• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
These reviews only seem to confirm the fears I had for this game since its announcement. Releasing it a year after RE2 already indicated a short and rushed development, while including Resistance just indicated to me that the main campaign wasn't going to be as full of length and content as we'd all hoped.

Slightly disappointing, but I'm still really looking forward to playing it, especially after the positive impressions from both Jim Sterling and The Sphere Hunter.

P.S. Also Capcom, if you're listening, please don't let Resistance be a sign of things to come for the series. This is not what we want at all. More resources towards single player horror goodness like RE7, R2, and R3 plz thx xo
This is a misconcept. The game was developed by a different team for at least 3 years. Not after RE2 was delivered. It was not rushed, it was bad decision making from my point of view.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I'm not happy about the cut they have made from original game in this Remake.. really disappointment.

But I will play it as it's own experience and I'm pretty sure will love it so much.. maybe even more than RE2R.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Eagle 6.0 handgun or M37 shotgun is also disappointing. Same for no enhanced ammo mixing for the starting handgun or shotgun (or freeze rounds for the grenade launcher, apparently). Copy/pasting the Desert Eagle magnum from RE2 instead of having the .44 revolver magnum is a more minor gripe, but still a letdown.

Ugh. Next we will find out there is no mini gun anymore...

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
So, not only they cut areas and other paths, it has noticeable less gore, less physics, and less touches compared to RE2.

I'm definitely not dropping 60 for this underdeveloped game.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So, not only they cut areas and other paths, it has noticeable less gore, less physics, and less touches compared to RE2.

Feel how you will about the areas missing from the original game, but the decreased gore and dismemberment physics have been speculated by several reviewers to be a conscious choice in order to allow the RE Engine to handle more enemies on screen at once in a more action-focused game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
it has noticeable less gore, less physics, and less touches compared to RE2.

Do u want more detail or better performance? RE2 had smaller environments and less enemies on screen than this game. And less AI complexity, (zombies in this change behavior based on number compared to RE2 where they were independent). At some point something has to be sacrificed. And I wouldn't say there's less attention to detail. Since they brought back the environmental hazards that you can exploit.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The first time I played the demo I didn't even realize I could perfect dodge or counter.

does the full game make sure you know about those moves?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who cares, the Metacritic for RE3 rose to 81, and there's still a number of unaccounted for reviews (like Game Informer's 9/10, IGN's 9/10, GameSpot's 6/10).

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can blame that on the terrible Jaguar CPU's on all the consoles. Not Capcom, their programmers or RE Engine's faults that PS4 and XB1 launched with below low end CPU's even for 2013. RE2 by comparison was much more confined in environments with fewer enemies

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
This feels so rushed and incomplete.

I wonder now if ther rumor about 2 and 3 remakes planned as a single release was true.
RE2 had the scenarios A/B really messed up, like if it was added as a second thought.
If you think of a single game with 3 fixed campaigns for Claire/Leon/Jill we would have enough content for great full game.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
REmake 3 was in development for 3 years. A random source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-3-remake-was-planned-for-a-while-say/1100-6474050/
Who knows about Resistance. The main MC is now @ 81/100 like some said. Just one point below the Kojima filth of last year! So much for our horror STONKS.
www.metacritic.com

Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3 for PlayStation 4 game reviews & Metacritic score: Fight your way to freedom from the brink of despair. A series of strange disappearances have been occurring in the American Midwest within a place called Racoon...
giphy.gif

Up next: The Square Enix STONKS. What´s the bar to clear there...

I encountered the Riot Gear zombies in Resistance who cost us a game towards the end. So at least the MP took them in. The main game doesn´t have them, I think. Haven´t seen the poisonous zombies anywhere.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited! Nice to see mostly great reviews. So will Xbox players be able to play early with the NZ trick tomorrow?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
RE3: Nemesis is missing the PSX original on MC but we got the Dreamcast, PC and NGC versions. 79, 71 and 62/100:

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Taking place on the day and night following the events of the first Resident Evil game but just before the second, Nemesis comes to the PC after a stops on the Playstation, continuing the series that made the survival horror genre.

