• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
We're about two weeks away from Resident Evil 3's release, the demo came out and can be datamined and early copies probably will start to hit the wild within the next week. So here we go to having a spoiler thread.

THERE IS LEGITIMATE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD, DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU WISH TO NOT BE SPOILED.

Spoiler tags are NOT needed in this thread, so be warned of that right now.

With that out of the way, the reason this thread is now is because the demo datamining has lead to some spoilers discovered. NOT AS MUCH as many may hope, Capcom did apparently a surprisingly good job at scrubbing the demo for spoilers. Weapons, Item, Enemy and Location lists were all scrubbed thoroughly to not give spoilers for the full game, so commend them for that.

But as usual, you can't scrub everything. The person who most of this info is responsible for is FluffyQuack , who did a video on his own findings digging into the demo here:

(Update: Fluffy took the video down.)

Watch that video if you want the full scoop, I'm leaving out a lot of details. He even dug out some texture files for posters in and not in the demo, the Result Screen for the main game, etc. However, I will cover some of the more interesting details uncovered at this conjuncture.

So firstly, there's a thing in the RE Engine known as "Gimmicks", these are environmental things with special properties. I assume some couldn't scrubbed from the demo without causing severe game breaking bugs, so we have a list of what they're called in the files at least:

ToolBox
JewelryBox
DoubleLadder
Hydrant
ControlPanel
GunCase
PowerSwitch
Disconnector
ExhaustPort
Explosive
BreakerSwitch
Jill
FuseBox
Lift
VaccineExtractor
SecurityReleaseDevice
PowerSupplyUnit
RailGun
Switch

That doesn't mean that's every gimmick object in the game, just the ones they couldn't scrub. If I may for a second, probably the three most interesting ones are "Jill", "VaccineExtractor", and "RailGun". Jill is listed here probably during the part of the game where you play as Carlos when Jill is infected, as you can probably interact with her and she has special properties. Which also ties into the VaccineExtractor, which would be in the basement of the Hospital. RailGun is the weapon used in the final boss fight in the original RE3 to combat mutated Nemesis. These are small, but interesting little things to note.

Now a much more interesting thing.

Difficulties & New Game+:
-There is four difficulties in the game, "Assist Mode", "Normal Mode", "Hard Mode", "Super Hard Mode".
-Assist Mode gives the player auto-regenerating health when in critical state, auto-aim turned on, a free assault rifle to use, enemy attacks do less damage, and gunpowder usage gives more ammo.
-Normal mode is the "recommended" difficulty for most players.
-Hard Mode is for series veterans, says it makes the enemy AI more aggressive and intelligent, they deliver more damage, and supplies is more scarce.
-Super Hard Mode is unlockable, and it says the enemy AI is even more aggressive and there's even less supplies, AS WELL Enemy and Item placement is remixed on this difficulty.
-New Game+ is mentioned multiple times on the Menu UI stuff. Apparently when you beat the game once on any difficulty, you unlock New Game+. New Game+ is given the description that changes several parts of the game and changes the ending, though unclear the exact details of this.

Unlockables:
-Jill's S.T.A.R.S. costume is mentioned multiple times as an unlockable reward.
-There may be one additional costume for Jill outside of her Default, RE3 pre-order and S.T.A.R.S. costume, but it's unclear. It looks like Carlos has two costumes and Jill has four, though.
-This is unclear, but there also may be accessories you can unlock. There's "Costume Rewards", and only one of them is named in the files, which is a "Hip Pouch".
-There is an "Item Box Reward" unlock, though not clarified what it is. Probably a weapon you unlock that gets left in your item box.
-Concept Art and a Character Model viewer unlocks confirmed.

Locations:
Now once again, Capcom actually scrubbed the data from the game on Weapons, Enemies, Locations. BUT they weren't able to entirely scrub the location list, and frankly you get a pretty thorough list of all the locations in the game if you dig through things.
So, if you're curious of the general layout of the game, it should go something like this:

-Apartment and Early Streets.
Before I post the next thing, know there is very solid references in the files to the apartment and the early parts of the game. It's not going to be listed below, but they don't get maps which is why they're not listed below I think. Any location without a map isn't on the list below.

However, there is a UI call for the maps in the game, every area that gets a viewable map. And you can see the map calls below:

7ac5c4ee3120fb270e137cbc93bcd5be.png

My main take away is there's five bigger buildings that get special maps in the Downtown (one of them for certain is the News Building), it seems the subway train crashes in the tunnels and before the Clock Tower you go through some subway tunnels from the crash site, the Clock Tower gets only one map (that doesn't mean it is small specifically, the whole of Downtown only gets one map for example, but it's notable), and speaking of which the Clock Tower and the Park are confirmed to be in the game. The area after the Park seems to get a map, the "Disused Plant", which I assume is where Nemesis attacked you on the bridge in the original game (and probably got expanded too).The Hospital is pretty big, but even bigger is the "Laboratory", which I assume is Dead Factory.

