• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's honestly baffling that capcom thought this would be enough. especially after making one of the best games of the whole gen with re2.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom with the heat check. This is Steph Curry pulling up from 40 feet out, not a great shot, but they been on a hot streak so fuck it.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're not going to treat a game with the care and respect it deserves then you shouldn't be remaking it. Do something original instead.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All that early talk of "semi-open world" RE for us to be met with this harsh reality.

Don't remember where that early talk came from, but definitely set up very wrong expectations.

If you're not going to treat a game with the care and respect it deserves then you shouldn't be remaking it. Do something original instead.

Not sure why this didn't stay in the oven 1 year more and make it even cross-gen. There wasn't any need to release it so soon after RE2. Unless this was planned as REmake 2 DLC and Cacpcom said:'Maybe we can sell it for 60 bucks if we add some tackled on MP mode'.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing, which surprises me. I was impressed they were doing the remake only a year after RE2 but I guess it's now apparent how. I wish they'd taken a little more time and made something that is unequivocally great instead of a cut-back reimagining.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Same here. I played RE4 on the PS2 and found the controls clunky. Then, I tried REmake on the PS4 and couldn't stand the tank controls, the puzzles and the spongy enemies. I know RE 2 remake corrects many of those personal hindrances, but also maintains the puzzles and structure of the past.

RE3 remake seems it has some of the strengths of the 2 remake, but even lighter for someone like me. I know there are even more actiony RE games, but those don't seem as good in general.

Oh, I know that. It just never clicked.

I dunno, I get that limited ammo and puzzles might not be your thing, but they're really not that bad in RE2 imo. The limited ammo especially makes the game really tense and a breath of fresh air compared to your standard TPS. And maybe what I liked best is the non-linear, expansive labyrinth that is the police station you have to navigate. These reviews saying RE3 is comparatively a linear action romp is a huge bummer to me.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's apparently true. You return to this area a few times to unlock stores for stuff but that's the majority of the city exploration. After that it's sewers and mostly indoors.

See, even if you put aside the scores and not counting the rest of cut content - this ''remake'' sounds quite disappointing. Who wasn't excited to explore the streets of RC and being chased there by Nemesis?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The demo being the majority of Raccoon City's streets is absolutely true. There's a couple of one off linear alleyways and
you revisit a section used in the RE2 remake
that's basically it

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The demo being the majority of Raccoon City's streets is absolutely true. There's a couple of one off linear alleyways and
that's basically it
That's ridiculous. I don't get why they even decided to remake RE3 over making something new if this was going to be their approach to it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember where that early talk came from, but definitely set up very wrong expectations.
Some of the early "details" are a lot more...excessive than I remembered.

Talk about an active imagination.
-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.
-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
did they at least remake generally all the stuff from RE3?
Cant believe they cut the park/clock tower/dead factory..

I really thought of all the og RE games this one was most ripe for completely expanding on the city.. not cutting it down.

I'm still day one but yeah, both these remakes are disappointing in their own ways, REmake still feels like the ultimate remake that replaces the OG game.

This is a shame to hear. At minimum you'd want everything from RE3--to actually detract from it? Crazy.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the review aggregate that has me bummed out about this game, but the content of the reviews.

I've already played the majority of the raccoon city segment with the demo. A large part of my excitement was the prospect of nemesis being a Mr X like presence in a fleshed out racoon city.

I'll wait to pick this one up cheap.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
that's basically it
This actually broke my heart. Fuck. I think I'm canceling my pre-order... I could use 60 on anything else.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That article sounded like music, but the actual game isn't like that. I think it'll be fun, but I don't expect much mileage. I hated Resistance. Still buy it day one as a fan

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that's basically it
Wait what. lol

I already thought the demo was unusually short and small.

*sigh* Guess I replay RE2make instead and wait for a massive price drop here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
that's basically it

Oh man that stings...
Semi Open-World Raccoon City with persistent Nemesis would have been the way to go.
I think I´ll pick it up cheap later on.

Makes you wonder if the REngine isn´t made for large open spaces, at least on current hardware and their original plans had to be changed.

HTonon

Mar 26, 2020
Brazil
I remember when all these outlets first played the demo that eventually got to us, and started reporting that the game would have some sort of a 'fast travel' system with the subway going from place to place in the city LMAO

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Some of the early "details" are a lot more...excessive than I remembered.

