• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It always surprises me that people lean on the idea that the whacky, hyperbolic shenanigans of Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 came from nowhere, as if Capcom just flipped a switch and suddenly the Resi series became an action game. It surprises me because, from where I'm standing, the ideas that led to the generic action of Resident Evil 5 and 6 sit firmly with Resident Evil 4. And while many fans of the series point to Leon Kennedy's Spanish getaway as being one of — if not the — best games in the series, I'm here to explain why I think it's the worst one.

Essentially, the issue with Leon in Resident Evil 4 is that if he's never frightened, then neither are we. It's something that has certainly been remedied in the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake, with the 1-Shot demo giving us all the chance to appreciate Leon's new baby-face and alarming confidence issues. We see that the remake has Leon having to reassure himself before cracking on with his exploration of the Police Department. It was the same with Resident Evil 7, as Ethan's slow, terrified movements all added an extra layer of fear for us, the player. What's great about the classic Resident Evil games, as well as Resi 7, is that they make you wait before handing you overpowered weapons and other tools of destruction. You had to put up with having to ration your ammo and pick your battles carefully. In Resident Evil 4, you can kill most enemies without breaking much of a sweat.

I'm not saying that Resident Evil 4 is a bad game entirely, I'm just saying that in regards to how Resi 4 impacted the series, it's the game that set into motion the paint-by-numbers action games that Resident Evil 5 and 6 gave us. And for that, Resident Evil 4 is very much the game that pushed the series down that road. Resident Evil 7 and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake look to have recaptured the original desperation and outright horror that classic Resi titles gave us, but it's clear to see that Resident Evil 4 was the game that triggered the series to skew, and because of that, I think it's the worst Resident Evil game in the series.

Source

This gave me a goddamn aneurysm.

There's maybe an actual discussion to be had about RE4's design and how it diverges from earlier games in the series (though it too is a discussion that has been had ad nauseum at this point), but the hyperbolic framing of the discussion ensures that will never happen.

Resident Evil 4 is perfect.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh I remember a specific moment where Leon looks at his arms and is screaming in fear as he sees his body reacting to the parasite inside of him.

So never afraid? Nope.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
The tension built between having hordes of enemies running after you and not having enough health or resources to survive the onslaught is far scarier than anything else in any Resident Evil game. Sure, we are so far removed from it now that the game isn't really scary anymore, but that same thing can be said of blocky triangles of dogs jumping through windows in a hallway for the umpteenth million time.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah

I can see people having criticisms for RE4 but calling it the worst in the series is just there to drive clicks

cmon now

Also just because RE5 was more action than horror doesnt make it a bad game. RE5 was a damn excellent game

Only RE6 brings disappointment and Im not about to lay that blame on RE4 and sit here and argue that it paved the way for RE6 to be the way it was

Thats garbage and the same argument could be made that RE4 also paved the way for both revelations games, RE7 and RE2 remake

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Resident Evil has always been action games. RE1 is an action game. You fight monsters non-stop. There is dodging, but there's dodging in DOOM and Devil May Cry, too. You think Chris "YOU CAN'T KILL ME" Redfield is scared?

RE4 removes the ammo limitation and makes combat more fun, but it doesn't stray very far from the core Resident Evil action game experience.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
If RE4 wouldn't break the old formula, I don't think the serie could survived until today, RE3 at some point was already suffering from formula fatigue. So no, RE4 is actually one of the best ones.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I still haven't played any of the Resi games after Code Veronica, should probably get onto giving RE4 a go...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Worst take of the year?

Also Resi 4, 5 and 6 are all good games, though obviously 4 is a step above the other two

I know a lot of people dislike 6, and I understand why, but it's a great action game with some poor pacing issues and some frustrating design choices

4 is still a masterpiece so it's a weird view

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
RE4 was perhaps a poor Resident Evil and was indeed a stepping stone to the direction of its sequels - I don't agree we should hold it responsible for them. Should we also hold back its perceived quality by comparing it to what came before? I personally don't think so either.

I'm a big RE fan and 4 is probably my favourite game of all time

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Resident Evil being the only major AAA horror franchise left in existence was thanks to RE4 exploding onto the scene.

Otherwise it might just be as dead as Silent Hill.

Oct 27, 2017
Bournemouth
Kinda counters its own argument by saying it's good. Also, absolute bollocks that it wasn't intense or unnerving. More weapons/fewer weapons don't make a survival horror game less terrifying. It's just a different kind.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
The first encounter with the chainsaw guy is the most scared i've ever been playing a video game

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It was somewhat disappointing for me at the time as a big fan of the series up to that point (and as someone who was really excited for the earlier version of RE4). Seeing as it marked not only the end of classic RE survival horror games, but other series followed suit. Survival horror was displaced by action horror, and I will never not be bummed about that.

With all of that out of the way, RE4 is still an unbelievable game and borderline Top 5 of all time in my estimation. It's that good at what it does. Calling it the worst in the series when games like RE0 and RE6 exist is laughable.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
No one in any of the older Resident evils sounds scared. That was one of the great campy things about. The voice acting was so nonchalant for a group of people in the middle of a zombie apocalypse

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
RE4 was amazing. Different =/= bad. Also, it's not its fault that 6 (and to an extent 5) did bad things with its excellent ideas.

If not for RE4, we wouldn't have... well, there's a lot we wouldn't have.

Jun 18, 2018
It's just clickbait that just blames RE4 for the direction of 5&6, and ignores the fact that the series needed to evolve to survive.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I'm really tired of the meme that RE4 is never frightening.

Seriously.

RE4 was horrifying for different reasons than the previous games. Huge mobs of intelligent villagers with an infectious virus isn't scary? Come on.

What I think people are remembering are the 14+ replays after play through 1 where it's not scary cause you're armed to the teeth with zombie killing guns that you unlock either in Merceneries or other reqs, but the first play through was long enough, scary enough, super tense and god dammit amazing.

Blaming RE4 for RE5 (which was good) and 6 (which was ok at best) is just dumb. The series was tired at 4 and needed reinvention, then it got tired at 6 and that's why we got 7 as a more traditional survival horror again.

Click bait at it's best, but annoying when memories are so subjective.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 is by far the worse of the action RE games, IMO. Stilted movement, enemies that line up to get shot and an excess of QTEs. Co-op mitigates that in RE5 whilst RE6 actually plays decently.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
tenor.gif

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was plenty frightened in RE4. I was afraid in the Village as a horde of zombies and a chainsaw wielding lunatic chased me down.

Terrified when tentacle like monsters burst out of the necks of zombies

Terrified when wolves started sprouting these tentacles

Terrified when crazy monks chanting ominously chased me down

Terrified when I was locked up in a cage with a giant metal claw wielding zombie

Terrified when I was locked in the sewer with invisible giant cockroaches

Terrified when I was stuck in a hallway with hissing regenerating zombies that could grab you from a distance

RE4 is plenty scary

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That is the biggest bait of 2019 we'll ever see and we're not even a month through the year.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah

I can see people having criticisms for RE4 but calling it the worst in the series is just there to drive clicks

cmon now

Also just because RE5 was more action than horror doesnt make it a bad game. RE5 was a damn excellent game

Only RE6 brings disappointment and Im not about to lay that blame on RE4 and sit here and argue that it paved the way for RE6 to be the way it was

Thats garbage and the same argument could be made that RE4 also paved the way for both revelations games, RE7 and RE2 remake
RE6 is a pretty solid action game too.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The title is factually incorrect in a world where Code Veronica and 0 exist.