• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
How was the final boss though? On Nightmare with both defence coins I could survive his three hit combo by dodging just one of the attacks, is it the same on Inferno or do I have to dodge more?

It's pretty much the same. If you get hit with the triple smack it's GG come back again. Not much you can do except try your best to dodge. But no reason to get frustrated if you have that save. Just try again.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just made it to my second save right before the flamethrower fight on Nightmare. Impressions so far? Thank god for auto save. I had to abuse it just to figure out how to reliably make it through some sections. The chases are awful. You gotta just pray he doesn't fuck you up. He's brutal and stays down for like 5 seconds with grenades. The parasites might be even worse. And fuck that spider section. I can tell that's gonna cause a lot of deaths and make me sit through the slow intro over and over again on Inferno.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
*in context of the hospital having a huge almost military basement with massive machinery being used to be part of biohazard testing*

Paraphrasing

Jill (read straight): 'You'd really think someone at the hospital would have noticed...'

Man this script and acting is really great, I laughed

Genuinely. It's really good. A bit longer and this could have been a classic but as is, still great.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It is not just the clocktower, there is a lot more stuff that was taken out. But to answer the question:

-Choices and randomization. Each time you play some items might not be in the same room (some puzzles solution change as well). You also have a choice system that could lead to different endings (it is kind of similiar to Teltale Games in a way). This made the game very replayable.
-A lot of locations were taken out. Clocktower is one of them and it was like a smaller RE1 experience which made for a nice change of pace. There was also the park which is a short location but it had a boss fight with a huge worm called the Grave Digger. Then there is the final area which is the Dead Factory. It has a very similiar purpose to the final area of the game but had a very different more "rusty" asthetic. I prefer it to the final area in the remake cause it is way unique and had a cool aftermath of a battle with some tyrants. Also the city section was much bigger than it is in this game and Nemesis was way more presistent.
-Some guns never returned like the mini gun, a pistol similiar to the one arnold uses in Terminator, a repeater shotgun, a magnum revolver and a minethrower (which is replaced by mine rounds for the grenade launcher). The grenade launcher also had freeze rounds.
-Operation Mad Jackal Mercenary mode. It was way different from the one in RE4. You choose one of three mercenaries like Nikolai, Mikhail and Carlos where you have to go through the city saving civilians for loot and before the time runs out. You could regain time by killing enemies and saving civilians.
-Enemies like the spiders, worms, crows and brain suckers were cut. Brain sucker is basically a more dangerous drain demo and would have been great if they brought them back as is cause the drain demos are very different in this game and much weaker.
-A shirtless more dangerous version of Nemesis.
-Epilogue cutscenes that shows what happened to the characters from the trilogy and what they were doing after the trilogy.
-A bunch more skins for Jill were cut.

That's pretty much it.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
About Nicholai..

He was definitely working for Wesker, right ?
Sergei Vladimir would be much more likely, since per (old) canon Ada was too. Scratch that, I forgot Umbrella Chronicles confirmed she was in leagues with Wesker at the time.
Both RE2 and RE3 leave a lot room for interpretation as to who works for who.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the hip pouches that you can buy at the store grant additional space over the max you can find in the game, or is it just an early advantage only, and you cannot exceed what you would normally get by finding all available in game pouches?

If you have it, the book that makes Perfect Dodge easier is a godsend for this fight. I bought it just for this last battle and it made a huge difference for me. And as another poster said, always try to stay in the middle of the arena.

Does it though? That book was the first thing I purchased and seemed to make absolutely no difference at all.

The parasites might be even worse. And fuck that spider section. I can tell that's gonna cause a lot of deaths and make me sit through the slow intro over and over again on Inferno.

The Dead Space face fuckers? Easily my least favorite part of the game, and that was on Normal. Primarily because the game sets up automatic ambushes that you can replicate 100% of the time. I really dislike contrived, "gamey" shit like that.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
About Nicholai..

Unlikely, the final note in the game says that whoever hired Nicholai wanted to sabotage Umbrella so that they could absorb their market share. It's likely the "rival company" that has been teased over the years. Wesker does eventually lead the corporation though but not by the time of RE2

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely, the final note in the game says that whoever hired Nicholai wanted to sabotage Umbrella so that they could absorb their market share. It's likely the "rival company" that has been teased over the years. Wesker does eventually lead the corporation though but not by the time of RE2

The Connections from RE7 potentially?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing as how Resident Evil 2's DLC was announced pre-release, 3 isn't getting shit. If DLC isn't already in production, then nothing is coming. :(
Ghost Survivors was only announced a few days before RE2 came out, i'd say it's still possible that we see dlc of some kind, be it costumes or other minor things.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Seeing as how Resident Evil 2's DLC was announced pre-release, 3 isn't getting shit. If DLC isn't already in production, then nothing is coming. :(
Yeah and also big publishers lately seem to have followed a rule for these short-duration single player games, also like Fallen Order: You make the game and ship it, and start developing the next one.

