• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The void
I'm having trouble deciding where I should use my 5 saves on Hardcore. What worked for you guys?
For me I did first save outside of sub station where you turn the fuses on
(right before you go back and nemesis busts through the wall).

The rest of the saves were before boss fights. Definitely make a save before the final boss. It is hit or miss if you will survive with his stunlock lol... he pounds the ground like 5 times. If he gets you once, good luck. The reason I made my first save where I did was so I could skip the annoying intro. If you die, you have to redo most of it. There are two really unfair zombies that are a 1 shot death pretty much.

Edit: oh, I misread as Inferno lol.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny the nemesis is easier to down in this than in the original somehow. You throw a grenade at him then he drops his umbrella case. In the original it was impossible at the beginning to do so and you needed Freeze Round to do it quickly or use a live action choice that would knock him only for him to chase you again.

I feel the boss battles are so disappointing. The Clock tower one is very similar to the acid pit one too.
It wasn't impossible at the beginning in the original so much as the best way to do it was to get him stuck on invisible barriers and then unload on him, repositioning as necessary.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Raccoon City is so beautiful in HDR. It really is a shame that it is so small. One more larger section in the middle of the game would have been really, really nice.

I still love the game! I hope it sells nearly as well as RE2make... definitive editions for these two games with added/redone content and ray tracing would be 🤤

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He's just the big dudder boss in every RE since inception. What threat is that?

That's like saying Birkin sold the threat far better than Mr. X, which is not true.
He's just a nuisance stalker that is easy to mange, what kind of threat is that?

It is true, imo, the escalating fast pace evolution sold the idea of a threat far more than protracted stalking sequences ever could.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Raccoon City is so beautiful in HDR. It really is a shame that it is so small. One more larger section in the middle of the game would have been really, really nice.

I still love the game! I hope it sells nearly as well as RE2make...

I think it still feels large, I think RE3 remake is meant to be a more realistic (or cinematic) chaos / escape ASAP / keep moving forward kind of situation. I think it would become flabby if there was more to explore.

I would welcome however a remake of Outbreak in order to see larger portions of the city.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Does anyone know what the menu music is? The one with press start and nemesis just looking

its so damn ominous and awesome

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
We're almost certainly going to see "no special item" runs of the harder modes and stuff soon, too.
I'm watching this one dude, Trance or something, get destroyed doing this on Inferno. That shit looks like no joke. I can't imagine a no save run. Doesn't seem possible right now.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I finished my normal playthrough on nightmare, took quite a few attempts and both defense coins but I beat that son of a bitch. Now I'm doing an S rank runk on nightmare using all the coins, extra pouches, and the infinite assault rifle. Should be a breeze until the final boss. :|

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this one dude, Trance or something, get destroyed doing this on Inferno. That shit looks like no joke. I can't imagine a no save run. Doesn't seem possible right now.
One thing I've learned from watching speed runs and hard mode clears over the years is... some of these people will do the most insane shit and make it look like assisted mode. Be interesting to see hos this one pans out.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Will have to think a bit before I can decide where it sits amongst the rest of the series, but I'm thinking it's a bit weaker than RE2R. Still great just in the general sense that this engine and gameplay is amazing pretty much no matter what you're doing.

I think the way the game counts deaths is busted in some way, as it said I had zero deaths on my results screen, which is very much wrong. Maybe because I always loaded a save instead of selecting continue? (the autosaves tended to be in terrible spots for me anyway)

A few questions (mostly mechanics but I'll spoiler anyway)

1. What's the "best" weapon for the pale heads? Flame rounds seemed the most effective but even that was like 2-3 really good hits. I think I saw someone post to just use the magnum? I ended up with like 10 mag bullets left over so I guess I could have spared them.

2. On a similar note, what good are acid rounds? Didn't seem to do much to pale heads or hunters.

3. I missed the safe in the hospital. Never seemed to find the combination, and when you go back with Jill, it's actually opened. What was in there? I missed 2 files so I assume the combo was in one of those.

4. Do shop purchases affect rank at all in replays? Can I just grab some nice items to make the higher difficulties easier? Also I assume points are only from getting achievements and there's nothing given for just a general extra playthrough or anything.
Just to answer the first 2 questions.
1. Magnum works really well against them.
2. Acid rounds are great against the armored hunters, the one that start spawning from the hospital and later on. There's a file or an ingame tip about it, but basically, a single round will eat through them.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure these are reliable. After the game came out, some people hacked the PC version and looked at the behind-the-scenes numbers and realized two things: each zombie has a specific HP pool that remains consistent across playthroughs, and bullets deal the same amount of damage regardless of where they land.
I found some more info.

