• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Solid 7. RE2R is superior in almost every way though, especially the pacing. and I don't get how this has less extra modes than RE2R. and is it just me, or is the zombie damage toned down?

that said, I love this version of Jill, I dunno if they're gonna attempt to remake 4, but I wanna see these remake characters in new games so damn bad.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo these hunter 1HKO's are MESSING me up

Fucker just spammed it 3 times. Got the counter twice and the third time had me killed by the same one for the 4th time in a row.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
This is what hurts me to my very core. There was a chance, and it's gone. The fact that RE3 is a good game only make it hurts all the more. There are aspects of it that are positively better than what I dreamt of, but the core structure of RE3 is just not there. I mean, we're talking about a RE3 where Nemesis stalks you for 5 minutes. Yet it would take so very little to fix that.

Goddamn it.

Goddamn it Capcon. Why? WHY?!

They need to make an RE3:X. Add two objectives you have to complete (that are very clear and easy to identify without aimless searching) while Nemesis chases you. Release it next gen. It won't be the game it should be, but it would hurt less and improve the game a lot.

They did a really good job of it this time around - not just with some great new versions of the original game's soundtrack (Metamorphosis, the save rooms,
the credits theme I really didn't expect they'd bring back
), but also some really effective new pieces like Azusa Kato's piano-heavy lab theme which kind of reminded me of Parasite Eve.

It's basically exactly what I wanted from the RE2 remake - what's sort of frustrating is that this game almost uses RE2's soundtrack better than the actual RE2 remake; with
the much more faithful save room remix; and Resistance having a new version of Birkin's theme that's exactly what his first form should have sounded like in RE:RE2.

Providing the original soundtrack DLC in the 2 remake was still a good compromise, but it is a bit disappointing that we'll never see it updated in the same way as 3's was.

The problem with the original soundtrack implementation is that

1. The worst track in the game plays for a little too long (the one that plays when Marvin comes after you).
2. The second boss track never plays ... an actual boss track.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Been enjoying the game a lot; I just reached
The R.P.D with Carlos
and maybe it's because I've braced myself for the worst based on other's feedback but I don't feel disappointed. I've enjoyed all the characters and their portrayal in this game especially Jill (Compared to the lackluster Characterization of RE2makes's take on Claire and Leon making kissy faces at each other). It is a bit sad that it sounds like I've explored most of the Raccoon City streets at this point and I already know about the omission of locations from the original title but on its own merits I'd say this game is a very solid 8 or 8.5 compared to RE2makes 9 or 9.5. Oh and hearing those remixed or rearranged RE3 tracks is amazing! Nemesis's lack of encounters is a bit disappointing, but when he does show up it's usually memorable. The first boss fight with him was way more enjoyable than most of the bosses in RE2.

It's a very fun action take on the RE2make formula in the same way the original RE3 was a more action-focused take on the original RE1 and 2. I'd say I'd want more puzzles, but RE3 original didn't really emphasize them either. I look more kindly on this game being a quick followup to the RE2make which really satiated my taste for a return to the good old days.

Now remake the Spencer mansion again and make it play more like RE2make. I'll wait Capcom.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Solid 7. RE2R is superior in almost every way though, especially the pacing. and I don't get how this has less extra modes than RE2R. and is it just me, or is the zombie damage toned down?

that said, I love this version of Jill, I dunno if they're gonna attempt to remake 4, but I wanna see these remake characters in new games so damn bad.
zombie damage is toned down via the mash/hold prompt. Considering that there are always more enemies onscreen at once than RE2R, it makes sense to have that change.

That aside, the game did ship with Resistance which they're banking on as the additional mode but ymmv with that. We could potentially see more content come in the future similar to Ghost Survivors with RE2.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed all the characters and their portrayal in this game especially Jill (Compared to the lackluster Characterization of RE2makes's take on Claire and Leon making kissy faces at each other).

Agree with your whole post but this bit especially

The script and acting is probably the best and most natural I've seen in an RE. I know that may sound like sarcastic praise lol but it's true

'Bitch can't even swim' line was genuinely perfect

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
One of the office rooms here reminds me of 1.5.

I was thinking the exact same thing at one point in the Hospital.

zombie damage is toned down via the mash/hold prompt. Considering that there are always more enemies onscreen at once than RE2R, it makes sense to have that change.

But not really? If you mash, it seems like you take the same damage you would have taken from RE2 remake from a bite. Here you're just penalized even more if you don't mash. Two bites without doing anything puts you at critical on Normal difficulty. Also, I get that they want everyone to see their fancy bite death animation, but good lord. After the first time, I really don't need to sit for ten seconds watching the canned death scene again. Let me skip it.

The script and acting is probably the best and most natural I've seen in an RE. I know that may sound like sarcastic praise lol but it's true

I really enjoyed the characters a lot more in this than I did the previous game. Not just the acting, but whatever they did with their face tech was a vast improvement. Both Jill and Carlos looked way more natural to me than both Leon and Claire. Their faces just always looked so "off" to me.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
You know what the worst enemy in the game is? That fucking Las Plagas reject. They're cheap as fuck.

Sep 14, 2018
About the ending:
Specifically the post credits scene, look at this:

4db12c43da41edc24e6b4057db09f65bc0275802.png

Those look like man fingers, could that be Chris?! He's the one associated with the color green... CVR tease?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I think they might be referring to the
head crabs with tentacles.
They made me think of RE4 rejects too. Honestly, the enemy that bothered me the most were the Dead Space hentai bugs. That entire section was actually the most difficult for me to get through without feeling like I was wasting ammo or herbs, and they literally setup extremely "gamey" ambush points that you can activate 100% of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but this game is just as good as RE2 Remake.
Honestly I agree.
Hower it has a few weird corner cuts here and there and an extreme lack of content

I can buy that this was originally an extension of RE2 though.
But so much feels like they did put more thought into it then RE2 stuff like reading files changing dialog.
Or just something like looking at the STARS photo and getting a voice line.