Doesn't hold true for Sony but for everyone else it seems to. DLC isn't as spontaneously developed as some think it is. In fact, you got to prime your game and its architecture to make "slots" for DLC to be made in, in a lot of cases. If they didn't already prime RE3 for it, it's not going to be made.
About Nicholai..

I'm starting to fully believe the reason he isn't ever foreshadowed or refered to by name is because Capcom fully intends to go ahead and reconstruct the original Canon without him.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
S Ranked Inferno with a time of 1:10.

In reality, it took much longer. But the final boss, with defense coins, recovery coins, STARS Manual and Infinite Rocket Launcher is hell.

Never touching that again. I prefer Nightmare in that case since there was a possibility to survive the slam-attacks at least.
Broken shit-tier boss on Inferno.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Up to the hospital now. Revisiting RPD with Carlos rocked, nice how they tried to keep it in line with how you find it in RE2. Definitely feels really short though, which is a pity as its a quality game, its very difficult to put it down and I see me replaying it loads. But I also see me replaying the original version of RE3 because a couple of the cuts/changes bother me.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need this version of Jill to carry over into future games. I'm hoping that post credits tease ties into a future game set post VII.

Capcom teased Jill's return in Revelations 2. She sent a letter to Barry complaining about the tests they were running on her after the whole RE5 thing and how she intends to get back in the field soon.

I think it was set before RE6? So maybe we'll get a Revelations 3 set after it with Jill and Chris and maybe at least a cameo from Carlos? We still don't know what he got up to after RE3.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've been more disappointed with a game than this one.
I loved the RE2make so much, but this game just feels like a hollow shell version of it.
Fuck.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished the game on Standard.
If I want to get all achievements, should I do the Assisted or Hardcore run first?

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love the entire trilogy of remakes, what I really want now - way more than a Code Veronica or RE4 remake - is just a port of the original PS1 games for modern consoles and PC. That would be an instant purchase.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I don't think I've been more disappointed with a game than this one.
I loved the RE2make so much, but this game just feels like a hollow shell version of it.
Fuck.

It's just different, it's not supposed to be RE2R. It's supposed to be a different flavour and this flavour of this game makes complete sense.

RE2R was about newbies thrown into a situation of which there was no immediate escape, thrown into a far more classic Resident Evil game.

RE3 really at its core from the get go is about escaping the city ASAP.

You're not here to solve a mystery or take down umbrella, you're here to get out in the quickest possible time possible while evading and spending the least amount of contact with the invincible tank hell bent on your destruction. Having him like Mr X would probably be more negative in terms of experience, I'm sure play testing it proved that.

It's a different flavour to RER2, but IMO works extremely well for the flavour it is. It's extremely tight and allows little breathing room, and honestly that's what works for this kind of situation that Jill finds herself in. Wondering the city solving random puzzles isn't in her best interests, and Nemesis is the catalyst that keeps things progressing.

RE2R is also fantastic and I prefer that kind of RE Game to RE3R but this game is still excellent. There's a few additional locations and enemies I'd like to have encountered along the way but I don't think it took too much away from the experience.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
It's just different, it's not supposed to be RE2R. It's supposed to be a different flavour and this flavour of this game makes complete sense.

RE2R was about newbies thrown into a situation of which there was no immediate escape, thrown into a far more classic Resident Evil game.

You're not here to solve a mystery or take down umbrella, you're here to get out in the quickest possible time possible while evading and spending the least amount of contact with the invincible tank hell bent on your destruction. Having him like Mr X would probably be more negative in terms of experience, I'm sure play testing it proved that.

It's a different flavour to RER2, but IMO works extremely well for the flavour it is. It's extremely tight and allows little breathing room, and honestly that's what works for this kind of situation that Jill finds herself in. Wondering the city solving random puzzles isn't in her best interests, and Nemesis is the catalyst that keeps things progressing.

RE2R is also fantastic and I prefer that kind of RE Game to RE3R but this game is still excellent. There's a few additional locations and enemies I'd like to have encountered along the way but I don't think it took too much away from the experience.