Talk about an active imagination.

The game described there and the final product looks like 2 totally different games. What happened here? Did we get bullshitted?

Definitely remember being excited by those details.I wonder what happened...

The magazine is wrong. didn't capcom confirm about nemesis can't enter the safe room?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I have a lot less confidence in Capcom's new RE team now, they have the tendency to cut things out in remakes and they clearly gone way overboard this time.

They cut out the B routes (ACTUAL B routes), big spiders, red poison Ivy, green super licker and the giant moth in RE2 Remake. They almost cut out the alligator too.
Now they are cutting out literally core values out of RE3 such as decision making, multiple endings and good areas like Clock Tower & Park.

The new RE team is also obsessed with realistic hollywood visual style as you can tell from Jill's generic outfit and Nemesis ''realistic'' design, but that's subjective.

I am sure RE3 is ok but they f*cked up, there's no other way to put it. RE3 disappoints compared to the original.

Last edited:

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Makes you think capcom internally views RE3 similar to how the narrative is on the internet with the level of respect that gave to this remake lol.

Oct 27, 2017
that's basically it

Wtf. The demo tool me about 45 minutes to complete and I really took my time looking at the graphics and backtracking - and that's a large chunk of game? Wow.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The magazine is wrong. didn't capcom confirm about nemesis can't enter the safe room?

Is weird because

some reviewer said it happened to him, so it seems it might be some kind of scripted sequence when one safe room becomes unavailable for a short time for Nemesis to pop up. That's where the confusion might be.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
If you're looking for a semi-open world horror game and you haven't played The Evil Within 2 yet, maybe this is the time.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I also hate how RE3 is literally reusing all the assets from RE2 which is literally using tons of assets from RE7

The whole package just feels like a giant mod/DLC to me, and I hate to say this but I get this feeling that they are trying to cut corners when it comes to elements like multiple ending/outcome/choices. Almost like they are low on budget or something.

RE2's ''B routes'' also felt incredibly disappointing compared to the original B route, that gave me the same ''cut corner'' feeling as well.

Wasn't REmake3 longer in development than 2?

I don't care if it's official, I don't believe that for a second.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to replay OG. I have it on my PS account, but Sony doesn't want us to play these oldies on PS4. Too bad i don't have a PS3/Vita anymore.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I'll def pick it up but I was in no way surprised it didnt score as highly as the remake of 2. It's always been a "good" entry in the series but it always felt a bit like a step backwards compared to RE 2

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I also hate how RE3 is literally reusing all the assets from RE2 which is literally using tons of assets from RE7

The whole package just feels like a giant mod/DLC to me, and I hate to say this but I get this feeling that they are trying to cut corners when it comes to elements like multiple ending/outcome/choices. Almost like they are low on budget or something.

RE2's ''B routes'' also felt incredibly disappointing compared to the original B route, that gave me the same ''cut corner'' feeling as well.

I don't care if it's official, I don't believe that for a second.

Yeah it feels like after Monster Hunter, Resi7 and DMC5, REmake2+3 was supposed to close the gen out as a single package. This would also explain the cut corners in each individual game.

Right now, nothing really adds up regarding development time and scope.

It's also really sad because now we won't get a RE3 Remake for quite a while or never that makes use of the potential of a semi open world Raccoon city. Instead we'll probably only get ports of this game from now on.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Man, what a huge disappointment... especially after RE2Remake.

RE3, welcome to "top 5 most disappointing releases this generation" list.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The B routes on RE2 Remake clearly it's add on late development. no idea why

It was clearly not their priority which with all due respect shows that they didn't really get the original RE2, at least they didn't get what makes it so replayable.

The A route is fantastic and I still think RE2 is my GOTY of 2019, but that cookie cutter B route stops it from being in my TOP 3 Resident Evil (which is RE4, REmake & RE2 '98)

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
When the game was revealed I was hoping they would have like a semi open world design during the city segments with the Nemesis stalking you randomly or set moments before going down a more liner path in the later parts. When that looked like it was not happening I at least hope they'd expand upon RE2 and make it slightly longer.

Now its looks like neither of those are happening. I'll still get it later on but it wont be for a long while I think.