• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a mess.
I think it's best for my sanity that I stay out of any review thread on ERA lol

Yeah it's not like this is an occasional thing for review threads, most of them end up like this so I really don't see the point in them. Just an opportunity for the community to show their asses which they never pass up.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Man, these early rumors about very open Raccoon City and fully dynamic Nemesis were too good to be true...

yep also those rumours about a expanded clocktower (like it would be the new re2 RPD) and playable spencer mansion flashbacks
man such wasted potential, it really hurts because i love the og re3 and i love jill

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Big overreaction from some

I said on page 1 it'll fall in about 85, and stand by it. It's gorgeous and a solid experience, just a few cavaets and falls short of the GOTY material that was RE2

It's still well worth people's time

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But why would they cut areas to make it even shorter 🤔
Those areas weren't particularly expansive in the first place and presumably to go with the pacing of this project.
RE3 was a much longer game than RE2. Only by playing the B scenario where most content was reused or remixed, did RE2 have a longer length. If we talking content RE3 was never a lesser game than RE2, especially considering all the choices in RE3 that gave greater replay value.
Nah, I remember it being just as short, with the added benefit of encouraging replays with the choice system. Resident Evil in general, the originals, were always shorter experiences bolstered by the replay-ability. Not 12+ hr games. RE2 included.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks for the many cut parts, it seems like developers were given a deadline to deliver the game one year after RE2 no matter what.
I'm actually happy that Nemesis isn't used everywhere because I don't like the mechanic, same for MisterX, being forced to run away from invincible enemy having to guess where developers want me to go to resume normal gameplay becomes quickly boring to me.
This game was bound to have lower reviews than RE2 just like happened with the originals on Psone.
Fatigue is a thing, when you launch pretty much the same thing just a year later cutting also on expected things/features...it was just bound to happen.
Still seems a great 8/10 horror game, not every game is supposed to be GOTY, masterpiece category to be worth playing.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
Solid scores! As a huge fan of old RE3 I'm disappointed that they cut so much stuff but I'm still looking forward to blasting through this over the weekend.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trust your gut. I really wanted to be hyped for this game too, but the demo was kind of a wet fart for me for some reason. That coupled with the price, length, and concerns I'm reading in the reviews, and this seems more like a game to get down the line for cheap when you're in the mood for a horror/action game over the weekend.
The upside is that it is nice to know I will probably be finished with the game before Final Fantasy 7 comes out. And the $46 price at GMG is probably not going to be beaten for a while.

It's the kind of purchase I would probably pass up if all were normal in the world......but right now I've got so much time that I can spend with games, I might as well take advantage.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Static save points are a core pillar of the survival horror genre. Autosaving absolutely lowers the stakes, on top of severely nerfing tension and dread.

There's still save points but you can save indefinitely. I still felt the tension while playing but obviously I always had that thought at the back of my mind that I had a safety net.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It's fucking strange that being in an intense hot spot for coronavirus is gonna delay my purchase of my favorite series about dumb zombie/monster viruses. I legit can't bust my ass to move money around for a pretty ok/truncated RE game that'll last me 2 sittings when I need to stand in hour long lines buying food in bulk (but not stockpiling like other assholes.)

Scores are fine imo, but what I read coupled with the price makes it non-essential sadly.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The length is fine. The stuff you read about Nemesis being incredibly inorganic and annoying is more of a concern. Klepak's review I don't really connect with-- he calls the original also a "mediocre retread of a better game," which is enough for me to know we don't share tastes on the series, but in general it sounds like a bit...sloppy maybe.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Looking at that blasphemous Resident Evil 3 vs Code Veronica thread, ERA definitely has an overinflated opinion of the original RE3.

I've noticed that internet gaming communities tend to gravitate towards the (arguably) flawed, less popular entries in long-running series.

Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask
Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3
Resident Evil 2 vs Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy VII vs Final Fantasy IX

Either that or it's just a vocal minority.

That's why it was good

A too faithful remake might as well just be a remaster or rerelease.

Although what I'm hearing about re3 feels like it went overboard with that

REmake managed to remain super faithful while still remixing and adding new content. Both this and RE2make chopped a lot of stuff for no particular reason other than to save development time. I love RE2make, but if it was trying to be on par with REmake than the A-B scenarios would have been expanded and reworked into canon scenarios rather than eliminated.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
bfPgrcK.png

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Here's my opinion on those reviews. As I'm a fan of the RE series since RE one PS1 (well Saturn in fact) and have played all the main games of the series on day one (RE1/2/3/CV/4/5/6/RER1/RER2), so I have good memories of what was being said on the release of those titles.

RE3 came out at the end of the PS era and few months away from Resident Evil : Code Veronica, everyone only had eyes for this one and RE3 was treated like "meh, it's so old gen". When it was reviewed, people said that it was short, and yes it really felt short. For a single reason : it had only One story to be played. No Chris Story / Jill Story of RE1, no Leon A / Claire B and vice versa of RE2, juste Jill/Carlos story, and it was over.
And that's why for the first time in the series it had a big "bonus mode" called Mercenaries, with many playable characters and plenty of hours to spend if you end up to like it. In RE2 there were the "Tofu bonus" and "Hunk bonus" but Mercenaries was almost like a full game, it was very long and tough.