I get that she wouldn't be running around solving puzzles but it's also a game at the end of the day before story

I loved this game as I do all resident evils but the clock tower simply should have been done the game is on the shorter side compared to otherREs and the whole point of a new gen remake is to expand upon the city/locations not remove if the game was longer and the clocktower was removed I wouldn't be too fussed.

another year in the oven to add this location and maybe some live selections wouldn't have done any harm I wasn't to bothered hearing they were removed because I figured they would be giving us a much bigger scope game but it's not at All

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I haven't yet seen Jill deliver her "I'll give you S.T.A.R.S." line because Nemesis slaps her in the face every time I feel like they must have tried making him more of a persistent stalker at some point and decided it was too frustrating.

I still wish I could play that alternate universe build of the game but I don't mind the direction they took to make it more of a setpiece-driven action romp.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished with a total playtime of 9hours that final boss was amazing

I couldn't stop thinking of this once Nemesis
went into quadruped form,
and it was even more pronounced at the end.

alien_queen-791x445.jpg

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

I get that she wouldn't be running around solving puzzles but it's also a game at the end of the day before story

I loved this game as I do all resident evils but the clock tower simply should have been done the game is on the shorter side compared to otherREs and the whole point of a new gen remake is to expand upon the city/locations not remove if the game was longer and the clocktower was removed I wouldn't be too fussed.

another year in the oven to add this location and maybe some live selections wouldn't have done any harm I wasn't to bothered hearing they were removed because I figured they would be giving us a much bigger scope game but it's not at All

It's pretty clear that capcom didn't give a big budget to the developers.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Considering I haven't yet seen Jill deliver her "I'll give you S.T.A.R.S." line because Nemesis slaps her in the face every time I feel like they must have tried making him more of a persistent stalker at some point and decided it was too frustrating.

I still wish I could play that alternate universe build of the game but I don't mind the direction they took to make it more of a setpiece-driven action romp.

they should an alternate mode with nemesis everywhere haha

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty much the same. If you get hit with the triple smack it's GG come back again. Not much you can do except try your best to dodge. But no reason to get frustrated if you have that save. Just try again.
Done and got my plat along with it. Phew, you're right that the start is the hardest part. Those two zombies that insta-kill you if they grab you were brutal but once I got past them, it wasn't much different from my Nightmare run. And then the final boss was just a dick, spamming the three hit combo even more than he did on Nightmare. There was one time where he did the acid spray and then followed it up with the three hit combo as I was stunned. Another time I got the three cylinders in and he killed me as I was running back to the gun. But I got there a couple tries later and really enjoyed the killing blow.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my Inferno run and snagged the platinum. I didn't have the rocket launcher unlocked, but my infinite AR + 2 assault coins ripped through much everything. That last fight was an even bigger pain in the ass than on Nightmare, real glad I don't have to do that again.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it on all difficulties and completed all challenges, time to put down this game. It's a good game and there is a lot of fun to be had, but it's hard not being a little disappointed with what is there in terms of length and replayability.

It's far too linear and Nemesis isn't fun the second time around, which is a shame looking at the open nature of RE2 and Mr. X not feeling as scripted as Nemesis.

The game really needed something more and it's obvious they bolted on Resistance to make the package seem a little better overall. The game also needed some balancing to make the boss fights a little more fair on higher difficulties, stun locking the player to death is just terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
As I said before, a good compromise to make Nemesis segments great would be to be able to take him down until the next story section like the original game. Buff him even more and make it worth while to down him. Even more so than him giving you creates.

Make it so each time he shows up in the area you are encouraged to find ammo and weapons to take him down to give you breathing room.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If anyone is wondering, the hip pouches you can buy from the store turn up next to the very first item box.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Survivors was only announced a few days before RE2 came out, i'd say it's still possible that we see dlc of some kind, be it costumes or other minor things.
TBH given how little DLC RE2 got compared to RE7, I get the feeling Capcom have lost interest in single player DLC. Their pipeline has instead moved to turn RE into what is essentially an annual franchise.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but I beat the game at 2:04:10 and I still got a B rank?

it's my understanding that less than 2:30:00 is an A...

TMC

Oct 27, 2017

I got that line last night. Definitely put a smile on my face.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it last night and after thinking about it I really liked it. The high tempo was a nice change of pace compared to RE2. I beat the game in 5:15 and with 12 deaths. I died a lot to hunters which one hit killed me and I was too slow to dodge.Additional time was 6:15. It is definitely a very short game.
The one that really bothered me
that QTE at the very end. I was so disappointed because I messed it up due to hesitation and too carefully aiming. I really don't know why they implemented that. I aimed for his head but the shot wouldn't trigger. I mean you just melted the brain of nemesis with the biggest gun in the whole game but you can still mess it up with this cheap qte? Not a fan of that part.