• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Just finished it. Part of me is glad for this game, part of me is heartbroken Capcom didn't think it deserve the development time and/or resources and/or right devs to do it. The bosses fights were great and if you played the original RE3 and didn't get teary eyes during the credits you don't have a soul. Also Nicholai is top villain material. But they just didn't get the RE gameplay structure right. Raccoon City was pathetically small and linear which also massively hurted Nemesis as a stalker. Virtually no puzzles as well.

RE3 feels like a direct to video sequel.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I had my first real encounter with Nemesis and I remember hearing that if you take him down he can drop a weapon attachment. So I decided to go for it and it happened. How often should I stand my ground vs running away? Will he keep dropping upgrades until I've gotten them all or is it a random chance? And can these upgrades be found elsewhere in the world if I never get him to drop it?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so I had my first real encounter with Nemesis and I remember hearing that if you take him down he can drop a weapon attachment. So I decided to go for it and it happened. How often should I stand my ground vs running away? Will he keep dropping upgrades until I've gotten them all or is it a random chance? And can these upgrades be found elsewhere in the world if I never get him to drop it?

All of his encounters are scripted, only some of them drop the parts, iirc the first fight doesn't net you anything. In my experience it's not random, those upgrades are exclusive, not gonna find them anywhere else.

I recommend downing him once, if he doesn't drop anything, just reload the checkpoint and don't waste resources.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I was surprised of how easy it was to take down Nemmy, even on Hardcore. Also having finished up the streets I guess, is that really it of him stalking around the area (and just being set pieces and boss fight)? :(

I was able to get a couple upgrades from taking him down, and guess that's it too?

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people are finding Nemesis hard/annoying. At least on Hardcore he's just a resource management check. Nemesis shows up and asks "hey, got any grenades?", and I'm like "yeah, sure, take it", and then I collect my loot.

If anything, I'm missing a more legit fight with him so far, every time he shows up he just eats a grenade and I move on.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
All of his encounters are scripted, only some of them drop the parts, iirc the first fight doesn't net you anything. In my experience it's not random, those upgrades are exclusive, not gonna find them anywhere else.

I recommend downing him once, if he doesn't drop anything, just reload the checkpoint and don't waste resources.
Alright, so since I already got the part in this encounter, now that he is back up and chasing me again I shouldn't fight him anymore?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So when a zombie grabs you, you mash A? It isn't obvious what exactly is going on since they always bite me anyway

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, at that point, you're gonna be just wasting resources.
I dropped 2 cases off of him in the demo area.

Oh damn, then it looks like it could be random after all.

Sawyer Just to be clear, this was in the same scripted chase? As in you downed him, ran off, and when he got back up you took him down and he dropped another upgrade? As opposed to it being a different encounter later on in the same location.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the Game Over death animations are so brutal. Especially the final boss and the thing after.

Sawyer Just to be clear, this was in the same scripted chase? As in you downed him, ran off, and when he got back up you took him down and he dropped another upgrade? As opposed to it being a different encounter later on in the same location.
I think one was on the way to the subway control building and one to the station.

Oct 25, 2017

I got three upgrades from him so far, but always in slightly different areas. When he just gets up and comes at you before a hard break, he never dropped anything.

In one of the chase sequences he just dropped ammo.

Some of the Game Over death animations are so brutal. Especially the final boss and the thing after.
I just wish they quicker. Capcom is starting to annoy me with this trend of taking five billion years to get back to the game once you're locked in a death animation. It's painful in DMC5.

Who's playing on Hardcore? How hard is it?
I'm finding it pretty challenging, but I'm not a great player. Not annoying in any way, though. I wouldn't want to lower the difficulty. It's very fun.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help with this Nemesis encounter? :

After you've been to the gun shop, Nemesis drops down and unpacks his rocket launcher. The game acts like this is a running section, where I am able to successfully dodge spam my way away from the rockets. However, when I get round the first bend, Nemesis literally power sprints right up to me, swings twice and I'm dead. I cannot turn fast enough to take him down with my grenade launcher? Am I doing something wrong?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Not really, this just may be the second scripted encounter in that area. There are a few.

So when a zombie grabs you, you mash A? It isn't obvious what exactly is going on since they always bite me anyway

You take less damage, but they will always bite you.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help with this Nemesis encounter? :

After you've been to the gun shop, Nemesis drops down and unpacks his rocket launcher. The game acts like this is a running section, where I am able to successfully dodge spam my way away from the rockets. However, when I get round the first bend, Nemesis literally power sprints right up to me, swings twice and I'm dead. I cannot turn fast enough to take him down with my grenade launcher? Am I doing something wrong?

Don't try and take him down in my experience with this section, I ran and did the dodge when the laser goes red and was able to get round the corners with little trouble, you just need to get past the police car at the end for a cutscene to kick in

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I like the game, but it's a pretty obvious step down from RE2. Still fun though.

I'd love for a standalone game with this Jill - she's badass.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I think one was on the way to the subway control building and one to the station.
I got three upgrades from him so far, but always in slightly different areas. When he just gets up and comes at you before a hard break, he never dropped anything.

In one of the chase sequences he just dropped ammo.
Not really, this just may be the second scripted encounter in that area. There are a few.

Okay, I understand now. I'll wait until the next encounter to fight, thanks.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Just finished it. Part of me is glad for this game, part of me is heartbroken Capcom didn't think it deserve the development time and/or resources and/or right devs to do it. The bosses fights were great and if you played the original RE3 and didn't get teary eyes during the credits you don't have a soul. Also Nicholai is top villain material. But they just didn't get the RE gameplay structure right. Raccoon City was pathetically small and linear which also massively hurted Nemesis as a stalker. Virtually no puzzles as well.

RE3 feels like a direct to video sequel.
Yeah, it's a real shame they didn't give it the proper development it deserved. It basically feels like a big budget DLC expansion for RE2.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
So far I'm really enjoying it. Similar structure to the other games in that there are still plenty of lock and key style puzzles and running back and forth across areas required. The explorable areas are smaller but it's not a linear action game like some are making it out to be. It still has the adventure game feel to me at least.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
I think the game was harshly criticized by the reviewers. It is such a good game. Boss battles are by far the best in the series

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can we just ditch the remakes now and get a brand new game with Jill as the protagonist again? I really like this version of her.
I'd love an RE Engine-powered Revelations 3 with Jill and either Claire or Leon as the playable protagonists.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Had a big session with the game today. Steam says I played for about 6 hours, in-game timer is at 4:30h. Of course, I haven't beaten it yet, but that time should give you an idea where I am.

I just did the hospital part with Carlos.

The game's a lot of fun, especially the minute-to-minute gameplay. Sure, it could be be bigger and it shows in many areas (and no, I don't mean the game's length). But personally I don't mind that much, at least not to the degree where I would say that I'm disappointed or something. I will articulate more thoughts once I'm done, but I do agree with some of the impressions about Nemesis, the more corridor-like level design outside of 2 areas so far and the lack of proper puzzles. I wouldn't weight them as much as some of the reviewers and say that the game is a 5 or 6 because of that, though. That's way too harsh in my opinion. So far, the game is a really good 8 for me. It's just a blast to play, thanks to its gameplay mechanics. Jill and Carlos have a great chemistry and the game still has many of those tense moments, where you're not sure if something is about to happen. Those moments where you walk slowly, look around every corner etc. For the first time I was finally scared again of a certain enemy type.

I'm talking about the hunters in the hospital with Carlos. They haven't been much of a threat for me since some time now. But RE3R makes them, at least for me, a threat again. Hell, I even died to them a couple of times due to their instant death attack.

One thing I was surprised to see is that Carlos doesn't have a dodge move. He has a parry instead. A parry! He punches things right in the face. It feels great.

What did surprise me the most so far is how much of a reimagination the game actually is. The RE2 remake pretty much followed the original, took some liberties here and there and changed some things up. But the RE3 remake pretty much establishes right from the beginning that this is an entirely new take in pretty much every regard on the original. I can understand why some would've liked a bit more faithful approach. In fact, I wish they would've stayed a bit more faithful in some areas (like that one ironic area they unfortunately decided to not include plus some other things), but I also like this take on the original. Granted, I don't know how the final areas will turn out, so of course I will wait with my conclusion until I beat the game. But so far I'm enjoying it, even with some of the stuff I wish they would've handled differently.

I do like some of the nods and references. The RPD part was full of it and kinda underlines that the remake of 3 is a pretty good companion piece to the Resident Evil 2 remake. Perhaps that's how Capcom thought about it internally as well, considering that it got developed alongside and just releases one year after it. Speaking of the RPD:

Having to shoot Brad this time to get his STARS card instead of Nemesis finishing him off kinda hurt. I do like that you once again get the chance of either staying outside and gettnig the card, thus having an advantage in the RPD, or running inside once T tells Carlos to get inside. At least I think you have a choice here?

Looking forward to playing more of it tomorrow.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does the beginning of RE2 reconcile with the beginning of RE3 in this remake? The CDC and the federal government have quarantined Raccoon City. The outbreak definitely made national news, and probably international news as well. How did Leon and Claire 1. not know about the outbreak, and 2. get into the city? Same thing for the truck driver.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Ummmm is this a fucking joke? Did this really get me to the 2nd boss fight, give me no inkling it was coming, and not even allow me to get geared up?!?!?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Is it just me or did they make the dodge window while aiming way tighter than it was in the demo?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody bother fighting Nemesis? I just run away to conserve ammo.

You should down him at least 4 times to grab some loot from him. He has some upgrades you cannot get anywhere else. If he already dropped a box, then don't waste your ammo on him. Wait until you progressed with your objectives. If he shows up again after some progression, then down him again. If you have grenades, those immediately do the trick (at least on normal).

First time you should down him is the first time he shows up after the prologue. The second time is after the cutscene plays where he does the thing to the zombie outside the diner

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You should down him at least 4 times to grab some loot from him. He has some upgrades you cannot get anywhere else. If he already dropped a box, then don't waste your ammo on him. Wait until you progressed with your objectives. If he shows up again after some progression, then down him again. If you have grenades, those immediately do the trick (at least on normal).
Oh damn i ddin't know that. I'm at Carlos mission right now, but i'll make sure to down him on my next playthtough. :)