Taking place on the day and night following the events of the first Resident Evil game but just before the second, Nemesis comes to the PC after a stops on the Playstation, continuing the series that made the survival horror genre.

tumblr_pev43rvFEn1w1qchqo3_250.gifv

residentfan

Mar 5, 2019
RE3: Nemesis is missing the PSX original on MC but we got the Dreamcast, PC and NGC versions. 79, 71 and 62/100:

Resident Evil 2 (1998) has similar, if not worse results in the same platforms. You really can't use any other version aside from the PS1 one in order to see the initial reception the game had.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
The only way to get HDR working in the demo on my PC is to unplug all monitors other than my HDR TV.

Apparently the game only checks the screen with the monitor ID #1, and if HDR isn't supported on that monitor the option is grayed out.

That sucks.

The HDR looks incredible on my LG C8 though. It'd be a shame to play without.

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
the HDR in the demo on my PS4 looks terrible and makes everything extremely bright, even when I set the brightness to the lowest setting possible

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
the HDR in the demo on my PS4 looks terrible and makes everything extremely bright, even when I set the brightness to the lowest setting possible

I think it looks great. Much more detail is visible in both highlights and shadows. Light sources are bright and punchy looking. Looks kind of dark and dull without hdr

Dec 6, 2017
US
I only recently got into PC gaming so only played RE2R on PS4. Was there any substantial modding going on for R2?

Wondering if some kind soul will mod the gore and physics from RE2R back in and maybe some other missing shit?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
This is a misconcept. The game was developed by a different team for at least 3 years. Not after RE2 was delivered. It was not rushed, it was bad decision making from my point of view.

I stand corrected!

The Gamespot review also just seems to reaffirms that many of the game's flaws come down to its game design decisions (too many action and bosses, and Nemesis mostly being relegated to setpieces). I'm still excited, but hopefully Capcom are paying close attention to the critical reception.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The PC and Dreamcast versions of RE3 releases exactly 12 months later after the PSX game in the US. That´s what happens if you let things stew.
Those scores came about around the time the talk of RE becoming stale started but that year´s scores for CV and 2001´s CVX reviews were still high. The PS2 port:

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X

In this fourth game of the "Resident Evil" series, Claire Redfield attempts to track down her brother Chris, who went missing during his investigation of the Umbrella Corp., which is responsible for those pesky zombie outbreaks throughout the series. It also comes complete with a playable demo...
REmake got a 91:
www.metacritic.com

Resident Evil (2002)

Resident Evil (2002) for GameCube game reviews & Metacritic score: Raccoon City has been completely overrun by mutant beasts and bloodthirsty zombies. You are a member of S.T.A.R.S.--a rescue squad sent into the community to in...
And Zero is at 83 which was THE moment the conversation changed for a hot second that Silent Hill is about the take the survival horror torch:

Resident Evil 0

Prequel to the game that started a multi-million dollar franchise, Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero exposes the back story and internal tyranny of the Umbrella Corporation and lets players discover the origins of the T-Virus in an epic storyline that tells the horrors leading up to the...
Member Silent Hill... Or when SH4 was seen as the "bad" one? Lol.

I too expect one small drop of DLC and maybe the PSX polygon outfits. Where are those? Even RE6 had them.
GS was announced 3 days before the launch of REmake 2, ok then:
wccftech.com

Resident Evil 2: The Ghost Survivors Free DLC Announced - Randomized Mode

The Ghost Survivors, a free DLC for Resident Evil 2, has been announced during the game's launch stream. It will have randomized elements.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

So:
- DC version: a PS1 game released one year after its initial release on a much powerful console without any big improvements; plus at that point CODE: Veronica was already on the market for few months
- PC version: a PS1 game released one year later on PC without any improvements; so you have: pixelated prerendered graphics, low-poly 3D models, a TPS that requires you to either use a gamepad or a keyboard -- all that in the year of 2000
- GameCube version: a 4 years old port of a PS1 game that was released a year after REmake -- yeah, that version (along with the RE2 port) was just send to die

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, we have the gamerankings page for the PSX version: it was an 88

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for PlayStation - GameRankings

For Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the PlayStation, GameRankings has 47 reviews, 27 cheat codes and secrets, and 0 screenshots.

