• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue here is that there isn't much mileage if you don't like Resistance. And chances are good you won't like it. If this had something like Mercs Reunion, a 4th survivor ish mode and other stuff I would've get it without hesistation.

But this was planned to be bundled with RE2 right? I've read that. So that would explain the haphazard Resistance mode being created to justify it as a full priced solo release.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
Mmn-hmn, though let me clarify, what I shared originally was the concept was to have a more explorable Raccoon City, not open world, but to have a good portion of the city be explorable.
Rephrased to provide better context, but I reckon you posted a few times at twitter that in a sense, the train would be used to explore optional areas (open-world in this context, not literally, also it was said the city would be more explorable than the original). Then the story would be completely linear as the player progressed after a certain point.

www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 3 announced (April 3rd 2020, PS4/Xbox/PC)

The first half of the game will be semi-open world, not full open world but there's a lot to explore. You can explore a big chunk of Raccoon City and there's completely optional areas and things to do, and various paths through the city to take as you're pursued by Nemesis. Once you get the...

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the review scores that are chilling, it's the egregious cut areas/content, the short length, and the lack of extra modes (Resistance is not a replacement for Mercenaries).

I know a lot of RE games are short, but RE7 was 10 hours on a first playthrough, RE2 remake warranted at least two playthroughs with some important differences (not A/B different from the original game, but still enough for even casual players to play it twice) that came to 12-14 hours, Revelations 2 was 12+ hours long not even considering the bonus DLC chapters and Raid mode. RE4 is also a 20 hour game too.

There are lengthier RE games, so it's a bummer this game is short, has no story variation for replays like RE2 or the original RE3, and also no bonus modes at all.

Oh sure I get that, I was only referring to some especially ludicrous posts, not the entire thread, should have been clearer.

This has to be trolling at this point. Literally no one complained about the review scores themselves the past half dozen pages. Only people mentioned it are people like you who just go "LOL SO CHILDISH COMPLAINING ABOUT 8/'10"

No, it's not about the score, its about the actual content of the reviews, and how disappointing certain of the aspects of the game are that are described by them.
Sure, a lot of people have been talking about that but I've "literally" seen posts in here accusing reviewers of rushing the game so their playtime is wrong, calling an 8/10 a flop, calling it a crummy game they hope doesn't get ported, saying they won't get it till its on sale, etc. By the thread, I did not mean EVERY Post. "literally".

Regarding the actual reviews? Well we'll wait and see but the overall slant is positive. I pre-ordered it ages ago and quite enjoyed the demo so shall give it a go anyway. I'm not a purist and am not too worried if it's not identical as long as it's fun. Each to their own.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure I get that, I was only referring to some especially ludicrous posts, not the entire thread, should have been clearer.

Sure, a lot of people have been talking about that but I've "literally" seen posts in here accusing reviewers of rushing the game so their playtime is wrong, calling an 8/10 a flop, calling it a crummy game they hope doesn't get ported, saying they won't get it till its on sale, etc. By the thread, I did not mean EVERY Post. "literally".

Regarding the actual reviews? Well we'll wait and see but the overall slant is positive. I pre-ordered it ages ago and quite enjoyed the demo so shall give it a go anyway. I'm not a purist and am not too worried if it's not identical as long as it's fun. Each to their own.

What's wrong about saying you won't get a game until it's on sale?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
In Retrospect, both REmake2&3 seem like they had to total Budget of one expansive AAA game shared between them and Resistance.

If this ends up being actually true, I'd be more understanding of the compromises made for RE2 and RE3 Remakes, but hella disappointed. Both of the original games were beloved, and should have had their own budgets and time to expand on the original. Its the curse of doing any kind of remaster or remake of a famous game. My reaction for RE3 Remake is more critical since I realized how underwhelmed I felt with RE2 Remake after the hype and elan died down.

I am half petrified about any other game remakes from Capcom given their attitudes regarding content and gameplay for both of these games. Resident Evil 4 is literally genius in a bottle, and I don't see Capcom maintaining that. We also had both the original RE4, Mercenaries and a side story with the original GameCube release. You think Capcom is going to do any of that with a remake? They have a hard enough time keeping the original content for their games.

I'd only trust a RE4 remake if they brought Mikami back.

It's not going to happen, and I'm still somewhat peeved at Mikami if the rumors of him asking the team behind RE3 Remake to tone down the violence. Capcom has already shown that they are going to change substantial portions of their original games, and I am not supportive after two releases.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
First playthrough for RE2 took me about 9.5 hours.
I'm expecting my first playthrough for RE3 to be around 6 to 7.

I'm counting on more enemies, weapons, and difficulty(someone said there are two additional difficulties above Pro) to give me about 40-50 hours play time by the time I'm done with it.

