• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
Have not watched any gameplay or played the demo so I'm a bit in the dark. The original RE3 was worse than RE2 and I think that will continue be the case here. Gonna say 86 which is still a fine score.

Oct 25, 2017
Not as high as RE2 probably mid to high 80's. I expect Nemesis to lose the game some points among the folk who found Mr X too stressful.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
83-87 seems like a good bet. Don't care though, RE3 is my favorite in the series, and the demo gave me a lot of hope it's going to be great.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Does anybody know what the critical consensus looked like in the 90s / 00s with the original PS games? It would be interesting to see if it will mirror the consensus and scores in comparison with their Remake counterparts twenty years later.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This seems like a rushed game to keep releasing RE games every year, sadly.

I'm not expecting high scores. Probably low 80s.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty foreboding. I can't tell if this is speculation or if you actually know something...

In the Nioh 2 review thread, when one of the first reviews came out and it was a 6, someone here said something like "all the other reviews will be around this". Then the overall is 86...I could swear it was the same person saying that.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You're in for a rude awakening
giphy.gif

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not as high as RE2 probably mid to high 80's. I expect Nemesis to lose the game some points among the folk who found Mr X too stressful.

If he's anything like he was in the demo I really think that'll turn a lot of people off the game. I don't personally mind so much because I fully intend to kill him every time he shows up, but he was way too aggressive and it didn't seem as though you could lose him the way you could lose Mr. X. Coupled with the fact Mr. X wasn't actually in the game that much whereas I imagine Nemesis appears way more frequently and it could be very frustrating for people.

fireseal

Oct 28, 2017
If I would review the game for the campaign alone, I would say it would certainly score above the 90s. Problem is the Resistance component. It will certainly lower the score of a great game. I am confident the single player campaign will surpass RE2R. I will still stick with my vote of 90 or above.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I feel like it would've been better received if RE2 didn't come out first.
It's going to get penalized for feeling samey.
This just feels like making excuses to me honestly. A great game is a great game.

In fact, RE2 remake should help this to have a good score because of the positive perception it had, not the other way around.

Persona 5 scored just as high as P4G, with Royal doing even better.

But if a game has weaknesses, it will only be natural for media outlets to point them out.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I feel like it would've been better received if RE2 didn't come out first.
It's going to get penalized for feeling samey.
As long as it's a solid game then I'll be fine. It's Resi so I'm going be getting every achievement/trophy. If it's actually a bad game on its own merits then I'll be shocked.

Jill has been getting the short end of the stick for 18 years now. And REmake 3 is probably as good as we will ever get.
#justiceforjill

Hopefully they put her in RE8 or something.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem what are these ranges though? 88-90? 80-82?

what
91 was RE2's metacritic score, so that option is for people who believe the game will score as high or higher as RE2.
88-90 is a bit below RE2 and would in American School Systems be a B+ (though I don't fully equate game reviews to school grading systems, just a notable thing).

After that is mid-80s, though I do kinda' wish I had made it 84-87 rather than 83-87 in retrospective.

I like making numbers that have people more having to think about and decide where they'd like to place themselves.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
people aren't asking for the same experience as 1999, they're asking for an improved one.
I'm just playing devils advocate, but whose to say that it isn't an improved game yet at the same time still has the cut content. 🤷‍♂️, I mean personally I loved RE2R and it rivals OG RE2 for me, and that game cut a lot from OG RE2.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Judging from all the things I've read, heard and the little things I've seen, I expect low 80s but the optimist in me thinks that reviewers will grade the game on its merits and not what its predecessor did.

Voted 88-90.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Expecting 70's with most reviews saying "more of the same" of something. I'd really like 3 to get the love it deserves in both sales/reviews (for those who care about those) but I just don't see it.

I'm still pumped!

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If I had to guess a score based on the demo, I'd probably put the review in the low 80's. Good game, but not the classic that Resident Evil 2 is.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody know what the critical consensus looked like in the 90s / 00s with the original PS games? It would be interesting to see if it will mirror the consensus and scores in comparison with their Remake counterparts twenty years later.

Gamrankings has RE2 at 93% and RE3:N at 88%. Resident Evil 3 was highly received by critics in 1999.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying scores lower than 80? Is this really a possibility? The demo was amazing.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying scores lower than 80? Is this really a possibility? The demo was amazing.

People are acting all doom and gloom based off the spoiler thread which showed that the remake is very different from the original and has cut and swapped out several aspects of the original game. It's only an issue if you have a strong attachment to the original and/or can't let go of the past. For everything that's not there from the original, there's something new that replaces it. Other than that the game looks very solid from what I've seen, but probably won't be as tight as RE2 remake was.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
91 was RE2's metacritic score, so that option is for people who believe the game will score as high or higher as RE2.
88-90 is a bit below RE2 and would in American School Systems be a B+ (though I don't fully equate game reviews to school grading systems, just a notable thing).

After that is mid-80s, though I do kinda' wish I had made it 84-87 rather than 83-87 in retrospective.

I like making numbers that have people more having to think about and decide where they'd like to place themselves.

Okay the choices make sense in that context. And that's an interesting reasoning behind the number choices.

Anyway, I'm thinking 88-90. The changes from the original might affect scores negatively (a little), but what I think what will have more of an effect is that the novelty isn't there this time, especially being only a year after RE2:Remake. There was definitely a "wow factor" to RE2's Remake, not so much for RE3.