• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hey so how has that been received generally? Do people like his new face? I've been staring at RE4 Leon for so long that it looked off to me, but I appreciate the added realism.
Claire looks better (more accurate to previous designs) in-game than on the promo poster that has been floating around, but her and Leon still look off in general. I guess I shouldn't expect otherwise, since this is standard Capcom fare (them doing strange face redesigns and replacing voice actors like it's nothing). It gives the series a really poor sense of continuity, though. "Hey, let's give Leon a butt chin, even though he's never had one before!" I posted this in the main thread a couple days back, but here it is again:
I880S0K.png
The Darkside Chronicles model updates were more faithful to the original, and more cohesive with the other games. Leon, for instance, looks just like his RE4 self, but younger (as he should).

Last edited:

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Can i use the german Low Violence Version for this mod?
Will it be "uncut" after applying the mod?

albert_re4hd

Nov 2, 2017
Can i use the german Low Violence Version for this mod?
Will it be "uncut" after applying the mod?

I guess it will remain the same. All the files we change are textures, models, lights and effects files, etc... I bet all the data that makes the game cut or uncut is inside the bio4.exe file and we didn't edited this one.

I wonder if German players would be able to play the uncut version by simply using another country bio4.exe file... At least this method works for the Japanese version! I can play with Japanese text and subtitles, biohazard 4 screen and title calling, fixed camera angles for the Ashley areas, etc... by simply using a Japanese bio4.exe

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting! Thanks for the Info.
But getting a NTSC .exe without buying it would probably still be piracy.

If it doesn't break the forum rules could someone gift me the game? I would pay beforehand per PayPal.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Wow just got an email for early access to the new update due next week! If anyone contributed check your email! Thanks again guys for all your hard work on this!!!! Can't wait to get this installed!!

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my e-mail with access!

I've been following on/off, and when on haven't been paying attention to details. I read the instructions but what exactly does this release cover? Is this everything?

edit: And I think it's time to donate again :)

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Just got my e-mail with access!

I've been following on/off, and when on haven't been paying attention to details. I read the instructions but what exactly does this release cover? Is this everything?

edit: And I think it's time to donate again :)

Yup I'm going to as well. They deserve everything I'm able to give to them :-)

Oct 25, 2017
I just donated $5 a few hours ago. Is it too late to get access?

EDIT: Emailed the staff and they sent me the download link. :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just got my email - what a great surprise! Can't wait to get back from work and play this (after the football, of course...)

Amazing work and you guys have my eternal gratitude :)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard waiting for a week+ I just finished a playthrough and I wanted to see the differences while it's still fresh in my mind lol

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just chiming in to say this is fucking amazing! I've used the updated Flawless Widescreen plugin from here to up the FOV by 20 degrees and the game feels brand new! Thanks again!!

In an ideal world Capcom would add this as free DLC to the Steam version, it deserves to be spread to everyone who plays it.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
MomoVideo, from the project website's FAQ

http://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=104

RE4HD said:
While we do not yet have confirmed system requirements, the greatest increase in hardware requirements would likely be increased VRAM due to the larger textures. As I (Cris) have played through the Village section, I've seen VRAM usage of up to ~470MB. This does not include, of course, enemy textures or textures for Leon, Ashley, weapons, etc. since we are currently focused on the environmental textures. However, the environmental textures should account for most of the VRAM usage. My sense at this point is that a graphics card with 1GB of VRAM should be sufficient, but we will update this as the project progresses.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the castle level and the game looks fucking amazing. I can't believe it's done by only two people. The texture and lighting on everything including the menus, weapons, and HUD all look great. I can't wait to hear peoples impression when it's release.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played RE4 but I plan on doing so considering its reputation. I already own it on Steam.
I just now stumbled across this thread and it looks like very faithful upgrade work. I think maybe I will wait until this releases.

Will this be available as a mod on steam or will this be manual install?

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played RE4 but I plan on doing so considering its reputation. I already own it on Steam.
I just now stumbled across this thread and it looks like very faithful upgrade work. I think maybe I will wait until this releases.

Will this be available as a mod on steam or will this be manual install?

It's a manual install. You download quite a big file about 27gb. Unzip those files to the RE4 folder and click on a install script. It does everything automatically and you're good to go.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Whoa, amazing work. They're finally releasing this? Is the retexturing done for the whole game or is there still some areas that need work?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The temptation is so strong but... no! I must wait until the mod is 100% done with all the character models updated, I must be strong.

albert_re4hd Speaking of character models; Any news on if it'd be possible to replace the in-game models with the higher quality cutscene models?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a manual install. You download quite a big file about 27gb. Unzip those files to the RE4 folder and click on a install script. It does everything automatically and you're good to go.
Sounds easy, thanks.