And they know it, and that's why in RE3 Remake they added the RE Resistance mode, because they knew that the base story of RE3 is quite short. Resistence is the "Mercenaries" of this Remake.

About removing the Befray part of the game (or Bell Tower? I dunno in english as I played it in French), it's because it was criticized because it didn't feel natural at all, it felt like coming out of nowhere and many people disliked this part. It's obvious that they just wanted to reproduce the "RE Mansion" feeling in this RE3. So as I see they removed it and made the hospital part of RE3 longer.

So well yeah as I loved RE3 I'm still pretty hyped for RE3 Remake.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, it warms my heart to know that even with the increase in action RE3 provides, it turned people off real quick. I will be sure to remember this when the usual action RE crazies come around talking about how the series needs suplexes and bodyslams again.

Oh god. Cancel your game then, no one cares what you do with your money or how you justify what you spend it on. I would take a 6 hour game I enjoy over a bloated experience. Quit coming in here with your babble and go do something else.

Sorry but the length of the game is way too short for the price. I thought games this short was over and reserved to COD games. I understand the original was short and I remember beating it in 2 days back in 1999 but I didn't expect them to make it just as short again.

Also my opinion based isn't he reviews is just as valid in this thread.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Nope :( I mentioned that in my review actually. It kind of lowered the stakes for me.
Bummer, i have to guess some of the action sequences are maybe too frustrating to replay over and over without a nearby save on higher difficulties? but then again RE2 remake was pretty brutal on hardcore and Ink ribbons were there.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis not being a constant threat in a world post-Alien Isolation and post-Remake 2 is really disappointing. He was the most iconic stalker in gaming (together with Scissorman from Clock Tower imo). He deserved better.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the length that big an issue? My first run of both campaigns in RE2 took roughly 10 hours. The 2nd (Leon A Claire B) took about 6-8

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I am far more willing to pay more for a tight, short, linear experience than most it seems...but this doesn't necessarily seem tight.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Not totally terrible reviews but between them, the apparent length and the demo not doing a great deal for me im cancelling my pre order for now and getting it later when its cheaper.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the review scores are going to raise in the next few hours. Both Metacritic and OpenCritic have been kinda' frozen for the last 45 minutes, and there's a number of scores both sites count not counted yet, and a lot of 9/10s that came streaming in.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify about the subject

in fact, inferno doesn't have ink ribbons, but only due to inventory management. If you save anything above 05 times, your run simply doesn't register on the results in the game. The 'results' in the menu shows the time you have to beat for each ranking, and there is an express mention to 5 saves tops in order of any inferno run to be valid. You can save more than that to train or speedrun any specific sections, but for clearing the game, the limit still is set to 5 saves.
Oh ok. That's a little reassuring then.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what their deal is releasing this only a year after 2. Sounds like this would've fared much better with a few more levels and more thought-out Nemesis.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Im no where near hyped enough to drop 60 dollars on a short game with little replay value. Guess it'll go on the list with doom eternal as amazing games to get at 30 dollars

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
REmake managed to remain super faithful while still remixing and adding new content. Both this and RE2make chopped a lot of stuff for no particular reason other than to save development time. I love RE2make, but if it was trying to be on par with REmake than the A-B scenarios would have been expanded and reworked into canon scenarios rather than eliminated.

REmake made RE1 redundant. That much is true.

RE2R didn't make RE2 redundant. But I think RE3R mixes things to a new level. As far as I know RE2's locations were kept in tact, with some severely expanded and 1.5 areas added. Even the opening area with the bus and sports court is in the game, but later on.

RE3 axes some areas completely. And it remixes the progress almost fully. After the cinematic prologue which is new the game pretty much begins in the train. Then some areas are completely axed. It seems to me RE3R is a worse offender in terms of things shaken up.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I didn't even see that 3.5/10. Lol. That feels like a...rushed indie game that didn't get play tested type of a score. I refuse to believe AAA games really feel that low. Even ones I dislike. Haha.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Read a couple of the reviews, seems like a solid game. I was gonna play this anyway cause I love survival horror but it doesn't seem to reach the same level of excellence as RE2 based on the reviews. Didn't expect it to either.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why they didn't they gave this game more time? Seems unnecessary to release so close to RE2 for this.

Seems most problems could have been resolved with more dev time.

Is a shame, I will still buy it, but RE2 A and B routes were already botched in the Remake, RE3 was already more focused than RE2....it didn't need to be botched too.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'd still like to play, but seeing reviews and playtime, I'll likely wait on a sale. I don't think price necessarily has to time it takes to beat it, but in this case I've got a lot of stuff to play for the foreseeable future, so I'm not extra thirsty for it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that internet gaming communities tend to gravitate towards the (arguably) flawed, less popular entries in long-running series.

Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask
Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3
Resident Evil 2 vs Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy VII vs Final Fantasy IX

Either that or it's just a vocal minority.

Oh yeah, I'd rather they not cut content and just purely add new stuff but if it's a choice between Re2make and something like Links Awakening which seems obsessed with changing absolutely nothing as much as it can, I'd take re2.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The scores are very good considering the original game isn't exactly known as a great game.