• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer is, at the end of the day no one will care. The original is barely anyone's favorite, fans will move on to worrying about CV, RE1 and 4 and speculate about RE8 and the rumored 2021 and 2022 titles, and the remake will review and sell well enough that Capcom won't care either.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
If you mean the $50 price point some places have at random times, that's something nearly every game does. You could also get Animal Crossing New Horizons, Persona 5, and Doom Eternal for $50 a few days ago and all are 90+ OC games.

Very fair point. I was just calling out that one of the first things I noticed about the game was that it was immediately discounted for pre order (especially on PC with various discounts) and a lack of deluxe edition. I'm still personally excited for the game, having paid both the discounted pc price as well as the CE for Xbox, but I'm in the niche market of absolutely loving the gameplay loop based on what I experienced in the demo (and not being upset at cut content). I was just stating that I'm surprised that there are so many comments of those canceling pre-orders from what appears to be a full priced payment, when the game has been discounted so frequently.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If they get it right, they'll cut the moth room, some backtracking stuff, alter the inventory after zapping, alter the tyrant and steve battles. Change bandersnatches, those weak piece of shits. And overhaul Steve. Its not going to fly with this Claire, esp. not since she'll be even more experienced by CV's time.

I do wonder if we really want RE4 Remake though? Imagine the cuts and changes.

There's no reason to think RE4 Remake would have major cuts and changes.

The fact that RE3 did has no baring on what would happen with RE4. RE3 is the least "iconic" of the original 4 numbered Resident Evil games and Capcom -- rightly or wrongly -- thought that they could cut things/make larger changes.

They won't do that with RE4.

(C:V should come first of course.)

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread those magazine details were released in is less than a month old. The game was done.

I know, but just wondering if they based those details in some very old build or something. Is probably they just throw some random rumors and tried to make it past as a proper preview, just thinking about all the possibilities.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Makes you think capcom internally views RE3 similar to how the narrative is on the internet with the level of respect that gave to this remake lol.

This hurts, but yeah.

Also i think people underestimate RE3's popularity. There's a reason Nemesis is probably the most recognizable BOW in the franchise, with all the cameos and appearances in games like Marvel vs Capcom and stuff, because sure you guys love re2 but no licker is getting the stellar spot like Nemesis does, always.

I can't with the
lack of clock tower,
that section was so atmospheric, ominous and perfect. Fuck this.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with the cost of making game's rising each generation, it's impossible to get something like RE4 again unless they split it into parts. It sucks, but that's what I think, that or they can spend an ungodly amount of time and resources to create a proper remake of RE4.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I was ready to make some concessions, but I wasn't ready for the opening city portion to be less than twenty percent of a five hour game and even less Nemesis than the original.

Oct 25, 2017
In Retrospect, both REmake2&3 seem like they had to total Budget of one expansive AAA game shared between them and Resistance.
Yeah, this seems very likely.

RE3 in a way feels like the Dark Souls III of RE, in that it's unfair to say it's just reusing assets from Bloodborne because the game wasn't put together in a year, so they're more like shared assets, but because Bloodborne started development earlier, it's clear that these assets were made with it in mind, and Dark Souls III is the one that had to be designed around them.

Applying the same logic to RE, 3 clearly got the short end of the "this is the total budget we have for both games' levels" stick. When it came time to use the available assets to make up for the areas they had to cut, the only ones they could justify becoming a brand new level without feeling like blatant RE2 rehash were the sewers.

And now that I think about it, level variety was also a universal criticism of DMC5. I start to wonder if that's a limitation to their RE Engine pipeline and the resources Capcom has available. I didn't play it yet, but from all the gifs, Monster Hunter World, a MT Framework game, doesn't seem to share the issues. I don't think photorealistic cutscenes (because in gameplay you just see their backs) is worth the trade off, if that's the case.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wish there was a chance of DLC for the Clock Tower area with spiders, boss battle with Nemesis and the puzzle (reworked) included but alas looking at RE2's DLC, that won't be happening.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Those magazine details were supposed to be a preview. Not sure of they lied, was a very old build, was based in rumors or what, but if wasn't just some random forum post... At least it shouldn't have.
The article itself doesn't seem very far-fetched, for the most part. I'd chalk it up partly due to a genuine misinterpretation by the OP in the case of enemies and fast travel, as well as an overly generous interpretation of parts of what they wrote. I can see how someone could read too much into parts of what the writer of the article and the producer conveyed. At the same time, it also vaguely foreshadows some of the complaints in the reviews.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man, why the fuck don't retailers in the US start selling games early when almost every major region in the world is ..

this is some buuuulshit.