Music is absolutely no contest as well

They also put way more characterization in than RE2,

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It's difficult to play chronologically at one point of the game, but I'm doing my best. I'm really enjoying playing between both games, although I think they need to patch some parts of RE2 to marry up both versions a little more (just patch in one vehicle).

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When we gonna get a game starring Hunk

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with your whole post but this bit especially

"You think I don't know how to fuck you up"
Only this Jill Valentine after dealing with Nemesis multiple times could pull that line off

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You know what the worst enemy in the game is? That fucking Las Plagas reject. They're cheap as fuck.
I think they might be referring to the
head crabs with tentacles.
They made me think of RE4 rejects too.
They were annoying, but they make sense due to the key to Nemesis being the parasite, and them being created by Nemesis. I liked that they kept the parasite infections of human bodies consistent.
Honestly, the enemy that bothered me the most were the Dead Space hentai bugs. That entire section was actually the most difficult for me to get through without feeling like I was wasting ammo or herbs, and they literally setup extremely "gamey" ambush points that you can activate 100% of the time.
Aside from the first cutscene one, you can get past them all without activating it.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I agree.
Hower it has a few weird corner cuts here and there and an extreme lack of content

I can buy that this was originally an extension of RE2 though.
But so much feels like they did put more thought into it then RE2 stuff like reading files changing dialog.
Or just something like looking at the STARS photo and getting a voice line.

Music is absolutely no contest as well

They also put way more characterization in than RE2,

The music is a huge part of Resident Evil for me, and they handled that aspect so much better than RE2 Remake. It's part of the soul of RE to me, and here it was on full blast. Gorgeous OST all the way.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd still like to see the completion screen. I honestly cannot see how you managed to get through it so quickly unless you used a guide and just ran through knowing exactly where to go.
kinda weird you'd ask me to do that, I played the game without a guide not knowing anything about it (played the demo and that's about it, didn't play the original) it's all pretty straight forward and the puzzles (if you can call them that) are very easy, I'd love to say I rushed through the game but I really didn't, picked up everything I saw and probably most of the hidden stuff, maybe didn't pick up the last gem at the start area.
Why would you think this game should go longer?, it's really, really simple.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
A directors cut would do wonders

Or a game Resident Evil: City of the Dead which amalgamates both stories into one cohesive storyline in a 24 esque story (without split screen). But until that unlikely event I've pinpointed the places to switch discs, even if it's not perfect (about 4 disc switches), and unless you're running both games on two monitors and pausing in-between one cut scene it'll never be perfect. But it'll do 😜

astro

Oct 25, 2017
kinda weird you'd ask me to do that, I played the game without a guide not knowing anything about it (played the demo and that's about it, didn't play the original) it's all pretty straight forward and the puzzles (if you can call them that) are very easy, I'd love to say I rushed through the game but I really didn't, picked up everything I saw and probably most of the hidden stuff, maybe didn't pick up the last gem at the start area.
Why would you think this game should go longer?, it's really, really simple.
It's really not that simple that 3 hours on your first run sound reasonable.

It took me 6h30m and I didn't struggle or back track much at all. There was a decent amount of figuring out which way o go that you couldn't possible know unless you lucked out constantly or read a guide.

Plus, there are teo clear times. The one on the results screen told me 4 hours. The one in the top right told me 6h30m, which is where I think you were confused.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the writing, number of and general quality of the files in this game as well. I think RE3 does a better job of documenting the escalation of the crisis than any other RE game. Especially in the hospital, a lot of the files were legit quite tragic.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
I have 19/20 charlie dolls..i've looked in two playthroughs in the spots they are supposed to be and for whatever reason it's just not popping up. anyone else having this issue? playing on Xbox.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to cave in even after cancelling my previous preorder because i enjoyed REmake 2 a lot and i really wanted to play this (the fact that i found a cheaper price helped), and after beating it a couple of hours ago with a total time of 9h on normal (for comparison's sake, my Leon A was 8h in RE2R), i have to say that i had a great time with it and do not regret my purchase whatsoever.
Holy shit does the game start strong: what a fantastic way to open the game, with Nemesis wake up call.

Unfortunately, it is not long before you start to realize how extremely rushed the game feels:
- Nemesis is incredibly underused, like, you escape from his regular form for like 5 minutes and that is pretty much it. Then a bunch of sequences where you have to run and the boss encounters. There is no element of surprise and it is a goddamn shame. Talk about missing potential.
- Enemies (from regular zombies to pale heads) reused, as are some mechanics.
- More linear than RE2R, with missing setpieces from the OG and barely any puzzles.
- Hell, even the models from the gallery are missing the animations that RE2R has.

However, even with it's flaws, it was fun:
- Jill is great and looks fantastic in her classic costume, skort and all. Carlos looks great as well.
- I found the dodge move to be unreliable against zombies (i think i did it only once at the beginning of the game and that was it), but it was fun when it worked against Nemesis.
- The overall presentation is top notch, from graphics to sound and music.
- I enjoyed the bosses much more than the bosses from RE2R.
- I can see myself replaying it a couple of times with some of the shop bonuses (i have like 52k points to be used and i have yet to decide what i'm going to buy to not break the game too much for my first replay).

It is a shame that it feels more like an expansion for RE2R than it's own game (it probably was at some point, but that couldn't be sold for 60€/$, couldn't it?), mostly because of how they treated Nemesis and what it could had been, but it was great anyways. Hopefully they will end up adding something more to it down the line like they did to RE2R.

When's REmake REMAKE?

Last edited: