• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Took me almost 5 hours on my first playthrough and I enjoyed the game overall, I just wish there was more of it. Aside from it being very linear, not being able to explore at least a little in the city portion more was a let down. I thought they did a good job hitting the same story beats as the original, but in new ways to make it feel fresh. I was not a big fan of the evolution of Nemesis throughout the game though, and I felt he was under utilized, and I felt like the original Nemesis offered more variety.
two boss fights being virutally the same was a big let down
. The omission of some landmarks was also a letdown as well. But on it's own, the game to me is a 7/10. I feel less compelled to replay it like I did with RE(make)2. Overall a fun game, but definitely felt lacking and left me wanting the game to just have more to it than what I got.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So question...

I got the extended mag and the suppressor upgrades for the pistol by downing Nemesis and getting a box out of him... That feels a bit random... Is there anything I risk missing if I decide to avoid him instead of throwing grenades all the time?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Forgive me, but I never played RE3 — I am a huge fan of RE4 and while I liked RE2 , I felt like RE2 was running too much from everything and not killing enough shit.

Without having played RE3, it seems like it would be more of "my type" of game since it's closer in design to RE4— being more action oriented and all.

To be clear — in RE3 you're encouraged to kill most of the enemies you come across instead of avoiding and running from them? Is that accurate to say?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, picking Classic Carlos should be a crime.

Finished my run on Hardcore with an S Rank even. Didn't expect that. Immediately went into Nightmare and oh boy, that sure will be a ride. Some items are in different locations and there are more enemies. I also died in the opening, lol...

Speaking of the opening. I noticed another Capcom reference. When Brad throws the restaurant's sign at the zombies, it has Morrigan on it. You can barely see her, because you don't get a clear view on the sign, but I'm 100% sure it's her. Darkstalkers ain't dead!

Yes they are and it saddens my heart. :(

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So question...

I got the extended mag and the suppressor upgrades for the pistol by downing Nemesis and getting a box out of him... That feels a bit random... Is there anything I risk missing if I decide to avoid him instead of throwing grenades all the time?
besides the pistol parts he only drops Shotgun shells and then flame rounds

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me, but I never played RE3 — I am a huge fan of RE4 and while I liked RE2 , I felt like RE2 was running too much from everything and not killing enough shit.

Without having played RE3, it seems like it would be more of "my type" of game since it's closer in design to RE4— being more action oriented and all.

To be clear — in RE3 you're encouraged to kill most of the enemies you come across instead of avoiding and running from them? Is that accurate to say?

The game give you plenty of ammo to kill most enemies.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
REmake 2 was great, it was a nice compromise between old and new with a leaning towards the old systems. It felt faithful, yet new at the same time. A good blend of horror and action. Just like the original.

REmake 3 on the other hand is leaving me wanting. it leans more heavily into the action stuff which I don't like much and honestly ends up feeling a little bit like Leon's RE6 campaign. It also doesn't really feel a whole lot like RE3 at all outside of nemesis. I dunno. It's ok. But nothing great.

The thought of a new RE1 remake that leans even more heavily towards the old systems excites the hell out of me though now. I don't think Code Veronica is even worth remaking and RE4 is fine as it is. But a third person, OTS RE1 could be amazing. Chris, Jill, Wesker and Barry in that classic mansion. Remixed slightly but staying more true to layout than even RE2 managed. REmake on GC was and is fantastic. But if capcom want to continue down this road of REmakes, I feel like the first game is the best option. And after seeing Jill's classic outfit in action in the REmake 3 I just want it even more!

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
The lack of mercenaries mode makes me think they're saving it for RE8/Revelations 3. Whatever they have in store for the next game I hope all actors remain relevant. Ethan, Chris, Leon, Claire, Jill, and Carlos.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes,

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack was incredible in this.

They did a really good job of it this time around - not just with some great new versions of the original game's soundtrack (Metamorphosis, the save rooms,
the credits theme I really didn't expect they'd bring back
), but also some really effective new pieces like Azusa Kato's piano-heavy lab theme which kind of reminded me of Parasite Eve.