Oct 27, 2017
The streets being basically what they show in the demo is almost unbelievable. The original game was limited by The time it came out and the tech limitations that went along with it, so if there was ever a time to expand the ideas into something way more dynamic and interesting this would've been it. It makes me wonder if this was almost treated as a budget title of sorts, something piggybacking off the development of the last game.

If it's true that the gore is different as well, like it isn't tge in the last one in terms of zombie dismemberment, that's even more baffling. Why wouldn't you just take what worked there and make the transition over, then expand the ideas the original game could never get to?

I'm still going to get it and I'm sure I'm still going to love it because I love everything the series offers even when it craps the bed, but it just seems like a series of odd choices.
Code Veronica aint that bad. Steve salvages the game pretty well.

This post is a roller coaster ride of motion for me.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized IGN's RE3 Review isn't on Metacritic yet, along with a number of reviews.

WTF?

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's the usual hyperbolic childish madness I expect from a game that got an 8/10 here people hyped themselves to high heaven about....

It's not the review scores that are chilling, it's the egregious cut areas/content, the short length, and the lack of extra modes (Resistance is not a replacement for Mercenaries).

I know a lot of RE games are short, but RE7 was 10 hours on a first playthrough, RE2 remake warranted at least two playthroughs with some important differences (not A/B different from the original game, but still enough for even casual players to play it twice) that came to 12-14 hours, Revelations 2 was 12+ hours long not even considering the bonus DLC chapters and Raid mode. RE4 is also a 20 hour game too.

There are lengthier RE games, so it's a bummer this game is short, has no story variation for replays like RE2 or the original RE3, and also no bonus modes at all.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
They should've remade CV instead, I know I know it's not universally loved but it trounces RE3 imo, and the music is epic, some of best melodies in any RE game, plus it's sizable with a nice mixture of environments, characters, weapons and bosses.

Still, RE3 is arriving on Friday because it still looks fantastic, and I'm sure it will be a blast to play.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's the usual hyperbolic childish madness I expect from a game that got an 8/10 here people hyped themselves to high heaven about....
This has to be trolling at this point. Literally no one complained about the review scores themselves the past half dozen pages. Only people mentioned it are people like you who just go "LOL SO CHILDISH COMPLAINING ABOUT 8/'10"

No, it's not about the score, its about the actual content of the reviews, and how disappointing certain of the aspects of the game are that are described by them.

Oct 27, 2017

Jim's tastes align extremely closely with my own, especially when it comes to horror games. He is a lot more positive on RE3 than I was expecting, and more positive than the relatively modest expectations I'd set even before the reviews landed.

I think RE3 will inevitably find its groove. This won't ever be considered as good as RE2 and some will even consider it "forgettable", but I'm expecting an extremely solid RE game to round off what's been a really good trilogy of remakes.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Game Informer's 9 is also not on the site, and that I don't think is a review in progress. I'm a bit confused of Metacritic's handling here.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
Don't remember where that early talk came from, but definitely set up very wrong expectations.

Not sure why this didn't stay in the oven 1 year more and make it even cross-gen. There wasn't any need to release it so soon after RE2. Unless this was planned as REmake 2 DLC and Cacpcom said:'Maybe we can sell it for 60 bucks if we add some tackled on MP mode'.
From Dusk himself. He said several times via twitter that the train would be used to access optional areas and before proceeding with the main story, we could visit optional locations.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably a mistake to release it just one year after Resident Evil 2. For all I know about the franchise Resident Evil 3 was always considered way weaker than 2 and the remake should have been more expansive than what we got.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Those magazine details were supposed to be a preview. Not sure of they lied, was a very old build, was based in rumors or what, but if wasn't just some random forum post... At least it shouldn't have.

The thread those magazine details were released in is less than a month old. The game was done.

That magazine has been shut down too, so I guess we won't find out.

It turns out a lot of what was posted wasn't in the actual article verbatim.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/to...e-rooms-are-safe.173628/page-11#post-30381975