• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So why the hell does it matter when it's your personal favorite? Who gives a shit that some people didn't like it if you loved it? Isn't that the most important thing in the end?

There's a very vocal minority on this forum that keeps insisting that Uncharted 4 has bad pacing, but screw them. I thought the pacing suited the new style of direction for the game and was a great evolution for the series and actually felt The Lost Legacy regressed to the more action packed Uncharted 2 style direction. Shouldn't your own opinion tower way above others?

Lost legacy after the intro is definitely not like uncharted 2.

And I say this as someone who loves U4 and have huge issues with 1 2 3.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Remember that reviewers rush through games to meet deadlines. 5 hours for a crunching reviewer is realistically more like 10 hours for the average person playing at their leisure.
This isn't a set rule at all. I've seen reviews calling games I finished in 2 hours 'about 4-5 hours long', while others they've critiqued the game being too short while it's taken me much longer to play.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In the process of playing doom, death stranding and just dropping odyssey its going to be a breath of fresh air to play a shorter game that I know for fact I'm going to replay.

Pretty much

I'm nearing 40 and have family ties. I know different strokes and all, but when people say a game is 40-60 hours that's more of a drag than a draw - it means a couple of months of committment to my gaming time.

For stuff like FFVII-R I'll make the exception to long length titles, but in recent years i'm finding myself more and more sidestepping well reviewed open world titles that take up 40 hours because I just want short sharp bursts and variety

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's a AAA game and got an 84.

So flop.
Please be trolling.

Pretty much

I'm nearing 40 and have family ties. I know different strokes and all, but when people say a game is 40-60 hours that's more of a drag than a draw - it means a couple of months of committment to my gaming time.

For stuff like FFVII-R I'll make the exception to long length titles, but in recent years i'm finding myself more and more sidestepping well reviewed open world titles that take up 40 hours because I just want short sharp bursts and variety
The thing is that you don't need to rush through longer games. If last gen's games were structured to emulate movies, then this gen's games are structured to emulate tv shows. With the expectation that you'll be watching/playing over a longer period of time.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lost legacy after the intro is definitely not like uncharted 2.

And I say this as someone who loves U4 and have huge issues with 1 2 3.
Not the thread for this, but I meant it has a more light hearted adventure tone compared to Uncharted 4 with its more serious, nuanced tone in delivering the narrative. I prefer the latter because it felt like ND were taking the franchise in a new direction

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a AAA game and got an 84.

So flop.
KPFKZ3R3CNEFVN3UDTJ5VLFUQE.jpg

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expected it to rate higher but 81 OC is a damn fine score, 80% Critics recommend.
I feel sorry for people who will be missing this just because of "flop".

But I'm also sure it will have its shortcomings having less stellar scores than RE2

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is that you don't need to rush through longer games. If last gen's games were structured to emulate movies, then this gen's games are structured to emulate tv shows. With the expectation that you'll be watching/playing over a longer period of time.

This is true too

Typically at the moment every three - four months or so I buy one 'X' longer length game as my main, then two or three shorter more replayable titles on the go to dip into during the same time

(Not counting the occasional PSN sale where I crack and throw some titles on the backlog pile because I'm weak)

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
For me, personally, it's not about the score and more about what has been said in the reviews.

I have no doubt that if nothing else, this is a good game. But for some fans of the original, who loved some of the iconic locations (and even systems), it reads like a disappointment. A game can still be both good and disappointing.

I wasn't too bothered initially when they said Live Selection was gone because hey, I get it, working that into the game may end up being a pain. I wasn't too bothered reading they were going to change up the story compared to RE2 because yeah, the story in OG3 isnt really anything special after all. It's just an escape.

But when you add that up to even more changes that IMO don't sound like for the better of the spirit of the original game, that's worrying.

What made OG RE3 iconic for me? The setting, the city-- actually feeling like you traversed through the hell that is Raccoon City. The live selection bits amplify that. I love the detours to the newspaper building, diner, gas station, etc and all that (could) happen there. From what I understand that's mostly all gone? The fact that the demo area is apparently 90% of what you experience in the city hurts. Again, I'm sure what's there is still good stuff, but these changes are not for the better. "Well all these locations might be gone, but there's a big sewer section to make up for it!" - "You miss the iconic (imo) clocktower and the rush of Nemesis (potentially, depending on choices made) hunting you inside of it? Well there's a bigger hospital section in the game where you shoot a lot of stuff to make up for it!"

Again, all of it is probably good fun-- just not better than what I had hoped for this remake. The fact the star of the show (who was relentless throughout most of OG RE3) only does that in the opening bits of the game is disheartening and frankly almost feels like they lied after saying things like wanting to out-do what the team accomplished with Mr. X in RE2. Now X does Nemesis' job better?

