• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Eh there were similar freak outs back when RE2 was about to release, I'll reserve judgement until when I play it. RE2 was my GOTY last year and it was fantastic despite changes and cuts from the original.
The other thing people are neglecting a bit here is both people we've heard opinions for that delivered all of this news also were very positive on the game, though first one was happy with all but length and difficulty (and wish he did his first playthrough on Hardcore as found Normal to be too easy), second guy played it Hardcore his first run, didn't report his time but I think it's because he feels it would've been setting expectations wrong (he mentions he found the Hospital sequence really tense, moreso than Nemesis despite Nemmy not being in that part of the game, and spent almost an hour and a half there despite the location not being that large really). First guy said he wanted to replay it immediately and stressed despite some things he did enjoy it and felt like playing it again, second guy said he liked it just as much as RE2 though it was a different game in many ways.

So take all of that as you will.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh there were similar freak outs back when RE2 was about to release, I'll reserve judgement until when I play it. RE2 was my GOTY last year and it was fantastic despite changes and cuts from the original.

Yeah this honestly. Although this sounds like way more of a departure than RE2 remake was, similar stuff was complained about before RE2 came out and almost all of those things weren't an issue. People really get too worked up over these things when they should just wait to play them for themselves. Like the playtime is super subjective. First dude took 6 hours, second person took 9 hours now a third person is nearly done and is at 3 hours. People here will no doubt vary themselves.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Will buy a 2-3 bundle in the future if true. That's really short and a bit of a missed opportunity,

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that doesn;t mean much for those of us that found RE2R to be disappointing, even if we did enjoy the game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- No spiders.
- No Grave Digger
- No ink ribbons

Looks like REmake will forever be the best RE game.

Feb 16, 2018
This game is gonna flop, damn.
Holy shit the hyperbole is this thread, the game won't flop because spiders didn't make it in. Again like RE2 when people freaked out about crows being cut and the Ivy monsters not looking like generic jrpg plant monsters anymore. The biggest disappointment is toned down gore but even then I believe the game is still going to be a blast to play.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised that people are focusing on what's cut instead of what's added, but I'm still disappointed in it.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a fan of this line of thinking. The Neptune tank in RE1 was a terrible section but it became one of the best in the remake.

I'm sure there will be parts of the original RE3 that are expanded upon and made much better, too. The only real difference is the remake of RE3 is inevitably going to be a much bigger game than the remake of RE1 was so if they wanted to add bits like new areas and bosses, they obviously have to cut others.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the hyperbole is this thread, the game won't flop because spiders didn't make it in. Again like RE2 when people freaked out about crows being cut and the Ivy monsters not looking like generic jrpg plant monsters anymore. The biggest disappointment is toned down gore but even then I believe the game is still going to be a blast to play.
It's not just Spiders.

There are more cut enemies, locations, modes and the game is even shorter than one campaign from RE2.

What the fuck were they doing for 3 years?

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is cut is obvious, the quality of what is there is not. Cutting the Clocktower is a major mistake and it certainly makes RE3 a lesser remake, but in term of overall quality it might make little or no difference.

If cutting one location (despite the fact it's adding several more new ones) is enough for you to think it's a lesser remake (despite the fact you haven't even played it yourself yet) then by all means man, you do you. Besides, from what people have said the Clocktower isn't cut, it's just smaller.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If cutting one location (despite the fact it's adding several more new ones) is enough for you to think it's a lesser remake (despite the fact you haven't even played it yourself yet) then by all means man, you do you. Besides, from what people have said the Clocktower isn't cut, it's just smaller.

Being a lesser remake and being a lesser game are different things, which I mentioned in my post. Cutting content from the original will always make a remake lesser, by definition.

I hate the cliche "x is a good game but it's a bad x-franchise", but in terms of remakes there is a difference. There is a very clear blueprint of what the game should be. The Clock Tower is just not any location, it's a key, memorable location from the game, one that you don't entertain being cut (like you don't entertain Nemesis or Jill being cut). And technically yes, it's still there, but it seems to be basically a background. Samething for the gravedigger.