I do hope they add dlc content like they did for RE7, and RE2. Ghost Survivor, and Nit A Hero were pretty nice additions.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and get the Mercenaries Mode in there.

I wish they'd make a tab where they put all reviews together, regardless if it's a system specific magazine.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Rephrased to provide better context, but I reckon you posted a few times at twitter that in a sense, the train would be used to explore optional areas (open-world in this context, not literally, also it was said the city would be more explorable than the original). Then the story would be completely linear as the player progressed after a certain point.

www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 3 announced (April 3rd 2020, PS4/Xbox/PC)

The first half of the game will be semi-open world, not full open world but there's a lot to explore. You can explore a big chunk of Raccoon City and there's completely optional areas and things to do, and various paths through the city to take as you're pursued by Nemesis. Once you get the...
Mmn-hmn, and as part of the game design document and what was being made, that is true. I think at some point they narrowed it off more honestly, but you can still explore a number of optional shops and such in the final game. They ultimately went for a more linear experience though with some things off the beaten path.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. RE3 was the side-game, and should've been called RE2.5:Nemesis. CV was the proper RE sequel and should've been RE3.
And yet RE3 was the game to actually move the series gameplay forward. RE3 was the game that added ammo crafting. RE3 was the game that added an element of precedural items. RE3 was the game that added players choices to change the story. RE3 was the game that added a dodge mechanic. RE3 was the game that added the quick turn. RE3 was the game that made moving on stairs smooth. RE3 was the game with a stalker enemy unlike anything the series had seen before.

What did Code Veronica add again? Other than bad level design, bad enemy design and a hilariously bad story I mean.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
Mmn-hmn, and as part of the game design document and what was being made, that is true. I think at some point they narrowed it off more honestly, but you can still explore a number of optional shops and such in the final game. They ultimately went for a more linear experience though with some things off the beaten path.
Yes. That is a shame. It would have been a perfect scenario if they went the route of semi-open world, with optional locations and using the train as a hub. I wonder what happened :( To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they decided to delay the game to Sep 28th (pun intended) and work on the missing or extra locations... I don't know. Well, at least we have a Remake... what makes me sad is the wasted opportunity to make it a stellar product.

I don't mind a linear story, I was just hoping to really get to explore the city and all it's dangers with ocassionaly non-scripted pursuits.

EDIT: Anyways, thank you for sharing and teasing us with informations. I am perfectly aware that things change during projects. I am just sad that RE3 got the short end of the stick.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone knows of any other method to get into contact with PSN to cancel a pre-order, that'd be pretty cool 😅

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Yeah how dare a game come out with only a 6-7 hour campaign...lol

howlongtobeat.com

How long is Resident Evil 3: Nemesis? | HowLongToBeat

How long is Resident Evil 3: Nemesis? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!
That game also had:
- randomized puzzles and enemies location
- branching paths (including one optional boss battle)
- 7 (or more) outfits for Jill to unlock
- an unlockable Mercenaries mode
- 8 Epilogue Files to unlock

So even if the campaign itself was short, you could still replay the game a couple of times and still have something new to experience.

Plus, reports say that RE3R is shorter than 6-7 and quite easy on normal difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Resistance going to be a separate download(on Steam) or included in the RE3 file?

I really wish it was a Mercenaries mode instead of whatever the hell that is.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I get that people are upset that the game is short, but yall shouldn't sleep on the multiplayer mode.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I knew Jim would make a toilet paper joke. Such a shame he makes so much negative content! Only a Top 5 of the year contender? Not gud enough, sorry.
They even cut Chungus? Sad times.

The MP Beta is good btw. Like a 7/10 contender on the lower end. We´ll see.

Dec 7, 2018
Eh, not totally surprised about the scores, I knew they would have a very hard time balancing Nemesis capabilities for modern gameplay.

Big Disappointment for the cut areas, but I hear they added new ones, so I'll reserve judgement until I play it.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Jim showed off Nemi with a rocket launcher so it´s not just the one running away bit where he has it. We knew it was 99% confirmed to be a part of his roaming arsenal but there you go. 100% confirmed. He gave it a "8 point 10 A B". A score one can trust.

It will be funny when half the people who cry out about specific "cuts" are proven wrong on a larger stage that those elements are still in the game. Like the mines. They actually work now.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
That's contrary to what I've heard a lot of others say. I'll try to fit in some time with the beta between playing Persona 5 Royal, but it looked fun to me. Just with anything your mileage may vary of course.
It's pretty fun to me, no idea about the longevity of it seems like the kind of game where cheesy strats will become dominant, but I had a blast last night.

Oct 25, 2017
And yet RE3 was the game to actually move the series gameplay forward. RE3 was the game that added ammo crafting. RE3 was the game that added an element of precedural items. RE3 was the game that added players choices to change the story. RE3 was the game that added a dodge mechanic. RE3 was the game that added the quick turn. RE3 was the game that made moving on stairs smooth. RE3 was the game with a stalker enemy unlike anything the series had seen before.