TLDR; For some fans of the original, at least for me, I don't think it matters whether it's a 8 or 9 or a 4 out of 10. It's what could have been, all things considered. It's just I believe they removed a lot of things that gave the original its identity. But I'll end on this note again, I have zero (!) doubts this is a still good game. Especially as a companion piece to RE2.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Clock Tower being cut is a massive downer, but idk...this being described as an action packed, briskly paced experience with minimal puzzles I'd actually pretty appealing to me. Not sure if I'm going to buy at launch considering how quickly Capcom puts their games on sale though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone that hasn't played the game shouldn't discount the experiences of the people that have by trying to claim that the game was rushed through.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just woke up and had a bad dream. It was all about REmake 3 and the disappointment.

I thought sleep would save me from this for a few hours but no, dreams about RE3 were all I had.

God, I wish the remake was true to the original. I was wishing for a remake and now thatt I am getting one it feels awful that I am not getting what I asked.

Sep 14, 2018
Maybe someone that hasn't played the game shouldn't discount the experiences of the people that have by trying to claim that the game was rushed through.

Oh yeah a random forum user makes a comment of dubious veracity, that's the one that comes off looking bad.

I'd rather have minigames like the Hunk mode or the original RE3 Mercs mode, than stupid 'achivement-lite' challenges. It is way worse than 2, that offered the remastered RE2 minigames.
Well obviously but that user was under the impression there was *no* replay value, which isn't true.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Multiple reviewers are saying the same things and we know the game has been out in the wild for weeks and a lot of them are saying the same thing.

Not sure why a lot of people are defensive. The game might be a bad remake but it will be a great game for sure.

If people don't want to spend full price for the game because it has less replayability incentives then that's valid. Cause it does not just compared to the original, but even to REmake 2.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well obviously but that user was under the impression there was *no* replay value, which isn't true.

Personally, the replay value of classic RE games comes from their open ended design: optimize equipment slots load, deciding which order do things, which paths are the best/most efficient, memorize puzzles, manage resources, etc... If R3make is a more linear game short experience with barely any puzzles, the replay value is lower to me. I don't think those challenges are a good substitute for that kind of experience.

For other people, it might be, but I think is clearly less than 2.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
They removed the Clocktower, Park, Dead Factory, a bunch of enemies and a boss how is that not a large section of the game?

I understand. It's disappointing that they cut those areas But I'm not sure those it's a large section of the original game (It's a long time that I play the original game)
I'm not even sure the times that I spent on those areas can combine to 1 hour? (include boss fight)

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Eh, I would have responded the same if someone tried to undermine my reviewing abilities
Not just theirs, but pretty much every reviewer as well.

It's weird seeing Jonneh's post get the backlash when it was the original one pretty much dismissing all reviews as being rushed and therefore wrong about playtime that was ill-thought out and overly defensive.

Sep 14, 2018
Eh, I would have responded the same if someone tried to undermine my reviewing abilities
Not just theirs, but pretty much every reviewer as well.

It's weird seeing Jonneh's post get the backlash when it was the original one pretty much dismissing all reviews as being rushed and therefore wrong about playtime that was ill-thought out and overly defensive.

It's literally one random forum post howling to the wind, there was no need to reply at all, certainly not that way. Like not every thought needs to be posted.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand. It's disappointing that they cut those areas But I'm not sure those it's a large section of the original game (It's a long time that I play the original game)
I'm not even sure the times that I spent on those areas can combine to 1 hour? (include boss fight)
They are.

Five boss fights, a new enemy, 3 locations with their own puzzles. They are a huge chunk of the original game (around 40% of the game).

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally one random forum post howling to the wind, there was no need to reply at all, certainly not that way. Like not every thought needs to be posted.
In what way did the reviewer respond? y'all making it seem like he cussed him out. He just made fun of them for a pretty dumb assumption that they made cause thier game isn't getting the amount of praise they want. You clearly seem to have a problem with it.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This thread can be put in the bin as another era embarrassment.

*Tries to put the thread in the bin*

Welp, the bin is already overflowing with embarrassing threads, we need a bigger bin.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dead factory can almost factor 1 hour of the original (is basically replaces the lab area of the other games). Those easily amount for 1/4th of the game or more.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I never played a Resident Evil from start to finish. But, I want to. Specially now with these visuals and modernized controls.

Is the 3 remake the best one to start?

I was considering 2 remake, looking at last year's reviews. But, now reading that 3 is shorter, more action-oriented (more ammo), and with less puzzle-solving and labyrinths, is it a safer bet for my case, since I don't tend to like the traditional RE formula?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
Bummer about the cut content. I don't know why studios cut anything out of games they are remaking. It's just a terrible look in the eyes of gamers who loved the originals. Like they have to know there will be backlash against it, so they should make it the number 1 priority to keep all keep everything from the original.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I never played a Resident Evil from start to finish. But, I want to. Specially now with these visuals and modernized controls.

Is the 3 remake the best one to start?

I was considering 2 remake, looking at last year's reviews. But, now reading that 3 is shorter, more action-oriented (more ammo), and with less puzzl-solving and labyrinths, is it a safer bet for my case, since I don't tend to like the traditional RE formula?

Yeah, feels like it's a good game for newcomers.