I suspect for many this will be the biggest part of the spoilers at the moment, but it is interesting.

Characters:
Now this part is a bit interesting. There's a list of character models used in the game, some of them have been scrubbed out, but others and even some interesting ones have not been. The list looks like this (in order):

Carlos Oliveira
Claire Redfield
Jill Valentine
Nicholai Ginovaef
Mikhail Victor
[Redacted Scrubbed Character]
Brad Vickers
Tyrell Patrick
Murphy Seeker
Dario Rosso
Amy Lee
Nathaniel Byrd
Marvin Branagh
Brian Irons
Ben Bertolucci
Robert Kendo

And that appears to be the characters in the game, along with unnamed NPC type characters that just run around I suppose. There's a few surprises in that list, and I have no idea who the two scrubbed characters are, but it's definitely interesting. I also have no idea who Amy Lee or Nathaniel Byrd is.

=====

And that's most of what we have right now. Capcom did a pretty good job data scrubbing some of the more sought after tidbits from the demo, but there's still interesting stuff in there. And again, Fluffy's video has more than I posted here, included textures of various posters and the Results Screen in the game.

I thought it might be a good idea to get this topic rolling, so let the spoiler talk commence.

Bonus:
1173690_20200320011143_1.png

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Do any of those character models portend new, added character sequences? I enjoyed Ada Wong's portion of 2R on medium difficulty but on any difficulty higher it's usually when I stop playing my campaign.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Wonder if you meet/see Irons before shit hits the fan at the RPD. Re-visiting the RPD remains my most anticipated segment of the game. I can't wait to see what carries over from RE2, and what's new before everything went to hell.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Alright, I'm not going to look at anything in this thread because I want to stay spoiled-free.
I just have one question : Is the game story really different from the original ?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm not going to look at anything in this thread because I want to stay spoiled-free.
I just have one question : Is the game story really different from the original ?
It's not clear exactly, Capcom scrubbed a lot of details, but there are definitely new characters in the story from the original.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Wonder if you meet/see Irons before shit hits the fan at the RPD. Re-visiting the RPD remains my most anticipated segment of the game. I can't wait to see what carries over from RE2, and what's new before everything went to hell.
maybe you see him in mid-meltdown mode when you first visit rpd

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized an "Oh DUH" moment, one of the redacted characters has to be Barry Burton, right?

CTRL + F "Spiders".

FUCK

The demo's weapons, items and enemies list were pretty well scrubbed. It mostly keeps to enemies in the demo itself, and a few odd mentions like Drain Deimos, but not much more than that. The only real notable thing from it is that the Nemesis infected enemies are called "Parasites" in the files.

Sargerus

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume Hard mode = Hardcore and Super Hard = Madhouse.

Just hope Hard has ink ribbons.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, I've been going through with a Hex editor and there's not much. Ditto with using Cheatengine to spawn inventory items.

There is one extra environment not mentioned in the UI list and that's Jill's Apartment. You can find it under the list of levels with a "BackingField" call, which i assume is something like a unique skybox or ambient sound.

Some mentions of Nemesis boss fight chapters but if you've played the original you know when they happen.

You can find the Jill STARS costume reference by doing a string search for "Jill_BH1".

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
[Removed video]

Sorry about the framerate stutter in the video, but that keeps happening on my PC with the game. If anyone has the same problem and finds a solution, please let me know. I think Win 7 + nvidia card is part of the cause.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Some more info from exporting and viewing the texture files

Resident Evil 3 Reimagined Modding Tools |

Create an awesome tool that will help the world mod the game? Share it here!!

The handgun's other upgrade is a silencer. The shotgun's is the M4-style stock we saw in the screens, a barrel extension and a shell holder mounted on the side.

The Colt 933's is a scope and possibly a new foregrip.

I found the inventory icons. Completely scrubbed.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I reckon they scrubbed the enemies because Nemesis has more than three mutations in this game.

I doubt Spiders are in for some reason.

Interesting to see the Park seems to be gone completely?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Some more info from exporting and viewing the texture files

Resident Evil 3 Reimagined Modding Tools |

Create an awesome tool that will help the world mod the game? Share it here!!

The handgun's other upgrade is a silencer. The shotgun's is the M4-style stock we saw in the screens, a barrel extension and a shell holder mounted on the side.

The Colt 933's is a scope and possibly a new foregrip.

I found the inventory icons. Completely scrubbed.

Honestly good for them for doing a more thorough scrubbing job than they've had in the past. But it does leave a lot of things to see sooner or later.

I reckon they scrubbed the enemies because Nemesis has more than three mutations in this game.

I doubt Spiders are in for some reason.

Interesting to see the Park seems to be gone completely?