Oct 31, 2017
With the apparently smaller scope of the single player in this compared to RE2, I wonder if there was any truth to the rumor from a few months ago that RE2 and RE3 Remakes were originally meant to be packaged together.

It doesn't seem smaller in scope to me as RE2 is a short game as well. And let's not forget how Capcom seemingly ditched the A/B scenarios in 2R.

The lack of choices/randomization + mercenaries is pretty disappointing though.

Releasing it a year after RE2 already indicated a short and rushed development, while including Resistance just indicated to me that the main campaign wasn't going to be as full of length and content as we'd all hoped.

3R got a longer dev cycle than 2R though ! :D

Last edited:

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
The game has been great so far! I'm one of the few people who enjoy scripted moments / set pieces, I think they work perfectly in RE3. Loving all the action and chaos, feels very different from RE2 but in a good way.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Yakuza 0 recently got a 90/100 on the Xbone. Not that it deserves that. It´s essentially a PS3 port from a 2015 game so the theory doesn´t hold water.

You say this FAILURE is your savior? RE3´s ratings from the year 2000 are essentially this:
dd2.jpg

RIP GameRankings. 1999-2019. MC owns them now. That´s where the older scores come from.

Edit: A funny bit from the intro to RE3´s wiki article, marked as a "good article":
Critics praised the game's detailed graphics and the Nemesis as an intimidating villain, but some criticized its short length and story.
Time is a flat circle.

Edit 2: Gamefaqs lists the original as 18.4 hours long! About that...

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for PlayStation - GameFAQs

For Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the PlayStation, GameFAQs has 62 guides and walkthroughs, 28 cheat codes and secrets, 59 reviews, 23 save games, and 356 user screenshots.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So:
- DC version: a PS1 game released one year after its initial release on a much powerful console without any big improvements; plus at that point CODE: Veronica was already on the market for few months
- PC version: a PS1 game released one year later on PC without any improvements; so you have: pixelated prerendered graphics, low-poly 3D models, a TPS that requires you to either use a gamepad or a keyboard -- all that in the year of 2000
- GameCube version: a 4 years old port of a PS1 game that was released a year after REmake -- yeah, that version (along with the RE2 port) was just send to die
Ultimately, yeah. But aside from being rendered at a higher resolution, all three have higher resolution backgrounds than the PSone version (480p vs 240p). PC has shaky polygons while the GC version has slightly improved character models and lighting. PC and GC have faster loading and the PC version lets you skip door animations.

To leap further ahead than this discussion: the higher res backgrounds help AI upscaling in a way doesn't quite work for RE2 (which never got higher res backgrounds):

Seamless_f.jpg

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great and I trust Capcom more than ERA hyperbole and meltdowns

Demo was fun, I don't care if it's shorter so long as it's fun. Length means nothing to me in RE.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Ultimately, yeah. But aside from being rendered at a higher resolution, all three have higher resolution backgrounds than the PSone version (480p vs 240p). PC has shaky polygons while the GC version has slightly improved character models and lighting. PC and GC have faster loading and the PC version lets you skip door animations.

I know, I've played the PC version back then. :) However, it's still nothing when compared to CV graphics on Dreamcast (yeah, the 3d graphics became dated very fast, but back then that was the shit), REmake on GameCube or basically any popular TPS on PC.

Also, background resolution was pretty inconsequential. I remember most backgrounds were high-res, but some were still low-res and some were a mix of both (I think the street leading to RPD gate was one of them), which was weird.

Edit: A funny bit from the intro to RE3´s wiki article, marked as a "good article":
Critics praised the game's detailed graphics and the Nemesis as an intimidating villain, but some criticized its short length and story.
Time is a flat circle

No one says the game wasn't short. It's just the game offered a lot of replayability due to branching paths, randomized puzzles/enemies/items, two endings, 5+ costumes for Jill, Mercenaries, and Epilogue files to collect (which, for RE fans back then, was something important since it allowed you to learn what happened to each character after RE2/RE3 while we waited for the next game).

Last edited:

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Yakuza 0 recently got a 90/100 on the Xbone. Not that it deserves that. It´s essentially a PS3 port from a 2015 game so the theory doesn´t hold water.

