• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Delicious amounts of people going straight to the ignore lists. Keep on the dog piling folks. I stand by my original post. Making purchases based on length of time is ridiculous to me. Saying Capcom could have done more is gross. Borderline lazy dev talk.

the irony of saying this and then ending up on everybody's ignore list via a ban. Imagine becoming this fucking unhinged over video game reviews. Get a fucking grip.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Updated the thread tag, the Metacritic and OpenCritic scores are 100% frozen for some reason and have been since like 20 minutes after reviews started hitting, despite both sites having a number of reviews unaccounted for they both count. I've had to manually find reviews because there's so many both sites haven't counted yet and been frozen for over an hour now.

I'll update when they've updated, but expect both scores to shift around quite a bit still.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Updated the thread tag, the Metacritic and OpenCritic scores are 100% frozen for some reason and have been since like 20 minutes after reviews started hitting, despite both sites having a number of reviews unaccounted for they both count. I've had to manually find reviews because there's so many both sites haven't counted yet and been frozen for over an hour now.
Can you tell people not spoil stuff. We have a thread for that. At the very least use the spoiler tag. :P

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
has there been any mention on wether the xbox one x version has been smoothed out in the full release? I know the demo had some odd performance issues.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

They're coming

That's hardly a controversial opinion.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scores seem in-line with what i thought of the demo. Good but not great.

I'll wait for this one to drop in price

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I don't really get the complaints about the game's lenght from people that are not willing to pay 60$ because they will beat it in one weekend. Well, would it make such a huge difference if the game was 2-3 hours longer? Then instead of 2-3 you would beat the game in 3-4 sitting... big deal. I feel like you should only pay so much money for a game anyways, if you plan to get the most out of fit like replaying it in harder difficulties, going for better ranks, speedrunning it etc. and with this replayability it hardly mattters if your first sitting was around 5-6 or 7-8 hours.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you did ;) but I distinctly remember RE 3 not being considered great by most people.

As far as I remember, it wasn't considered as good as RE2 (which got stellar reviews) but it was considered a pretty good entry.

The original got 88% on GameRankings (which was basically the predecessor of metacritic).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_3:_Nemesis

Yeah, this is accurate from what I remember.

How the hell do you not include ink ribbons?

No. Ink. Ribbons.

This game had development issues, right?

I'm starting to see it reflected in the game, yes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That seems oddly specific as none of the RE2 reviews mentioned "the pacing of this game is better than the original"
I'm not talking about RE2. I asked why RE3 cut content and you said because they weren't expansive (which is a weird point because you're in here arguing about how linear, non-expansive games are good and I agree), and to make the pacing better.

But if people are saying the game is too short and the pacing isn't anything to write home about and the cut areas are some of the best in the game I think it's fair to conclude it was a mistake to cut those areas, wouldn't you say?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
On the whole, seems a sobering reception; the kind that journalists in this industry could dispense more frequently, being its rare presence what's all the more shocking when finally some highly-expected release from big developers or AAA series fails to reach the impossible standards, set by fans but also, and firstly, by those same reviewers' habits.

Needless to say, I think it's a good score, given the overdose of Resident Evil in recent years, the lack of significant changes compared to 2019's entry, plus the status of the original as one of the black sheep in the series. I expected a higher score, but no so much for its merits, but a force of habit with reviews.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I see that it is a good game but it gives me the feeling that they have been too fast with this remake. Just a year ago from 2.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but you kinda kept doubling down on "the original game isn't exactly known as a great game." which wasn't/isn't the case at all.
I'm just saying what I experienced back in the day: the publications I read and people around me weren't overly hot on it. Clearly the mainstream media love it so I'll accept that most people love the game. Also, I never claimed it wasn't known as a good game, just not great.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not talking about RE2. I asked why RE3 cut content and you said because they weren't expansive (which is a weird point because you're in here arguing about how linear, non-expansive games are good and I agree), and to make the pacing better.

But if people are saying the game is too short and the pacing isn't anything to write home about and the cut areas are some of the best in the game I think it's fair to conclude it was a mistake to cut those areas, wouldn't you say?
The majority of reviews mention the game's short length and how it's highly replay-able because of the store that unlocks challenges for replays.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
A tiny bit lower than what I was expecting. Not that 80 is a bad score by any means. I liked the demo so this is still an easy purchase for me. Wonder why it's not as well received as RE2.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
For 2 straight games I've complained that ibk ribbons should be an option for any difficulty and not hard exclusive. I never imagined they'd get rid of them entirely even for hard. Unbelievable.

whatever resident evil game comes next, they better learn from this. resident evil is just not meant to be a linear action series. it needs stuff like ink ribbons, backtracking and interconnected areas to make it great. i hope capcom finally gets it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% in on whatever Capcom does with RE, so this could last 30 minutes, have a 50 MC, I'm there day one.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For 2 straight games I've complained that ibk ribbons should be an option for any difficulty and not hard exclusive. I never imagined they'd get rid of them entirely even for hard. Unbelievable.

I couldnt help but think of you upon reading that.

I remember your criticisms regarding the ink ribbons in RE2 and they actually doubled down and removed them entirely.

Imagine that.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Overall, the scores are so erratic that people are just going to have to decide which publication they believe in.

I think I'll wait for a sale with so many games coming out soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I expected it to do worse than RE2R but not by this much!

This is still day one but these reviews definitely put a damper on my hype. The length is disappointing but not surprising. The OG was shorter than 2 as well and with only 1 playable character this was to be expected. but I was hoping that Capcom would extend it a bit, but it seems like they've actually done the opposite and cut out areas from the Original?

Also Racoon city being limited to what we say in the demo is a huuuge disappointment. I've been wanting to explore the streets of Racoon City since before 2 Remake and was happy to finally have a whole game full of it. But it seems like this will forever be denied to me.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
development was not done by the same core team who did the RE2 remake.. so can't say i'm entirely surprised there's some disappointment here.