It's basically exactly what I wanted from the RE2 remake - what's sort of frustrating is that this game almost uses RE2's soundtrack better than the actual RE2 remake; with
the much more faithful save room remix; and Resistance having a new version of Birkin's theme that's exactly what his first form should have sounded like in RE:RE2.

Providing the original soundtrack DLC in the 2 remake was still a good compromise, but it is a bit disappointing that we'll never see it updated in the same way as 3's was.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I expect I'm about at the halfway point with Carlos in the RPD. Thoughts so far.

• I love how much more personality everyone has so far, though some are briefer in their presence than preferable. Jill remains my favorite of the franchise roster, and this game took that to another level.
  • There's only been the one boss fight thus far, but the design is better than REmake2. Much more room to maneuver, less BS attacks, and variety to strategy.
  • I'm mixed on the Zombies. They're less spongey overall and will stay down after making sure they're down, but they're harder to stun and less susceptible to anything outside a headshot. The tracking lunges and variability to the speed of them often negates the dodge and can lead to frustration, compared to usually more reliable stun and run in REmake2
  • The Nemesis sections are extremely short or completely scripted. You have nothing to do but run from him when he shows up, so there's no pressure at all in progression outside of time if you decide to down him for weapon upgrades and ammo.
  • The entry is so game-y. A commemorative statue, without any context of that it had in the original, is a nonsensical vending machine. The files seem geared towards pointing out obvious components to non-puzzles, hitting over the head with green highlighted text, and not sounding like anything anyone would ever write. Despite a larger presence with some minor improvements from REmake2, Raccoon City still feels more like a backdrop than an actual setting or character like it did 22 years ago, and even as a game is a bit disappointing when you see how much attention has been put into settings and narrative over the years since.
  • Not sure how I feel about Carlos taking the spot at RPD and dealing with Brad's fate. It sort of robs Jill of her agency in her story, but I'll reserve final judgement of Carlos' presence there once I'm through the game.
  • Drain Deimos section was probably as tense of a segment as it gets in the franchise. Not sure how I feel of the coincidence of having an enemy forcefully inpregnate in the female lead entry, but the everything else from a gameplay standpoint is fantastic.
Overall, great characters, encounter designs, and pace that's tempered by regression in some elements that should've improved in how the industry has grown. I'm so far expecting to be more fond of 2019 GOTY REmake2 despite have major issues with that game, but this one is still quite good and worth playing this far.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
headshot stun is decreased compared to re2, wonder why they did that.

Yes, but you still have to be somewhat careful with your ammo. It's a great experience.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Also is Jill the physically strongest RE protag?

She uses a fucking hand-held railgun that when it shoots fucking cracks the floor around her legs in a 4 foot spread, that should break every bone in her body.

Oct 25, 2017
Also is Jill the physically strongest RE protag?

She uses a fucking hand-held railgun that when it shoots fucking cracks the floor around her legs in a 4 foot spread, that should break every bone in her body.
latest

Dat Chris and Jill workout routine must be a doozy

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game's HDR is something else. I've literally wasted hours just walking around turning it off and on just to look at the difference. It's astounding how amazing this game looks. I'm going to do another playthrough just to look at the game's aesthetics again.

Oct 25, 2017
A little element I absolutely loved was at certain "puzzles" if you completely read all the files about it then Jill will comment like she knows what she is doing with the parts otherwise she says stuff like "maybe this will work"
specifically mixing the serum
without reading the files she says "maybe I can make a serum with this"
with reading the files she actually details what that ingredient specifically does

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
So I'm taking the game super slow. I made it slightly passed the garage last night. You can "feel" how short the game is going to be. Things are moving so fast. The apartment, small walking section, the demo area, etc.

I started on Hardcore and thus far the game has been smooth sailing. Valen-time is so freaking OP. The regular zombies don't stand a chance. In fact, their increased aggressiveness only makes it easier to kill them. I've mostly been using the knife, even if it does takes a while. Jill's rising slash it so badass!