Feb 16, 2018
It's not just Spiders.

There are more cut enemies, locations, modes and the game is even shorter than one campaign from RE2.

What the fuck were they doing for 3 years?
Length is similar to RE2 Remake and RE7, what the fuck were they doing? Making an incredibly detail city and developing a persistent AI for a monster that hunts you throughout the story. Lets not forget the things they've added or expanded upon, if you liked RE2 Remake and the demo for this game I'm not sure why you'd not like playing this game.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Clock tower being reduced is the only thing that worries me from what that info. I was hoping they would expand that part, not lessen it. I always thought of it as RE3's Mansion or RPD, and it would have been neat to see it expanded in that kind of way. Cool to hear the hospital is expanded though, I guess that's the tradeoff.

Everything else though? Meh not a big deal, grave digger was always a pain, and in retrospect seems completely random. Spiders, it would have been cool but I think a lot of people don't understand how hard it is to animate a realistic giant spider enemy in a game that looks as good as RE3. In a game where the zombie animations shamble and ragdoll as well as they do, doing a photo-realistic arachnid with it's subtle micromovements, hair physics, and not to mention the "battle damage" the other enemies tend to have, is a bigger ask than I think people might realize.

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to probably be going against what seems to be the grain in here and say the leaks have me excited. They have taken opportunities to switch more up, play with expectations and create a Resident Evil game that isn't exactly 1:1 with 3 but takes the necessary components to still be a remake or reimagining of that game in 2020. I'll reserve judgement until I play it but I do find remakes with a little deviation interesting, but I do get the view of people who want 1:1. RE2 was my favourite game of last year and I actually preferred it to the original though. Also for me length isn't a huge issueI play through the campaign of these games multiple times usually.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This game is gonna flop, damn.
I'm right there with you. The game is doomed.
...And DOOM is GOOD!
giphy.gif

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't and fair enough, I just think people need to chill a bit and be more optimistic then they are in this thread. The game won't flop or review poorly, its okay to be disappointed with some of the changes but lets not freak out please.
The game will score lower and probably sell worse than REmake 2. People on that French forum are already saying they will get it when it gets a price drop.

The negativity is completely justifiable from reading this. Shit is wack.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know we've got the Deimos, but the big shame about the spiders, for me personally, is I was watching videos of the spider boss from Hunt: Showdown, and man that's just about the scariest arachnophobic shit I've ever seen. I love the idea of an enemy, especially a spider who's literally too fast for the player to register a reaction even with KB+M twitchy shooter controls. Creates situations where you turn around and it's there and then suddenly not, and your eyes are barely able to take it in.

Would LOVE to see that kind of fear reproduced in a single-player horror game.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't mind the changes to stages or the enemy roster, but the removal of ink ribbons even on the hardest mode (apparently?) is a big disappointment. I think RE7 and RE2's remake are great games, but I don't think they work especially well in their lower, ribbon-less difficulty modes; this structure of game really needs a system like that to shine.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much, if at all, we'll be playing as Carlos in this. Has anyone said if he gets more time in the spotlight or less?

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Meh, I don't mind the cuts and the length doesn't bother me but I won't be frothing at the mouth waiting for this to drop on Steam like RE2R. I'll wait for a sale. It's weirdly similar to my reaction when the original came out so whatever.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much, if at all, we'll be playing as Carlos in this. Has anyone said if he gets more time in the spotlight or less?
One of the guys who played it made it sound like you play as him in the RPD instead of Jill but he didn't outright say it.
We know you play as Carlos through RPD but not Jill and through the Hospital, but we don't know if that's it or if there's another time outside of that.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
We know you play as Carlos through RPD but not Jill and through the Hospital, but we don't know if that's it or if there's another time outside of that.
Has anyone seen or heard of Carlos trip to RPD? I hope that was expanded. Idk, something about seeing the RPD before it fell to total shit gets me
Pumped