Do you have any information about that? I know there's a hack streamers use to keep track of health pools, but they vary wildly and damage is defense-based.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Is the 3 round burst handgun any good? I don't know if I want to swap it for my tricked out first handgun. I remember in RE2 unequipping the burst mod because it chew through ammo and just generally wasn't very good or accurate.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Nemesis in this game was way too weak. He was really dumb in this game and way less threatening.

The original ambushed you, predicted your movements and even had a personality. Shoot him with a shotgun aand he will start sprinting after you. You also had sequences where he would camp on a building and snipe you from thwre withh his bazooka.

First time I encountered him in the remake I didn't feel intimidated by him unlike the original where if you don't know what tou are doing you will gett turned into a sandwich.

He is more like the tyrant at the end of RE1 or G in that he is so damn incompetent.

Mr X takes the crown when it comes to the remake series. Original Nemesis is Mr X on steroids abd it sucks the remake version pales in comparison.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 3 round burst handgun any good? I don't know if I want to swap it for my tricked out first handgun. I remember in RE2 unequipping the burst mod because it chew through ammo and just generally wasn't very good or accurate.
I personally found it was quicker to down zombies with, as long as you hit the shots.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Nightmare and went into Inferno. Finally had enough points for the rocket launcher and thought it's going tob e a cakewalk but nope, it's brutal, especially if you're trying to get the S rank. I have to redo 3 areas because Nemmy comboed me to death and I didn't save (no auto saves on Inferno). Whoops!

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
S rank Inferno is gonna require some strategizing for which saves to use. I feel like the first half of the game is more of a crapshoot than the back half, mostly because of chase scenes, that can go horribly wrong very quickly on Inferno.

Made my first save before the spiders.
Made the second one before the flame thrower boss, and I'm struggling with the rocket launcher pursuit. I should have made my second save at Kendo's tbh.

edit: haha, we're on the same page mudai

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
UhTrance? Inferno sounds like fun.
Yeah that guy.

One thing I've learned from watching speed runs and hard mode clears over the years is... some of these people will do the most insane shit and make it look like assisted mode. Be interesting to see hos this one pans out.
They make dodging look so easy. Good news (imo) is that they can't rely on the knife this time so it's interesting to see their boss strategies.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Finished Nightmare and went into Inferno. Finally had enough points for the rocket launcher and thought it's going tob e a cakewalk but nope, it's brutal, especially if you're trying to get the S rank. I have to redo 3 areas because Nemmy comboed me to death and I didn't save (no auto saves on Inferno). Whoops!

Can you use infinite ammo weapons to unlock Nightmare difficulty? I'm asking because there were some score restrictions when using infinite ammo weapons in RE2, if I remember correctly.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Yeah, the rocket launcher doesnt do shit to him in Inferno. I learned that the hard way when I tried to down him after the spiders and he kept side stepping and comboed me to death. Had to redo the spiders.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
No clue about the first two, but as for your other questions:

Question 3:
You probably missed the operating room you can open with the keycard just before heading to Dr. Bard's office. The safe had a part for Carlos' assault rifle, that's probably why the game opened it automatically and emptied it once you were playing as Jill.

Question 4:
Shop purchases do not affect rank or trophies/achievements. And you are correct, you only get points for completing the tasks in the Records section.

Ugh, pretty sure I went into that room, I must have just missed whatever file or clue was in there. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

Just to answer the first 2 questions.
1. Magnum works really well against them.
2. Acid rounds are great against the armored hunters, the one that start spawning from the hospital and later on. There's a file or an ingame tip about it, but basically, a single round will eat through them.

Weird, I smacked the hunters in the specimen hallway fight with acid rounds and it didn't seem to do much to them. Might not have realized it. I ended up taking them out with explosive rounds pretty easily. Grenades still seem like the best way to take out hunters (it was generally a one shot in Carlos's section) but they're pretty rare for Jill by the end of the game.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say the new version of the end credits song was excellent:

Overall I really enjoyed the game. The last half, with the hospital and underground facility, was probably my favorite part; in comparison to RE2 where the start felt the strongest. Although the second Nemesis fight is probably one of my favorite RE boss battles in recent memory. Can't wait to get back to it.