God, the game is a sight to behold. The classic costume is perfect. Strange that it's not for sale yet. Everyone should have the option to buy it. Well, I'm going back in!!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
A little element I absolutely loved was at certain "puzzles" if you completely read all the files about it then Jill will comment like she knows what she is doing with the parts otherwise she says stuff like "maybe this will work"
specifically mixing the serum
She has a bunch of lines here and there that are easy to miss, like at the start if you let the phone ring she's like "you could call back!"

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I've played a couple of hours now, and somehow I'm enjoying it more than RE2.

Also how do you pull the evasion attacks? Sometimes you roll and she is aiming or gives an attack with the knife, like killing spiders in one hit. But I don't know what should I be pressing.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Spent all day working on my time for both standard and hard-core and finally S ranked both of them. Overall I am absolutely loving this game. It reminds me of playing of re3 on the pc. To me, this was a better approach with moving to more action but not TOO much. The only gripe (outside of that second form of Neme) is the lack of mercenaries.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I guess I'll test it more thoroughly on nightmare whether acid rounds really do more damage to Hunter Betas. On hardcore it takes two rounds, if they don't dodge. I only did that once because three shotgun blasts to the head does the trick better. The main advantage with acid rounds is it stunning them for a while as they convulse.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll test it more thoroughly on nightmare whether acid rounds really do more damage to Hunter Betas. On hardcore it takes two rounds, if they don't dodge. I only did that once because three shotgun blasts to the head does the trick better. The main advantage with acid rounds is it stunning them for a while as they convulse.
I think in general acid rounds are for stunning. They don't work at all like they did on the original games. Lickers would die with one acid round but in the remake I think they were weak to flame rounds. They also stun lock Birkin to death but they don't seem to have the same effect on Nemesis. Here I just used them to stun them in that one room near the end of the game and blasted them with the shotgun. The shotgun feels really strong in general in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
i had a lot of fun with the game, but if this were the first resident evil release after, say, two or three years, I'd be bummed. as a kind of refresher between RE2 and whatever comes next, it was a blast. I'll probably keep playing for a little longer to mess around with some unlocks in the shop. :)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game last night, and while it wasn't really "hard", I just don't understand the way Jill's dodge works at all. Seemed way too random. Try dodging when you hear a groan? 50/50 worked. Try dodging after a lunge? 50/50 worked. Try dodging as a tentacle is about to swipe you? 50/50 worked. I even bought the unlockable manual, and it doesn't seem to do much to help. Carlos on the other hand was easy to use, and you could put zombies in perpetual knockdown combos to kill them with the knife.

Speaking of knockdowns, don't know how to avoid some of the knockdown combos the game sometimes has. Get knocked down by a tentacle, lay on the ground forever without any seemingly way to quick rise, only to get knocked down again as you rise and then bitten by a zombie with seemingly no way to escape. Also, all the zombies seem to have classic Zangief spinning piledriver range with their grabs. Just like in the previous game, they basically zoom speed + vacuum suck you into the grabs, which is ridiculous when you dodge away from them and then try to dash, yet still get grabbed.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
JC48Tqy.jpg

Overall I liked it. Not as much as RE2R but I enjoyed it... Though I might have enjoyed it more if like RE2 I had done Regular/Normal for my first run. I know some say Hardcore is easy but I found there to be so much bullshit.

The last 2 boss fights I fucking hated. And the fact that it ALWAYS put you back in the save room after retrying made it even worse. Also at some point the Magnum became a paperweight as no more ammo ever dropped nor did I ever get any stuff to make ammo for it.

Not in any rush to play it again.

Overall my rankings for RE games this gen would be...

RE7 -> RE2R -> Rev 2 -> RE3.

RE3 still had it's great moments. Jill and Carlos were fantastic. Honestly enjoyed them more as characters than most of the other characters from the games I rate better. Man this also ran amazingly. Sure I didn't have everything maxed out but I enjoyed a 4K and generally 60 FPS experience with the occasional dips into 50 when there was a ton of effects going on.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else complete records only for the points to not show up on the store? I did the "Kill 200 with Assault Rifle" and unlocked the Licker model but I didn't get the points. Frustrating.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I think in general acid rounds are for stunning. They don't work at all like they did on the original games. Lickers would die with one acid round but in the remake I think they were weak to flame rounds. They also stun lock Birkin to death but they don't seem to have the same effect on Nemesis. Here I just used them to stun them in that one room near the end of the game and blasted them with the shotgun. The shotgun feels really strong in general in this game.
Yeah, that seems to be the case which is good I suppose for speed runs but they are rare to find and hard to make. The game actually tells you that flame rounds are best for Nemesis, at least starting with stage 2. The way the game throws explosive rounds at you left and round confuses me. I wish they put all the tips from the loading screens under tutorials since I can't read 75% of them, because of my SSD. 😂

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished my S rank Inferno run at about an hour. Got the platinum trophy.

All I wanna say about that specifically is fuck the final boss and the stun locking insta-kill BS when you're on Nightmare/Inferno mode.

Otherwise, damn, game was great. RE2 Remake is better, but this was still awesome. I really wish it had extra modes though that weren't that Resistance pack in, I don't even want to touch that thing to be honest...

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started tonight and plan to finish tonight. Just got through the
RPD with Carlos
how much longer do I have?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Mid game boss fight: The Clock Tower should have made it in, but I was okay with its representation here. The missing Clock Tower is the least of the game's issues.

The Hospital is a nice change of pace. It could be a little less linear, like most of the game.

One of the office rooms here reminds me of 1.5.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Oh man nightmare mode is brutal! Great challenge so far, you really need a mastery of dodge to survive and not waste any attack. So good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit... I'm dying cause of a stupid door in the hospital treatment room with the two beta hunters... The fucking door is in the way lol

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Said I wasn't going to get it, but caved. Enjoyed this way more than RE2 actually. This felt like a much better blend of survival horror of the first three games and the action of 4-6. It's jut a shame this doesn't have any additional modes.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game tonight, loved every second of it. Started up a new playthrough immediately after. I actually finished that jewel puzzle in the first area this time, last time I had Nemmy smacking my ass as I tried to get the part inside that toy store, died then said fuck it and moved on.

Sep 14, 2018
Nightmare was 2 spooky for me, I'm doing hardcore again to farm shop points and try to get better at the dodge, I'm getting the manual in hopes that will help.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Got master of unlocking done early (missed a couple street locks heh), along with the jewels, so I decided to see if I can do a sub 2 hours run on assisted while not using item box and healing items. Think I should be able to get to the hospital by the half way point.

If all goes well, that would be a crap ton of points that I can use to get ready for Hardcore (and maybe Nightmare later :O) again. I actually think the point system and shop is a pretty nice way to add some replayability, though I still wish they would add Mad Jackal.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough in 5 hours, with a miserable Rank C (Not that I care about ranks, but still...).

Final Battle spoilers:
When the classic music from the final boss from the original game kicks in... Man, I just had to stop. I had goosebumps and I felt like my eyes were getting all water-y. It ws just so freaking amazing! Too bad the battle itself was extremely easy, even easier than the one in the original. I still prefer the original final boss, but watching Jill carrying the railgun and blasting Nemesis' mouth with it... Holy shit. Too bad they wasted the "You want S.T.A.R.S.? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S." line earlier in the game...

Also, the ending:
Anyone else found the destruction of Raccoon City to be... underhwelming? On the original the shot is longer, and you see all the places you visited being blasted to pieces, one by one for extra nostalgia and memories. In this remake, it's just a gigantic explosion and that's it. I expected it to be more... emotional?

Anyways, great game, and a fantastic remake. Like RE2 Remake, it doesn't replace the original, but it is an amazing complement.