You say this FAILURE is your savior? RE3´s ratings from the year 2000 are essentially this:
dd2.jpg

RIP GameRankings. 1999-2019. MC owns them now. That´s where the older scores come from.

Time is a flat circle.

Edit 2: Gamefaqs lists the original as 18.4 hours long! About that...

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for PlayStation - GameFAQs

For Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the PlayStation, GameFAQs has 62 guides and walkthroughs, 28 cheat codes and secrets, 59 reviews, 23 save games, and 356 user screenshots.

Yeah, I remember Nemesis being higly criticised back in the day. It only became some sort of fan-favorite in the last decade. Before that, the only thing I was seeing about the game was that it "began the downfall of Resident Evil" and that it was short, annoying and with a lame story.

Of course, that doesn't mean it was "true", just that some games need some time to grow on some people. That's probably what's going to happen with the Remake too.

Like you said, Time is a flat circle.

dist

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot, the game has more action than RE2, but not that much. It is lacking in the puzzle department, I can't remember a single one to be quite honest (I don't count using a cassette tape to use the voice of the doctor or using the fire hose to extinguish a fire a fucking puzzle).

I beat the game in a little less then 6 hours.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot, the game has more action than RE2, but not that much. It is lacking in the puzzle department, I can't remember a single one to be quite honest (I don't count using a cassette tape to use the voice of the doctor or using the fire hose to extinguish a fire a fucking puzzle).

I beat the game in a little less then 6 hours.
6 hours of gameplay or including cutscenes?
If you are looking into the result screen, you should take into account the number at the top right.

dist

Oct 31, 2017
6 hours of gameplay or including cutscenes?
If you are looking into the result screen, you should take into account the number at the top right.

6 hours of gameplay, the other on top right was above 10 hours, but I spent a lot of time in pause, the cutscenes should be like 30 minutes total.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
And back down to reality with an 80/100.
tenor.gif

Poor performance indeed.

In other news. I finally survived Resistance so I won both modes now. Beta over then. Headsets make all the difference. Will the magic bucks I made go somewhere? Probably not.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one says the game wasn't short. It's just the game offered a lot of replayability due to branching paths, randomized puzzles/enemies/items, two endings, 5+ costumes for Jill, Mercenaries, and Epilogue files to collect (which, for RE fans back then, was something important since it allowed you to learn what happened to each character after RE2/RE3 while we waited for the next game).
See, this is something that people saying the length is the same as the original, keep forgetting.

The game was short but you can't experience everything it has to offer in just 6 or so hours. There are plenty of stuff you have to replay the game to see and there were tons of unlockables including the shop from the new game (with no buff coins and stuff like speed run items).

Meanwhile the remake has nothing other than some challenges (kill this zombie with this gun, dodge for a number of times etc etc) and purchasable items like buff coins or infinite ammo guns and items that help with speed running. There is also the harder difficulities that appearently changes some items and enemy placements but even that isn't new and was more dynamic in the old game.

A lot of reviews even the ones that thought the length was fine were asking for something more like side modes and stuff to do. It is a legit criticism and pointing out the original game could be beaten in 6 hours is pointless due to the above.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Probably going to end up at 79-80 judging from RE2's 85 reviews. There's still around 20 more reviews left.
comment_lnlptlsuigbbak3rmz3kaakr7owyzxfz.jpg

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
There are more than 30 minutes of pure cutscenes and there is scripted stuff on top of that. I wonder shorts these can gen if you leg it.
About the same amount as cutscenes one REmake 2 run has, maybe a tiny bit more? There are also environmental comments and so on.

The original breaks down to about 37 minutes of cutscenes as I only notice the missing intro comic that lasts a minute. The decisions are mostly negligible but let´s just say 40 to 45 min tops if you factor it ALL:

The VAs are technically better than in the other 3 PSX games if you average the English scripts and actors out but the "upgrade" just turns it into a shit 90s OVA dub.
I take pure incompetence (even most of RE2 sounds otherworldy) any day over that! Parts of Rev 1 really reached back to the "glory" days of old though. That´s what an uncredited (!) dub will get you. Keith & Quint, you know who, are unknown to this day. Lol.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I ended up canceling my preorder on PSN. I cant justify paying 80 dollars for this especially right now with finances taking a hit.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
When is the OT going up?