If nothing else, this game has my favorite OST of the whole series. This end credits confirmed it when it started playing.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, pretty sure I went into that room, I must have just missed whatever file or clue was in there. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

Weird, I smacked the hunters in the specimen hallway fight with acid rounds and it didn't seem to do much to them. Might not have realized it. I ended up taking them out with explosive rounds pretty easily. Grenades still seem like the best way to take out hunters (it was generally a one shot in Carlos's section) but they're pretty rare for Jill by the end of the game.
Bear in mind, it's a slow burn, it's not instant but it definitely works.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Nemesis is kicking my butt on Inferno mode. Should have collected everything before triggering his appearance.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat it. it's a good game, but not a masterpiece like REmake 2. Doesn't have great level design like 2, too actiony and not scary aside from like few moments in the hospital and where hell are the puzzles?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game, midway through my second run but I've been digesting all of it during the night.

First off I'd like to say that I liked the game, I mean it's solid by itself.

By the time I was going downstairs with Jill in the hospital it hit me like a truck though. "Wait a fucking minutes, a lab? That's it?". And yeah, a few minutes later it pretty much was fucking it.

Compared to RE2 last year this one is a massively inferior rendition of the original game. No R.P.D. run with Jill as Nemesis follows you, no Clock Tower, no Grave Digger, Resistance exists at the expense of the very first Mercenaries Mode which should've been celebrated instead of slashed.

And most importantly, Nemesis is such less a menace than what I anticipated, the devs building up the hype for him and the demo giving a strong impression of his pursuits. I absolutely loved how Mr.X was handled in RE2 and the uses of Nemesis are exclusive to setpieces similar to the second half of RE2 which left me with a bitter feeling in the end. I thought he was going to be some sort of permanent threat, but not this way.

It's still good, just very disappointing from a 90's fan's POV. It could've been so much better than that and that's what pisses me off the most honestly, the wasted potential. It almost felt rushed from that perpective.

The ending was pretty good though, the expanded hospital as well.

Last edited:

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wait was there a steam update that messed up the saving? most of my saves are gone and I can't save anymore it says saving but the slot I select stays empty.

edit: restarted my PC now all my saves are back and I can save normally weird

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing is that based on how the game's level design is structured, i don't think a randomizer will work too well compared to REmake 2.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
If you have completed RE3, don't sleep on Resistance that's bundled with it.
Please don't listen to the negative comments: it's an amazing online game and it deserves way more love.

Don't forget to play the tutorials first because if you don't, the first match is going to be brutal and it will color your perception of the game.
Also take the comments about the matchmaking with a grain of salt: it has been instant for me to find a match as a survivor and 3- 10mn as Mastermind.

Seriously, Resistance is amazing.

Tried a few games yesterday. Wasn't feeling it sadly but mayb I'll try again some time.

Finished the main story twice now. Not a bad game, I only wish they had a few more city sections with Nemesis stalking you. Favourite part of the game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Man fuck Final Form Nemesis on Inferno - the fucking stun locking bullshit is infuriating.

4C13F61381A3ECED0BB366008EA9F140674BC2D8

It doesn't work with some attacks, but others you have time to recover with that.

But you just have to learn the timing of all his attacks in the end. They all can be dodged reliably.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Can you down Nemesis when you're running away from him during the part where he shows his flamethrower? I've tried to but it's so difficult since the flames prevent me from doing anything.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
4C13F61381A3ECED0BB366008EA9F140674BC2D8

It doesn't work with some attacks, but others you have time to recover with that.

But you just have to learn the timing of all his attacks in the end. They all can be dodged reliably.

Wow I never knew you could do that...

On my PC everything loads so fast so I dont get a chance to read the loading screens.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you down Nemesis when you're running away from him during the part where he shows his flamethrower? I've tried to but it's so difficult since the flames prevent me from doing anything.

You need to just run away.

And for the boss fight, if you wanna know.
You need to shoot the fuel tank. Then after it explodes you need to shoot Nemesis itself.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
You need to just run away.

And for the boss fight, if you wanna know.
You need to shoot the fuel tank. Then after it explodes you need to shoot Nemesis itself.
Probably not as this leads to a boss fight and the fire blocks the way back
Thank you. I downed Nemesis the first 2 times and he dropped some good stuff. I assume there's no point in doing it here since a showdown's gonna happen soon anyway.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
So if you buy the bolt cutter and lockpick from the store, what happens if you throw them away after they're no longer needed? Will they be in the item box again in every new game, or are they gone for good?

Also really not sure which items I should buy from the shop. I already got the S.T.A.R.S costume for Jill and have about 30k points to spare. Just finished the game on Normal, so Hardcore is obviously next. Anything in particular that would make the second run even more fun to play? Defense coins seem reasonable, considering that you lose your energy fast even in Normal mode.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When do the store purchased hip pouches become available?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. I ran right by it.

Last edited: