• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can show off Nemesis in the trailer and not spoil the first time Jill actually sees him. The leaked imagine shows Nemesis in front of a car, that scene doesn't happen in RE3, so I see three options: It's Brad inside the car, he is the only other person in the city that Nemeis would be after, and we know he meets him before Jill. 2. It's a scene made for the trailer alone. 3. They are changing the story considerably.

But you can't show RE3 and not show Nemesis.

Yeah I agree, it'd be better to save the first reveal for ourselves but I do think they need to show off Nemesis prior to release given how important to the game he is. Honestly I just want Capcom to remake that great promotional image they made for the original game:

az97gEN_700b.jpg

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
If they're trying to go for a more "creepy" vibe to Nemesis than straight-up intimidating it's kind of missing the point IMO. He's supposed to be like a "perfect predator" who evokes a more primal fear. He's like the xenomorph, except he's jacked af and he's firing a rocket launcher at you.

I won't mind if they try that angle this time around by focusing on the idea that he's the result of experimentation on a human subject rather than a lab-grown monster, but they already did that with Birkin.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an easy decision. On one hand yes, they showed how successful this formula can be, but on the other, Nemesis is the main reason why RE3 is so different from RE2. If you want to sell your game, holding back showing the main and central feature is a daring decision to say the least.
Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't show Nemesis at all; just that they don't have to show him as much as they did Mr. X. With Mr. X, they spoiled the moment when he first appeared; they don't have to do that with Nemesis. Just show him out of context running after Jill and that's enough.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If they're trying to go for a more "creepy" vibe to Nemesis than straight-up intimidating it's kind of missing the point IMO. He's supposed to be like a "perfect predator" who evokes a more primal fear. He's like the xenomorph, except he's jacked af and he's firing a rocket launcher at you.

I won't mind if they try that angle this time around by focusing on the idea that he's the result of experimentation on a human subject rather than a lab-grown monster, but they already did that with Birkin.

Nemesis is a prototype. He is meant to be rough around the edges.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Damn... I must be in the extreme minority by actually liking the Sherry/Orphanage part of RE2 Remake.
The problem is that it lifts animations on Sherry straight out of Revelations 2 (when you climb up stuff), the whole segment is pre-scripted and very arbitrary "win" or "fail" states and solving it doesn't feel rewarding. Most players also do it on their first go without hindrance. It just feels like a pacebreaker for Claire's campaign and it's all so they could sell you on how sicko Chief Irons is, but it no longer makes that much sense in the rewrite of RE2's story, and a while later he gets whupped and it's a lot of stuff that isn't that amazing for nothing.

Oct 28, 2017

He's a Terminator. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They need to go all out in evoking the Terminator in this game. Jill is Sarah Connor.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He's a Terminator. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They need to go all out in evoking the Terminator in this game. Jill is Sarah Connor.
I'm not sure they understand that tone internally. That was more of a Shinji Mikami or Hideki Kamiya thing to reference movies that purposefully. They tried showing Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre for RE7 as their razor but allegedly there were many on the team who didn't understand the appeal. And RE2 Remake has an awkward TV-show intro sequence between the opening and the RPD section. I think there's still a lot of RE staff that is lost on what it is they're doing this for.

And like I know this is also DLC but I didn't get why they kept using the Noir theme for costumes. It's like they have internal aspirations that have nothing to do with RE's appeal. Their art director also said he doesn't know the classics, only by name.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Pretty sure the constantly changing faces are intentional at this point, and not just a result of the increased level lf detail/new engine. Maybe they think the games will be more uncanny for returning players if the protagonists aren't that set in stone. They don't change the faces that much in games that aren't horror-focused (RE5, 6, Rev 1 and 2, etc), or in games featuring RE characters (MvC, PxZ).

Doesn't explain RE7 Chris though, but still.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the constantly changing faces are intentional at this point, and not just a result of the increased level lf detail/new engine. Maybe they think the games will be more uncanny for returning players if the protagonists aren't that set in stone. They don't change the faces that much in games that aren't horror-focused (RE5, 6, Rev 1 and 2, etc), or in games featuring RE characters (MvC, PxZ).

Honestly I think I like the idea of changing the faces every once in a while. It keeps things fresh.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
REmake 2 was a great game that I just couldn't appreciate as I don't really like game design of running away from an unstoppable force.

What I loved about RE3 specifically was being able to take down Nemesis, if that aspect of the game is in the remake I'll be all over it.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017

It's simply a matter of them going with actual people for the sake of visual realism. They weren't doing so a decade ago in RE5, 6 or either one of the Rev games. They started with RE7.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for a while. And you know what else I've been saying?

