the player to navigate around the enemies. The game wouldn't be remade, it would be a whole new game.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The game still plays smooth as butter. All it really needs is a proper remaster.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
Should've put a poll. I think RE4 is still great to control. It might take like 20 minutes to get used to it if you've been playing more modern TPS but the controls are perfect for the game they built.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? What exactly would that result in?

The reason RE4 works is cause it is the whole package. If you change the gameplay and everything then what would be the point?

The story, gameplay, pacing
and characters are what makes it RE4. REmake 2 worked cause most of what people loved about the game are still there. An RE4 remake that changes the gameplay would be removing what people liked about it (and Yes, the old tank controls were different from the new REmake 2 gameplay but it is still similiar in a way due to the design of the game pacing/structure being identical).

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
I was recently playing the game and my goodness it aged badly. The controls aren't as good as the new RE games. Even the old RE games with tank controls aged better than this game. RE4 has this weird tank hybrid control that just doesn't work. shooting is wonky, movement is jank. Its trying a to be a tps with Tank controls. OTS camera for this game just doesn't work anymore. Hopefully its remade one day it has aged poorly out of all the RE games. Doesn't help the camera is soo zoomed in for a game that controls this bad. RE 1-CVX still holds up surprisingly well and can still be speedrun with ease but this game on the other hand...
this game can be speedrunned as well
in fact because of its adaptive difficulty it's a very interesting game to speedrun
besides that
it's a 1-stick shooter.
Set aim to your movement stick, it's type 2 controls
learn to do the quick turn to escape from a situation
stick and move
it's an action game built around precise limb aiming, planting your feet, and taking the shot
speeding up this style of gameplay ends with re5 and 6, which while they are fun, are not as enjoyable
you balance the tension of needing to unload into the mob with rate of fire, mobility, reload time, and firepower, and have the ability to take a breather when you need to in the inventory screen as you assess your next approach
it's like dead space in that you aim for limbs and weapons
it's an arcadey shooter
you have a brain, you are able to adapt to an older game

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Been playing RE4 again lately. I could definitely use a tasty remake.

But I also wanna see RE1 remade again, along with Code Veronica.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
While i'd take a full remake like 2 and 3... I just wish they patched in the camera controls that RE5 had. Giving full control of the camera like RE5 would make the game infinitely better to play IMO