Nah, the Parks in the game. They scrubbed most of the location stuff in the game, but two things they left were load zones and the map files. In the load zones it looks like the Park is missing, but in the map files the Park is mentioned. My guess is the Park isn't very big and is part of another larger load zone, whatever load zone is the connecting area from the Clock Tower to the Hospital.

But going by the Map Files (and other files for earlier in the game), the locations in the game should go something like:

Apartment > Street/Movie Theater > Parking Garage > RPD Police Station > Subway/Downtown/Substation/Sewers/Downtown Building (this part of the game is more open) > Subway Tunnel Crash Site > Clock Tower > Hospital > Park > Disused Plant > Dead Factory/Laboratory

Some of these locations may be small, like I predict the Park will just be a few rooms like the original.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem what does enemy AI being "more aggressive and intelligent" usually entail here? I only played RE2R on Hard, so not sure what differences to expect

Also can we expect a more varied arsenal here than RE2 given the larger action focus?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem what does enemy AI being "more aggressive and intelligent" usually entail here? I only played RE2R on Hard, so not sure what differences to expect

Also can we expect a more varied arsenal here than RE2 given the larger action focus?
It's hard to say. The exact description mentions the enemies act different on different difficulties, and I recall in interviews they talked about how even returning enemies (namely the zombies) they tinkered the AI to fit RE3 more. We won't really know until we see it in action, but the difficulty text for Hard and Super Hard specifically mention the enemies will be more aggressive.

The weapon list is scrubbed very clean from the demo, but it looks decently meaty even with all the names and data from it taken out.

lairydavid

Dec 17, 2018
It's hard to say. The exact description mentions the enemies act different on different difficulties, and I recall in interviews they talked about how even returning enemies (namely the zombies) they tinkered the AI to fit RE3 more. We won't really know until we see it in action, but the difficulty text for Hard and Super Hard specifically mention the enemies will be more aggressive.

The weapon list is scrubbed very clean from the demo, but it looks decently meaty even with all the names and data from it taken out.

The zombies seem faster and more aggressive than RE2 even in the demo, they're straight after you the moment you step into their 'zone.' Probably a nod to them going turbo at random in the original RE3.

So they probably get even faster in the harder modes.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Didn't someone say we we would get a new look at a new Chris model before the next game he is in?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-There is four difficulties in the game, "Assist Mode", "Normal Mode", "Hard Mode", "Super Hard Mode".
-Assist Mode gives the player auto-regenerating health when in critical state, auto-aim turned on, a free assault rifle to use, enemy attacks do less damage, and gunpowder usage gives more ammo.
-Normal mode is the "recommended" difficulty for most players.
-Hard Mode is for series veterans, says it makes the enemy AI more aggressive and intelligent, they deliver more damage, and supplies is more scarce.
-Super Hard Mode is unlockable, and it says the enemy AI is even more aggressive and there's even less supplies, AS WELL Enemy and Item placement is remixed on this difficulty.
-New Game+ is mentioned multiple times on the Menu UI stuff. Apparently when you beat the game once on any difficulty, you unlock New Game+. New Game+ is given the description that changes several parts of the game and changes the ending, though unclear the exact details of this.

God help me if Super Hard Mode is tied to the platinum lol. Also New Game + sounds super interesting. The alternate ending makes me think of the true ending in RE2 remake.

The area after the Park seems to get a map, the "Disused Plant", which I assume is where Nemesis attacked you on the bridge in the original game (and probably got expanded too).The Hospital is pretty big, but even bigger is the "Laboratory", which I assume is Dead Factory.

I think the Laboratory is the new end of the game and the Disused Plant is the Dead Factory. Some of the shots used in the demo trailer looked very high tech and imo scream a Laboratory. I think ending on a Laboratory is a great change.

Carlos Oliveira
Claire Redfield
Jill Valentine
Nicholai Ginovaef
Mikhail Victor
Brad Vickers
Tyrell Patrick
Murphy Seeker
Dario Rosso
Amy Lee
Nathaniel Byrd
Marvin Branagh
Brian Irons
Ben Bertolucci
Robert Kendo

Taking a guess the two redacted characters are Barry and Chris. Barry is obvious but I'm surprised Chris might be in this. RE1 flashback maybe? Should be cool to see what young Chris looks like in the RE engins, might even sell people on the new look.

As for the other characters, interesting that Claire is in there but not Leon. My first guess was the Epilogues are returning but maybe not.

Great stuff Dusk, even more excited to play the game!

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
IMG_20200321_015054.png

So it appears that RE3 has broken street date at France, expect more spoilers in the wild now.

We'll see how it goes.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Have the Nemesis game mechanics been confirmed? Does he show up randomly, or only after certain triggers? Does he continue to patrol after those triggers, and is it possible to permanently take him out for that specific section? Any rewards for taking down Nemesis?