FOR CHRIST SAKE CAPCOM DON'T SPOIL THIS BEFORE RELEASE! HOLD BACK AND SHOW ALMOST NOTHING OF NEMESIS GAMEPLAY!

When they spoiled damn near everything about Mr X in RE2 Remake.....ugh. Thanks to Capcom I knew exactly when Mr X would first show up. They ruined it. Don't do that again.
You know, I saw the trailers with Mr. X and played the original games many times to know when he was expected to show up, but despite this, when I played the game I was dead set that my expectations weren't what they seemed and that he indeed wouldn't appear at the same place. I actually went through the entire police station before that scene with a lot of caution because I was sure that he was going to make his entrance different to what it was in the original.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know about you but I think a primal fear for people is other people or monsters that look like people. Noticing features on Nemesis that tells you he was an actual person but is now this killer machine is extremely unsettling. The additional clues as to his origins help make him scarier.

So I just came across this:

mdeniyv8d5621.jpg

Source (reddit).

The guy really nailed it! Even the STARS badge (although in the official one it's in the belt).

I just don't get the obsession with certain outfits. I've never been bummed when remakes or games featured characters looking different than the way they used to. My opinion is that I've seen them before so let me see something new. They're such an innocuous change that it doesn't affect my experience. And I actually like the redesign there, more. *shrug*

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I think they're gonna make some rationale this time that he was made from an injection on a human hence his human-distorted face, instead of saying he was made to look this way from scratch.

Wasn't Nemesis always originally a human? Since he's basically a Tyrant model infected with the Nemesis parasite.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about you but I think a primal fear for people is other people or monsters that look like people. Noticing features on Nemesis that tells you he was an actual person but is now this killer machine is extremely unsettling. The additional clues as to his origins help make him scarier.

I feel like focusing on the transformation aspect is more of a psychological fear based on reflection. "Oh shit, they took someone and turned him into that. That could've been me!"

Wasn't Nemesis always originally a human? Since he's basically a Tyrant model infected with the Nemesis parasite.

I'm bad at RE lore. I thought Tyrants were lab-grown? Like the one at the end of the first game.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I feel like focusing on the transformation aspect is more of a psychological fear based on reflection. "Oh shit, they took someone and turned him into that. That could've been me!"

I'm bad at RE lore. I thought Tyrants were lab-grown? Like the one at the end of the first game.
Kinda, IIRC. They were all clones of that one Russian dude that was compatible with the T-virus. Nemesis was one such clone as well.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is the difference between a psychological fear and primal fear? They originate from the same place. But otherwise I agree with you that it is a moment of reflection where you realize it used to be someone.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of the horrendously craptacular ORC models, I think they actually do a reasonably good job at staying consistent, especially in the case of Chris. Every image shown of his is based on the same face: his REmake model. It's only RE7 that messed that up.

Outside of the ORC models, the worst I see on this chart is Revelations Jill (obviously), plus the CG movie ones for Leon and Ada. Then there's RE6 Ada, which is not at all a bad model, nor an unattractive look for the character, but just a major change from how she previously looked. She looks younger than she did in RE4, which always felt weird.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

I just don't get the obsession with certain outfits. I've never been bummed when remakes or games featured characters looking different than the way they used to. My opinion is that I've seen them before so let me see something new. They're such an innocuous change that it doesn't affect my experience. And I actually like the redesign there, more. *shrug*

I think people will be happy if the original is a bonus costume like in RE2R (although they fucked up Caire's Classic Costume by not giving her an undershirt).

I actually prefered RE2R Claire's redesign, is a bit more Biker and 90s. The original was a little Anime. The same goes for Leon's re-design.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree, it'd be better to save the first reveal for ourselves but I do think they need to show off Nemesis prior to release given how important to the game he is. Honestly I just want Capcom to remake that great promotional image they made for the original game:

az97gEN_700b.jpg

Man, that image got me thinking. How bad is Brad gonna bite it in the remake? I wonder if we'll get another cutaway or full blown gruesome. What made it such a memorable moment was you could tell he was scared out of his mind. Jill didn't even have time to react.

This trailer needs to drop nooooooow

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would someone really create such an amazing theme, just to troll? D:

But seriously, that theme playing as you make your way across raccoon city, not knowing when or where nemesis will pop up. 😦
It is good but how do we have all this and not the trailer? Capcom please, I'm dying

Status
Not open for further replies.