From the looks of the progress summary it looks like this is maybe 2/3 done, is that about correct? It separates it by location names but because I haven't played this game yet, those headings don't really mean anything to me. Hard for me to judge.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds easy, thanks.

From the looks of the progress summary it looks like this is maybe 2/3 done, is that about correct? It separates it by location names but because I haven't played this game yet, those headings don't really mean anything to me. Hard for me to judge.

I haven't reach the island yet but looking at their site it says the release has all levels done:

Here are the details about what this release will include.

Note: This does not mean the project is complete – there are several things that remain, like enemies, NPCs, playable characters, etc.

• Village Pack – UPDATED
    • All textures, 3D edits, lighting and effects improvements to date
  • Castle Pack – UPDATED
  • Island Pack – NEW
  • Separate Ways Pack – NEW
  • Assignement Ada Pack – NEW
  • The Mercenaries Pack – NEW
  • Subscreen and Menus and Weapons Pack – NEW
    • Re-created menus and subscreen background images
    • Improved inventory item models and textures
  • Weapons Pack – NEW
    • In-game weapon 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Weapon textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Items Pack – NEW
    • In-game item 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Some item textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Cut-scene Pack – NEW
    • Fixed and restored effects from the Gamecube/Wii version that got lost during the HD porting process
    • Improved cutscene-exclusive textures and 3D models
    • Low-polygon Ganados have been replaced with the higher-polygon version
    • Some lighting adjustments here and there
    • Some effect adjustments here and there
  • Miscellaneous
    • Enemy torches and crossbow arrows cast real time light
    • Improved barrel and tank explosions
    • Fixed some minor sound bugs

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, did I forget to sign up for a newsletter or something? I've been following this for so long!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn what happened to crisdecuba? Why would he have an alt-account.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Claire looks better (more accurate to previous designs) in-game than on the promo poster that has been floating around, but her and Leon still look off in general. I guess I shouldn't expect otherwise, since this is standard Capcom fare (them doing strange face redesigns and replacing voice actors like it's nothing). It gives the series a really poor sense of continuity, though. "Hey, let's give Leon a butt chin, even though he's never had one before!" I posted this in the main thread a couple days back, but here it is again:

The Darkside Chronicles model updates were more faithful to the original, and more cohesive with the other games. Leon, for instance, looks just like his RE4 self, but younger (as he should).
Those older pictures don't even look like people, they look CG

The new ones look far more realistic yet still similar to the original characters. IMO they did a great job.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This is certainly the first time I've ever seen someone use their real name for an alt account.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I emailed the project's contact email, mainly to say thanks for the backer update and also to ask whether Cris or Albert would still be posting updates here. Cris replied and gave the following explanation, for which he gave permission to be shared here:

When ResetEra started up, I originally signed up under my YouTube username (TreadTalks). But then when it came time to post about RE4HD (Ellis had been kind enough to re-create the thread), I wanted to keep things separate and so I registered as crisdecuba (my personal username).

Over time I settled into a pattern of posting primarily as TreadTalks by default, and crisdecuba when posting about RE4. And sometimes I would stay signed in as crisdecuba and post in other threads, so it was a bit muddled. I also think I was more loose with my posting on the other account — entering into more difficult topics and hashing things out with people in a more debate-like manner.

I didn't know at the time that alt-accounts were a violation of the TOS, but ignorance of the rules doesn't make you expempt from them. When the accounts were banned, I reached out to the ResetEra mods to ask for an exception. To their credit, they conducted what felt like a thorough review of the situation. They determined that since I seemed to be choosing one account over the other when entering into "riskier" conversations, it was a textbook case of the kind of behavior the rule is trying to curtail. It made sense to me, and I appreciate the consistency with which they are trying to approach things.

That said, updates on the project will still come via Albert.

Thank you, everyone!

Mods, I hope this isn't breaking any rules - I'm only posting this as a one-off to clear up ambiguity as so many people here are really invested in this project! Obviously please delete if there is any issue with this as I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks about cris, it was clearly a misunderstanding. Would be nice if they unbanned his cris account and he would have to stick to just that one account.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks about cris, it was clearly a misunderstanding. Would be nice if they unbanned his cris account and he would have to stick to just that one account.
While this would help with this project (in terms of communication), I can understand that the mods and admins don't want to give anyone special treatment just because who they are. If he had just stopped using the other account, or asked it to be renamed, it wouldn't have been an issue, I'm sure.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It's my secret shame that despite owning pretty much every incarnation of RE4 ... I haven't played it yet.

I'll be playing through the game for the first time when this project is completed.