What did Code Veronica add again? Other than bad level design, bad enemy design and a hilariously bad story I mean.

Everything you said I agree with, but he's right. Resident evil CV was actually going to be called Re3 until Sony requested RE3 on the psx and the Dreamcast game be called something else.

Oct 27, 2017
That game also had:
- randomized puzzles and enemies location
- branching paths (including one optional boss battle)
- 7 (or more) outfits for Jill to unlock
- an unlockable Mercenaries mode
- 8 Epilogue Files to unlock

So even if the campaign itself was short, you could still replay the game a couple of times and still have something new to experience.

Plus, reports say that RE3R is shorter than 6-7 and quite easy on normal difficulty.

From my understanding (based on the Easy Allies review) RE3 remake has unlockable weapons and outfits, plus there's a whole multiplayer mode as well. Obviously quality is subjective but I can't agree with the idea that RE3 should not be $60.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
From my understanding (based on the Easy Allies review) RE3 remake has unlockable weapons and outfits, plus there's a whole multiplayer mode as well. Obviously quality is subjective but I can't agree with the idea that RE3 should not be $60.

I'm not saying it's not worth it. I'm just disappointed that they cut features that RE3 was known for and that actually increased replayability and replaced them with nothing. If the game is fun I will probably play it more than once, but knowing everything there is to known after a single playthrough is sad.

RE2R at least had the 2nd run mode which was a sort of arrange mode - you start inn a different location, have a different base weapon, enemies and item locations are changed, and you are chased by Mr. X from the very beginning. If a similar mode was available in RE3 I would be happy.

And Resistance, which is a tacked on multiplayer game which is reported to be pretty meh, is not a good replacement for what's not there.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I've just seen a team made an HD mode for Resident Evil 3 GameCube on Dolphin. It's going to be a good evening.

People saying it was an average RE game don't know what they're talking about.

Sep 14, 2018
RE2R at least had the 2nd run mode which was a sort of arrange mode - you start inn a different location, have a different base weapon, enemies and item locations are changed, and you are chased by Mr. X from the very beginning. If a similar mode was available in RE3 I would be happy.

It is, 2 of the 5 difficulties do this.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it's not worth it. I'm just disappointed that they cut features that RE3 was known for and that actually increased replayability and replaced them with nothing. If the game is fun I will probably play it more than once, but knowing everything there is to known after a single playthrough is sad.

And Resistance, which is a tacked on multiplayer game which is reported to be pretty meh, is not a good replacement for what's not there.
There's new areas so they didn't add nothing. And I've only read a handful of negative impressions of the multiplayer mode, so I can't agree with that last bit. Here at least the thread is almost all positive surprisingly.

Mar 19, 2020
The multiplayer mode has a lot of potential but the latency is terrible if one person has a bad connection. The mechanics are poorly explained to players too. I havent won a single game as a survivor and have won every match as the mastermind. I wont deny I had fun but it needs work.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised at the scores. I never expected them to match RE2:R just because the original RE2 was always a better game than RE3 but still surprised they didn't do more with RE3:R

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
It's the same thing with RE2R. Lots of people didn't like it, I though it was a good decision. The shoot them in the head zombie trope doesn't translate well to video games. You'd end up clearing the entire police department with two clips. :P

I know, and I no longer own RE2Remake.

That's why game devs have to think outside the box, instead of just making them a bullet sponge, change things up. Zombies in swat gear, zombies reappearing, etc...there are so many windows so it would be easy to say more zombies got in, even if it is just one after X event. I know they poured in towards the end but wasn't enough. It just made the zombies feel like nuisances than a real threat. The game needed more of a threat than the T man.

Oct 27, 2017

Does no one want to live through this, but with the re-engine?

I know I'm not alone, don't lie.

You are not alone, I got you. My favorite RE game. Not for that reason, but still.

I actually wonder how they would handle the Ashford's In a remake considering they're going for a more grounded direction. Grounded is a term I'm using loosely here but I think you get the idea.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I know, and I no longer own RE2Remake.

That's why game devs have to think outside the box, instead of just making them a bullet sponge, change things up. Zombies in swat gear, zombies reappearing, etc...there are so many windows so it would be easy to say more zombies got in, even if it is just one after X event. I know they poured in towards the end but wasn't enough. It just made the zombies feel like nuisances than a real threat. The game needed more of a threat than the T man.

I felt the same regarding zombies. Making them dangerous was a great change from the rest of the series, but they were damn annoying and cheap. The fact that people had to cheese shooting them in the legs to stun them but a shot in the head was a slot machine gamble didn't sit well with me. Don't even get me started on their ridiculous and magnetic grab animation that almost always draws and accurate beat on your ass.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland